Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
 Grind Line
 New NHL… Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Zoran
Top Prospect

Canada
55 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  09:10:28  Show Profile
This 2005-06 season, the first in the New NHL era, has been much more exciting than most anticipated. Credit this to the new rules including the crackdown on clutching and grabbing, and the restrictions on goaltender equipment. The two-line stretch pass and the larger offensive zone have also made for some highlight reel goals. And even though many respected hockey personalities – Pat Quinn for example, are still not sold on the shootouts, the elimination of ties has added for some exciting finishes. While the shootout causes many hard-core Canadian fans to have flashbacks of the 1998 Olympic Games, it also attracts new fans to a game that is desperately trying to increase its viewer-ship.

The game is faster and more wide open with skilled skaters scoring loads of goals. The stars of the game are shining bright under these conditions: Alfredsson is on pace for 75 goals and 152 points; at least a dozen players should break the 100 point mark.

In the East especially, seeing teams win 8-5 and 6-4 is a nightly occurrence. This abundance of goals is a refreshing change from the previous NHL season that was without a 50 goal scorer. In fact it barely had three 40 goal scorers in Kovalchuk, Iginla and Nash who each had 41.

The plethora of power plays deserves some credit for the increase in scoring. Kovalchuk is on pace for 40 power play goals and 80 power play points! The amount of 5-on-3 chances this year has been astounding.

Leads have not been safe this season. Generally, in the Old NHL, teams entering the third period with a lead were well positioned to hold on for the win. Teams that once sat on a one or two goal lead are now forced to place emphasis on the offensive side of the game. It seems that the four goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey.

On the negative side, the parade to the penalty box has taken the flow out of many of the games that I have seen during the first quarter of the season. In addition, fighting is down about 40% from the 2003-04 season. Some may see this as positive, but it depends on which side of that fence you are on.

Overall, the New NHL has been exactly what all of us fans deserve, especially after suffering through a year without hockey.

Have an opinion on George's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute articles on a regular basis drop us an email. admin@pickuphockey.com

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  10:37:32  Show Profile
Lots of great changes this year. But I don't like the shoot out....not quite so soon anyway. How about at least 5 more minutes of OT first.

Not big on a game where it is played 50% on the PP. Although i like that the concept behind it (no hooking, holding etc) I think the refs should use a little more discretion. It might cut the penalties by 15% or so which would still be up from previous years. And i wish the goalies could play the puck again.

love the smaller gear on the goalies.
love the tag up off-side
love the 2 line passes

Hate the diving calls. let the guys play, it will sort it self out.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  10:40:14  Show Profile
Ripley the Shootout is great. Did you not see Malik's show boat goal on the weekend. That kind of stuff makes the hilight reel in the US - exactly where the NHL needs to get more people interested.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  23:59:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pucker

Ripley the Shootout is great. Did you not see Malik's show boat goal on the weekend. That kind of stuff makes the hilight reel in the US - exactly where the NHL needs to get more people interested.

Personally I don't like it in a Team sport but hey if we have to have it let us play 5 more minutes to settle it properly. Then let's resolve it in a shoot out so the networks can get back to the OC or Desperate Housewives where the real money is.

Malik's goal was off the charts and his celebration was priceless. Only a mediocre player could get away with that attitude. If that was a goal scorer he might have been knocked out the next time he stepped on the ice. haha!
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  09:25:58  Show Profile
Have you heard the NHL is considering using the shootout in the playoffs. I love it in the regular season but they can't use it in the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  13:55:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pucker

Have you heard the NHL is considering using the shootout in the playoffs. I love it in the regular season but they can't use it in the playoffs.

NHL, PLEASE DO NOT USE THE SHOOTOUT IN THE PLAYOFFS!finish the game the way it was meant to be finished!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page