Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Season's biggest surprise Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  07:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What do you think was the biggest surprise for the 14-15 season.

Choices:

Ottawa, Winnipeg and Calgary making it to the playoffs
Boston and Los Angeles out of the playoffs
Jamie Benn winning the Art Ross trophy
other

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  09:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No brainer for me. Benn winning the Art Ross is far and away the biggest surprise. Surprising enough the way he did it, with a 4pt night on the final night inc the clinching assist with just 9 seconds left, AFTER he'd scored into an empty net, all with Tyler Seguin scratched from the lineup for being late to practice. If that wasnt enough, he prob wouldn't have won it had Seguin not gotten hurt last month and missed enough games to prob cost himself the trophy!

Don't think many people pegged Benn to lead the league in points and in fact most prob didn't pick him to lead his own team!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  20:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

No brainer for me. Benn winning the Art Ross is far and away the biggest surprise. Surprising enough the way he did it, with a 4pt night on the final night inc the clinching assist with just 9 seconds left, AFTER he'd scored into an empty net, all with Tyler Seguin scratched from the lineup for being late to practice. If that wasnt enough, he prob wouldn't have won it had Seguin not gotten hurt last month and missed enough games to prob cost himself the trophy!

Don't think many people pegged Benn to lead the league in points and in fact most prob didn't pick him to lead his own team!

I pick Benn too. While a prolific scorer in general, I never expected he'd rack up enough to get the overall lead.

I also think he is the first player since Iginla in 2002/03 to win the Art Ross despite the team missing the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  06:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked Benn. No idea why he's behind in the poll though.

Listen, it was an incredibly surprising season all around, and the fact that ANYTHING can compete with how surprising it is for Calgary to make the playoffs is . . . well, it's amazing! No one had Calgary in the playoffs, not even close. No one.

And with Ottawa and Winnipeg . . . each were predicted as having an absolutely slim chance, a real dark horse to make the playoffs.

And . . . we know how tough the West is, so LA missing would have been surprising to imagine back in October, but not totally shocking. Boston, same thing, although that was probably a bit more surprising to me than LA (because of the weaker East, I thought).

But not only was it surprising that Benn even had a remote outside CHANCE at the Art Ross on the last day . . . the way it happened, was nothing short of astounding. With Crosby and Tavares ahead of Benn, and especially with Crosby playing BUFFALO . . . you'd have thought it was going to be between those two players. Instead, Crosby throws up a donut (saving himself for the playoffs, I guess?) and Tavares had his usual solid game, getting a goal and assist.

And then Benn did the unthinkable . . . he scored two goals in the first period against the Preds, a team trying to jostle itself still in the standings for a home-ice advantage, and a very good road team. Then, in the third period, in the last 3 or 4 minutes, he scores his hat trick goal (to tie Tavares in points), and then sets up his teammate Cody Eakin at 19:51 of the third period for the trophy winning point, basically in the last seconds of the entire hockey season.

THAT, I believe, is unprecedented. In the modern era at least . . . has any player who was not thought to be a contender for the Art Ross . . . an unheralded star . . . beat out two of the top three MVP candidates not only on the last day, but the last minutes of the season?!?

So yeah, for me, it's Benn. Absolutely . . . unthinkable. IT's not just the 4 point night against a good team to win it . . . it's that he beat Crosby and Tavares who were ahead of him. THAT is just amazing.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  11:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
......and now we find out he did it on a "wonky" hip all season???

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=763093

I still think the most amazing part was he needed 2 points with just 2:05 left in the game! The empty netter he got for his hat trick and 3rd point looked to be an outlet pass that somehow Seth Jones "whiffed" on at center and it slid all the way into the open net. But then to still have to get another point, and do so with 8.5 left on the clock??? Again, all without Seguin??? Crazy!

Having said that, it's fair to say that Jiri Hudler being in the top 10 in scoring (tied for 8th) may be as big of a surprise!

T'was a strange season!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  18:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went with the Canadian teams making the playoffs. Every single poster thought this year Calgary and Ottawa would be duking it out in the basement for the 1st pick and Winnipeg finally getting a round in the playoffs was long overdue. No chance anyone said all three.

Hudler has been a good player for a while, but never really given top line minutes before, had he with Detroit he would have come close to this amount before. With Calgary's forwards last year having such a good year its not really, really surprising to see him at 76 points in a season, but he definitely elevated his play.

Bean was being talked about in the offseason as one of the most underated players, and with Sequin as his linemate they were being billed as one of the top lines in the NHL before the season. The only surprise is the fact he did it with Sequin not around for a good portion of the season.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  19:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I went with the Canadian teams making the playoffs. Every single poster thought this year Calgary and Ottawa would be duking it out in the basement for the 1st pick and Winnipeg finally getting a round in the playoffs was long overdue. No chance anyone said all three.

Hudler has been a good player for a while, but never really given top line minutes before, had he with Detroit he would have come close to this amount before. With Calgary's forwards last year having such a good year its not really, really surprising to see him at 76 points in a season, but he definitely elevated his play.

Bean was being talked about in the offseason as one of the most underated players, and with Sequin as his linemate they were being billed as one of the top lines in the NHL before the season. The only surprise is the fact he did it with Sequin not around for a good portion of the season.

Joshua.....what you say is fair to some degree, as i can't argue that no one predicted those teams all make it in. But, and this is a HUGE but, i think its fair to say that if there was a poll prior to the season asking who the Art Ross winner would be and it included the likes of Stamkos, Crosby, OV, Malkin Seguin and Benn, that Benn would have garnered ZERO votes! Like i said earlier, if anyone even considered the chemistry between he and Seguin, it's Seguin who'd have gotten the consideration!

I know this much, if you asked me before the season which of these scenarios was less likely, the teams mentioned making the playoffs or Benn winning the scoring title, it wouldn't have taken me more than half a second to respond with "there is NO WAY Benn wins the Art Ross!". Again, part of what makes it absurd is Seguin, the guy who he'd need to even come close, not only would be more likely a winner, but would be needed to get him there and was hurt!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  23:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All worthy of consideration and easy to debate after the fact .
Let's twist this around a little bit.....What about if someone said to u before the season started...
1 of 3 of these scenarios WILL happen this season. please select 1 scnario which will NEVER , no way happen, it's impossible !!!!
If you wrongly select the one which IS going to happen ....
You LOSE ur house. #128563;
So remember , ur looking for the safest one to save ur house #128556;
I know what I'd pick...
LA and BOS both missing the playoffs
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  03:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Benn, but had a hard time deciding between him & LA/Boston missing the playoffs.

I expected Winnipeg to make the playoffs this year. With the Senators, I expected them to be competitive this season, and back in October I wouldn't of thought it was a stretch for them to be battling for a playoff spot in April. The shocking part of their run was that they fell so far behind midseason, yet were able to play lights out down the stretch & make up all those points. As for Calgary, I definitely didn't have them in my top 8 in the West back in the preseason.

LA/Boston, wow! Boston won the presidents trophy last season with 117 points, and were a +84 in goal differential!! And Los Angeles obviously won the Stanley Cup. For both to miss the playoffs a year later is shocking. Boston is the bigger surprise for me out of the two.

Jamie Benn, crazy! I went to be Saturday night thinking John Tavares won the Art Ross Trophy. I didn't realize Benn won until watching Sports Centre the next day. I figured Tyler Seguin would challenge for the Ross this season (he actually had a better PPG then Benn), but never could I have predicted that Benn would win it!

Jamie Benn won the Art Ross without leading the league in scoring 1 single day the entire season. Has that ever happened before?? I'm guessing probably not?
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  05:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another huge surprise for me this year was Nick Foligno finishing in the top 10 in scoring!!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  07:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not only is Jamie Benn the biggest surprise, winning the scoring title... but he did it by beating TAVARES out on the final night of the season. Who would have thought that Tavares have been tops going into the final night of the season? In a league with Crosby, Malkin, and a healthy OV scoring 50 goals, its unfathomable that one of them were not in the top-2 in scoring this season.

Further to ryan93's post, I was happy to see Daniel Sedin in the top-10, and Henrik close behind in 13th. Daniel is the oldest player in the top-10 this year, and by a fair margin too. Great bounce back season for both of them, and perhaps not as washed up as some here thought last year

Edited by - nuxfan on 04/14/2015 07:55:58
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  05:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe not THE biggest surprise, but it has to be up there: the scoring title was won with only 87 pts. 87 PTS!!!!

it was only a short time ago that guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Stamkos, etc. could get 87 pts in their sleep. what the heck happened this year???
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  11:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

All worthy of consideration and easy to debate after the fact .
Let's twist this around a little bit.....What about if someone said to u before the season started...
1 of 3 of these scenarios WILL happen this season. please select 1 scnario which will NEVER , no way happen, it's impossible !!!!
If you wrongly select the one which IS going to happen ....
You LOSE ur house. #128563;
So remember , ur looking for the safest one to save ur house #128556;
I know what I'd pick...
LA and BOS both missing the playoffs

You would have lost your house.

And . . . your family would be very upset!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page