Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ranking the Eastern - no, Atlantic Division Teams Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  07:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
In the brand spanking new, poorly named Atlantic Division, how would you rank the teams for next season?

Basically, how do you think the teams will finish?

The poll is for which team finishes at #1.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Boston
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Buffalo
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Florida

(Anonymous Vote)

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  08:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll go out on a limb and put out my very, very early predictions for how the teams might finish up:

#1 - Boston
(probably the huge consensus here, but I think they'll only just edge out the 2nd place team)
#2 - Toronto
(improved chance at excellent goaltending, tougher forwards will make them, under Calyle's defensive system, a solid team)
#3 - Ottawa
(I don't think Ryan will have a career year, but with Spezza back for a full season plus a healthy Karlsson . . . they are a very good team)
#4 - Buffalo
(I think last year was a blip for this team, which should have been much better.)
#5 - Detroit
(yes, I predict them missing the playoffs. Still no Lidstrom, star players getting old, and a full season of playing those bruising top 3 I put here will mash them up.)
#6 - Montreal
(the biggest fall down for any team, but they overachieved greatly last season.)
#7 - Florida
(Nothing but Huberdeau to really look forward to here)
#8 - Tampa Bay
(gunning for 1st pick next year - only thing that will elevate them is an MVP year from Stamkos)

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2282 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  08:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I`m going a very different route with this one Mr. Slozo,

1. Detroit Red Wings, playing in the east against imo weaker teams also with the best travel Schedule they have ever had (and all the other teams having a worse travel Schedule) not to mention they have the best center in the division and the best goalie.

2 Boston Bruins, Their are no huge flaw in this teams Roster i think they will have a lot of trouble at the begining of the season filling out there defence. They seem like they will be going with as many as 3 Young D-man in their top 6 it may take some time for them to work out that inexpirence which will cost them first place to the Wings.

3. Toronto, They have a solid lineup through and through however hockey is a chemistry sport and they will need time to put that together. Having them third is not a slight on the Leafs roster i see them putting together a strong season and very close to the wings and Bruins.

4. Ottawa, good Young Roster Anderson will be solid and if not Lehener is going to up to the task. Ryan i think will have another solid 30, 30 season.

5. Montréal, Yes they over achieved last season but the season before they underachieved. Price will be back strong, and i think this season the habs will have a changing of the guard. last season they leaned heavily on the vets, this seasoni think Eller Gallagher PAcioretty and Galchenyuk take over as their go to guys and their inexpirence will show.

6. Tampa, tooo much firepower to stay down to long, not to menton i have a feeling Bishop will be a solid starting goalie.

7. Buffalo, with all the controversy with Miller last season and the trade talk, this is simply a weak roster in my eyes. I don`t like they forward group and i really don`t like their D the only reason i don`t see them in last is because Florida is worse.

8. The panthers will spend the season letting all their prospects Learning the ropes and gaining expirence it will translate into entertaining loseing hockey.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

Edited by - Pasty7 on 08/14/2013 08:53:34
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1910 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  08:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the mix could change greatly, depending on if Detroit comes on strong with eastern opponents primarily or they could go the opposite way and see them fall flat out the gates.

I also agree Montreal will drop the greatest in rankings, but still see them in the mix for 4-6. I think Tampa has the ability to rise to contend for 4-6th.

I don't think 2012-13 was a blip in Buffalo and see them 6-8 along with Florida. I believe the sky is falling with Miller unhappy and being the only reason year in year out this team was in the playoff mix. Until this team figures out either how to make him happy again or trade him, this team is in a steep decline.

How will Toronto, Ottawa and Boston fair with Detroit in there conference? I see all 4 fighting it tooth and nail for the division lead all year finishing in 1-4 positions, unless as I said above, Detroit falls flat out of the gates, with Montreal or Tampa taking the final spot.

Side note, as an Ottawa fan, I would love to see Detroit finish 5-8 and Ottawa hammer the Wings every opportunity they play on the score board and on the ice. Want the Wings to lobby the League, a decade or so to return to the West.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1910 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  08:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am gonna nit pic a little and ask. Where the heck is Ottawa? Either your dropped them to 8th or you forgot them outright.

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

I`m going a very different route with this one Mr. Slozo,

1. Detroit Red Wings, playing in the east against imo weaker teams also with the best travel Schedule they have ever had (and all the other teams having a worse travel Schedule) not to mention they have the best center in the division and the best goalie.

2 Boston Bruins, Their are no huge flaw in this teams Roster i think they will have a lot of trouble at the begining of the season filling out there defence. They seem like they will be going with as many as 3 Young D-man in their top 6 it may take some time for them to work out that inexpirence which will cost them first place to the Wings.

3. Toronto, They have a solid lineup through and through however hockey is a chemistry sport and they will need time to put that together. Having them third is not a slight on the Leafs roster i see them putting together a strong season and very close to the wings and Bruins.

4. Montréal, Yes they over achieved last season but the season before they underachieved. Price will be back strong, and i think this season the habs will have a changing of the guard. last season they leaned heavily on the vets, this seasoni think Eller Gallagher PAcioretty and Galchenyuk take over as their go to guys and their inexpirence will show.

5. Tampa, tooo much firepower to stay down to long, not to menton i have a feeling Bishop will be a solid starting goalie.

6. Buffalo, with all the controversy with Miller last season and the trade talk, this is simply a weak roster in my eyes. I don`t like they forward group and i really don`t like their D the only reason i don`t see them in last is because Florida is worse.

7. The panthers will spend the season letting all their prospects Learning the ropes and gaining expirence it will translate into entertaining loseing hockey.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?




"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2282 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  08:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I am gonna nit pic a little and ask. Where the heck is Ottawa? Either your dropped them to 8th or you forgot them outright.

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

I`m going a very different route with this one Mr. Slozo,

1. Detroit Red Wings, playing in the east against imo weaker teams also with the best travel Schedule they have ever had (and all the other teams having a worse travel Schedule) not to mention they have the best center in the division and the best goalie.

2 Boston Bruins, Their are no huge flaw in this teams Roster i think they will have a lot of trouble at the begining of the season filling out there defence. They seem like they will be going with as many as 3 Young D-man in their top 6 it may take some time for them to work out that inexpirence which will cost them first place to the Wings.

3. Toronto, They have a solid lineup through and through however hockey is a chemistry sport and they will need time to put that together. Having them third is not a slight on the Leafs roster i see them putting together a strong season and very close to the wings and Bruins.

4. Montréal, Yes they over achieved last season but the season before they underachieved. Price will be back strong, and i think this season the habs will have a changing of the guard. last season they leaned heavily on the vets, this seasoni think Eller Gallagher PAcioretty and Galchenyuk take over as their go to guys and their inexpirence will show.

5. Tampa, tooo much firepower to stay down to long, not to menton i have a feeling Bishop will be a solid starting goalie.

6. Buffalo, with all the controversy with Miller last season and the trade talk, this is simply a weak roster in my eyes. I don`t like they forward group and i really don`t like their D the only reason i don`t see them in last is because Florida is worse.

7. The panthers will spend the season letting all their prospects Learning the ropes and gaining expirence it will translate into entertaining loseing hockey.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?




"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "



yep i deserve that hahaha i had them i my mind ahead of the habs in the true forth place ooopppps

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1910 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  08:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I am gonna nit pic a little and ask. Where the heck is Ottawa? Either your dropped them to 8th or you forgot them outright.

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

I`m going a very different route with this one Mr. Slozo,

1. Detroit Red Wings, playing in the east against imo weaker teams also with the best travel Schedule they have ever had (and all the other teams having a worse travel Schedule) not to mention they have the best center in the division and the best goalie.

2 Boston Bruins, Their are no huge flaw in this teams Roster i think they will have a lot of trouble at the begining of the season filling out there defence. They seem like they will be going with as many as 3 Young D-man in their top 6 it may take some time for them to work out that inexpirence which will cost them first place to the Wings.

3. Toronto, They have a solid lineup through and through however hockey is a chemistry sport and they will need time to put that together. Having them third is not a slight on the Leafs roster i see them putting together a strong season and very close to the wings and Bruins.

4. Montréal, Yes they over achieved last season but the season before they underachieved. Price will be back strong, and i think this season the habs will have a changing of the guard. last season they leaned heavily on the vets, this seasoni think Eller Gallagher PAcioretty and Galchenyuk take over as their go to guys and their inexpirence will show.

5. Tampa, tooo much firepower to stay down to long, not to menton i have a feeling Bishop will be a solid starting goalie.

6. Buffalo, with all the controversy with Miller last season and the trade talk, this is simply a weak roster in my eyes. I don`t like they forward group and i really don`t like their D the only reason i don`t see them in last is because Florida is worse.

7. The panthers will spend the season letting all their prospects Learning the ropes and gaining expirence it will translate into entertaining loseing hockey.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?




"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "



yep i deserve that hahaha i had them i my mind ahead of the habs in the true forth place ooopppps

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?


I figured that happened. To be honest Montreal could contend for 3rd-4th. With Boston almost half new players, Toronto having 1 successful season could backslide some, Ottawa could underachieve and Detroit might find the East not as weak as they hoped. Montreal with mostly the same roster and weaker teams in there conference might have as much success as they did last year in a really strong NE division. But it is my belief they will finish just outside the playoff picture next year.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 08/14/2013 08:53:07
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
Rookie



Canada
213 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  10:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 Boston - they are the best all around team in the division; Eriksson is a nice upgrade over Seguin and will fit nicely in their top 6. very solid squad.

the next three are a coin flip in my opinion, so call me a wimp for doing it this way...
2, 3, 4 (in no particular order) Toronto, Detroit, Ottawa - i'll go out on a bit of a limb and say Detroit will be 4th simply because this team is not getting any younger, but they still have a good core group and are well coached. Ottawa will be better simply with both Karlsson and Spezza back, and adding Ryan gives them some good scoring punch. i like Toronto's additions of Bernier, Bolland, and Clarkson, but they are still somewhat weak on the back end. assuming they sign Kadri and Lupul can stay healthy, their top 6 is very good. i see Gardiner having a full breakout year.

5 Montreal - Price will be much better this year, with full motivation to be the no. 1 on the Olympic team. good 1 - 2 on D with Markov and Subban. not a whole heck of a lot of fire power up front, and still too small. adding Briere was nice, but at this point he's just a name. way past his prime.

6 Tampa - Stamkos and St. Louis will be their usual selves and finish among the top in league scoring. Drouin will be one of the top rookies, and a Calder candidate.

7 Buffalo - they are as bad as they showed last year. will get some spark from Hodgson and Grigorenko, but not much else. i predict Miller will be traded sometime this season, and they go forward with Enroth as their no. 1.

8 Florida - will be fun to watch at times with Huberdeau and Barkov on the team. but they are still in build mode. very young and inexperienced. note: there's a reason they choose Barkov over Jones and Drouin in the draft this year. he's (Barkov) my early choice to win the Calder.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8190 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  10:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boston - Don't need to repeat anyone here. They have arguably the deepest roster of skilled forwards in the NHL and a great coach, stellar defense, and a vezina quality goalie. If anything hurts them it is a short summer and playing all the way to the Cup final. They may be tired but still good enough to win this division

Montreal - On the upswing. #2 team in the East last season with Price having what many would consider an 'off year' Lost Weber and Ryder and added Briere and their young players are hitting their prime.

Detroit - I have been hearing for years how this team is sliding and they are too old and blah, blah, blah. Adding Wiess and Alfredsson and losing Filpulla is a wash or slightly in Detroits favour. Until they let me down I will keep on picking Detroit to be a great team and I'll keep on being correct. I would feel more comfortable if they had picked up some defensive depth but still confident in this choice

Ottawa - Not the popular choice and many will consider this Leaf bashing but I think adding Ryan as well as a healthy Karlsson gives the top defensive team in the NHL last year an offensive upgrade. If Anderson stays health and in form they may push Detroit for 3rd.

Toronto - Better than the past Leafs teams but adding Clarkson is simply not enough to keep pace with the other teams in this division. No #1 centre and I am still not sold on Kadri and he will have to improve on his breakout year in '13 for the Leafs to return to the playoffs. I also predict a goalie controversy.

Florida - Unreal amount of young talent on this team. I'm taking a flyer with this pick as I see a number of their young pieces coming together this season.

Buffalo - A rebuilding team with some talent still. Not enough to be a legit team thought.

Tampa Bay - Lucky for Canada Steve Yzerman has eyes for elite talent. Unfortuantely for TB, he doesn't see to be able to build a winner. Losing Lecavalier and picking up Filpulla?? That's a bad trade in my book. It will be another long year in Florida.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
391 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  16:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Botson _ all the reasona everyone has pointed out!

Ottawa - This team has been getting better the past two years and i think they are gonna surprise people this year.

Toronto - Again team getting better, the goalies i think will push each other with bernier winning the job kadri i thnk with the confidence from his caoch and the ice time will either match or beat his point per game total from last year. boland and clarkson and some much need grit to the forward as well

Detroit - they will be a hard team to beat this year they are accustom to a more strenous travel time and won't be as fatigued as other teams (IMO) because of this,

Montreal - IMO they overachieved last year. no they could do it again and they have the team that can really aggrevate other teams with their speed but i just dont see them making the playoffs this year.

TB- i think bishop and lindback will push each other. but they are currently quitly rebuilding from the net out and not yet ready for the playoffs.

florida- i dont just see them at the bottom of the division i see them at the bottom of the east

buffalo - i see a trade sending mille and vanek to other team(s) at the trade deadling buffalo entering a rebuild as well. possibly getting the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft.
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  21:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting to see everyone's else's opinions here. Beans thinks Montreal remains second best, I think Detroit falls out of the playoffs, but otherwise, surprisingly uncontroversial opinions, fairly similar. Hunh.

Just Beans and I as the lone s#$t-disturbers, what else is new!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5808 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  06:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Interesting to see everyone's else's opinions here. Beans thinks Montreal remains second best, I think Detroit falls out of the playoffs, but otherwise, surprisingly uncontroversial opinions, fairly similar. Hunh.

Just Beans and I as the lone s#$t-disturbers, what else is new!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug



NOPE! I'm the lone Montreal vote (for first overall). Just haven't had time to summarize the entire div. I'm betting Price has a Vezina worthy year and the youngsters avoid sophmore slumps and the Habs surprise a lot of people. Just a feeling.....
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2282 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  12:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Interesting to see everyone's else's opinions here. Beans thinks Montreal remains second best, I think Detroit falls out of the playoffs, but otherwise, surprisingly uncontroversial opinions, fairly similar. Hunh.

Just Beans and I as the lone s#$t-disturbers, what else is new!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug



NOPE! I'm the lone Montreal vote (for first overall). Just haven't had time to summarize the entire div. I'm betting Price has a Vezina worthy year and the youngsters avoid sophmore slumps and the Habs surprise a lot of people. Just a feeling.....



Yay for the habs ! somebody has to believe!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  09:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Interesting to see everyone's else's opinions here. Beans thinks Montreal remains second best, I think Detroit falls out of the playoffs, but otherwise, surprisingly uncontroversial opinions, fairly similar. Hunh.

Just Beans and I as the lone s#$t-disturbers, what else is new!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug



NOPE! I'm the lone Montreal vote (for first overall). Just haven't had time to summarize the entire div. I'm betting Price has a Vezina worthy year and the youngsters avoid sophmore slumps and the Habs surprise a lot of people. Just a feeling.....



Well, fair enough . . . this division is, in my opinion, a tough one to figure out in the past, and really muddied up now with Detroit in the mix (putting aside the Florida teams as probable playoff spectators).

The past few years, many of us have been wildly off on predicting especially the Habs and Sens, and last year the Leafs were also in there with an unexpectedly strong performance. And with two "aging" powers (Boston and Detroit) and the new dynamic of new teams in the division (TB, Florida and Detroit) . . . it all seems really up in the air, save for knowing Boston being in the playoffs.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5808 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  12:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, keeping in mind this is an early prediction, before training camp, etc, here goes.....

1. Montreal - I look for Price to compete for the starter's gig in Sochi and come out strong. The sophmore's will need to avoid the "sophmore slump" and the other young guys like Subban, Pacioretty, Eller (if healthy), etc will need to continue to improve. Bold predicion? Probably. But it's early.

2. Boston - Pretty solid all around and if Rask doesn't falter, could easily be the division champ. Likely most people's consensus pick.

3. Toronto - Should have improved goaltending and while it may take a bit of time to gell as a team, will be solid. Look for Gardiner to have a mini breakout and if Lupul can stay healthy, they should have enough offense to compete on most nights.

4. Detroit - I too won't count these guys out until i see it. Bottom line is, Z and Datsyuk are still elite and while their D prob will never match what it was when Lidstrom was around, it should be improved with DeKeyser and Smith both getting a little taste last year. Look for improvements from them.

5. Ottawa - Tough one to call. Will they miss Alfie? Will Spezza stay healthy? Will Karlsson? Will Ryan find chemistry with Spezza? Does Anderson repeat his performance of last year, or does he falter and lose his gig to Lehner? Tough team to call. Could challenge for top 3, or could fight to make the playoffs!

6. Tampa - Regardless of where they finish, should be real fun watching a PP with Stamkos, St Louis and Drouin! Wow. Goaltending will be interesting. Will Bishop win the job? Will Lindback? Or will they platoon the entire year with neither stepping up to claim the spot?

7. Buffalo - Still a few years away from challenging for the playoffs. Need to see Grigorenko make the jump and actually produce. What happens in net?

8. Florida - They obviously picked Barkov for a reason over both Jones and Drouin. Now they/he need to show us all why! Is this kid THAT good? Will he C a line with Huberdeau on the wing? Lots of questions and a lot of youth that will need time to develop. Still a few years away from a serious playoff chase.

Whew.....that's it for my early predictions with really only one bold pick (Mtl to win it).
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro



716 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  05:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Boston - I don't think they should be here with all the changes they got in their roster and because of the fatigue of having a LATE Stanley Cup push and an EARLY start to the season, but I don't see anybody else taking this spot over them. They are here by default.

2. Ottawa - A great mix of offense, youth, speed, coaching and Anderson will show why he's top 5 in the league

3. Toronto - Adding grit on the offense and playing a full season under Carlyle will help. Plus the goaltending tandem will be great for back to back games, which is an area they were absolutly horrible in the past few seasons because of the lack of depth in that position. Kadri and Franson regress but the team stays healthy (I hope)

4. Montréal - They added size with Parros and Murray, Price is one of the best in the league, but they are still young out front and Subban is not that good.

5. Detroit - Being in a division with Boston, Toronto and Ottawa, I think they will be pushed around and banged up from the toughness of those teams, takes time to adjust as well and Howard hits a slump.

6. Florida - Can I say this is my bold prediction? They are not in the bottom two. Young and rebuilding, but yes sometimes it's exactly what a team needs to step away from any pressure, much like Columbus last year. Nobody expects anything from them.

7. Tampa Bay - Buying out Lecavalier was a bad move and I dont think Yzerman was behind it, probably the owners. St-Louis and Stamkos will rip it offensivly again, but then that's it.

8. Buffalo - Traded away their captain (Pominville) will be hard to adjust. Miller will try his best due to the Olympic but his heart is not in Buffalo anymore and Vanek gets traded. It's not a full rebuit yet, but it will be after this season.

I have a question. Isn't it top 3 that makes it for sure and then there's a wildcard position for 7 and 8? So five teams from a division could make the playoffs?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page