Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Dynamic Duos Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  08:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to an article about the 5 best "dynamic duos" in NHL history. Personally I think a couple of the honorable mentions were just as good as those listed among the top five, maybe even better than some of them.

http://thehockeywriters.com/5-of-the-greatest-dynamic-duos-in-nhl-history/

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  19:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that the article was quite terrible, sorry.

Dynamic DUOS . . . that means, or at least very much implies, two guys who played very regularly with each other, who both excelled.

Putting a centre and a defenceman together . . . didn't seem right. Nor did putting together guys who only played on the pp together basically, as Forsberg and Sakic mostly did, and certainly Gretzky and Messier did. And they obviously left out a TONNE of the greats! And actually, they didn't even mention what I think was the #1 duo of all-time . . . so for what it's worth from this peanut gallery, here are my most Dynamic Duos:

Gretzky / Kurri
They have to be #1, because of two reasons - the #1 statistical player ever, and, they were a constant duo for such a long period of time. Kurri was a top 5 player in the league besides Gretzky, and the two were unstoppable in Edmonton in those glory days.

Bret Hull / Adam Oates
"Hull and Oates" they were called (for the young, it's a reference to singers/songwriters Hall and Otes btw) and they just clicked instantly. Oates was the premier passer, Hull the shooter, and it didn't matter that you knew that, they'd burn you every time. They were rarely alone when appearing on the scoresheet, it was always: Hull (Oates, lucky bum) .

Lemieux / Jagr
I put them at #3, because for stretches, they were separated . . . but together, they were amazing. Both would be MVPs of the league at different times, and they were dominant as a pair when together.

The Sedin Twins
You can't get MORE duo than this, folks . . . and sometimes, I think their 'oddness' covers up or obfuscates their real greatness and utter special quality in all of sports. Twin brothers who play together, one who has been an MVP, the other who has been a consistent top ten player. Always playing together, FROM CHILDHOOD. It's an amazing story, and they will go down in history as the longest, most prolific scoring duo in history, for sure.

Niedermeyer / Stevens
I have to put a defensive duo in here, and there was none better than these two. Both in their prime when paired, it was an offensive, defensively superior guy in Niedermeyer who played with the scariest checker in the league, who could also play offense when needed in Stevens. They could shut you down, beat you up, and hem you in your zone and get you the goal you needed. There have been better individual defencemen, but never a better pair IMHO.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  10:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd add Federov and Yzerman to you list, although when Federov played center they rarely were on the same line, once moved to defense though Federov played almost half the game and was stellar at both ends of the ice. Yzerman being in the conversation for top 5 for offensive forwards and one of, if not the best 2way forwards of his time.

Just thought I'd point out when the history books look back at the dynasties and the players that played for Multiple Cup winners, most look past the Flames out of the 80-90's. I'd wager some form from the group of Roberts, Gilmore or Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Suter, Mullen, Fleury, Hull etc wouldn't look out of place in the top ten.

The 2, I'd put together, if we are talking linemates would be Roberts and Nieuwendyk, only because of the group they played together the longest. Gary could score and hurt you physically, while Nieuwendyk was comparable to Yzerman in 2 way quality and could score at a pretty good pace as well.

If you put defensive pairings in the conversation, as I like your Neidermeyer-Stevens pairing, I would put the MacInnis-Pronger pairing up there as well. When they were part of the Blue's was one of the best defensive pairings I can remember of all time. They were IMO, better than the Seabrook-Keith pairing is now
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  05:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I'd add Federov and Yzerman to you list, although when Federov played center they rarely were on the same line, once moved to defense though Federov played almost half the game and was stellar at both ends of the ice. Yzerman being in the conversation for top 5 for offensive forwards and one of, if not the best 2way forwards of his time.

Just thought I'd point out when the history books look back at the dynasties and the players that played for Multiple Cup winners, most look past the Flames out of the 80-90's. I'd wager some form from the group of Roberts, Gilmore or Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Suter, Mullen, Fleury, Hull etc wouldn't look out of place in the top ten.

The 2, I'd put together, if we are talking linemates would be Roberts and Nieuwendyk, only because of the group they played together the longest. Gary could score and hurt you physically, while Nieuwendyk was comparable to Yzerman in 2 way quality and could score at a pretty good pace as well.

If you put defensive pairings in the conversation, as I like your Neidermeyer-Stevens pairing, I would put the MacInnis-Pronger pairing up there as well. When they were part of the Blue's was one of the best defensive pairings I can remember of all time. They were IMO, better than the Seabrook-Keith pairing is now

I fondly remember MacInnis / Pronger, and totally agree. They'd be in my top ten.

And you're probably right about the Flames guys . . . Nieuwendyk and Roberts were awesome together, and they even had a year or so to get reunited on the Leafs during a couple of their runs in the early 90s.

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  09:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just because i can i'm gonna throw in a Leaf bias here.
albeit only for 2 seasons the Gilmour-Andreychuk duo was quite strong in the '92-'93 and '93-'94 seasons. Gilmour with back-to-back 100+ pt seasons, and Andreychuk with back-to-back 50 goal seasons.

also gonna throw in Lindros-LeClair from Philly, and from more recent memory Stamkos-St. Louis in Tampa.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  06:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally forgot about the Legion of Doom! For sure, Lindros+Leclair are a top ten-ish duo. Good ones!

Loved Gilmour and Andy of course...a great duo for sure. Stamkos and St Louis were awesome too...they really should be a top ten duo as well.

Hard to rank all these guys!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page