Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Crosby outrates Steve Nash on National TV Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  21:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So some haters feel that Crosby is overated.

Two weeks ago, when Pittsburgh played Boston on NBC nationally the NHL was going head to head against the NBA featuring Phoenix with MVP Steve Nash playing (can't remember opponent).

Guess what? The Pens/Bruins game on NBC, had a higher Neilsen rating all across the USA than the NBA. This is an amazing thing for the NHL. This hasn't happend in over a decade if ever (not sure). I guess all the attention for the NHL would have nothing to do with the overated Sidney Crosby...would it? (sarcasm off) His accomplishments as a 19 yr. old on the ice is are amazing to be sure, but to out draw the NBA featuring Nash on a Saturday morning, on national TV, might be even more significant. In the Pittsburgh market, nearly 40% of the people we're tuned in. This has NEVER happened before in Pittsburgh -even in the cup years!

To further that, the new Crosby Gatorade commercial is the first nationally syndicated TV commercial in the US since Gretzky played. Anybody who tries to minimize the importance of Crosby to the NHL, whether on, or off-ice, is a deluded moron. Fortunately the NHL, sponsors and the media recognize who the meal ticket of the NHL will be for years to come. Sid also has the most purchased jersey in the league, followed by 4 Sabres. In a couple of years Ovechkin will be another Kovalchuk.

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  21:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a great accomplishment for the league and hockey in the US. now we need it to stay this way.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  21:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
In a couple of years Ovechkin will be another Kovalchuk.

You saying Kovalchuk's bad? 82 GP 42 G 34 A 76 PTS in only his 4th NHL season last time i checked that's not bad.

quote:
Anybody who tries to minimize the importance of Crosby to the NHL, whether on, or off-ice, is a deluded moron.

I guess im a deluded moron because i would enjoy the NHL more without him, I don't think i've ever watched an NHL on the Fly (NHL Network) without hearing something about Crosby, an update on how far ahead he is in points, an interview after a game, A mini-slump he's in like OMG he hasn't got a point in 2 games etc.
Go to Top of Page

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  22:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -oil-country-

quote:
In a couple of years Ovechkin will be another Kovalchuk.

You saying Kovalchuk's bad? 82 GP 42 G 34 A 76 PTS in only his 4th NHL season last time i checked that's not bad.

quote:
Anybody who tries to minimize the importance of Crosby to the NHL, whether on, or off-ice, is a deluded moron.

I guess im a deluded moron because i would enjoy the NHL more without him, I don't think i've ever watched an NHL on the Fly (NHL Network) without hearing something about Crosby, an update on how far ahead he is in points, an interview after a game, A mini-slump he's in like OMG he hasn't got a point in 2 games etc.

No bashing of Kovalchuk. Just that OV is quite comparable.

Your call on the 'deluded moron'. If you want to state that Crosby's overated and not important to the growth and exposure to the NHL in the US especially, then......

The last 36 yrs I've been watching hockey, the leads top scorer is always a notable topic. What's difficult to understand about this? I watch the NHL network alot and on quiet game nights they put in a lot of crappy filler. They spend plenty of time discussing the leafs. The leafs even have their own leaf network. Some of us might in fact resent this but it isn't usually worth posting about or mentioning. The lengths to which people cry about Crosby, his coverage, his going down on one knee, etc. etc. etc. really leads wonder where people's heads are at.....and the Geico cavemen think they have problems.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a big step for hockey in the u.s

Leafs 4 Playoffs!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  09:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being from the US, let me answer this one. Sure Crosby has helped put people in the seats, but it's not ALL him. He is certainly important, but he's not the whole deal. For one thing, Pittsburgh has always had a fairly large fanbase, and for another, remember Malkin? Did you see his first game? The line for tickets was waaaaaaayyy out the door and people were carrying signs and wearing his jersey and going crazy over seeing his first NHL appearance. Malkin has helped quite a bit too. And Novie posted a topic here saying that the Buffalo Sabres were voted the #1 sports franchise in North America by American fans. The Sabres are on fire this year, and are attracting lots of people to the game. There's even some local mini-mart grocery store up in New York that's raffling off tickets to games, jerseys, pucks, and other Sabres merchandise. Buffalo's whole team has encouraged people here in the States come to hockey games. Not to take away from Crosby, but you can't say he's the ONLY asset in promoting hockey down here.
Go to Top of Page

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  23:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Being from the US, let me answer this one. Sure Crosby has helped put people in the seats, but it's not ALL him. He is certainly important, but he's not the whole deal. For one thing, Pittsburgh has always had a fairly large fanbase, and for another, remember Malkin? Did you see his first game? The line for tickets was waaaaaaayyy out the door and people were carrying signs and wearing his jersey and going crazy over seeing his first NHL appearance. Malkin has helped quite a bit too. And Novie posted a topic here saying that the Buffalo Sabres were voted the #1 sports franchise in North America by American fans. The Sabres are on fire this year, and are attracting lots of people to the game. There's even some local mini-mart grocery store up in New York that's raffling off tickets to games, jerseys, pucks, and other Sabres merchandise. Buffalo's whole team has encouraged people here in the States come to hockey games. Not to take away from Crosby, but you can't say he's the ONLY asset in promoting hockey down here.

I agree fully with you. I think the bevy of great young talent coming in helps a lot as well. I certainly don't want to downplay that fact. I thought this story was quite amazing and I wanted to give Sid some due credit because there is a lot of disparaging posts about Crosby here.

Sid definitely is the main attraction already though, and this is good for the game. Hopefully he can live up to his billing in the future because the individual high profile guys are what all leagues want to have to promote their sports. I really don't care if Crosby gets any attention at all as long as he's helping the penguins. If it helps to promote the great game of hockey, then I'm all for the fuss surrounding the kid.

Even the fans that hate the kid should appreciate that marque names further the exposure of hockey. As a fan of hockey I'm pumped about the huge bevy of young awesome talent coming along. Long live the NHL!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7418
( )

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:30:32  Reply with Quote
This is exactly why he'll win the Hart.
Not because he's the real MVP to his team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6127
( )

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:57:58  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7418

This is exactly why he'll win the Hart.
Not because he's the real MVP to his team.

Then who is? The Pens went from 58 pts to 105 pts (I believe) on the back of a 19 yr old who won the Art Ross. Who? Luongo? Brodeur? Nope.
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  14:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You tellin me this kid ain't good? Currently the price for his game-worn all star jersey is $15,020 with over 100 bids after only an hour of bidding. The next highest is Luongo with 25 bids and $3,320.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  14:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

You tellin me this kid ain't good? Currently the price for his game-worn all star jersey is $15,020 with over 100 bids after only an hour of bidding. The next highest is Luongo with 25 bids and $3,320.

The price of a player's jersey isn't how one determines skill level...
Not trying to say Sid isn't good, but Luongo is more valuable to the Canucks than Sid is to the Pens. Last year Sid had no one to help him out there, this year he's got Staal, Malkin, Recchi, and Roberts. It's not all HIS effort anymore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page