Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2013 Random Predictions Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  13:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Predict whatever the hell you want

Edited by - leigh on 01/27/2013 17:41:47

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  13:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, West predictions:
1.LA
2.Vancouver
3.Chicago
4.St.Louis
5.Minnesota
6.Edmonton
7.San Jose
8.Anahiem
9.Detriot
10.Nashville
11.Colorado
12.Phoenix
13.Calgary
14.Columbus
15.Dallas

East:

1.Rangers
2.Lightning
3.Bruins
4.Penguins
5.Flyers
6.Sabres
7.Devils
8.Senators
9.Capitals
10.Hurricanes
11.Canadiens
12.Panthers
13.Leafs
14.Jets
15.Islanders
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1854 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  14:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, West predictions:
1.Vancouver
2.Chicago
3.St.Louis
4. LA
5. Detroit
6.Edmonton
7.Pheonix
8.SanJose
9.Minnesota
10.Nashville
11.Dallas
12. Anahiem
13.Calgary
14. Colorado
15.Columbus

East:


1.Penguins
2.Rangers
3.Lightning
4.Bruins
5.Flyers
6.Devils
7.Senators
8.Capitals
9. Buffalo
10.Hurricanes
11.Canadiens
12.Panthers
13.Leafs
14.Jets
15.Islanders

Norris: Chara
Hart: Malkin
Vezina: Lundqist
Jack Adams: Hitchcock

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/18/2013 12:30:02
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  14:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You think Dallas is going to finish LAST in the west Sahis? even after adding Jagr, Ray Whitney and Derek Roy? behind Columbus and Phoenix?

Dallas will fight for a playoff spot this year

My prediction:

West

1. St. Louis
2. Vancouver
3. Los Angeles
4. Chicago
5. Detroit
6. Nashville
7. Dallas
8. Phoenix
----------------------
9. San Jose
10. Minnesota
11. Edmonton
12. Anaheim
13. Colorado
14. Calgary
15. Columbus


East

1. New York Rangers
2. Boston
3. Washington
4. Pittsburgh
5. Philadelphia
6. Ottawa
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina
-----------------------
9. Tampa Bay
10. Buffalo
11. Florida
12. Winnipeg
13. Montreal
14. New York Islanders
15. Toronto *


* Baring Toronto does not get Loungo

Edited by - semin-rules on 01/17/2013 15:36:35
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro



701 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  15:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my turn, my turn

West
1. St-Louis
2. Los Angeles
3. Vancouver
4. Chicago
5. Detroit
6. San Jose
7. Minnesota
8. Colorado
9. Dallas
10. Edmonton
11. Nashville
12. Calgary
13. Anaheim
14. Phoenix
15. Columbus

East
1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. Carolina
4. NY Rangers
5. Philadelphia
6. Washington
7. Buffalo
8. Tampa Bay
9. Florida
10. Winnipeg
11. Ottawa
12. New Jersey
13. Montréal
14. Toronto
15. NY Islanders

NYR wins Stanley Cup over LA
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  18:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah dallas got jagr, whitney, roy but they're old, I don't think they'll last in a shortened season, plus Dallas lost a whole bunch of toughness; Ott,Souray,Fistric, which would help in a shortened season.
Plus remember last season with all the hype about columbus, with them getting carter and wisnewski, maybe they'd be a playoff team. New players, even good ones dont necessary guarantee success. That being said maybe 15th is too low, but I dont see them as a playoff team.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5686 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  23:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
East

1. NYR
2. Boston
3. Washington
4. Pittsburgh
5. Philly
6. Carolina
7. Buffalo
8. Ottawa
9. Tampa
10. NJ
11. Florida
12. Toronto
13. Winnipeg
14. NYI
15. Montreal

West

1. St. Louis
2. LA
3. Vancouver
4. Chicago
5. San Jose
6. Minnesota
7. Detroit
8. Nashville
9. Phoenix
10. Dallas
11. Edmonton
12. Anaheim
13. Calgary
14. Colorado
15. Columbus

Hart - Sidney Crosby
Art Ross - Crosby
Richard - Stamkos
Norris - S. Weber
Vezina - Lundqvist
Calder - V. Tarasenko (edges out Schultz and Granlund)
Selke - Toews
Jack Adams - Hitchcock
Lady Byng - J. Eberle, just to make up for the "biggest mistake int he history of the award" that we all witnessed last year, right Slantos? Lol....

And lastly, i'm gonna go with a favorite here, and say that NYR will hoist the cup after a 6 game series victory over the Chicago Blackhawks!

Enjoy the season everyone, and good luck in your pools!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  02:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will post my predictions so don't take this as a cop out.

I am always surprised by some folks who see the landscape of the NHL changing so drastically from one year to the next. Statistically speaking, 80% of the teams from one season make the playoffs the following season. That means only 2-4 teams who make the playoffs one season will miss the following season.

Furthermore, the shorter season doesn't make a difference. Although we only have one comparison, in the last 48 games season only NYI and MONT made the playoffs after missing the playoffs the season before (PHI and QUE made the year before and missed the next year).

Point is, the predictions that have teams climbing 12 spots in the standings or others dropping 12 spots are a little more than far fetched.


Just sayin.........

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4514 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  06:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I will post my predictions so don't take this as a cop out.

I am always surprised by some folks who see the landscape of the NHL changing so drastically from one year to the next. Statistically speaking, 80% of the teams from one season make the playoffs the following season. That means only 2-4 teams who make the playoffs one season will miss the following season.

Furthermore, the shorter season doesn't make a difference. Although we only have one comparison, in the last 48 games season only NYI and MONT made the playoffs after missing the playoffs the season before (PHI and QUE made the year before and missed the next year).

Point is, the predictions that have teams climbing 12 spots in the standings or others dropping 12 spots are a little more than far fetched.


Just sayin.........

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!



Beans,

Although you are still wearing my beloved BLUE AND WHITE MAPLE LEAF COLOURS . . . I do believe it is time to have another wager. And I believe it's my turn to offer terms, so here goes.

I really loved the format of our bet you came up with last year, that was excellent - so I'll try to do something similar here, but it will be a point system. Assume all Leafs are with myself, slozo, all Oilers with Beans.

1) Kessel + Lupul vs Eberle + Hall for total goals.
The difference goes as points to the winner.

(eg. Kessel gets 26 goals, Lupul gets 19 for a total of 45; Eberle gets 25 goals, Hall gets 23 for a total of 48 = Beans gets 3 pts.)

2) Toronto vs. Edmonton - STANDINGS POINTS, add 2 points if your team is in the playoffs.
The difference goes as pts. to the winner.

(eg. Toronto finishes with 51 pts and finishes in 9th; Edmonton gets 50 points and ends up getting 8th spot. Beans gets 1 point since the Oil get the +2 points for making the playoffs)

3) Toronto vs. Edmonton - total goal differential.
The difference goes as pts to the winner.

(ie, last year Toronto was -33 (231 for, 264 against) and Edmonton was -27 (212 for, 239 against) so Beans would have gotten 6 points)

4) Toronto vs. Edmonton - HOME WINS.
Difference goes as points to the winner.

(last year this was a dead heat at 18 wins each, btw)

5) Toronto's top defenceman pts vs Edmonton's top defenceman pts.
Difference goes as points to the winner.

What do you think?
Too over-complicated, or does it pass the sniff test?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4514 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  11:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My predictions:

EAST
1) Pittsburgh
2) Boston
3) Carolina
4) NY Rangers
5) Philly
6) NJ Devils
7) Buffalo
8) Toronto
---------------------
9) Washington
10) Tampa Bay
11) NY Isles
12) Winnipeg
13) Ottawa
14) Montreal
15) Florida

Had to get my Leafers squeezing in. As much as it's easy to write them off again this year, I think with a much better coach and hopefully a stabilised goaltending situation we can do it.

I see Buffalo and Carolina also having greatly improved . . . Washington I think will be the big surprise falling out, and Ottawa comes way back down to earth.

West to come!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1854 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  12:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Slozo, I will make you a similar bet to the one you proposed to Beans using goal deferential, Shutouts, Standings with playoff position +2 as proposed, Top 2 Forwards player points, and Top 1 Defensive player points. Ottawa (me), Toronto (you) for signature rights at outset of regular season for playoffs and offseason.
Go to Top of Page

dgg1412
Top Prospect



Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  16:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wings miss the playoffs ( you dont replace 2 of your top 4 Dmen and 2 of your top 6 forwards in one season even if you are the wings)

Biggest jump in the standings even though they still dont make the playoffs Blue Jacketts they are a better team with out Nash but still no where near good enough for the playoffs.

Come back player of the year Derek Roy

Stanley cup Kings in 7 over the Rangers

Rookie of the year got to go with my boy Baertschi

Flames in as the 7 seed and beat the nucks in the first round ( I know I know wishful thinking)

Leafs get the first over all pick the old fashiond way by finnishing last
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  17:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great bet Slozo! I like it.

I accept, assuming standard avatar of the winners team through the offseason???

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5686 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  21:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Great bet Slozo! I like it.

I accept, assuming standard avatar of the winners team through the offseason???

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!



Beans, you do realize that if you lose again, you will have sported the Maple Leaf logo for 10 outta 15 months come next season???
All kidding aside, another great bet proposal between you two. Well done Slozo, i like th fact you didn't just copy the exact same bet as last year (even though it was good too).
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4514 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  14:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Hey Slozo, I will make you a similar bet to the one you proposed to Beans using goal deferential, Shutouts, Standings with playoff position +2 as proposed, Top 2 Forwards player points, and Top 1 Defensive player points. Ottawa (me), Toronto (you) for signature rights at outset of regular season for playoffs and offseason.



Done! That's an easy one . . . who're your two goal scoring forwards - Spezza and Michalek I assume?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4514 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  14:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Great bet Slozo! I like it.

I accept, assuming standard avatar of the winners team through the offseason???

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!



Yes, avatars for the offseason, yes (right after playoffs)


"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  07:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
East

1. Boston
2. Pittsburgh
3. Washington
4. NY Rangers
5. Philadelphia
6. Florida
7. Buffalo
8. Ottawa
9. New Jersey
10. Carolina
11. Winnipeg
12. Toronto
13. Montreal
14. Tampa Bay
15. NY Islanders


West
1. Chicago
2. Los Angeles
3. Vancouver
4. St. Louis
5. Anaheim
6. San Jose
7. Detroit
8. Edmonton
9. Nashville
10. Phoenix
11. Minnesota
12. Dallas
13. Colorado
14. Columbus
15. Calgary


Hart - Crosby
Art Ross - Crosby
Richard - Neal
Norris - Pietroangelo
Calder - J. Schultz
Jack Adams - Adam Oates
Selke - Datsuyk


Cup Final will be Pittsburg over Chicago in 6
Crosby will win th Conn Smythe



Edited by - Beans15 on 01/21/2013 00:31:48
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4514 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  10:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[btw Beans - you have Detroit fielding two teams!]

Forgot my West predictions, here goes:

1) St. Louis
2) LA Kings
3) Vancouver
4) Chicago
5) Minnesota
6) San Jose
7) Nashville
8) Dallas
-----------------
9) Anaheim
10) Detroit
11) Edmonton
12) Phoenix
13) Colorado
14) Calgary
15) Columbus

Yes - I do predict Detroit misses the playoffs . . . finally!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest7609
( )

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  16:37:05  Reply with Quote
Nashville moving in as a second Detroit team mid-season...Bold prediction Beans!
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4514 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  21:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Short season might be the biggest leading story of course, but for me, these are the interesting teams to follow:

1) After their big signings, where does Minnesota land in the power rankings?

2) Does the shortened season really give the Kings a "bounceback" advantage?

3) Detroit is playing it's first season in over 20 years without Lidstrom . . . and Zetterberg and Datsyuk are on the decline. Are they still relevant as a contender, or even a playoff team?

4) Vancouver looks like a mess with the Luongo situation and key injuries to start . . . can they get through it to once again be a finals threat?

5) The young Oilers . . . is this the year they break through and those young guns take them to the playoffs?

Myself, I do have Minny solidly in the playoffs as a contender; I think LA will have a great season, yes; I think Detroit misses the playoffs (a combination of Lidstrom's absence, and Zetterberg's hip with mediocre goaltending); I think Vancouver will be helped by their weak division and still finish near the top of the standings; and I predict the Oil still don't make it (defence).



"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5686 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  21:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points all around Slozo. I mentioned somewhere before i did my predictions that i could see the Canucks in the 4-6 spot but when i went to do my predictions, i put Minny at 3 (someone's gotta win the div and get the "gift" seed) and it just looked too funny. As Beans says, not often do teams make that big of a jump. So i went back to Vancouver winning the 3 seed by default (div winner). So far it looks like i shoulda left Minny in there!
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4514 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  08:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Good points all around Slozo. I mentioned somewhere before i did my predictions that i could see the Canucks in the 4-6 spot but when i went to do my predictions, i put Minny at 3 (someone's gotta win the div and get the "gift" seed) and it just looked too funny. As Beans says, not often do teams make that big of a jump. So i went back to Vancouver winning the 3 seed by default (div winner). So far it looks like i shoulda left Minny in there!



I went through a similar thought process, actually. The key to me was goaltending - I thought Schneider over Harding, and a slightly better D. Hasn't looked that way so far (and Luongo starting the second game has seriously complicated thing) but, it's still early.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1854 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  08:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Hey Slozo, I will make you a similar bet to the one you proposed to Beans using goal deferential, Shutouts, Standings with playoff position +2 as proposed, Top 2 Forwards player points, and Top 1 Defensive player points. Ottawa (me), Toronto (you) for signature rights at outset of regular season for playoffs and offseason.



Done! That's an easy one . . . who're your two goal scoring forwards - Spezza and Michalek I assume?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug


I was gonna leave that open to the top 2 forwards at the end of the year, but if you wish to pick names for the players then those 2 would be the picks for me. Not certain if Turris is gonna be the #2 points player in Ottawa this year rather than Michalek. He is coming in with a boatload of confidence.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 02/18/2013 17:29:50
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1854 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  10:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Beans,

I enjoyed the friendly wager from last year and have commited my signature to Slozo. My avatar would be open for one of your choosing for the duration of the playoffs and offseason, against your signature of similar quality to last years bet. I am trying to figure out a fair bet this year between Ottawa and Edmonton. You were a great sport with the signature last year. Problem is I can't think of a fair way to structure the bet as your team is likely gonna wipe my team offensively, but will likely do so with a higher number of goals against.

The only way I can figure it fairly is by goal differential and difference in standings year over year. 1 point for difference in goal differencial and 2 points for team movement in the standings from year end to year end. I believe Ottawa's goal differential will be better than twice Edmonton's rise in the standings.

If Ottawa gets 180 goals for, 170 goals against and finishes in 7th that would amount to 12 points for me, due to 1 position higher in the standings at years end.

If Edmonton gets 200 goals for, 190 goals against and finishes in 9th that would amount to 20 points for you, due to a 5 place rise in the standings.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2585
( )

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  12:52:56  Reply with Quote
Toronto fans, why is the most profitable team in the nhl always at the bottom for team points, not player points. When management feels it's easier to buy than develope players heart is lost. You don't buy heart you develope heart for playing for a certain organization. Instead of paying for high priced players, buy a high priced player developer ex. Bowman, Sather, Arbour, Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman. Like the salary Leafs gave Kessel, as a Bruins fan Kessel isn't half the player Wendel Clarke was. No one has any heart on that team from the water boy to the owners, it shows year after year after year. Thanx for being the Leafs, from one of the biggest Bruins fans, wooooo
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1854 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  13:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all your ranting I see no predictions. As a Sens fan I usually chime in with a good leafs bashing, but guest, of all the threads to post in, why here? Of all the ranting did you put Gretzky, Sakic, Lemieux, Yzerman in the same player developer category as Sather, Bowman? I just dont get the point of this post and as a fan of a team which should love a good leafs bash, this was weak.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest2585

Toronto fans, why is the most profitable team in the nhl always at the bottom for team points, not player points. When management feels it's easier to buy than develope players heart is lost. You don't buy heart you develope heart for playing for a certain organization. Instead of paying for high priced players, buy a high priced player developer ex. Bowman, Sather, Arbour, Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman. Like the salary Leafs gave Kessel, as a Bruins fan Kessel isn't half the player Wendel Clarke was. No one has any heart on that team from the water boy to the owners, it shows year after year after year. Thanx for being the Leafs, from one of the biggest Bruins fans, wooooo


Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/23/2013 13:10:14
Go to Top of Page

dgg1412
Top Prospect



Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  13:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest2585 I agree you had some points but wrong topic to post it in. The Leafs have proven over and over that they are missmanaged.
So here is another Prediction

After the Leafs finnish last and win the 1st over all pick they will trade it to and there 2nd rd pick to the Islanders for Nino Niederriter, and Vishnovsky ( oh Forgot that they have a new GM) Never mind the trade they pick Jones.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1028 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  19:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leafs will finish 6th in the east
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1028 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  19:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Van. won`t excel until Luongo is traded

Cal. will be a playoff bubble team AGAIN

Edm. lack of team defense will keep them out of the playoffs

Winn. will finish in 10th

Ott will be a playoff bubble team 9th

Mont. will finish 12th or 13th
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8152 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  09:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Justin Schultz - Nick Schultz
Ryan Whitney - Mark Fistric
Cory Potter - Ladislav Smid

Jeff Petry


Why or why do people think the Oilers need defensive help??? They need offensive scoring from the back end if anything, but defense???

N. Shultz and Smid were both top 10 in block shots for defensemen last season

Smid and Fistric were both top 20 in hits for defensement

Jeff Petry blocked over 100 shots and had over 100 hits.


The Oilers defense is fine. That may be hard to believe after the beating they took at the hands of San Jose, but they are fine. That group of 6 might be missing the elite #1 but I don't think they are too far behind many groups in the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5686 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  10:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, i'll say this much. That "missing" elite #1 may just be J. Shultz. Time will tell. As for offense from the back end right now, i think the aforementioned Shultz and Whitney will provide enough of that. When it comes to PP, they will often use a fwd on the point anyway so they'd only need one of these, likely Schultz, there anyway, leaving Whitney to qb the 2nd unit.

Now, i don't know if blocked shots is a lot to go on as far as defense is concerned, but there must be a reason that it's widely reported, and yes, this is from so called hockey experts/insiders, that the Edmonton Oilers lack the defensive depth to be considered a serious contender at this time. I've read countless predicitons from "hockey minds", be it Bob Mackenzie, Pierre Lebrun, etc or bloggers like Greg Wyshynski (Puck Daddy), and most of them say "the Oilers just don't have the defense to get them to the post season".

Personally i don't think that list of guys is all that bad. But why is it all these people who cover hockey or work in "hockey circles" think otherwise???
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4514 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  10:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Justin Schultz - Nick Schultz
Ryan Whitney - Mark Fistric
Cory Potter - Ladislav Smid

Jeff Petry


Why or why do people think the Oilers need defensive help??? They need offensive scoring from the back end if anything, but defense???

N. Shultz and Smid were both top 10 in block shots for defensemen last season

Smid and Fistric were both top 20 in hits for defensement

Jeff Petry blocked over 100 shots and had over 100 hits.


The Oilers defense is fine. That may be hard to believe after the beating they took at the hands of San Jose, but they are fine. That group of 6 might be missing the elite #1 but I don't think they are too far behind many groups in the NHL.



Being a good hitter isn't necessarily being a good defenceman. Even a Luke Schenn who is always top ten, top 5 in hitting, cannot by any stretch be imagined as anything above a #4 defenceman.

That being said, time will tell Beans. The longer I watch hockey these days in the new NHL, the more I realise that a defensive system, and not the players, make the real difference. And the system in Oiler-land may be a fun and entertaining style, but . . . absent a stellar, game-stealing goalie, it's not one that supports your defence corps or makes them look good in any way.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1028 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  19:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, you put into perspective what i meant in my Oiler prediction in fine fashion.

When i watch the Oilers play....its fun, open, run and gun hockey...which is enjoying for the fans to watch.....vs......mid 90`s Devil1s style hockey....BUT

it just doesn`t win games. Toronto tried this system under Ron Wilson...see what happened.

First of all, using this style, you have to have a top 5 NHL goalie...which the Oilers clearly don`t have ( neither did the leafs )....then you need very skilled forwards...which the oilers DO HAVE ....but they are young and learning...even then you still have to have an elite goalie....

I just finished watching Leafs / NYI. For 25 mins. the leafs played Randy . C ( defensive hockey ).....went up 3-1..... and then tried to full the net afterwards, instead of sticking to the system...

Like the flick of a switch they were last years leafs, playing last years style....what happened ? They lost the game in 10 mins....

Defense wins....if your team hasn`t got a defensive system in place today...your screwed.

Even the Detroit Red Wings play defensive minded first...you have to....thats why they are always on top....its not that no team hasn`t the skill level close to Detroit......THEY PLAY WITH A SYSTEM AND STICK TO IT...ALWAYS...

You don`t need an elite goalie when you keep opposing shots to the outside and rarely give up odd man rushes and rarely take stupid penalities......they are the most organized group of hockey players in the entire league....year in - year out...thats why they win
Go to Top of Page

Guest2341
( )

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  19:45:15  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Ok, West predictions:
1.LA
2.Vancouver
3.Chicago
4.St.Louis
5.Minnesota
6.Edmonton
7.San Jose
8.Anahiem
9.Detriot
10.Nashville
11.Colorado
12.Phoenix
13.Calgary
14.Columbus
15.Dallas

East:

1.Rangers
2.Lightning
3.Bruins
4.Penguins
5.Flyers
6.Sabres
7.Devils
8.Senators
9.Capitals
10.Hurricanes
11.Canadiens
12.Panthers
13.Leafs
14.Jets
15.Islanders


west 6, 7, 8, 9 i dont agree with that anahiem and san jose could maybe make playoffs out of those teams. Oilers can't finish 6th with the defense and goaltending they currently have.

east i think whoever wins the southeast gets 3rd. the canadiens will be lower than the leafs though... other then that its a decent prediction.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2341
( )

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  19:53:34  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Justin Schultz - Nick Schultz
Ryan Whitney - Mark Fistric
Cory Potter - Ladislav Smid

Jeff Petry


Why or why do people think the Oilers need defensive help??? They need offensive scoring from the back end if anything, but defense???

N. Shultz and Smid were both top 10 in block shots for defensemen last season

Smid and Fistric were both top 20 in hits for defensement

Jeff Petry blocked over 100 shots and had over 100 hits.


The Oilers defense is fine. That may be hard to believe after the beating they took at the hands of San Jose, but they are fine. That group of 6 might be missing the elite #1 but I don't think they are too far behind many groups in the NHL.


what were the plus minus for each of those players last season?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1028 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  11:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How come no - one hasn`t jumped all over my prediction for the leafs finishing 6 th in the east ??

Put that there to get the pot stirred..lol ......some has to get things all stirred up here..

Truth is, god only knows where the leafs will finish, i sure don`t.

They will probally get off to a good start again and then tank....if they bomb, i hope they go right to the basement and finally get that top draft pick.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3562 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  11:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

How come no - one hasn`t jumped all over my prediction for the leafs finishing 6 th in the east ??



In a short season like this, anything is possible...
Go to Top of Page

Guest0625
( )

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  20:59:11  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

How come no - one hasn`t jumped all over my prediction for the leafs finishing 6 th in the east ??

Put that there to get the pot stirred..lol ......some has to get things all stirred up here.

It just reeks of desperation for attention. Self admitted trolling. Just too desperate even for a Leafs fan.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0339
( )

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  08:03:03  Reply with Quote
Bruins and pittsburg in east
San jose and chicago in west
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1854 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2013 :  17:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Slozo, I never did get an answer for top forwards and defenseman. As of my last post was hoping to leave out the names just the positions for the point getter's, which seems more relavent today with the loss of both Spezza and Karlsson and it only seems fair to ask now. If I am locked into Spezza/Karlsson I might as well change the signature now.

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Hey Slozo, I will make you a similar bet to the one you proposed to Beans using goal deferential, Shutouts, Standings with playoff position +2 as proposed, Top 2 Forwards player points, and Top 1 Defensive player points. Ottawa (me), Toronto (you) for signature rights at outset of regular season for playoffs and offseason.



Done! That's an easy one . . . who're your two goal scoring forwards - Spezza and Michalek I assume?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug


I was gonna leave that open to the top 2 forwards at the end of the year, but if you wish to pick names for the players then those 2 would be the picks for me. Not certain if Turris is gonna be the #2 points player in Ottawa this year rather than Michalek. He is coming in with a boatload of confidence.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1854 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2013 :  17:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hating that this post is close to the reality of the standings.

quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

How come no - one hasn`t jumped all over my prediction for the leafs finishing 6 th in the east ??

Put that there to get the pot stirred..lol ......some has to get things all stirred up here..

Truth is, god only knows where the leafs will finish, i sure don`t.

They will probally get off to a good start again and then tank....if they bomb, i hope they go right to the basement and finally get that top draft pick.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page