Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 I Miss Bobby Orr Most of All!!! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly get a little misty when I watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psKzbo0vC6I
Comments welcome.

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  13:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. I never got to see him play, but he was amazing

~~~~~COME ON STARS, LETS BRING IT HOME~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  14:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish that I got to watch him. I have read so many books about him but that dosent do justice. Does anyone know any good books about him?
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  15:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saku Steen

I wish that I got to watch him. I have read so many books about him but that dosent do justice. Does anyone know any good books about him?

I would suggest NOT buying "Searching for Bobby Orr".
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  15:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:

I love that book! That was my favourite one about him. Why do you think its bad?
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  15:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never got to see him play but in that video he was amazing. He has such a beautiful stride and just so good.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  15:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:

I love that book! That was my favourite one about him. Why do you think its bad?

Start another thread. Let's chat about it there.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  04:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Player. One of the games best.

Leafs 4 Playoffs!!
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  20:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He really was unbelievable. Interesting to hear Lafleur talk about him with such high praise.

Here is a hypothetical question. If he would have been able to play, even on only one knee for another seven years or so, how many more Norris trophies do you think he would have won? I think at least two or three even with Potvin and Robinson around.

Anyway, I am now officially putting him as Number 1 in my book. Messier 2nd.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  21:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

He really was unbelievable. Interesting to hear Lafleur talk about him with such high praise.

Here is a hypothetical question. If he would have been able to play, even on only one knee for another seven years or so, how many more Norris trophies do you think he would have won? I think at least two or three even with Potvin and Robinson around.

Anyway, I am now officially putting him as Number 1 in my book. Messier 2nd.

Excellent Andy, excellent. Welcome to the gang. What changed your mind?
Lafleur is one of my all time favourites. He's classy and humble.
On one knee I think he would have won three or four more. On two knees he ends up with 15 or 16. You heard Lafleur. He's still the best.
Go to Top of Page

Blubberboy
Rookie

155 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  11:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coolz video.

Go `nucks.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  06:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus - Well, when it comes to the "greatest ever" topic (again, referring to not the greatest career results but greatest player to have graced the game over a period of time), a lot of it ultimately just comes down to one's own personal gut feeling about a hockey player, which goes way beyond statistics as you know. Watching that video reminded me that though I was really young when I saw Orr (and therefore have trouble forming as strong an assessment about him as Messier whose career spanned the prime of my hockey fan career), I still did have the good fortune of watching Orr as a little kid (even live at MLG a couple of times by the way). Although my memory is admittedly a bit vague, in thinking it over, in light of all these discussions on the various threads as well as my comments on one of the threads about the significance of a BEYOND superstar DEFENCEMAN as opposed to forward, I concluded that I shouldn't let my obviously better ability to assess Messier alter what my gut is telling me, which is that there is no hockey player more than Bobby Orr that I would want on my team.

Edited by - andyhack on 04/08/2007 07:00:42
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  13:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another amazing video on him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9Wi713o&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ethescore%2Eca%2Fscore64%2Findex%2Easp%3FpollID%3D60
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  18:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That really was an amazing video, Oil Country. The defensive plays are as incredible as the offensive ones.

Good job in finding it. You gotta love the internet and youtube!
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  19:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great video! I put him in the same terms I put Gretz - one of the main reasons he was so gifted is his ability to see the game. That's why he made the plays he did, both offensively and defensively. A truly great player, it's too bad more people didn't get a chance to see him play
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  09:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

Great video! I put him in the same terms I put Gretz - one of the main reasons he was so gifted is his ability to see the game. That's why he made the plays he did, both offensively and defensively. A truly great player, it's too bad more people didn't get a chance to see him play

You are so correct Manninm. I think he doesn't get the credit he deserves for his vision. It's hard to know what Orr was actually seeing on the ice. He played at such an incredible pace and like Gretzky always seemed to be a step or two ahead of everyone in every play. It's staggering to consider that still to this day the only two guys to have more assists in a season are Gretzky and Lemieux and Mario only did it once. Clearly he was an incredible playmaker.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  15:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another highlight reel of Orr. The video quality is poor at times but it shows some different plays. Some are repeats but the ones that aren't are great to see. Watch the play at about 2:15 of the clip. The angle he puts the puck in is impressive. It's pretty much all in slow motion which is too bad because you don't actually get to see how fast it all happened but at the same time in slow motion you see the play and don't miss anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRhWLQST4Qk

"Go chase headlights!"
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  14:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this interesting. Denis Savard who most consider to be an elite talent put up the following numbers from age 19 - 27.
1980-81 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 76 28 47 75
1981-82 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 80 32 87 119
1982-83 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 78 35 86 121
1983-84 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 75 37 57 94
1984-85 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 79 38 67 105
1985-86 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 80 47 69 116
1986-87 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 70 40 50 90
1987-88 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 80 44 87 131

Now consider this. Bobby Orr put up the following numbers at the same ages while being a phenomenal defenseman.
1966-67 Boston Bruins NHL 61 13 28 41
1967-68 Boston Bruins NHL 46 11 20 31
1968-69 Boston Bruins NHL 67 21 43 64
1969-70 Boston Bruins NHL 76 33 87 120
1970-71 Boston Bruins NHL 78 37 102 139
1971-72 Boston Bruins NHL 76 37 80 117
1972-73 Boston Bruins NHL 63 29 72 101
1973-74 Boston Bruins NHL 74 32 90 122

Savards PPG = 1.37
Orr's PPg = 1.36
Yikes. Puts his offensive numbers in perspective.

Orr's last season as a Bruin he played only 10 games before his knees wouldn't allow any more. He had 18 points. 1.8 PPG or on pace for 144 points for 80 games.
He is still 4th all time for career PPG. Granted we didn't see him play to the point where his numbers started to decline, but still, that's pretty incredible.

"Go chase headlights!"
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  09:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another fantastic video link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSDw3tMa7ec

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

Guest6743
( )

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  11:10:33  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure many people think of Denis Savard as an elite talent. Maybe a very good player in a high-scoring era.

When I was a kid, I wore number 4 because Bobby Orr did, too. I even taped my stick like him, with that single wrap around the toe.

He was awesome.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  13:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else miss the days when a superstar would actually fight?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AhKTaenqQ&NR=1

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  18:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never got to see Orr play

But one time I had a really bad hockey game, my Dad say's ''Every player has a bad game, do you think Wayne Gretzky never had a bad game?'' and I said''No'' and then my Dad says''Every player has a bad game, except Orr''

Now is that true, for you guy's like Willus or AndyHack where you say you've seen him play, did he ever have a bad game?
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  10:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and Willus remember when you asked me who my Dad though was the best player this is what he said.''Simply the greatest hockey player of all time - I always wanted to skate
like him - notice his style of skating - knees bent, back forward
slightly and always having a firm control on his centre of gravity so
that he can turn either way at anytime.''

Go to Top of Page

Guest4794
( )

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  06:31:26  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

But one time I had a really bad hockey game, my Dad say's ''Every player has a bad game, do you think Wayne Gretzky never had a bad game?'' and I said''No'' and then my Dad says''Every player has a bad game, except Orr''

Now is that true, for you guy's like Willus or AndyHack where you say you've seen him play, did he ever have a bad game?

If you want to see pretty much the perfect game right now, see Lidstrom play. The guy is as close to perfection the last couple of years as you can get. He may not have Orr's offensive flair or skating abilities but he is solid. I can't remember when Lidstrom has had a bad game.
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  05:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice videos of a great player, his kind of a reckless playing style makes him very entertaining to watch.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  11:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I´m also Cånädiön

Nice videos of a great player, his kind of a reckless playing style makes him very entertaining to watch.

I find Forsberg reminds me of Orr in that way.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  11:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

I never got to see Orr play

Well unfortunately I didn't see every game he played, but every player has off games. Orr included. There were games where he was average instead of his usual dominant self but it certainly wasn't very often. This I suspect had everything to do with how his knee felt.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  13:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that in itself if the difference between superstar, HOF type players and none superstars. When a superstar has an off game, they are just good. When they are on their game, they are head and shoulders above the rest.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  06:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pain Train - I think one of the games I saw him at MLG was actually an off game. No goals, no assists. Just got the first star.

I'm sure he had some games he wasn't too happy with though. Apparently he put the puck in his own net by mistake once. Anyone ever seen that? Or was that just a line by my gym teacher to cheer us up when we made mistakes in sports?
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  18:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think that in itself if the difference between superstar, HOF type players and none superstars. When a superstar has an off game, they are just good. When they are on their game, they are head and shoulders above the rest.

I think you just described Sidney Crosby.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  20:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone wants to see an example of Orr's blazing speed check out the link Oil Country posted earlier in this thread at 1:50 of the clip. This is what happened when he would get caught out of position.
On second thought, here's the link again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9Wi713o

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  21:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more good videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYIuSXM8AhE&mode=related&search=NHL

Nice diarrhea commercial at the beginning of this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z-A68Tz85Y&mode=related&search=

Cherry and Orr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45rsV9V6PrU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWXeQiXioyo&mode=related&search=

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never got to see Orr play, but I wish I could have. He was probably the best defenceman to ever play the game.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  16:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nash there is not probably about it. Orr was the best defenseman ever and I would say it more likely to see another Gretzky before you see another Orr. He had better offensive ability that most forwards in the same era and his defensive ability was outstanding to say the least. Plus, he was arguably the best skater in the history of the league, especially when you consider the tube skates that were the norm back then.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  17:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the only person i thought might come close to Orr was Ray Bourque, he was also amazing.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  18:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just my opinion, of course, but Ray Bourque to Bobby Orr is like Adam Oates to Wayne Gretzky. Some similarities, but not close enough to make a real comparison.

Something we can all agree on....Bobby Orr was the best defenceman to ever play the game. I wore #4 as a kid because of Bobby Orr. As my dad always said, though, "Son, you skate like Bobby Orr, but you're as smart as IRON ORE."

Ouch.

I still ove the guy.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  19:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to throw another stunning fact out there about Orr, I think most people realize he won two Art Ross trophy's which is ridiculous, but did you realize he was also runner up 3 times and third another? So he either won the scoring race or was top three for 6 years (basically until he couldn't play anymore) while playing defence.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  16:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Just my opinion, of course, but Ray Bourque to Bobby Orr is like Adam Oates to Wayne Gretzky. Some similarities, but not close enough to make a real comparison.

I'm a major league Bourque fan BUT I can easily agree with anyone who says Orr was the best defenceman ever (makes sense, him being the greatest player of all time and all) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway, all due respect to defencemen I didn't see (Harvey and Shore in particular) but it's hard to imagine any of them were better than Orr.

As for Ray, I'm almost sure he wouldn't hesitate to agree with us. He was thrown into a pretty difficult situation following Orr in Boston and handled it extremely well and with loads of class. I believe he's probably in the top five of the best defencemen ever.

Also, I'd adjust the "Oates to Gretzky" comment to "Sakic to Gretzky" as the quiet consistency and leadership of a guy like Sakic captures Bourque a little better than Oates in my opinion. I'm not knocking Oates - he was a tremendous playmaker and I think he deserves to get in the Hall of Fame. But Oates was never close to being a Hart winner the way Bourque was in '90 - losing a very close vote to Messier who was incredible that year. Anyway, "Sakic to Gretzky" sounds a lot better to this Bourque fan.

Edited by - andyhack on 10/24/2007 16:36:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page