Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 The Pittsburgh / Ottawa Series Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

STobin9
Top Prospect

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  07:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a matchup!
Sidney, Malkin and Fleury, VS Heatley, Spezza and Emery..It's gonna be sweet

Edited by - leigh on 04/09/2007 07:10:15

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it will live up to the hype for some reason. nevertheless, it should be fun to watch.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will cheer for Pittsburgh in this series...

There are: People that make things happen, people that watch things happen, and people that wonder what happened, who are you...
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sure will be but I think both goalies will break under the pressure. Watching Heatley vs. Crosby will be entertaing.
Go to Top of Page

STobin9
Top Prospect

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  12:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with saku, the goalies are both young and have almost no, if any, playoff experience. Both teams have a ridiculous amount of talent, and the goalies won't be able to keep up.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  13:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goalies: =
Top lines: =
PP's: Pittsburgh
PK's: Ottawa
PP+PK: =

I said this is another thread, but in my mind this series will be won by the whoever's 2nd line performs the best.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  18:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely the coolest first-round matchup.I think you can count on Gerber and Thibeault seeing some action. With the huge expectations for both teams, neither will leave a drop in the tank. Gonna be great, but I can't see the winner making it past Round 2. Pens over Sens in 7.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  19:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a lot of you ppl need to watch hockey a little closer or keep your opinions to yourself.....Ray Emery was the Sens best player in last years playoffs (sans game 1 of round 2) the sens offence simply froze up.... and Ray has been unreal this year.....He is an extremely cool customer and won't get all tied up in knots come the playoffs.....Please tell me what your basing your points on (in slamming Emery and saying he'll "freeze" or " Fleury is equal to Emery)..Cause I think a lot of you are just basing your points on the ignorance of the media who seem to think Game 1 round 2 was the ONLY game of Rays career...In the words of IHC "WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  20:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goalie stats this season:

Fleury: 67GP 40W 16L 9OTL 2.83GAA .906SV% .597Win%

Emery: 58GP 33W 16L 6OTL 2.47GAA .918SV% .568Win%

You're right, they actually aren't equal. As a matter of fact, Fleury put up better numbers (Wins/Win%) with a lower-scoring team. I don't care what they did last year. Cam Ward won the Cup and the Conn Smythe then, it's a new season now.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/08/2007 20:12:57
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  20:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Goalie stats this season:

Fleury: 67GP 40W 16L 9OTL 2.83GAA .906SV% .597Win%

Emery: 58GP 33W 16L 6OTL 2.47GAA .918SV% .568Win%

You're right, they actually aren't equal. As a matter of fact, Fleury put up better numbers (Wins/Win%) with a lower-scoring team. I don't care what they did last year. Cam Ward won the Cup and the Conn Smythe then, it's a new season now.

Unless Fleury happened to single-handedly win that extra percentile, I fail to see your point...all that tells me is Fleury played more games....Save % is clearly the stat most indicitive of a superior goalie, and if you disagree w/ that, you clearly don't understand goaltending...So I stand my argument.

I HATE CROSBY

Edited by - I HATE CROSBY on 04/08/2007 21:00:24
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  22:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever happens this is going tobe a great seris, I think it is going to be pretty tightly matched and it may very well come down to goaltending and which one can play better.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!
Viktor Kozlov Is NOT My Hero
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  22:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Unless Fleury happened to single-handedly win that extra percentile, I fail to see your point...all that tells me is Fleury played more games....Save % is clearly the stat most indicitive of a superior goalie, and if you disagree w/ that, you clearly don't understand goaltending...So I stand my argument.

I thought the point was pretty clear: Fleury wins more often behind a team that scores less than Ottawa = he did better than Emery this year. SV% is not the sole measure of a goalie's success, that's just something that's pounded in everyone's head by the media. When comparing goalies, it's all they ever talk about. Anyways, I went through all this a million times when talking about Kiprusoff. Saying I don't understand goaltending is a little too much though, I understand the position from experience as much if not more than anyone on this site. I'd like to counter your claim by saying that anyone who thinks that they can compare goalies strictly based on SV% does not understand the position.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/08/2007 22:55:01
Go to Top of Page

Guest6119
( )

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  22:55:26  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by STobin9

What a matchup!
Sidney, Malkin and Fleury, VS Heatley, Spezza and Emery..It's gonna be sweet

Don't forget about GARY ROBERTS!!!
Go to Top of Page

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  23:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think a lot of you ppl need to watch hockey a little closer or keep your opinions to yourself.....Ray Emery was the Sens best player in last years playoffs (sans game 1 of round 2) the sens offence simply froze up.... and Ray has been unreal this year.....He is an extremely cool customer and won't get all tied up in knots come the playoffs.....Please tell me what your basing your points on (in slamming Emery and saying he'll "freeze" or " Fleury is equal to Emery)..Cause I think a lot of you are just basing your points on the ignorance of the media who seem to think Game 1 round 2 was the ONLY game of Rays career...In the words of IHC "WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I HATE CROSBY

Agreed. The interesting dynamic of this series is Emery's past with Bing. playing against Wilkes Bar. in AHL past playoffs. The pens made a nice comeback in the last series vs. Emery (AHL), so these players have playoff history against each other. The point is that the young pens might be in Emery's head a little bit. Emery has been solid and if anything I would be more concerned with how MAF handles the pressure. He hasn't had much experience in the playoffs at even the AHL level. Fleury is definitely the key for the pens as is Emery.

Pen fans shouldn't be surprised if the pens faulter early in the playoffs. On the other hand they could go all the way, the league is much more wide open than ever if you can get in the playoffs. As Cole would say:' This series should be a dandy Harry!'
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  00:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guinman

quote:

Agreed. The interesting dynamic of this series is Emery's past with Bing. playing against Wilkes Bar. in AHL past playoffs. The pens made a nice comeback in the last series vs. Emery (AHL), so these players have playoff history against each other. The point is that the young pens might be in Emery's head a little bit.

YEs......cause I'm certain a lot of the pens played on that AHL team....Wake up

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  00:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

I thought the point was pretty clear: Fleury wins more often behind a team that scores less than Ottawa = he did better than Emery this year. SV% is not the sole measure of a goalie's success, that's just something that's pounded in everyone's head by the media. When comparing goalies, it's all they ever talk about. Anyways, I went through all this a million times when talking about Kiprusoff. Saying I don't understand goaltending is a little too much though, I understand the position from experience as much if not more than anyone on this site. I'd like to counter your claim by saying that anyone who thinks that they can compare goalies strictly based on SV% does not understand the position.

Everybody but me maybe......i could give you a long spiel about why save percentage is the most important stat(I never said the only important stat).......ever notice the corrolation between which goalies have the better save % where they stack up....remember Hasek in the late 90's? what about Marty? or Ward in the Playoffs..............babs, you talk a big game, but on goaltending, leave it to the real experts.

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  05:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Pittsburgh take it because of their very dynamic play but it will still be a dull series

Always next year!!
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  06:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking from experience as well, I can tell you that pretty much all goaltending stats are subjective. A goaltender's performance cannot be truly measured by one stat, especially save pctg. For example, a goaltender may face a lot of shots, but that could be because his defense plays the percentages and doesn't give up a lot of high quality scoring opportunities. Because of it, he sees a lot of perimeter shots and not a lot of high quality chances. Similarly, a team with a poor defense might give up a lot of high quality scoring opportunities. A good example is Ryan Miller, who has to make a lot of great saves because of the aggressiveness of his team's offense. His numbers aren't stellar, but I think the consensus is he's a top 5 goalie.
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  06:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its going to be pretty rough
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  08:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everybody but me maybe......i could give you a long spiel about why save percentage is the most important stat(I never said the only important stat).......ever notice the corrolation between which goalies have the better save % where they stack up....remember Hasek in the late 90's? what about Marty? or Ward in the Playoffs..............babs, you talk a big game, but on goaltending, leave it to the real experts.

Read manninm's post. He's got it.

Who are the real experts? I don't think we have any. I don't claim to be an expert (although I am comfortable enough with my knowledge) and neither should you because you aren't. I think the fact that no one on this site is an expert keeps the discussions worth continuing.

Anyways, back to series.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  09:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the side topic: IHC is right, Emery and Fleury aren't on the same level. Emery did well under pressure last year, and there is no reason to expect less this year. Fleury is completely unproven, and put up slightly about average numbers. Save percentage is by far the most important stat, though as previously mentioned all goaltender stats need to be taken with a grain of salt.

On the actual topic: This will be a great seris and almost assuredly will go 6 or 7 games. The key for the Pens is really going to be Roberts keeping the young guy's heads on straight if they blow a game, or even a lead. Like Babs said, secondary scoring will be the deciding factor. However i think you have to give the Sens the edge in goal. The Pens PP is dominating, and it will be critical for the Sens to play responsible, positional defence, so they don't get forced into bad penalties.

It will be a great, entertaining series for sure, maybe the best of the first round.
Go to Top of Page

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  10:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

Speaking from experience as well, I can tell you that pretty much all goaltending stats are subjective. A goaltender's performance cannot be truly measured by one stat, especially save pctg. For example, a goaltender may face a lot of shots, but that could be because his defense plays the percentages and doesn't give up a lot of high quality scoring opportunities. Because of it, he sees a lot of perimeter shots and not a lot of high quality chances. Similarly, a team with a poor defense might give up a lot of high quality scoring opportunities. A good example is Ryan Miller, who has to make a lot of great saves because of the aggressiveness of his team's offense. His numbers aren't stellar, but I think the consensus is he's a top 5 goalie.

My kid's a high level goalie so I've learned quite a bit from him and his schooling. This post is correct. IHC your totally off-base with Save %. It is certainly a significant stat but not the be all end all. The quality of the shots is a huge determinate which is only statistically quantified to any small extent by the goalie's winning %. Bottom line for any goalie, is wins. No bad statistic ever costed a goalie his job if he wins the majority of his games and the most important ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  10:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My kid's a high level goalie so I've learned quite a bit from him and his schooling. This post is correct. IHC your totally off-base with Save %. It is certainly a significant stat but not the be all end all. The quality of the shots is a huge determinate which is only statistically quantified to any small extent by the goalie's winning %. Bottom line for any goalie, is wins. No bad statistic ever costed a goalie his job if he wins the majority of his games and the most important ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So that means Luongo is terrible when he played for Florida?

Go LEAFS
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  16:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I selected Ottawa in the pool, so I will now change sides and cheer for Ottawa, although neither will get by round 2...

There are: People that make things happen, people that watch things happen, and people that wonder what happened, who are you...
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  17:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good series
Ottawa's slightly better offense and slightly better defense, gives them the series in 6.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  18:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well guinman, it just so happens I too was a high level goalie...I go by my own expierience on this.....so I stand by what I said, I strongly believe save % is the stat that is most important in determining the quality of the goaltender himself (but I do agree with the fact that a goalie could face a lot of perimeter shots (but let's call a spade a spade, that's not very likely, and perhaps Miller is the only couterexample in the league to my point)).....And winning is a team thing fool....slowshot's point is spot on.

on the topic of Ott vs. pitts......Roberts is the only thing that worries me here, he could be the one peice of the puzzle missing for the Pens to beat Ott....Ottawa doesn't really have that Roberts type guy, but they do have the defense so I think the Sens can pull it off (especially since Fleury will probably shoot pucks off his teammates into the net a-la 2004 world jrs. hahahahaha)

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  19:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well guinman, it just so happens I too was a high level goalie...I go by my own expierience on this.....so I stand by what I said, I strongly believe save % is the stat that is most important in determining the quality of the goaltender himself (but I do agree with the fact that a goalie could face a lot of perimeter shots (but let's call a spade a spade, that's not very likely, and perhaps Miller is the only couterexample in the league to my point)).....And winning is a team thing fool....slowshot's point is spot on.

on the topic of Ott vs. pitts......Roberts is the only thing that worries me here, he could be the one peice of the puzzle missing for the Pens to beat Ott....Ottawa doesn't really have that Roberts type guy, but they do have the defense so I think the Sens can pull it off (especially since Fleury will probably shoot pucks off his teammates into the net a-la 2004 world jrs. hahahahaha)

I HATE CROSBY

Most important, no. Most accurate out of all goaltender stats, maybe, but not very accurate in reality.

On the topic, I'll say this. On paper Ottawa's always been a team that should win. They've done so in the regular season every year and have always been hyped up going into the playoffs, this year being no different. The problem is that every year it's the intangibles that come back to bite Ottawa big time. I can't pinpoint the exact reasoning, but until proven otherwise, I will anticipate the Ottawa Senators choking in the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  20:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well game one is in the history books now.

Let's see if Roberts and Recchi are able to keep the ship on an even keel

I suspect the Pens will be back with a vengeance in game two.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  21:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I think that the Pens will have to put up a big sail to get the keel to move...

Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  05:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

I think Pittsburgh take it because of their very dynamic play but it will still be a dull series

Always next year!!

Leave it to a Leafs fan to completely close thier eyes to EVERYTHING but TO. But I guess you're allowed to disagree with 106% of the general public and expert opinion when you say this won't be the most exciting series.

Have fun golfing, Leafs losers

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche

Edited by - Novie on 04/12/2007 05:21:20
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  08:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Ottawa keeps the intensity they had from the first game, I really don't think that Pitt has much of a shot. Crosby and Malkin were none existant in that game. If Crosby is half the player most people think he is, then he will bounce back in game two.

I think this series will be won or lost in game 2. If Ottawa lays another beating, Pitt won't come back. If Pitt wins in Ottawa after that beating, they will swing momentum going into their home arena.

I had Ottawa all the way in this one. I still think they will win in 5, maybe 6.
Go to Top of Page

kanadian7
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  10:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

quote:

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So that means Luongo is terrible when he played for Florida?

Go LEAFS

Luongo wasn't terrible by any means, but you have to consider that Florida had a franchise player in Roberto Luongo and decided to trade him away to start over because he wasn't getting them to the postseason.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page