Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Classy Moments in Hockey History Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  21:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FzYJd_vYI

This is definitely one of the classy moments. What are some of your favorite classy moment stories? I thought I'd throw this topic out there as all the suspension stuff, though interesting, is a little bit on the dark and gloomy side of things.

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  08:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the ovation that Gretzky got for his last game in Canada. - April 16, 1999 vs. the Ottawa Senators (the game ended a 2-2 tie)

In the same vein, the ovation that Maurice Richard got when the Forum in Montreal closed in 1996. (More than 16 minutes)

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  09:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Linden became Vancouver's all time leading scorer. After the goal, the refs were trying to get the game going, but the ovation was still going on. The linesman then skated to the boards and grabbed and waterbottle and started to fix a "phantom" problem with the ice so that Linden could get the curtain call he deserved. Then the other linesman came over to help. They kept fixing that phantom problem until the ovation was dying down.

(I was told this story by Ryan Walter in a motivational presentation I attended)

We forget about the refs and linesmen sometimes, but for the most part, they are a classy bunch!

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  14:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was pretty classy of Guy Carbonneau, after winning the cup in 93 with Montreal to hand it to Denis Savard first. Savard was injured and couldn't play in the last games of the series and helped Jacques Demers coach. Classy move on Carbonneau's part.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  03:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sakic immediately giving the Cup to Bourque was classy (though kind of the obvious thing to do I guess).

I also thought Orr showed a lot of class during all the Eagleson investigations. Noone had more of a right than him to come out and really trash Eagleson and yet he remained relatively quiet and in the background throughout all that. I've always felt there was a certain dignity to Orr, and it showed again there.

Another kind of strange one I have is, of all people, Harold Ballard! I think I read somewhere that he had all the phone operators at MLG answer the phones something like "Maple Leaf Gardens, home of Darryl Sittler" after he scored the '76 Canada Cup winning goal. That was kind of a nice thing to do actually. Too bad he went ballistic on Sittler a few years later, doing stuff that really soured things between them. They had a really wacko relationship, didn't they!
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  07:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, obviously I'm a HUGE Bourque fan, but this story too belongs here (copied from the Boston Globe after he retired):

"My single favorite #77 moment was not at a hockey game, but rather during "The Last Skate" at the old Garden, when all the then current and former Bruins stars took the ice for one final skate following their game against the Canadiens. Fallen star Norman Leveille tied up his skates, and courageously stood up off his wheelchair. Raymond Bourque took Norman's hands and wide contagious smile and the rest of his fragile body around for a lasting skate. The applause and cheers rivaled that of any championship moment the Garden had ever seen, with no dry eye in the crowd, and it showed what kind of fighter Norman is, and what supreme character of a person Raymond personafies."
Go to Top of Page

Guest0942
( )

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  09:11:09  Reply with Quote
Gretzky handing the 1987 Cup to Steve Smith first, one season after Smith scored on his own goal by banking a shot in off Fuhr, and thus bowing out of the 1986 playoffs. It was like Gretzky making a statement about how important Steve was to their win as a team, and that they had lost as a team the year before.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  18:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourite NHL moment that I have seen would have to have been just a couple of nights ago when Sundin recorded his leading goal and point as a maple leaf. It was cool to be back in Toronto that night at the game. I've never heard the crowd cheer that loudly before anywhere, not even in Montreal.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  21:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

My favourite NHL moment that I have seen would have to have been just a couple of nights ago when Sundin recorded his leading goal and point as a maple leaf. It was cool to be back in Toronto that night at the game. I've never heard the crowd cheer that loudly before anywhere, not even in Montreal.

GO PREDATORS GO

You know what's interesting is that Sundin got an assist and the announcer said he is now the Leafs leading point getter but Sundin went to the Ref and said he didn't get the assist, witch he didn't. He later scored that game to actually pass it.

I think that's the true story correct me if I'm worong.

Eat,Sleep,Watch Hockey,Play Hockey
The Perfect Life!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2165
( )

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  13:44:05  Reply with Quote
my favorite moment is hextall taking out chelios
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  14:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually what happened was that they gave Sundin an assist when he never even touched the puck or was anywhere near it on that shift. All leaf fans would have seen this beacause they showed that play on TSN the next day. It was better that he got the goal and point to pass sittler at the same time though anyways

GO PREDATORS GO

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 10/18/2007 14:14:13
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  19:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there was an interesting one tonight from an unlikely source (if the rumours about him are true), Marc Savard. Go to the Bruins highlights and watch the chance Savard had in the first period, just off to the right of Lundqvist. After being robbed, Savard actually sort of lay on his back in disbelief for a second, then got up, and unless I am mistaken, went over and tapped Lundqvist with his stick. I'm guessing that he said something to him like "nice save". It seems like that to me anyway. Is that what you guys see?

I'm watching the highlights on the official Boston Bruins webpage.

http://bruins.nhl.tv/team/console?hlg=20072008,2,102

I assume everyone has this site on their list of favorites!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  18:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going with the time Bobby Clarke broke Valeri Kharlamov's ankle in the 1972 Summit Series.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  07:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg - any interesting stories from your days in the NHL on this topic? My feeling is that, on the whole, hockey players are very good guys and that there probably are endless stories of some of the nice classy things they do, whether on the ice or off the ice.

Maybe even Bobby Clarke did a lot of classy things in his day. Going out and intentionally taking Kharlamov out of the '72 series wasn't one of them though!
Go to Top of Page

Greg Smith
Rookie

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  13:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Andyhack, I just saw the replay. It did look like Savard was congradualting him on the nice save.

The "classiest" thing I've ever senn anybody in hockey do was done by Patrick roy in my last season in the NHL. Mike Gartner shot the puck. Patrick Roy jumped onto it and fell back with his glove in the net. the referees called it no goal. roy went over after the play and told the refs about what had happened. It was called a goal. That was the classiest, most sportsman-like thing I've ever seen in the NHL.

After playing in the NHL, it's hard to watch hockey games.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page