Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2007 Potential Unrestricted Free Agents Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  14:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=4965 <--------Full story

I am what I am- Sid The Kid

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  14:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, there could be some wild deals happening with all that talent available.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  09:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buffalo is one team that could really be in trouble. Arguably their two best players may go elsewhere. Hope the Pens get somebody to play with Crosby.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  09:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Buffalo GM has said he wants to keep them both. For that to happen, I think they would both have to sign for less than what they could get on the open market. Not very likely.

Hopefully the Oilers can get someone that can play period!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  09:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The Buffalo GM has said he wants to keep them both. For that to happen, I think they would both have to sign for less than what they could get on the open market. Not very likely.

Hopefully the Oilers can get someone that can play period!

I'd have to agree - not very likely. You never know, though. Both are character guys who might look at the potential of winning a(nother?) Stanley Cup.

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  09:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Briere's last contract not awarded by an arbitrator, and Buffalo decided to match, and sign him ?

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  09:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting point regarding this year's UFA crop. I was going to start a thread about this, but this one will do....

If you are a UFA this year, does Sidney Crosby make you more open to signing with the Pens? Love him or hate him, he's going to raise the profile of your career - partly because your stats will increase, but also because of the attention paid to the team of "The Next One".

I think if I'm a UFA, I'd take a little less money this year, knowing the payoff might be down the road.

Think about it - Colby Armstrong is currently playing for Team Canada in the World Championships. Before he played on a line with Crosby, he was unknown - a marginal NHLer at best, and more likely a career minor leaguer. No offence to Colby, whom I like, but it's true.

After a part of a season on Crosby's line, and another off and on his line, he has a much higher profile. I'd argue it's because of the attention paid to the team due to Crosby.

Gary Roberts looked like a prime candidate for retirement when he was wasting away in Florida. Put him on a line with Crosby, and now every other team was upset they didn't get him at the trade deadline. Suddenly he's the wiley old wise veteran again.

What do you think???

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  10:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that playing with Crosby would be a draw, but I think a bigger draw is the complete make up of the team. If a guy signs with say, Washington, he is more than likely going for money. It's not likely that Washington will have a Cup contending team for the next 3-5 years.

However, as appealing as Crosby would be, I think teams like Nashville, San Jose, and Ottawa have as much appeal. They are all young and have great talent already.

And I think you are a bit skued on Roberts. Many teams wanted him at the deadline, including Ottawa and Toronto who were pushing very hard. He had the no trade clause and he had said he wanted to play for a Canadian Cup contender. I think the fact he said that told many US GMs to not bother.

He was highly regarded well before playing with Crosby.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  13:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]
And I think you are a bit skued on Roberts. Many teams wanted him at the deadline, including Ottawa and Toronto who were pushing very hard. He had the no trade clause and he had said he wanted to play for a Canadian Cup contender. I think the fact he said that told many US GMs to not bother.

He was highly regarded well before playing with Crosby.

I agree there were a couple of teams that wanted him, but I don't think you'd argue that his stock went up after playing with Sid. I watch all the Pens games on FSN, and even Bob Errey pointed out how many guys around the league had been asking about him, and noting how well he was playing after the trade.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  17:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was playing better with Pittsburgh because they are a better team with more talent than Florida.

The Earth revolves around the sun, not around Crosby. It is getting so redonkulous that so many people think that Crosby has a direct positive impact on everything in Pittsburgh.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  22:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

He was playing better with Pittsburgh because they are a better team with more talent than Florida.

The Earth revolves around the sun, not around Crosby. It is getting so redonkulous that so many people think that Crosby has a direct positive impact on everything in Pittsburgh.

I was out tanning under the "Crosby light" as I now call it, and I was thinking the same thing, actually.

Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  23:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all you Leafs fans out there....We should all hang out in front of Leafs front office and force them to sign Jiggy.....As soon as I heard he was a free agent, I immediately thought how perfect it would be if the Leafs got him...If they had him instead of Raycroft, they'd be P-Off bound for sure.....

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

For all you Leafs fans out there....We should all hang out in front of Leafs front office and force them to sign Jiggy.....As soon as I heard he was a free agent, I immediately thought how perfect it would be if the Leafs got him...If they had him instead of Raycroft, they'd be P-Off bound for sure.....

jiggy is spoken for guranteed he is going to be wearing red and white next year,, thats right he'll be playing for the very team hes trying to knock out of the playoffs tonight ,,, the leafs have bigger problems to address than goaltending raycroft would be a great goalie on any team that is smart enough to know mccabe is a third line defenceman

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jiggys playing for detroit?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stastnysforever

Jiggys playing for detroit?

i think so very much his old coach whom he speaks very highly of is now working in detroit,, and det is in need of an expirenced solid goaltender,, and jiggy is the best one on the market

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  21:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasty are you for real...not gonna lie...i'd welcome gigs here without a doubt...

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  22:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by GOWINGS19

Pasty are you for real...not gonna lie...i'd welcome gigs here without a doubt...

well its just a feeling i have wings, but think about it if you're the wings gm you can either re sign 42 year old hasek (if he doesn;t retire) or you can go after the best goalie available without giving someone up, this goalie also has connections to your current coach,, now put yourself in gig;s shoes ,, if you leave a western conference finalist why settle for anything less in your new team?? im almost certain you'll have gig's next year

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  22:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like i said...i'll take him

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page