Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 The Next Shoe to Drop Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  08:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
With so much speculation regarding trades for the Leafs, and after the draft and Schenn moving out for VanRiemsdyk . . . who is the next player of note soon to become a Leafer?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Luongo
Stastny
Schultz
Bernier
Nash
Parise
Suter
Ryan
No Other players of note acquired
Another Player (write in below)

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  08:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take Schultz off the list Slozo, he's going to Edmonton!

I don't think Burke is going for Luongo nor do I think that Luongo is interested in TO. Also, with the JVR trade I think that Ryan is off the table. His $5 mil cap hit would be better spent on a Keeper. Same reason that Suter is off my list.

Bernier is a legit option. He won't be seeing the ice any time soon behind Quick. Fr some reason I also think Steve Mason is an option. The CBJ manager is a complete moron and he may want to go with Bobrovsky as is #1.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  06:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Beans,

You may or not be privy to info regarding Schultz having played with Gardiner, them being good friends, and now a spot opening up beside him with the departure of Schenn. Lots of talk that the Leafs have the inside track on him.

That being said, it sure is a lot of hype and whatnot for a kid who hasn't played a single game in the NHL, so I am neither here nor there on the subject.

My main interest is in Luongo, and would be most happy with that acquisition. Second on my list would be Parise, and close behind that Stastny. I don't think Suter is coming here, so he is sort of off my personal list.

I voted Stastny, as that is the current rumour of "interest". But who knows, it's almost more likely to be someone not on the list.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  08:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll surely be an interesting week. Schultz is allowed to talk to teams but can't officially sign with any until Sunday i believe? Gives all the teams in the running a chance to chat with him, however it's likely he's already made his mind up to some degree you'd think? Will he go with Edmonton and a pretty much guaranteed spot on the PP with a bunch of young studs? Does he go with Toronto and his good buddy Gardiner, where he's also more than likely guaranteed PP time (and playing time for that matter, AND with the link to Burke who originally drafted him when in Anaheim)? Does he go off the board and go to a team closer to contenting like the Canucks, Red Wings or Hawks? Does playing in Vancouver appeal to him keeping in mind he was born in BC?

I think TO and Edm actually have the edge hear, with Edm prob a little more of a favorite. How could a young guy not wanna line up with the dynamic offensive force they're putting together with Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, etc? In a way it'd be good for the NHL to see Edm able to lure a highly sought after FA, but at the same time, considering the way they've built the team (3 straight #1's), some would see it as unfair or have the attitude that "any team could build that way if they're willing to be bad for that long", but that's another topic altogether.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  09:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you may want to drop Luongo from that list as well. According to reports today on TSN, Luongo will only waive his NTC for FLA - which makes sense given his family situation. However, making it the only destination makes it tough for MG to swing a legitmate deal. Who knows whats true or not anymore, but it sounds like no other team is on his list...
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  10:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't think either Suter or Parise will sign here. in fact i personally believe that Suter's gonna sign with Detroit.
Stastny would be nice, but at what price?
Luongo or Bernier? these two puzzle me. if Burke truly believes in Reimer like he says he does (and he re-iterrated that this past weekend), then he's looking for short-term veteran help. Luongo's not short-term, and Bernier's not a veteran. one possible scenario: Luongo's traded to Florida, then we make a trade for Theodore? probably wouldn't cost much to get him and he's only got one more year on his contract.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  10:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh and Nash? i still don't understand the love in with this guy. specifically in Toronto. don't we basically have a mirror image of Nash in Joffrey Lupul? 28 years old, big, skilled, top line RW'er, can put the puck in the net. why give up precious assets in a trade for a guy you more or less already have? especially with the great chemistry he showed with Kessel last year.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  10:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres a thought tim thomas. veteren and only one year left where we can sign him to a small extension veteran and short term.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  11:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas apparently did waive his no trade clause but the talk is about him being fodder for a team trying to get to the cap basement.

Stastny is an interesting possibility. This guy has serious upside and he could be that #1 centre that has been missing. However, with the recent deals in TO, who would be going the other way?? Colorado is not giving this guy away for nothing.

As far as Justin Schultz goes, my comment of him coming to Edmonton was in jest. More wishful thinking than anything. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the kid sign here but I am not holding my breath. I don't see TO being a good fit. Phaneuf and Gardiner are the prime time players. Schultz would be #3 at best. In Edmonton he would likely step in at #2 and be #1 in a year (if he is as good as people say he is). If it's a pure hockey decision I think Edmonton (or Vancouver) is a better fit.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  11:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

you may want to drop Luongo from that list as well. According to reports today on TSN, Luongo will only waive his NTC for FLA - which makes sense given his family situation. However, making it the only destination makes it tough for MG to swing a legitmate deal. Who knows whats true or not anymore, but it sounds like no other team is on his list...

Well, now i guess we'll see just what kind of return MG can get eh? I never expected much in the first place but now how can you realistically expect anything more than 3rd round pick or something token like that? This really forces Gillis' hand for sure. What's even more strange is, what if Fla simple says "thanks but no thanks, we're not at all interested". Can you imagine Luongo here next year, even if he accepted the backup role? Can you imagine how the fans would feel towards him? Yikes. It's entirely his choice though, he signed a contract that he is/was willing to honor and now the team is the one looking to reneg on it or move him.

I think in the end that if Fla decided they didn't want him that Luongo would be open to other options. The article i read said Luongo is "pressing for a move to Fla" and didn't say it was there or nowhere or anything like that. I'd be willing to be that he's too proud a guy to accept a backup role at this point and would love an opportunity to try his game in another city. If he can't get the one on the top of his list then i'm sure he'll eventually open up to others.

Bottom line is, it's MG's prob. He, and his organization , sign Luongo to this deal and it's up to them to deal with it now. If they can't get anything for him, they'll have to look at it as a salary dump / cap space gain and move on and be happy that their young goalie has developed to a point that this move wouldn't hurt them.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  12:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

oh and Nash? i still don't understand the love in with this guy. specifically in Toronto. don't we basically have a mirror image of Nash in Joffrey Lupul? 28 years old, big, skilled, top line RW'er, can put the puck in the net. why give up precious assets in a trade for a guy you more or less already have? especially with the great chemistry he showed with Kessel last year.

can a team really have TOO many "big, skilled, top line RW'er, can put the puck in the net" guys?

Besides, Lupul has done it for one year - Nash has done it over and over again since he came into the league. Teams like consistency.

Edited by - nuxfan on 06/25/2012 12:08:48
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  13:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
can a team really have TOO many "big, skilled, top line RW'er, can put the puck in the net" guys?

Besides, Lupul has done it for one year - Nash has done it over and over again since he came into the league. Teams like consistency.

no arguements there. i'm just saying it's not worth the price that Columbus is apparently asking.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  18:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kessel is the RW, Lupul plays LW on that line. So it would be Kessel and Nash as two really good RW. Anyway price is too steeped and Nash is not a good fit right now.

Parise would be awesome to have but I don't think that he'll sign in Toronto.

I'm really looking forward to have a goalie in Toronto. Hoping the Luongo deal gets done for TO, or Bernier would also be awesome.

As for Stastny, great fit, don't know if Burke is ready to give a top six, a good prospect and a high draft pick which I speculate would be what Colorado would be asking for him.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  19:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for goaltending, if Burke wants 2 more years to look at Reimer and Schrivens, well sign someone with 1 - 2 years remaining on a contract........go for Thomas, see how the young guys develop....

I wouldn`t mind seeing Luongo in TO....but i certainly wouldn`t sell the farm to get him but he would bring stability...no doubt.

The only way i see Nash coming to TO is if Kessel goes the other way, is this good or bad ?? i don`t know. I would ( maybe ) make this deal, i really like Nash but i like kessel too and kessel is younger....but Nash has size, maybe not physical but neither is kessel......they are both game breakers.

Some might say, why give up a player like kessel to get a player like Nash ??....the reality of it folks is that these names you are talking about are great hockey players and no GM is parting with someone like Nash or Stastny unless they receive great return.

Burke was damn lucky he got JVR for L. Schenn....but these names being tossed around now ain`t gonna end up in TO unless he ( Burke ) is willing to part ways with the likes of J. Gardiner, M. Reilly or N. Kadri.......not all 3 oboviously but some kind of package.

I would say that in order to get a guy like Nash, TO would have to give up N. Kadri....a 1st rd pick and a roster player ( kulimen maybe )......is it worth it ??? make you wonder.
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  16:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like Luongo as a goalie. Can't stand up. Dives head first at pucks. Loses stick constantly. Loses confidence consistantly. And ALL of that on a team built to win CUPS [and President's Trophys]. Imagine how crappy he'd look as a Leaf.

I voted for Nash...not because it'll likely happen...but because I wish it would.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  19:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing the avs would trade stastny for that the leafs have is:
To COL:
- 1st round pick OR two 2nd rounders
- Clarke MacArthur
- kadri, gunarsson, or gardiner

To TOR:
- Paul stastny
- Ryan Wilson or Ryan o'byrne

that's my opinion of what it would cost just difficult cuz the avs only need wingers and the only one with significant value on the leads would be kessel

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  04:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

The only thing the avs would trade stastny for that the leafs have is:
To COL:
- 1st round pick OR two 2nd rounders
- Clarke MacArthur
- kadri, gunarsson, or gardiner

To TOR:
- Paul stastny
- Ryan Wilson or Ryan o'byrne

that's my opinion of what it would cost just difficult cuz the avs only need wingers and the only one with significant value on the leads would be kessel

66 is > than 99

You sir are delusional if you think that's a fair asking price.

I think that all it would take is MacArthur, Kadri and a low pick;
Or possibly, Bozak, MacArthur, and there is a low pick coming back with Stastny.

In that range.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  08:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly (and respectfully) I think you are both delusional. Firstly, Stasnty is an elite #2 and possibly #1 centre in the right situation. He is more valuable than a 2nd line forward with scoring upside(MacArthur) and a bust to this point prospect (Kadri) and a low pick. At the same time, the deal involving a 1st round pick, that 2nd line scoring forward, and a legit blue chip defensemen is equally absurd.

I think a deal to land Stanstny would be somewhere in the middle of those deals.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  10:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll see, Beano.

I've got a little hunch now Leaf fans . . . Komisarek is leaving the Leafs. This hunch is based on Komisarek handing over the team NHLPA rep duties to David Steckel.

Now, is this the kind of thing that could have easily been transferred to another player right after a trade? Sure . . . but we are in a crucial time right now, heavily into negotiations over a new CBA. It's a time when each team needs to have a solid rep throughout the whole process.

Which is why this says to me . . . that Komisarek was given the heads up on the potential for such a move, or somehow, Komisarek feels the winds of change about to blow in his direction.

So. Steckel is defintely a Leafer this year, and odds are Komisarek is leaving soon. Which means Franson is likely staying (Leafs wouldn't deal that many big defencemen at once, and he fills a Komisarek role somewhat with lots more offence).

So Beans, I'll revise my Stastny offer:
MacArthur, Komisarek (as a salary hit, but a serviceable d-man) and a 3rd rounder.
Deal?

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  10:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, I think you are far closer with that deal. If I was the GM of the Avs I would likely hold out for a 2nd rounder or perhaps make it a conditional pick for the potential for a 2nd rounder.

But yeah. The Avs have 2 quality centres and MacArthur would fill a 2nd line scoring void. Komisarek brings sandpaper and a good fit at the #5. The price is a little high for him which would a make me want the 2nd rounder.

But the deal does fit.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  11:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still think its low. Statsny is a bonafide top-line centre IMO, the fact that COL have two of them muddies his waters a bit. But I think he becomes the defacto top-line guy on all but a handful of NHL teams if he moves - he has the size and production capabilities to do it. If TOR can get that sort of player for a cast away defenseman (Komisarek), defunt top prospect (Kadri) and a quality second line scorer in MacArthur, Burke will have done well.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2219
( )

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  19:55:37  Reply with Quote
No way the Av`s make that proposed deal. Statsny is more valuable than that package. Who the hell wants Kom`s contract ??

The only way the leafs dump Kom`s contract is to take $$$$$ back, someone who is just as overpaid but at the forward position, ...eg..Scott Gomez.....ouch !!!

No way the Av`s let Statsny go to the leafs without getting youth back, and damn good youth at that. Statsny is an all - star player and will demand all - star potential in return.

If i were the Av`s GM, i would want a 2nd rd pick..... a gamble on N. Kadri ( could be a gem, this kid has skill )...plus either Reimer or Schrivens.

Why would i want Kom. or C. Mac ??....They are a dime a dozen come free agency.....Why would i give up an all - star center for players i can buy at will come July 1 ???
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  19:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
srry guest 2219 was me...forgot to log on.
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  21:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then I doubt it happens at all. The leafs don't have the assets (needs of the avalanche) and where they do they aren't willing to part. The avs will rock 3 centers until they get a deal that blows them out of the water. On second thought if its going to happen it to TO it may need a third party involved

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  23:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Stastny is made available for trade, he will be the only legitimate center on the market and will fetch quite the price. Seriously. He will get enough in return that everyone will think the other team was ripped off. (and that's the price you should expect to pay to get an all-star center right now)

Quite frankly, none of these mentioned trades would be enough for the Avalanche to give up a player that 29 other teams would likely make a pitch for.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  05:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Open_Ice

If Stastny is made available for trade, he will be the only legitimate center on the market and will fetch quite the price. Seriously. He will get enough in return that everyone will think the other team was ripped off. (and that's the price you should expect to pay to get an all-star center right now)

Quite frankly, none of these mentioned trades would be enough for the Avalanche to give up a player that 29 other teams would likely make a pitch for.

Yeah yeah, and the Toronto Maple Leafs could never get a 46 pt defenceman for anything more than a solid propsect and a lineup player. Oh, wait - they got Liles for a 2nd rounder.

You guys need to do some research. Go back in history, and see what value comes back for a player like Stastny in the offseason.

And don't look up players like the 09/10 Stastny (20g, 59a, 79 pts); looks up the 57, 53 pt Stastny players.

That's right mofos . . . The last two years, Stastny has almost the exact same point totals as Grabovski (Grabo just scores a bit more). Now, what was Grabovski described as by all you guys before, in the thread talking about his overpayment of a contract? A solid 2nd line player, maybe a first line centre IN A PINCH.

And think similar situation/teams, it's not like Grabo is playing with more talented players than Stastny the last two years.

The whole reason a team is willing to even part with or trade a player usually indicates fallen worth of some kind. And it's no different here. Stastny looked like a budding all-star, a future 80 point player, and instead has settled into what for him looks like mediocrity. Expectations have not been met, and the Avalanche have an abundance of centres and want to go in a different direction.

I expect a fair deal for Stastny, not an overpayment - whether it's the Leafs or any other team.

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  11:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
someone else to possibly maybe consider on sunday when the FA market opens..........Martin Brodeur???
it's all over the T.O. papers today that he plans to test the market come sunday. even hired an agent to do so.
what are the chances he signs with the Leafs on a 1 - 2 yr. deal to play out his last years on a Canadian team?
he'd be a great asset on the ice, on the bench, and in the locker room. the perfect mentor for Reimer and Scrivens. i'd certainly take that over Luongo's contract.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  15:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

someone else to possibly maybe consider on sunday when the FA market opens..........Martin Brodeur???
it's all over the T.O. papers today that he plans to test the market come sunday. even hired an agent to do so.
what are the chances he signs with the Leafs on a 1 - 2 yr. deal to play out his last years on a Canadian team?
he'd be a great asset on the ice, on the bench, and in the locker room. the perfect mentor for Reimer and Scrivens. i'd certainly take that over Luongo's contract.

I think the odds on Brodeur picking TOR are nearly zero. Many analysts have him choosing to go with CHI, should he become available as a UFA. CHI provides him a real chance to win one more time in the next 2 years, and like the Leafs, they only need him for the same amount of time (2 years or so), until Crawford finds his form again.

TOR might be able to offer him more money, but I don't think that Brodeur is particularly motivated by more millions at this stage in his career.

Edited by - nuxfan on 06/29/2012 15:02:17
Go to Top of Page

Guest1743
( )

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  14:41:33  Reply with Quote
does anyone else feel that if Toronto goes into next season with their current roster they are going to be brutal?
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  15:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1743

does anyone else feel that if Toronto goes into next season with their current roster they are going to be brutal?

No...
and that's the only response a comment like yours deserves.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  16:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest1743

No...
and that's the only response a comment like yours deserves.

Gipper, i know it's easy to assume that's a Leaf bashing comment/question, but is it not fair? Their #1 concern entering the offseason was goaltending. What have they done? They've lost Gustavsson, whether that's good or bad is up for debate, but they've done nothing else to solidify that concern. JVR is a bonus, but it cost them a decent defensive dman so is the D any better than last year?

I can't tell exactly what a lot of guest posts intentions are in things like this, but i think the question is fair and my answer would be that i think they'll be in a similar position as last year whereby they'd struggle to make the playoffs, especially if they don't come out of the gate strong like they did this past season. Whether it's Luongo or someone else, they need an upgrade in goal, unless of course one of their youngsters suddenly performs beyond everyone's expectations.
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  17:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it really depends on reimer if thats who they're going forward with. He needs to re-establish himself as a number one goalie in the nhl which he has done i'd say for maybe half his career thus far.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  19:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

it really depends on reimer if thats who they're going forward with. He needs to re-establish himself as a number one goalie in the nhl which he has done i'd say for maybe half his career thus far.

66 is > than 99

In order to re-establish, one must first establish. Reimer has not done that yet. "half his NHL career" only amounts to 30-ish games!
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  05:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex your point is valid. just the way the question was phrased i see it as nothing more then an attempt to stir the pot.

but to answer the question.....who knows? i mean really. take what Buffalo did last year as an example. they loaded up in the off season with trades and FA signings. on paper, with the roster they had, most of the experts had them as a solid lock to make the playoffs. some were even calling them cup contenders. and the flip side of that was looking at Florida and Ottawa. hardly anyone saw those teams having the seasons they did. so again, the answer is simply who knows?
especially with it being early July and the roster is more then likely to change between now and the start of camp in September (based on what Burke said yesterday on the radio).
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been tons of rumours or patrick marleau from the sharks to TOR! could be interesting what do ya think.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  15:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mandree, it's the first i've heard of this, though i've not been listening to too much sports radio this week (too busy at work). I think he's the kind of guy they need and would be great for the Leafs. BUT, what would it cost them? Any talk of what the Leafs would send to SJ?

Also, was there any mention of Rick Nash to SJ if the Marleau deal comes through? I imagine the 6.9 per year (for 2 more years) that SJ would be losing from their payroll would allow them to go after Nash even more than they have? Having said that, CBJ has been pretty stubborn with wanting Couture as part of any Nash deal and SJ so far refuses to budge.

Back to Marleau, he's only got 2 years left on his deal and would Burke need some sort of guarantee that he's going to re-up with TO?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  07:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, all I heard was crickets when I responded with my take on Stastny being very compareable RIGHT NOW (last two years) to Grabovski, and I gave evidence of a past low value decent asset acquired through trade from Colorado earlier (Liles).

Has everyone here gone back and done the research on what an asset like Stastny would take to get?

Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  08:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex to be honest i have nop idea what his value is. i know he was in SJ when burke was there originally.

i know that if the sharks go after nash it wouldn't hurt to get rid of some cap hit.

that being said burke isnt just gonna say ok i will take all the cap hit and risk invovled. something will be sent back. to replace him and maybee a smaller salary dump of our own

i am thinking mac arthur, and lombardi? maybee kadri to sweaten the deal?
like i said i have no idea what the cost would be for him.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  14:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what do you think alex.
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  14:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

So, all I heard was crickets when I responded with my take on Stastny being very compareable RIGHT NOW (last two years) to Grabovski, and I gave evidence of a past low value decent asset acquired through trade from Colorado earlier (Liles).

Has everyone here gone back and done the research on what an asset like Stastny would take to get?

It just worked out well for Toronto that they got liles for a second rounder. First off a second rounder IMO can be just as valuable if not more valuable than liles - stars are commonly found in the early second round. But I will side with you a second rounder did seem even a little low value for liles.

The reason the trade happened is because the avs management saw the defense on the team as being too small. Management ditched smaller guys like liles to make room for bigger tougher guys that hit and protect the crease. In the end I don't think management saw much value in liles. On the contrary, stastny helps define the team as having three strong centers and his two way play is outstanding. The numbers might be similar in the last two years, but stastny is much better than Grabo IMO.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  15:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I honestly wondered if you were serious...

If you're just comparing point totals over the last 2 years, then yes, they two players are similar. But point totals only give you so much... if you look at the teams, its clear that Statsny has done as much with less, and has shown he's capable of producing more when surrounded by a good supporting cast. He has been one of the top-2 scorers for COL in each of the last 4 seasons, riding the highs and lows of the franchise.

The last couple of years have not been kind to COL, and after losing their scoring depth - Svatos, Stewart, Wolski, Sakic, Brunette, Hejduk, Smyth all played with Stastny at some point during his first few years in the NHL, they were reduced to just Duschene, Stastny, O'Reilly and Hejduk as legitimate scoring threats last season. Over the last couple of years COL has become a much more defensive team (2.89 G/game 3 years ago vs 2.7 2 years ago vs 2.4 last year) as they bring up prospects and rebuild a bit. But they're going in the right direction, and with the arrival of Landeskog, O'Reilly, Downie, and now Parenteau, plus the emergence of Jones, as well as Stastny and Duschene and O'Reilly, I expect that Statsny can easily return to PPG status.

Grabo has not ever been in the top-2 in team scoring, and last year was a very distant 3rd for TOR - despite playing a very run-and-gun style with lots of tempo and offense, and him getting lots of chances on the second line and PP units.

I see Stastny at least 7 times a year, and I agree with @valanche - he is a solid 2-way centre that has size and speed. He plays a physical game and can score consistently. And he's only 26 years old.

He would normally be a coveted addition, but in an offseason with no other centres currently available, someone would overpay. If COL were to make him available, I think at least 20 teams would have interest in him, and I doubt the winning bid would be MacArthur + maybe Kadri to "sweeten the deal"

Edited by - nuxfan on 07/07/2012 15:18:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page