Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Belfour, Peltonen Arrested Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  14:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miami Beach, FL (AHN) - Following the end of the NHL season, Florida Panthers veteran goalie Ed Belfour let off some steam in the wrong manner early Monday morning after his team failed to make the playoffs.

Belfour was arrested at a bar in South Beach early Monday morning after he allegedly got into a fight with a police officer.

Security asked Belfour to leave the bar and then called police to help them make Belfour and teammate Ville Peltonen leave the establishment.

Belfour refused to leave, even when police demanded it, and then pushed a police officer when they tried to force him out. He got into a fighting stance and pushed the officer before falling forward and kicking while refusing to put his hands behind his back, according to the police report.

Belfour, 41, slurred his speech, had bloodshot eyes and smelled of alcohol, according to the police report which was obtained by AP.

Peltonen was also arrested and charged with criminal mischief when he broke off a pole from a fire rescue truck parked in the parking lot of the bar.

Belfour was being held at Miami-Dade county jail on $1,500 bond while Peltonen was held at $500 bond.

This is the second resisting arrest Belfour has faced. Back in 2000, he was arrested for resisting a arrest when he got into a skirmish with security officers at a swank hotel.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is definatly a shocker to me. Eddie is a standup guy, this seems most unlike him.

Thoughts??
Comments??

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems unlike him? This is classic Belfour. Seeing this on the news didn't surprise me at all. He's such a wiener.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belfour offered the last cop a billion dollars to let him off....

He is an arrogant prick, always has been.
Go to Top of Page

kanadian7
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, completely Ed Belfour. I most enjoyed when he took down Alex Auld earlier this season in a Florida bar which caused Auldy to need somewhere around 10 stitchs in his head to patch himself up. This particular incident happened because Belfour was unhappy that Auld had the starting job earlier this season.

It would seem that when Eddy the Eagle mixes with Alcohol, he winds up in a fight of some sort. Only some of the time does he wind up in the local slammer!
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belfour is my all-time favorite player...He's Hilarious, he's just your standard human being who happens to be very good at hockey...I like him, he says what he wants, does what he wants, kind of like the TYPICAL person...It's refreshing to have guys like Eddy, instead of the cliche'-laden likes of Sid.

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  16:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belfour used to play for Toronto...yet another reason why Leafs suck
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  19:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigShow

Belfour offered the last cop a billion dollars to let him off....

He is an arrogant prick, always has been.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  19:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Belfour is my all-time favorite player...He's Hilarious, he's just your standard human being who happens to be very good at hockey...I like him, he says what he wants, does what he wants, kind of like the TYPICAL person...It's refreshing to have guys like Eddy, instead of the cliche'-laden likes of Sid.

I HATE CROSBY

Its good to see a player like that? Its horrible for the game to have players like this, who obviously think there above the law or something.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!
Viktor Kozlov Is NOT My Hero
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  19:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockey players have to represent and doing something stupid like that doesn't deserve any respect.
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  19:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya I've gotta agree. It just gives the American media another reason to scrutinize the game we love. Belfour's never been good for the game, and hopefully with this he'll retire and we won't ever hear from him again
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  03:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this was blowen out of porportion, both of these guys have so class.

Viktor Kozlov is also my hero!!!
Go to Top of Page

juice32
Rookie

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  06:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon guys......This sort of thing happens every day and we hear nothing of it. Its just because Belfour is a popular guy!!!. Big deal, he had a few drinks and got in a fight......Its happen to me many times!!!

Its just a case of an everyday guy doing everyday things
Go to Top of Page

cujofan31
Top Prospect

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  06:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Belfour used to play for Toronto...yet another reason why Leafs suck

What the hell does that have to do with the topic at hand? There's always someone who has to get a "Leafs sucks" in every forum even if it has nothing to do with the topic.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  06:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting in a fight is one thing, getting smashed to the point that you take a swing at a cop is on a whole different level.

The guy is arrogant to the extreme, and deserves more than a slap on the wrist for this. At the least he should be put through rehab and banned from drinking in public places. It is obvious he has no self control, or respect for anyone, besides himself.
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  08:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockey prides itself as having the most classy players off the ice. Football players and basketball players usually have criminal records longer than their playing records. I think its a shame to the sport.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  12:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hithere311

Hockey prides itself as having the most classy players off the ice. Football players and basketball players usually have criminal records longer than their playing records. I think its a shame to the sport.

What the Hell are you talking about?...The only sport where the majority of it's athletes have class is golf buddy.......Hockey is a rough and tough, hit em up sport.......The typical hockey player is a beer drinking, tobacoo chewing dude from a farm......well maybe not the farm part, but my first year in Jr. all but 2 guys chewed, and that isn't too "classy"........

Secondly, I don't get why you guys call eddy arrogant.....have you ever heard him in an interview? He's a humble guy........Just b/c he refused to leave the bar, doesn't mean he refused to leave on account of the fact he's in the NHL...I refuse to leave places all the time, out of priciple, not out of arrogance.......Juice32 is totally right on this one....Eddy was one of my hockey heros growing up, and I'll defend him to the death..
Anyone who says "Belfour isn't good for the game" is a complete moron. His style of goaltending is a wonderful model for young goaltenders all over, so I tend to think eddy is REALLY good for the game. Back when I played hockey, I used to tape stars games to try and learn to position myself like eddy......And back when he played for Chicago (pre-back injuries) he popularied the use of the "paddle down" technique...So Wake up...Throughout his career, He has been nothing but good for the game and developing goalies

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  12:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

quote:

What the Hell are you talking about?...The only sport where the majority of it's athletes have class is golf buddy.......Hockey is a rough and tough, hit em up sport.......The typical hockey player is a beer drinking, tobacoo chewing dude from a farm......well maybe not the farm part, but my first year in Jr. all but 2 guys chewed, and that isn't too "classy"........

Secondly, I don't get why you guys call eddy arrogant.....have you ever heard him in an interview? He's a humble guy........Just b/c he refused to leave the bar, doesn't mean he refused to leave on account of the fact he's in the NHL...I refuse to leave places all the time, out of priciple, not out of arrogance.......Juice32 is totally right on this one....Eddy was one of my hockey heros growing up, and I'll defend him to the death..
Anyone who says "Belfour isn't good for the game" is a complete moron. His style of goaltending is a wonderful model for young goaltenders all over, so I tend to think eddy is REALLY good for the game. Back when I played hockey, I used to tape stars games to try and learn to position myself like eddy......And back when he played for Chicago (pre-back injuries) he popularied the use of the "paddle down" technique...So Wake up...Throughout his career, He has been nothing but good for the game and developing goalies

I HATE CROSBY

His goaltending style was and still is very good for the game. His actions off the ice, whether its right or wrong, are bad for the game and give the game a black eye (at least in the States it does). What outweighs what in this situation is still up in the air. But I haven't seen a single article in the states yet praising Eddy's goaltending style. I guarantee you I can find a few illustrating his criminal record.
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  14:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:Originally posted by hithere311

I HATE CROSBY

I meant the NHL. Of course the biggest douchebags play hockey on a lower level. Me and my teammates did more drugs than Steve Tyler last year. And I didn't say hockey was classy. I said the players were off the ice. And who doesn't drink beer? In hockey, the players actually shake hands after the playoff series. If they did that in basketball, someone would get knifed.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  14:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

. If they did that in basketball, someone would get knifed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...so true man...so true

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  14:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He has always had a bit of an attitude

Always next year!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  16:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cujofan31

What the hell does that have to do with the topic at hand? There's always someone who has to get a "Leafs sucks" in every forum even if it has nothing to do with the topic.

How is that off topic? This thread's about Belfour, no? My post was about Belfour and how his recent stupidity adds to the Leafs' history of dislike by fans and bad decisions. That's my opinion and I'm not saying it's THE right opinion, but it's not off topic.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  16:18:26  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by cujofan31

How is that off topic? This thread's about Belfour, no? My post was about Belfour and how his recent stupidity adds to the Leafs' history of dislike by fans and bad decisions. That's my opinion and I'm not saying it's THE right opinion, but it's not off topic.

well aside from it bringing no value to the conversation its relevancy is a bit of a stretch. hey, you asked
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  16:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The states have no class so why would it be bad image for hockey in the states?

Go Stars
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  16:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I refuse to leave places all the time, out of priciple, not out of arrogance.......
I HATE CROSBY
I refuse to leave places all the time? WOW! People must love having to ask you to leave (all the time, that is.)

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 04/13/2007 16:39:49
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  16:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

The states have no class so why would it be bad image for hockey in the states?

WE have no class? At least we don't boo your national anthem during the World Juniors...*cough* Canucks fans, 1995. And Belfour's Canadian anyway, so that's your country's image problem, not ours.

Sorry about that one Admin, that was definitely off topic, but you know I don't like it when people post overblown stuff like that...
(Speaking of relevancy, since when was "The Impossible Game" relevant to hockey?)

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/13/2007 17:09:10
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  17:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canucks Fans aren't Canadian.

Go Stars
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  17:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on, you get my point.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
338 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  19:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not suprised i knew he would get arrested one day i never liked him
but how long is his jail sentence because he might not be able to play for florida next year ( if he doesnt retire )

Sens Suck
Habs Suck
Leafs Rule

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page