Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 20 Greatest Individual Sporting Achievements Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  20:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thoughts?
http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/18/bannister-four-minute-mile_cx_de_lr_1118bannister.html

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  21:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh individual sporting achievements...I was gonna say where's the Miracle on Ice??

Breaking a 4-minute mile is quite an achievement. That seems to be the only one they mention...or am I just missing the other 19?
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  21:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Oh individual sporting achievements...I was gonna say where's the Miracle on Ice??

Breaking a 4-minute mile is quite an achievement. That seems to be the only one they mention...or am I just missing the other 19?

There is a link at the bottom of the article to all 20.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4024
( )

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  21:24:10  Reply with Quote
that was awesome! wait.. was the number one spot the top or the number 20? they were all incredible feats!!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  21:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4024

that was awesome! wait.. was the number one spot the top or the number 20? they were all incredible feats!!

The 4 minute mile is the top spot.

Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  05:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where´s the poolplayer? Just kidding, great achievements.

What´s your thoughts willus, anything regarding the placement of the two hockeyplayers on the list?
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  06:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the 4-minute mile was a great achievement it deserves to be #1, and to think he did that on a cinder track..."First Four Minutes" is a great book...

I think that Glenn Halls 502 consecutive starts as goalie should be up there, and with no mask...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  06:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few thoughts;
If they're making a list of individual achievements why are there team sports figures on the list? Basketball and Hockey players don't belong on the list. Baseball players make more sense on this list though because it is more of an individualist game.
I think there is a glaring omission on the list. Terry Fox should not only be on this list but top it. What he did was not only an incredible physical feat it was inspirational as well. He ran the equivalent of a marathon a day, everyday for almost half a year. Over 5000km. people who run marathons require weeks to recover. He did it every day, on one leg. That's the top spot on my list.

I'm surprised to see Carl Lewis's 84 Olympic performance not on the list.

The four minute mile is such an iconic feat it deserves to be high on the list.

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  07:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

There is a link at the bottom of the article to all 20.

Ah! I didn't see that. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  07:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other individual feats that come to mind are :

Edwin Moses 122 consecutive races won in the 400 meter hurdles.

Vasily Alexeyev 80 world records in weightlifting as a superheaveyweight, and first to clean, and jerk 500 lbs.

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  10:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess Forbes believes Barry Bonds feat of 755 home runs doesn't deserve to be on the list. I understand thinking Barry used steroids so he shouldn't be on this list but at least mention Hank Aaron reaching that feat.

Fan of Leafs Nation
Go to Top of Page

Guest4115
( )

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  19:54:50  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Yes the 4-minute mile was a great achievement it deserves to be #1, and to think he did that on a cinder track..."First Four Minutes" is a great book...

Just a little perspective on the 4 minute mile. When it was first accomplished the WR for 100m dash was in the 10.5 seconds range for mens. Typical results would come in at the 11 seconds range. To accomplish the 4 minute mile, the pace would be 15 seconds per 100m or better and keep it up for one mile or 1600m. No wonder they all thought it was impossible.

The record now is about 20 seconds under 4 minutes or just a little under 14 seconds per 100m. Sick.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  17:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...I think there is a glaring omission on the list. Terry Fox should not only be on this list but top it. What he did was not only an incredible physical feat it was inspirational as well. He ran the equivalent of a marathon a day, everyday for almost half a year. Over 5000km. people who run marathons require weeks to recover. He did it every day, on one leg. That's the top spot on my list....

I totally agree Willus. But unfortunately it wasn't an organized/recognized sporting event so understandably it's not on there. The guy is a hero at any rate.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

...I think there is a glaring omission on the list. Terry Fox should not only be on this list but top it. What he did was not only an incredible physical feat it was inspirational as well. He ran the equivalent of a marathon a day, everyday for almost half a year. Over 5000km. people who run marathons require weeks to recover. He did it every day, on one leg. That's the top spot on my list....

I totally agree Willus. But unfortunately it wasn't an organized/recognized sporting event so understandably it's not on there. The guy is a hero at any rate.

It's true it wasn't an organized sporting event. But I don't see much difference in what he did and the woman who swam the English channel. Not really a sporting event but still an incredible physical feat.

Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  11:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another physical feat worth mentioning is when Göran Kropp drove his bike from Stockholm to Mount Everest. Climbed the mountain by himself without oxygen and drove his bike home.
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  11:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to climb everst without oxygen?

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  13:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, several people a year have climbed it without oxygen tanks recently.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  15:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, and the Discovery Channel has a documentary on the climbers, it takes longer to do it without oxygen as you need to spend more time at the rest stations acclimatizing to the altitude.

They mention this, but I can not remember how many that die each year trying to climb the great mountain...and we are trying to ban body contact in hockey...

- - Marshall McLuhan

Edited by - PuckNuts on 08/10/2007 15:25:48
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  15:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

It's true it wasn't an organized sporting event. But I don't see much difference in what he did and the woman who swam the English channel. Not really a sporting event but still an incredible physical feat.

Actually there is a big difference in the minds of the sporting world. Swimming the English Channel was a recognized feat that had been recorded for decades with hundreds of attempts (even to this day). Terry Fox's accomplishment was no less amazing but he was the first to try his, and unfortunately was unsuccessful in the attempt (remember he set out to run across Canada). Maybe the defining factor was that there was no benchmark for success. Having said this, I'm in agreement that Terry Fox's run is actually a bigger single physical accomplishment than ANY of the people's on this list...and I only put it forward as a possible reason as to why he wasn't on the list.

What about Rick Hansen? The Man in Motion travelled around the world (40,000km in 2 years = 55km/day)
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  07:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I´m also Cånädiön

Another physical feat worth mentioning is when Göran Kropp drove his bike from Stockholm to Mount Everest. Climbed the mountain by himself without oxygen and drove his bike home.

Oh big whoop. What a showoff.

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  13:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger Aldag.

Over 200 consecutive games as a O-line in the CFL.

Eat,Sleep,Watch Hockey,Play Hockey
The Perfect Life!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page