Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Jets back to Winnipeg? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  16:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=206912&hubname=

Very interesting.

I didn't know the name Tories was still in use. That was the name for the opposing party to the Whigs in the colonial days. Just learned about that today in European history, lol

So about the hockey part--if they can pull that off it would be awesome! The Winnipeg fans would love it.

Guest4024
( )

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  16:40:28  Reply with Quote
LOL that is a reallly good bribe to get the people to vote. Especially in Winn, the whole city withh vote for the conservatives.
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  16:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see that happen, but I doubt it will. That is a pretty big promise and if they get elected and it doesn't happen, there will be hell to pay.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  17:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is pretty cool but like KaryiaSelanne said, I doubt it will happen....

~~~Don't focus on where your going, focus on where you going to go~~~
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  17:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I kinda doubt it will happen too, but if it did they'd have to ditch another team to make the conferences even. I guess it'd be Phoenix, since the Jets became the Coyotes when they moved. I just don't see why they put a team in the middle of the desert and took it away from one of the most dedicated fan bases on the continent.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  20:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering (I'm no finance-guy, so maybe one of you can help)...Do you think that the Phoenix Coyotes could actually be a more profitable organization than the winnipeg jets were....I mean, I don't really follow the business part...(Although I am aware of the dollar difference, but that's it hahaha)

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  05:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

I was just wondering (I'm no finance-guy, so maybe one of you can help)...Do you think that the Phoenix Coyotes could actually be a more profitable organization than the winnipeg jets were....I mean, I don't really follow the business part...(Although I am aware of the dollar difference, but that's it hahaha)

We always hear the NHL talking about TV being where the money is...maybe that's where it becomes more profitable. But I've gotta assume with players salaries down that a team could survive in Winnipeg. Now the question is, who moves there?? Phoenix? Florida? Does the NHL expand?

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  05:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of yopu seen the new logo they want for the Jets if they come back??
It is a horrible logo.....

[img]http://www.winnipegjetsonline.com/images/content/new_jets_jersey-new-lg.jpg[/img]

~~~Let's Go Ducks!!!~~~
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

I think Pheonix actually may be very profitable. There's a lot of money and growth in the Pheonix/Scottsdale area.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9930
( )

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:50:18  Reply with Quote
Manninm is right about the TV market, but recently the southern U.S. has been an economic boom down there with lots of development and growth over the last couple of years (especially places like Phoenix) hence is the other reason the NHL is putting teams in places like Phoenix, Dallas, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Atlanta, Nashville etc. There's alot of money down there and everybody wants a piece. How else can you explain why there's an NHL hockey team in Raleigh, NC, but not in Winnipeg.

If the Tories can keep their promise and work with big businesses in Winnipeg to financially support a team in Winnipeg, then one day the Jets will fly again, (here's hoping!)but when you're looking to expand your business and your choices are Winnipeg who have the fan base, but no financial support or an oil tycoon in Houston with a few million burning a hole in his pocket, where are you going to expand too. I hate to say it, but it's all about the Benjamins (or Borden's if you're talking in CDN dollars! :) )
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Torries" are actually the "Progressive Conservatives" and the only reason they're sayin' anything is because the NDP (New Democratic Party) has put in word that if elected they will put money towards a new Football Stadium for our Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The only way Winnipeg is gonna see another NHL team is in exhibition action or if a bunch of teams relocate. Nashville, Florida, Carolina, St.Louis and or Pheonix are all possible in the future for relocations, but there is Seattle, Houston, Kansas City, Hamilton, Las Vegas, and undoubtedly a mulitiude of other places these teams can go. The influential people of Winnipeg are all friggin' talk and no friggin' action. I mean, there are some pretty rich dudes here but they just sit on the damn hands and keep showin' the carrot without actually letting any one taste it.
I've lived in Winnipeg most of my life (thankfully I was not born here) and I can tell you that as a non-Jets fan (Go Flames Go!!!) the fans here are bloody ignorant. Some how, unless you cheer for Les Canadiens or the Maple Laughs, you are not allowed to cheer for teams other than the Jets. I mean I've been to a few Moose games (AHL...mostly when the Baby Flames...Omaha Ak-sar-ben Knights come) and the people are even dumb enough to complain when I cheer against the bloody Moose. This city really does not deserve and NHL team and is even too stupid to enlist in an NLL team (National Lacrosse League) I mean, if this city gets 6000 people to a round 2 playoff game for the Moose and is too stupiod to get an NLL team...there's no way the Jets (part II) will ever work for more than 10 years.
The only reason i wanna see an NHL team here is so I can show these sad people what a real fan is like

Can't go...The Roads Are Dirty
Go to Top of Page

Guest2628
( )

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  07:59:54  Reply with Quote
wyntyre, I am glad you were not born in Winnipeg. I would hate to have to call you a true Pegger.
You go to a Moose game and then wonder why people don't like you cheering for the other team? You were so easy to throw around words like, "ignorant and stupid", maybe you should look in the mirror.

Since there are no Jets, people cheer for many teams. Toronto and Montreal, with thier rich history, are amoung the favorites, but Calgary is right up there. I personly pull for Calgary. (I have a lot of family out there)

I dont see the Jets comming back. I just don't think there is enough money in Winnipeg to sell out every game, which is pretty much what we would have to do, to not only stay competitive, but to just pay the bills. The NHL players are making more every year, even after the lockout and without revinue sharing, there is just no way we could keep up.

Its sad, because I really miss the Jets, but it just isn't gonna happen.
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  09:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, there's a reason they moved OUT of Winnipeg. Its not like they're bringing a team to a new market. Its been tried and obviously, an NHL team cannot survive in such a small market.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man I would love to see the NHL come to Winnipeg but I doubt it will happen. And seminrules , you're right those are ugly jerseys they should just get a new name like the Winnipeg PoohsLOL
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hithere311

You know, there's a reason they moved OUT of Winnipeg. Its not like they're bringing a team to a new market. Its been tried and obviously, an NHL team cannot survive in such a small market.

That was several years ago. Population increases...

P.S. Lol PainTrain, maybe they should be the Winnipeg F-16s or the 747s something, haha
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  19:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Name a city who had an NHL team, lost the team, and got one back?

How many years between?

Ex. Pittsburgh Pirates 1929-30.
Pittsburgh Penguins 1967-68.
37 years.

Winnipeg Jets 1995-96...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...

Edited by - PuckNuts on 05/08/2007 19:36:35
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  20:04:40  Reply with Quote
Minnesota
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  20:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

Minnesota

Yeah 4803 Minnesota northstars and then the Wild now
Go to Top of Page

Adamgonucks
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  20:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that this is most likely a political ply, and if a team is going to return to Winnepeg it'll take more than just the "torries" to bring them back. I understand the fact that the wealthy and the torries may be you-know..on the same side, but it takes more than just a few rich conservatives and their connections to bring an NHL franchise OUT of the states and into Canada. I hope they come back eventually, and I also hope that South Western Ontario gets one as well but it's a far-fetched as of now.

P.S. WYNTYRE, that was a disgusting comment full of generalities. You can't judge a city by a little-league game that got under your skin.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  06:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colorado Rockies 1981-82
Colorado Avalanche 1995-96 13 years

Minnesota North Stars 1992-93
Minnesota Wild 2001-02 8 years...

Go to Top of Page

Guest2628
( )

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  06:45:48  Reply with Quote
Atlanta too. I don't know when they left, the first time, but I think they went to Calgary.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  06:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Atlanta Flames 1979-80
Atlanta Thrashers 99-00 19 years

Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  07:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ottawa Senators 1931-1992

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  07:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pittsburgh Pop: 1930 - 670,000
1967 - 550,000
current metro - 2,300,000

Denver Pop: 1982 - 490,000
1995 - 500,000
current metro - 2,500,000

Twin Cities Pop: 1993 - 600,000
2001 - 650,000
current metro - 3,100,00

Atlanta Pop: 1980 metro - 3,000,000
1999 metro - 4,100,000
current metro - 5,100,000

Winnipeg Pop: 1996 metro - 679,000
current metro - 707,000

By those numbers Winnipeg really has grown very little since the team left. Pittsburgh city population went down, but the metro area went way up. I think if Winnipeg got the Jets back in the form of the Coyotes, then they would have to really improve the team to get the revenue. And it would be incredibly hard to convince players to live and play there (no offence to all Winnipegers).
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  03:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

Have any of yopu seen the new logo they want for the Jets if they come back??
It is a horrible logo.....
~~~Let's Go Ducks!!!~~~

Man thats bad! They should keep the old ones!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  12:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The white one reminds me of the Japanese Zeros, especially with the red circle behind it. They outta change that one...

Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  15:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, those jerseys are alright but the logo has way too much detail.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  16:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually don't think those new ones are that bad...certainly better than the old ones that just said "Jets".
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  17:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, don't diss the jets jerseys, but ya the new ones are pretty sweet
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: