Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Team canada predictions? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest4088
( )

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  17:56:24  Reply with Quote
team Canada will release its roster in the next few days.
here is my attempt as gm. I picked the best players who I thought skate well. Havent factured in lines/combos (ie wingers, centres). oh, its just off the top of my head so likely missed a lot of good players.

Crosby-toews-neal
getzlaf-perry-stamkos
Bergeron-Tavares-staal
stlouis-giroux-hall
couture

keith-seabrook
pietrangelo-bouwmeester
weber-doughty
subban

luongo
price
fleury

Thoughts?

Guest4088
( )

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  17:59:29  Reply with Quote
im already having regrets putting hall up there.
thinking of replacing him with either sharp (depends how good a skater he is) or duchenne
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  19:02:34  Reply with Quote
not sure why you would regret Hall. He already uses his breakout speed to fly down the wing (although he is LW not RW) and collect 38 pts in 35 games. On the larger ice I'm sure he would be even better at driving the play. Sure he's not considered a lock but I think any GM that would include him in the roster is far from a fool.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4088
( )

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  09:43:39  Reply with Quote
hall just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct like most of the others.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  10:47:38  Reply with Quote
Killer Instinct?, Do you even watch Taylor Hall?? If he is the driving factor behind the Oiler's. He is the straw the stirs the drink. If your going to debate you should at least know what your talking about..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  10:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Line-up, with prediction of what the lineup actually will include below it. By position:

Luongo
Price
Bernier*

I don't think they'll choose Bernier, will probably go with Mason, maybe Elliot . . . potentially Harding. But I think Bernier is the most fundamentally sound of those three "outsiders", and arguably the hottest of them all. No wrong choices really for the third goalie however, other than Fleury - which I am convinced they are never going to take.

Bouwmeester / Doughty
Keith / Seabrook
Phaneuf / Weber
M. Green*, Pietrangelo

I bet you anything they don't take Mike Green, and instead take Subban. Hopefully Subban doesn't make too much of a commotion when he gets nearly zero playing time . . . thinking they might take Hamhuis as well . . . maybe at the expense of Phaneuf?

Neal / Crosby / Tavares
Giroux / Stamkos / St. Louis
Sharp / Toews / Bergeron
Perry / Getzlaf / Carter
Nash, Thornton

My thinking is go with familiar pairs, we are so damn skilled overall that it's easy to go with familiarity as a key factor. And the "second guy" choices of Neal, St. Louis and Sharp are super easy right now, as all three have played amazing. Especially St. Louis, he hasn't lost one step and looks fantastic. Carter squeaks on as an ultimate role-player . . . he's speedy, great on the pk, awesome skill as well.

I think Yzerman just might agree with me here actually . . . with Carter having the greatest chance not to make this team obviously - could be Eric Staal or Couture instead.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  11:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as much as I like Bergeron, he's having an off year, and I don't think he's going to make it. Sharp fills Bergeron's defensive shoes with way more offensive upside to boot.

I think Carter will make the team - he has too many skills to leave off of it. And I would not be surprised to see Mike Richards make the team along with him, they are a great combo and know each other well.

Goal: Luongo, Price, Fleury

I just don't see them going any other way. Bernier has played well, but if you take him over Fleury, you only have one goalie that has been on an Olympic team before. Too much risk at that position, given that Luongo has not been dominant this year and could lose the starting spot.

Defense: Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Weber, Subban, Hamhuis

Hamhuis has been on the bubble all year, and after a shaky start he has become super reliable again and is even chipping in offensively. They've made a big deal out of the fact that he shoots left on a right shot dominated group, and could get in just because of that. As a dark horse prediction, I actually would like to see them take both Hamhuis and Bieksa, they have been a dominant shutdown pair for the last couple of years, and are very intelligent players.

Forwards: Crosby, Toews, Giroux, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Benn, Carter, Richards, Sharp, Couture

There are so many good players this year, its hard to really have a good idea - past Crosby, Toews, Giroux, Getzlaf, and Perry, there are no shoe-ins (Stamkos would be except for questions around his leg). I think Benn would be an excellent addition, Carter and Richards play well together, Toews and Sharp play well together. Couture should get on, but you never know.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7839
( )

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  11:36:07  Reply with Quote
The problem is you have 9 centers and 3 wingers
Go to Top of Page

Guest7839
( )

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  11:49:12  Reply with Quote
Gents
Crosby toews bergeron stamkos getzlaf tavares staal thornton duschesne and couture are all centers. Crosby toews and bergeron (#1 faceoff man) are in. Who else do you take? Getztlaf? Stamkos? Tavares?

Staal will llay wing like previous times. Can thornton duschesne and tavares play wing? They are top talent and could play anywhere. I would take these fuys over pairings like kunitz anyday
Crosby tavares st louis
Toews duchesne marleau
Bergeron staal thornton
Getzlaf perry nash

Weber. Doughty
Keith. Peitrangelo
Boumeester. Yandle
Subban

Smith luongo price
Go to Top of Page

Guest6751
( )

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  12:27:02  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7839
Crosby tavares st louis
Toews duchesne marleau
Bergeron staal thornton
Getzlaf perry nash

Weber. Doughty
Keith. Peitrangelo
Boumeester. Yandle
Subban

Smith luongo price

How can you criticize Nux's picks of having 9 centres and 3 wings and then name 8 centres yourself?

Plus you left off Stamkos, I'm guessing you think he is injured and won't be able to make it. Then you separate Marleau from Thornton.

It is easy to criticize any choice anyone makes on this team. Canada is so deep at centre that we could name all 16 centres and stll have a crazy team. So you are going to have gluts of centres who going to play wing.

Locks:
Centres. Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf.
Wingers or will be playing wing: Perry, Tavares, Stamkos
Defence: Keith, Seabrook Weber, Doughty.
Goalies: Price, Luongo.

Fill in the rest.
Centres: With only 1 left and considering the glut of firepower I'll go with a pest like Mike Richards.
Wingers: There will be centres playing wing but wingers first. St-Louis, Benn, Nash, Hall, Carter (usually plays wing), EStall.

Reserves: Neal, Bergeron.

I pains me to leave off the Sharks trio, but there are only so many slots. Also I'd like to put Giroux there but his slow start and inability to do anything others on the team already have. Though EStaal is on the bubble and have no issue replacing him. Neal covers off an injured winger if needed. Bergeron steps up to the fourth line shut down centre role if injuries to a centre happens.

Defence: I'll go with JBo, Pietrangelo and Subban (as reserve)
As much as he is playing well and is being razzed for his new contract, Phaneuf lacks the foot speed for the bigger ice.

Goalie: Harding. This is more of a feel good story. He is going but will never see a game.

Feel free to criticize the roster. It has as many issues to it as anyone elses.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6751
( )

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  12:50:45  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6751

Reserves: Neal, Bergeron.

On second thought substitute Sharp for Bergeron. Sharp is having a heck of a season and provides similar capabilities.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  13:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gents
Crosby toews bergeron stamkos getzlaf tavares staal thornton duschesne and couture are all centers. Crosby toews and bergeron (#1 faceoff man) are in. Who else do you take? Getztlaf? Stamkos? Tavares?

Staal will llay wing like previous times. Can thornton duschesne and tavares play wing? They are top talent and could play anywhere. I would take these fuys over pairings like kunitz anyday
Crosby tavares st louis
Toews duchesne marleau
Bergeron staal thornton
Getzlaf perry nash

Weber. Doughty
Keith. Peitrangelo
Boumeester. Yandle
Subban

Smith luongo price

I don't care that you criticized someone for too many centers and then had a bunch yourself, but i have to criticize your pick of Keith Yandle, who has been all over the news about his TEAM USA snub. He's American.....
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  14:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gents

Crosby tavares st louis
Toews duchesne marleau
Bergeron staal thornton
Getzlaf perry nash

Weber. Doughty
Keith. Peitrangelo
Boumeester. Yandle
Subban

Smith luongo price

Many centres can easily adapt to wing, and play wing occasionally for their NHL teams.

My centres (ie, the guys I think will play predominantly at centre) are Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Stamkos. The rest of the forwards either play wing, or are capable at either wing or centre and have played both before. Players like Carter, Richards, Sharp, Giroux are all highly versatile forwards that can effectively score at wing, but also provide added abilities to take faceoffs, PK, and are highly responsible defensively.

It does not hurt to have wingers that are also centremen, as they can fill in if a centre gets hurt, or provide 2 centres on the ice in case of faceoff violations. They are also generally better defensively than pure forwards.

Yandle is American.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  20:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another guy that surely must be getting a lot of attention as a bubble player - Tyler Seguin. He's been hugely successful in DAL, he and Benn have formed a very strong top line there. He's currently near PPG and is doing everything for them. The only knocks - he doesn't PK, and he's a centre that is not top-4 in the NHL at his position.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9825
( )

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  20:45:16  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

another guy that surely must be getting a lot of attention as a bubble player - Tyler Seguin. He's been hugely successful in DAL, he and Benn have formed a very strong top line there. He's currently near PPG and is doing everything for them. The only knocks - he doesn't PK, and he's a centre that is not top-4 in the NHL at his position.

The Seguin on the wing experiment didn't go so well in BOS. He won't make it as a centre.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4088
( )

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  22:08:03  Reply with Quote
re : taylor hall lack of killer instinct

he may be the straw that stirs the oilers drink, BUT the oilers drink is FLAT and has been for years. He definitely lacks killer insticnct, evidence by has never played in a playoff game so can you really say he will be clutch in a loser go home elimination game?
The majority of other guys on the list are either Stanley cup winners (Crosby, Bergeron, toews, getzlaf, perry, staal, st Louis) or have gone on deep playoff runs(Giroux, stamkos, neal) or are much better players than hall (Tavares) or better rounded players (couture).
Although hall may be quick and the best of the worst on the oilers, I don't think he is gold medal worthy.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  22:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4088
The majority of other guys on the list are either Stanley cup winners (Crosby, Bergeron, toews, getzlaf, perry, staal, st Louis) or have gone on deep playoff runs(Giroux, stamkos, neal) or are much better players than hall (Tavares) or better rounded players (couture).

I like the fact that Canada can field a team of very well rounded players, but one thing they don't have (or have not considered heavily) in abundance is the pure scoring winger. Currently, the only player that fits that bill is Perry. It would not hurt Canada to have another pure scoring winger, and Hall certainly is one. I'd like to see him make the team, the powerful centres on the team would benefit from someone with his skills to dish the puck to.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  03:32:42  Reply with Quote
Taylor Hall, back to back memorial cup champion in 2009 & 2010. Named MVP both years. Gold Medal in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial 2008 Slovakia. Gold IIhf world u18 2008 Russia. Gold world u17 hockey challenge 2008 Canada. Hmmm 3 Gold medals in one year... Ya your right he's not gold medal worthy... Pffft
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  08:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

I like the fact that Canada can field a team of very well rounded players, but one thing they don't have (or have not considered heavily) in abundance is the pure scoring winger. Currently, the only player that fits that bill is Perry. It would not hurt Canada to have another pure scoring winger, and Hall certainly is one. I'd like to see him make the team, the powerful centres on the team would benefit from someone with his skills to dish the puck to.

Giroux, and potentially Stamkos, will likely play wing. Tonnes of scoring skill there. In fact there's scoring up and down the lineup . . . along with extremely good defensive forwards thrown in.

I'm not against Hall being on the team . . . but I don't see it with many centres being moved to wing in Canada's current situation. Myself, I had an extremely difficult time with it, having to leave off Marleau and Thornton, and I am thinking now maybe they should be on. Thornton has been on fire this year as well. And I'd rather have both of them than Hall . . . bring so much more to the table.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  10:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have 4 regular linemates with chemistry fill out 2 positions on the 4 lines and I have 3 natural wingers as locks to rotate thru the lineup like St Louis, Nash and Hall. I think Toews and Stamkos can make the move to wing or sub as a center if needed

Crosby, Neal
Thorton, Marleau
Getzlaf, Perry
Richards, Carter

I am not going to pretend who is going to play on which line, because I think that will change on the fly like the last Olympics.

Defense is pretty easy in the top 6

Doughty and Weber
Keith and Seabrook
Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester

With Subban as the 7th, or a good hard look at Hamhuis if they feel the need to up the defensive element.

Goal should be

Loungo, Price and Fleury, but the 3rd goaltender might be Harding, Bernier or Smith and I am ok with any of those in place of Fleury.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/03/2014 10:13:32
Go to Top of Page

Guest4088
( )

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  10:19:38  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize hall won so many insignificant junior tournaments (insert sarcasm here). should alexander daigle be considered for the team then???
Last I checked it was a mens tournament so you can check your junior stats at the door. Hall is not a winner at the pro level and yzerman will go with experienced wingers like stlouis, perry, nash, staal over hall.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  11:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't realize hall won so many insignificant junior tournaments (insert sarcasm here). should alexander daigle be considered for the team then???
Last I checked it was a mens tournament so you can check your junior stats at the door. Hall is not a winner at the pro level and yzerman will go with experienced wingers like stlouis, perry, nash, staal over hall.

A team takes 8 wingers to the Olympics. Lots of room for Nash on team Canada. Hall now is probably in the top 5 for natural wingers and should be considered. Knock his Junior achievements all you want, he will continue to suit up for the world championship's and medal, while the rest of the Oilers sit at home watching the games.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5052
( )

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  11:36:17  Reply with Quote
Crosby Tavares Neal
Toews Couture Giroux
Getzlaf Perry Nash
Bergeron Couture Hall
Sharp

Keith Seabrook
Doughty Webber
Pietreangelo Bouwmeester
Subban Hamius

Price Luongo Smith
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  11:38:00  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go ahead and keep trying to bash Hall, It was you who originally selected him. I simply have stated the facts. Speaking of facts I found a picture of you ...> , no need for sarcasm. We all know your a clown!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8969
( )

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  13:17:00  Reply with Quote
Taylor Hall is good but not an Olympic player, guy couldn't even play in the World Championships, got benched. No chance he makes this team. 0%. He's a thoroughbred without a brain.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4088
( )

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  13:49:02  Reply with Quote
I had hall on there initially cuz hes a speedy winger, but seeing his name amongst the others just didn't fit. like a boy among men. I agree good player, but not good enough to make the team.
I don't see thornton and marleau making the team either. they are both regular season players (ie not top dogs in the playoffs) and in general their career is more downtrending than uptrending.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  14:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby - Stamkos *if healthy - St-Louis
Getzlaf - Perry - Giroux
Toews - Sharp - Tavares
Bergeron - E.Staal - Duchene
Carter

I put in bold the ones that I think are fondamentals. Would also be happy with Neal, M. Richards, Couture or Hall to make it.

Weber - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Bouwmeester
Hamhuis

I would also be happy with Letang or Subban for pp specialist, but not sure if we need them when we have Weber, Keith, Doughty and Pietrangelo.

Luongo - Price - Fleury

I would not mind if they gave experience to another young goalie like Bernier, although Fleury is fairly young.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  00:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, let's give this a shot....

Goalies
Price, Luongo, Smith

Price and Luongo are "locks" imo, and Smith will prob just edge out the rest. I kinda wonder if they pass on Harding just in case his medical problem flares up at an inopportune time? Sad, but it's reality. Also, I don't find it as far fetched that a 3rd goalie may have to play at some point. Yes, it's a short tournament, but all it would take is one injury and a poor outing or two from the #2 to possibly see the "guy along for the ride" to get a shot. Personally, I like the fact Bernier has seen a ton of rubber and performed quite well. Combine that with his age, and I'd prob go with him.

Defensemen
Weber / Doughty
Keith / Seabrook
Pietrangelo / Boumeester
Subban / Hamhuis

With these, I'm sticking with my prediction from earlier this year as none has done anything to play their way off the team imo. Subban is the wildcard here. The reigning Norris Trophy winner is very dynamic offensively, but will he be trusted enough to get a chance to play a somewhat regular shift? He could very well be in Seabrook's role from 2010 where he is protected to some degree. Obviously he'd see some PP time. Then again, he may not even make it. I'm taking Hamhuis over Letang and Vlasic as I think Letang's struggles this year have ruled him out and in a coin toss between Hamhuis and Vlasic, I'm admittedly going with the one I see more regularly. Hamhuis could easily slip into the lineup and play a strong defensive game, as well as chipping in where needed at the other end of the rink. He also has a fair bit of experience on the large ice.

Forwards
St Louis / Crosby / Stamkos
Sharp / Toews / Giroux
Tavares / Getzlaf / Perry
Hall / Bergeron / Duchene
Nash / Staal

The forwards are sooooo difficult to predict. I've left off some guys who've been there before (Marleau, Thornton, Richards) as well as some who prob deserve a shot but it's prob just not quite their time (Seguin, Benn). I've left off Neal even though he's a Crosby team mate, along with Kunitz who I just don't see making it. Obviously I've gone with some familiarity in St Louis / Stamkos, Sharp / Toews and Getzlaf / Perry. Bergeron's not had the greatest first half, but I think it's clear what he brings in other areas and he played a big role in 2010. Giroux, with a really slow start (7pts in first 15 games), has been on fire lately and actually has 37 points in 41 games. Not bad, almost a PPG pace, after such a slow start. He recently had 17pts in a 9 game stretch. I think he's ready, he's versatile, speedy and will be very effective in Sochi. I don't think Nash should be there, but chose him over Neal as one of the extra forwards who could fill in if Stamkos isn't ready. Patrick Sharp and Toews have played a lot together this year and with his hat trick tonight, now sits alone in 2nd behind Ovechkin in the goal scoring race! He's a very under rated guy and I can't see him not being on this squad at this point. I think they go with Hall as a natural winger with speed. Also read somewhere that his "even strength PPG" number is very high. He doesn't just rely on PP's to put up numbers.

I could go on, but I think that's enough. One thing I must say though while making this list is that it shows you why the Blackhawks are so freakin' good! Toews, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook all should make Canada's team. Crawford is in the running for the 3rd spot in goal you'd figure? Throw in Kane and Hossa playing for their countries and Brandon Saad who barely missed making team USA and you begin to see why this team is so good! That's a lot of their team playing in this tournament and I could be missing one or two others who I can't think of off the top of my head?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  09:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my team but this will not be the team,

Price
Harding
Bernier

Forget Luongo you have to go with the hot hand and those 3 are the best 3 Canadian Goalies this season

Weaber-Subban
Keith-Seabrook
Bowmeester-Pietralangelo
Doughty

Crosby Stamkos Nash
Toews Sharp Tavares
Geztalf Perry E.Staal
Thornton Laad Benn
Giroux

if i were makeing team Canada this is how they would line up

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  11:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

my team but this will not be the team,

Price
Harding
Bernier

Forget Luongo you have to go with the hot hand and those 3 are the best 3 Canadian Goalies this season

Weaber-Subban
Keith-Seabrook
Bowmeester-Pietralangelo
Doughty

Crosby Stamkos Nash
Toews Sharp Tavares
Geztalf Perry E.Staal
Thornton Laad Benn
Giroux

if i were makeing team Canada this is how they would line up

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

Pasty, FYI, Luongo and Price's numbers are very similar this year and Luongo is playing in the FAR more difficult western conference. To not select Luongo as one of the 3 is ludicrous imo taking into consideration not just 2010, but the fact that he's been one of the best Canadian goalies for many years! I get the whole "go with the hot hand", but judging by your picks, you're only using that criteria for the goalies because Rick Nash hasn't had a "hot hand" for quite some time!!!

ETA....if you're going with the hot hand in net, shouldn't Cam Talbot and Martin Jones be there?

Edited by - Alex116 on 01/04/2014 12:14:36
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  12:02:59  Reply with Quote
Assuming Stamkos is injured still..

Neal - Crosby - Tavares
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
Lucic - Bergeron - Staal
Benn - Richards

Weber - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Vlasic - Peitrangelo
Subban - Bouwmeester

Luongo - Price - Smith
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  18:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a lot of fan support for Brent Seabrook. He's been on virtually every fan projected roster I've read online, yet he's rarely included on the ones assembled by the "experts".
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  21:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

There seems to be a lot of fan support for Brent Seabrook. He's been on virtually every fan projected roster I've read online, yet he's rarely included on the ones assembled by the "experts".

I think this is partially due to his playing relationship with Duncan Keith, who is having arguably the best year of his career and, who is likely the Norris favorite at the present time.

Anyway, it looks like that thinking may be "off"? I just finished watching TSN's panel discuss the likely selections and Seabrook didn't quite make the cut. KEEP IN MIND, the following are the players THEY THINK will be named, not who they would pick themselves. This is Bob Mackenzie and Co who you have to figure have "some" inside info? Well, surely more than any of us? Here's their predictions, and keep in mind, lines and pairings are not in place here, just simply listing guys by position (R / L dmen and positional forwards except for dual role C's?)...........

Goal - Price / Luongo / Smith

Defense........
D. Keith (L).......................D. Doughty (R)
J. Bouwmeester (L)..........Shea Weber (R)
M.E. Vlasic (L)..................A. Pietrangelo (R)
D. Boyle (R)......................PK Subban (R)

Forwards.......
L. Couture................S. Crosby...............S. Stamkos
J. Benn....................J. Toews.................C. Perry
M. Duchene.............R. Getzlaf...............C. Giroux
P. Sharp...................J. Tavares..............R. Nash
.................................P. Bergeron............M. St. Louis

Guys who they consider "on the bubble" and would be the ones to step into any spots where their predictions are wrong....

C - E. Staal
LW - C. Kunitz
LW - P. Marleau
RW - J. Carter

LD - M. Giordano
LD - D. Hamhuis
LD - M. Staal
RD - B. Seabrook

Not sure why Seabrook would be listed at this point? If they consider D. Boyle to play the opposite side, wouldn't he be the first one to slot in if they decided they wanted another guy playing on the right?

A little surprised that J. Neal has gotten very little love throughout the selection process. On another note, I'd say the most notable omission here is J. Thornton as he leads the NHL in assists at the moment!!! As far as forwards go, I had the same guys except for 2. I had Staal and Hall making it and they have Couture and Benn. We'll know for sure on Tuesday morning!

Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  22:28:23  Reply with Quote
To me Seabrook is a must. Why? The man has 2 Cup's in 4 years is an obvious start. How many times has he came through clutch in the pressure of the playoffs not just with an assist but with goals too. When Chicago looked defeated and Toews was frustrated (last years playoffs) who went over to the bench and got his captain back in the game? Seabrook doesn't only bring a playing relationship with Kieth & Top-Skill to Canada. He brings leadership, character, poise, truculence or whatever else a GM states is needed for winning...
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  22:31:13  Reply with Quote
Also Yzerman was at the Oil vs Bolts game tonight. No doubt watching St. Louis & Hall but also Eberle..
Go to Top of Page

Guest2705
( )

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  02:49:28  Reply with Quote
why does everyone have Nash on there list, he's sucking this year, no way he makes the team
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  09:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2705

why does everyone have Nash on there list, he's sucking this year, no way he makes the team

He's only on my list because I was predicting who I thought the selection committee would be picking, not who I personally would choose. I just think they will take him with his experience, skating, big body, etc. Just a hunch.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  09:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2705

Make your own list then, smart guy!

Go to Top of Page

Maverick9
Top Prospect

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  15:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how I see the Canadian roster filling out tomorrow

Duchene-Crosby-Stamkos
Sharp-Tavares-Giroux
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
M. Richards-Toews-Bergeron
Benn-Couture

Keith-Doughty
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Vlasic-Weber
Hamhuis-Seabrook

Luongo-Price-Smith

Really against St. Louis making the team, I think he may get eaten up in the defensive zone against Olympic caliber players.
Same reasoning for Subban as well, can't see Canada bothering with his offensive game when his defensive game is so spotty. Plus, Keith is the go to offensive guy on this team not Subban. Also, Doughty, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, and Weber are all capable of chipping in without the shakiness of Subban

Edited by - Maverick9 on 01/06/2014 15:44:45
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  18:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Revised list:

Heard today that Tavares is getting a long look. He has played in a winger capacity on the world stage and is having a great year. St Louis, Nash (Nash might be the weakest of the natural wingers here) and Hall. With I think Toews and Tavares or Stamkos (if healthy) for time between the wing and center if an injury replacement is needed. I still feel Marleau and Thornton need to be on this list as dominant as they have played this year and for many years. They play for one of the few teams strong enough to go toe to toe in a head to head with Pittsburg/Chicago/Anaheim/LA/Boston. To me those 2 are just to good to leave off Team Canada. I have them slotted ahead of Getzlaf and Perry, who I have almost as much respect for, but behind Crosby and Neal. Richards and Carter have so much grit and chemistry they need to play together as well and will do well as a checking line that can score just like Getzlaf and Perry.

Crosby Neal
Thorton Marleau
Getzlaf Perry
Richards Carter

St Louis, Hall, Toews, Tavares or Stamkos if healthy or Nash

Weber Doughty
Keith Seabrook
Pietrangelo Bouwmeester
Subban and Hamhuis or Boyle as the Alternate

Loungo, Price and Fleury or Smith or Bernier or Harding. I don't really care which 3rd goalie gets picked because either would be fine and I don't think the 3rd goalie will be the difference between a medal or no medal. Much is being made out of Canada's goalie selection, but to be honest any and all of these goalies are playing strong enough and also based on the remainder of the roster Canada will ice. I really think the difference will be made in how they select the bottom 6 role playing forwards. If they go with grit and chemistry, but with the ability to score, all is well.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/06/2014 18:12:31
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  19:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua, Tavares will be on the team, that's never been questioned. Also while I believe Rick Nash will indeed be on the team, I personally would have went with James Neal. Nash had a great game tonight for the Rangers, so lets hope that's a sign of things to come for both the Rangers and Team Canada. He brings a lot to the table when he's on his game, and he was one of Canada's best players at the 2010 Olympic Games. Yzerman and co can't really go,wrong with any of the names that are beng thrown out there for the last few forward spots.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page