Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Stupid Netting! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  18:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it's supposed to be safer but it's driving me crazy! They should get rid of that netting above the glass in the ends. At least make it white or something! It seems that everytime I go watch a canucklehead game I always have to look through the top of the glass and the bottom of that netting. Makes it tough to see the other end of the ice though. Yah yah, buck up for better seats right?

klbryant
Top Prospect

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  22:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you rather look through netting, or have another little girl get killed by a deflected puck?
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  12:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true my friend. A horrible tragedy indeed. I certainly feel for her family and friends.

OK, rather than removing it, as I said in my original post, change the netting to white. Studies have proven that you can see better through white netting. Simple, cost effective and above all...safe.
Go to Top of Page

coastie
Top Prospect

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  17:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I played bantams all we had was black netting around the rink, no glass at all. This sucked for family and friends coming to watch, and you could forget taking any pictures.

The way I see it, the game is for the fans to watch and the teams should do whatever they can to facilitate the best viewing of the game. I seem to recall in Ottawa they had signs all over the place that said to always keep an eye out for pucks and that the rink wouldn't be responsible for any injuries resulting from inadvertant contact with the puck.

This worked fine until legalists saw an chink in an organizatiosn armor. Sorry folks, the world can't pad all the corners in our lives. If you are afraid your little girl is going to be struck by a puck and die, don't sit at either of the ends of the ice or sit up higher.

Arenas aren't like football stadiums, you can see well wherever you sit.... that is, unless you're behind the netting.

Zach

(PS this reminds me of the whole thing with the annoying glowing puck a few years ago. Some people probably got together and made a complaint that they didn't watch hockey because they couldn't see the puck... I guess that's what happens when sports get too big.)
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  09:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like the netting but i think that it is needed now, especially with the speed of players shots nowadays. I think changing the netting to white like Admin suggested is good, but I think it has to be a mainstay in the new NHL.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  09:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The amount of pucks that hit the netting is quite a bit. I would like to see how many go into the netting every game. But it is so hard to see through it. So what Admin said is right, change it to white. Because the game is for the fans.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  10:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They definally need to keep the netting but should change it to white.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  20:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coastie...you played a game with nets around the whole rink eh...sounds pretty safe but wow "wheres the game at through the netting" i agree wtih changing it to white definitely

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  12:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see what the difference is... whether the net is white, black, green, purple or periwinkle, the thin surface of the cord that makes the net impairs a fan's view of the ice and what's on it. Fans who say they can see the ice better through a white net than a black net are just subjected to an illusion. Because the ice is white, they think that the white of the netting is part of the white on the ice, when in reality, the white also blocks off jerseys, helmets, sticks, the puck, etc. The contrast of the colours of the net and the ice might through some people off, but don't be fooled into thinking you could see more of the ice with a white net. Just think about it...
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  16:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

I don't see what the difference is... whether the net is white, black, green, purple or periwinkle, the thin surface of the cord that makes the net impairs a fan's view of the ice and what's on it. Fans who say they can see the ice better through a white net than a black net are just subjected to an illusion. Because the ice is white, they think that the white of the netting is part of the white on the ice, when in reality, the white also blocks off jerseys, helmets, sticks, the puck, etc. The contrast of the colours of the net and the ice might through some people off, but don't be fooled into thinking you could see more of the ice with a white net. Just think about it...

I agree, but you can notice the black netting more, which tends to make you think you can see through white better, so it still bugs you the whole game to see the black netting. Its just like why they changed to silver cages in hockey helmets opposed to black, it makes you think your seeing better, so it will not make you think that it is impairing your vision.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  17:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Well we're talking about our eyes, so if it's an illusion as you are saying then that is a good thing.

White netting is better because you're not constantly trying to refocus. There must be some other relatively strong material out there other than nylon rope (I have no idea what it is actually made of) that can be used that would work better. Maybe something that is thinner and just as strong????
Go to Top of Page

Guest4009
( )

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  18:52:33  Reply with Quote
You should be happy. You could be living in Saskatchewan like me, and have to drive ten hours to see a live game, which I do once every couple of years. I'd sit behind a post if I could just go to a game more often.
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  19:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4009

You should be happy. You could be living in Saskatchewan like me, and have to drive ten hours to see a live game, which I do once every couple of years. I'd sit behind a post if I could just go to a game more often.

Haha at least you get to see a game.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page