Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Regular season coasting? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  17:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 11 games Alfredsson has 7 goals. Extrapolate that to 82 games and he gets 50 goals instead of the 29 he actually got.
Gionta was on pace for 60 goals.
Heatley is basically putting up his regular season numbers.
Imagine if every player tried as hard in the regular season as they do in the playoffs.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  22:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, but there's a little more to it.

The best players get more ice time during the playoffs, and they definitely see more power play time.

But yeah, the intensity of some players during the regular season amps up about 100% when the playoffs begin.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  11:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never thought about that Willus and that is a good point fly.

I think during the regular season, you wouldn't be as trying as hard as you can to score goals everytime you touch the puck. In the playoffs, if you see a shot, you take it. In the regular season, there would be a lot more passing and getting it to the young players to help them get better. In the post-season, you are willing to take a bodycheck to get the puck and in the regular season, you would probobly wait untill the puck gets passed to you instead of risking bieng checked.

~~~Let's Go Ducks!!!~~~
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  12:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alfredsson had a poor start to the season, in his first 41 games he had 33 points, and accumulated 54 points in his last 41 games. He was playing quite well when he enterd the playoffs, and he has continued to do so...
Crosby had 56 points in his last 41 games...

Many players elevate their games during the playoffs, just some more than others, does it mean more in the playoffs, I think so. It must be difficult to play an 82 game schedule and perform at a top level every game...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  17:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

It must be difficult to play an 82 game schedule and perform at a top level every game...

I have heard this said before. The NHL schedule is so hard. There are many, many people who work very hard physically everyday for 8,10 or 12 hours a day, every day of the year with 2 weeks holidays. Concrete workers come to mind.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  18:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You also have to keep in mind that its easy motivation to be in the playoffs. When you have that kind of motivation obviously you will play better oposed to a game in the middle of the season, lets say, against Columbus.

There is also alot more expectations during the playoffs, so players perform at their highest level. The regular season is long, so expecting that is unrealistic.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  21:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i agree...itd be impossible to play this hard all season long...but at the same time...these guys are so close to the cup they can taste it...thatd make anybody try that hard

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page