Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Love the high scoring...hate the penalties Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  08:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leafs win 9-6. Wait a minute, is that an NFL score? No it's just the new NHL. The high scoring games are great and I can't believe I am saying this but the shootout is also a lot of fun to watch. But the amount of penalties is getting ridiculous. It seems like you can't breath near an opposing player without getting 2 minutes for hooking. And when did the bodycheck become an endangered species? I still think it will change come playoff time - or at least I hope.

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  15:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm liking a high scoring game (5-4ish) but 9-6 is a bit much. As long as it is just once in a while it's ok. So last night with TO was good. If it starts happening too much then it's like too much sugar, a tasty treat a few times but it gives you stomach ache after too many.

I've said it over and over I know...but the shoot out is not a part of the game. Where is the team sport in it? If we HAVE to have it then at least give us 5 or 10 minutes more of real hockey first. Believe me, Sudden Death Overtime is even more exciting and the fans stay to watch just the same.

I do feel like the players are slowly learning about the hooking but it will be a long process to undo a lifetime of hooking. Maybe in 5 years when the new crop of young teenagers who played their formative years under the new rules come into the league it will be different. But until then we as fans will have to endure some excessive calls.

But I hear ya about the bodychecking. It's a shame to see some of the one-on-one puck battles go by the wayside because a ref calls a poor penalty. IE: Bertuzzi/Corvo (Ithink it was Corvo) last night (LAK/VAN) Bert got called for interference when they were both going for the puck and clearly had EACH OTHER lined up for a bump before taking the puck. Corvo got knocked down and therefore Bert sat....poor call.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  21:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about the shoot-out, it's only a gimmick. Give it one or two years and it's gone.

There's nothing wrong with a high-scoring game. The Toronto-Islanders game last night had 17 penalties and that's not a bigger number than most other games. The scoring output is sweet to watch and look who shone: Wellwood, Stajan and Sundin. Three guys who Toronto wanted to step up and it worked. Enjoyable game.

We all know some calls are pretty wussy but it'll be easier for the refs to call more now and maybe lay off down the stretch than to call less now and call more later. I rather it that way.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page