Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Overpaid in 2007-08 - A GM's Nightmare Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  20:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I got this site from PuckNuts on another thread, and loved it! I thought I'd make a new poll question from it.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/tbl.html

It lists all of the player's contracts and salaries. Great site.

Anyway, here's the question:

Based on these 2007-08 contracts, which player is the most overpaid, and likely to make his GM wish he had a time machine?

Remember, these salaries are LOCKED IN for next season!

Choices:

Sergei Fedorov - Columbus - $6.08 million
Ed Jovanovski - Phoenix - $7.0 million
Jose Theodore - Colorado - $6.0 million
Alexi Yashin - NYI - $7.6 million
Rob Blake - LA Kings - $6.0 million
Brad Richards - Tampa Bay - $7.8 million
Bryan McCabe - Toronto - $7.15 million
Alexi Kovalev - Montreal - $4.5 million

Edited by - fly4apuckguy on 05/11/2007 21:04:19

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  20:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally went with Yashin. That's the mother of all bad deals. McCabe isn't far behind in my books, especially when you consider he will make more than Scott Niedermeyer or Chris Pronger.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  21:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McCabe and Yashin are both terrible deals. Too bad JFJ doesn't recognize that. I think Theodore is really the worst though. That much for a washed-up back up goalieTough luck for the Av's.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4027
( )

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  00:52:12  Reply with Quote
wheres naslund?
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  06:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta be Yashin. He's one of those lazy players, and if he would step it up a bit NYI might've gone somewhere in the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  07:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, any one of these guys! Federov is worth every penny when he plays to his potential.
Maybe every player should have a maximum of a 2 year contract. That would probably take care of the coasting problem some players seem to have. They would play well the first year to prove they were worth the money and then the next year they would have to play well or they wouldn't command the dollars that they think they deserve for their next contract. Just thinking out loud there.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

Guest8410
( )

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  07:53:19  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Wow, any one of these guys! Federov is worth every penny when he plays to his potential.
Maybe every player should have a maximum of a 2 year contract. That would probably take care of the coasting problem some players seem to have. They would play well the first year to prove they were worth the money and then the next year they would have to play well or they wouldn't command the dollars that they think they deserve for their next contract. Just thinking out loud there.

I think that's a great idea. The problem will be the GM's though... they would want to lure players from other teams by giving them long term deals. I really like the idea of incentive based contracts, similar to what Dominik Hasek has. If you reach certain milestones you get more money.

As far as overpaid I thought Naslund was bad until I saw that list. Yashin's a horrible deal so I had to vote for him. Other notable standouts are Theodore and Jovo (for 7 million!)
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4027

wheres naslund?

I actually had Naslund on there to begin with, but he just doesn't quite suck enough. Maybe if he had been worse in the playoffs, but he wasn't too bad.

I had to leave a few prime candidates out (like Adam Foot at over $4 million).

Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And just a note...I don't think Jovo, McCabe or Richards suck, but I think they are WAY overpaid - that's why I included them.

Go to Top of Page

bonfire420
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8410

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I think that's a great idea. The problem will be the GM's though... they would want to lure players from other teams by giving them long term deals. I really like the idea of incentive based contracts, similar to what Dominik Hasek has. If you reach certain milestones you get more money.

As far as overpaid I thought Naslund was bad until I saw that list. Yashin's a horrible deal so I had to vote for him. Other notable standouts are Theodore and Jovo (for 7 million!)

oops forgot to sign in...
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fedorov may be lazier and less motivated than he used to be, but even when he doesn't play to his potential, Columbus would still be nowhere without him. You take him and Nash off the team and they'd be close to last. 'Course if Sergei did play to his potential, Columbus might've done a bit better than they did.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Thedore is a little overpriced. 6 million for a backup goalie? Ouch
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  10:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Fedorov may be lazier and less motivated than he used to be, but even when he doesn't play to his potential, Columbus would still be nowhere without him. You take him and Nash off the team and they'd be close to last. 'Course if Sergei did play to his potential, Columbus might've done a bit better than they did.

Agreed. In fact, he'd be a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer had he played at the level he did during his Hart Trophy year. He just didn't have the dedication to the game. H was too busy dating underage tennis players and getting DUI's.

Still a better-than-average player, though.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  10:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think when Yashin signed that contract it wasn't a bad decision. He just came off of back to back 40+ goals seasons and 4 consecutive 30 goals seasons. As a 27 year old, he should have been hitting his stride. Hindsight is always 20/20.

My vote goes to Theodore. What was Montreal thinking when they game him $6 million/year?? In the 3 years before that, he was 83-83-21 in 191 games. That's less than .500!! He did have a .920 save % during that time, but was that enough for $6 million/year?? He also has shown to play worst in the playoffs than the reg season.

That is a crap contract!
Go to Top of Page

67LEAFS
Top Prospect

17 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  11:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top tree overpaid Yashin, Theodore and McCabe. They all verge on "YOU SUCK". Honourable mention goes to Jovo, Kubina, Naslund. If you think 3.7 mil is a lot then throw in Martin Gerber as overpaid.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  12:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great site. I think that Theodore's contract is the worst. He was good for Montreal but when the NHL made equpiment smaller so did Theodore's skill. 6 mil for a backup. Ya thats bad.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  12:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Great site. I think that Theodore's contract is the worst. He was good for Montreal but when the NHL made equpiment smaller so did Theodore's skill. 6 mil for a backup. Ya thats bad.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)

Yep. Very bad for a back-up goalie. Not even great for a first-stringer, really.

Now that Budaj looks like he will emerge, it looks even worse.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page