Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Where the teams get their names Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  10:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9930

Actually, they aren't called Senators in Canada. They're MP's so that's not where the Ottawa Senators name comes from.

Frank Mahovlich was appointed to the Canadian Senate by Prime Minister Jean Chretien, that makes him a Canadian Senator...

The Senate and the House of Commons sit in separate chambers on Parliament Hill, which is located in Ottawa, Ontario.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...

Edited by - PuckNuts on 05/01/2007 10:30:25
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  12:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

I believe Habs is short for Les Habitants....I don't know where the Les Habitants comes from though...maybe having to do with French-Canadian history

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden

just to go along with what you said manninm good ol wikipedia to the rescue
"The franchise is officially known as Le Club de Hockey Canadien, but they are usually referred to as "Les Canadiens de Montréal" and their English name. Other French nicknames for the team include Le Canadien, Le Bleu-Blanc-Rouge, La Sainte-Flanelle, Le Tricolore, Les Glorieux, Les Habitants and Le Grand Club. In English, the main nickname is the Habs (coming from "Les Habitants")." nice work man

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave - win or lose. -Gordie Howe
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  01:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Canadian parliment are MPs. In the house of Senate, there are Senators, so yes, Canada has sentators.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  20:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well at least some teams names can actually relate to the teams surrounding area

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page