Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 should the Leafs trade Kessel? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  07:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the Leaf fans, please note I am not blameing anything on Kessel, this isn`t a bash Kessel topic! Infact its more that he is an elite talent and the return could be phenominal.

I understand its tough to even consider trading a guy who has been top 5 in points for the last what 4 or 5 years, but think of the return?

I just find each year the Leafs make a few tweaks go get a free agent and each year the result is almost identical.

For example the return for Kessel would at least be 2 1rst round picks and roster player, with this years deep draft coming up could it be the perferct time for a quick rebuild.

for example imagin tradeing Kessel to Philly for say 2 1rst and Sean Coutrier, The leafs would have potentially 2 top 10 picks this offseason in a very vey deep draft, and even potentially a top 5 pick. Plus they get a young big center with a lot of upside, and philly can throw out Kessel Giroux and Voracek and scare the crap outta opposing goalies

Im not saying Kessel is the problem but his value could make him the solution, trade Kessel and trade a few other players and make a quick rebuild and the leafs could be a totally different looking team by 2017

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  08:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing Pasty that you were just using Philly as an example, however I don't see Philly as a destination myself? I haven't checked their cap space but I'm guessing that only a certain number of teams could fit a guy like Kessel and I'm guessing he has a NTC or at least a limited NTC and could have a say in which of these teams could even land him?

I do agree that the Leafs should consider dealing him if the right deal is there, but then again, you could say that about any player! Will be interesting to watch what happens with this current Leaf team as we move towards the deadline as they are not completely out of the playoff race, but they aren't far from realistically being so.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  11:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to say San Jose who have parts and pieces to compliment Kessel's game. I mentioned last year when there were rumours or Thorton, Marleau being shopped around because San Jose was looking to make a culture change to get them over the post season hump. Toronto would love to have either of them. Question would be is would San Jose part with either and would Kessel be of full value. It far enough away neither party would have that worry the trade player would come back with a vengeance.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  15:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes philly was an example that came to mind, but meerly an example

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  18:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were to trade kessel , the returning player would be much younger than either Thornton or Marleau , that's for sure. Leafs need a young center with MUCH upside for kessel
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  20:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the rerturn is high enough, why not? I've always said that about the Oilers and Hall.

If a team can get multiple pieces they need to be competitive, mupltiple pieces can go a long way over ONE piece, especially when he is viewed as "one-dimensional".

While you guys are at it, trade Phaneuf. You trade those two clowns, you will have a much happier team.

Who am I but a lowly sad Oiler fan. At this point, I say anything is possible for our depressed teams.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  07:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My answer is YES, emphatically.

SO many reasons to go into, but the big thing is, the timing is PERFECT for it this year. And, to do it exactly the way you describe Pasty is the way I'd do it.

A deadline deal will get you less. Wait until season end, do it at the draft . . . get at least a top 5 1st rounder this year + whatever. You may have to factor in though that because of Kessel's salary and term . . . you'd be taking on some salary coming back in some way, you'd have to. So in your Philly example (probably never happening, but let's use it), you may need to take back a MacDonald, or if you could get Streit then you're sailing (I doubt it).

I think the Leafs would look to deal a Kessel to the West first . . . and if not a team like Nashville, then maybe an Arizona, Dallas is a possibility, and of course Colorado is also possible (especially with the O'Reilly rumours, etc).

But feel free to bash Kessel, I don't mind it. I want him gone.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  09:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure i read somewhere that Kessel has a limited NTC so that factors in as well! Limited is good for the Leafs compared to full of course. Just look at how Kesler jeld the Canucks hostage in his trade demands!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  09:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/34057/rumblings-phil-kessel-would-be-easy-sell-for-maple-leafs

It looks like a few teams have already made calls regarding Kessel. Not surprised, but based on this article it looks like they may wait till the seasons end to open up the number of teams they can trade him to.

In the article its pretty clear Kessel is still a hot commodity, which is why I don't understand the hate on him by Toronto fans. To quote " this guy can score in this league and that's hard to come by right now"
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  09:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Kessel can be traded at the All Star Game, Toronto outta follow suit. Funny that the trade was for Seguin. Irony, love it.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  14:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

If Kessel can be traded at the All Star Game, Toronto outta follow suit. Funny that the trade was for Seguin. Irony, love it.

The trade at the all star game was funny, yes, but not ironic whatsoever! It's obvious that the trade was the whole reason for it to begin with! Nice to see these guys in this sort of situation and how they can be buddy/buddy and joke around with each other without it becoming a "respect" issue like playoff battles do!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page