Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 New Leafs GM - Lamoriello Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  09:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arguably the most shocking news thus far in the off season: Lou Lamoriello has stepped down as President of the NJ Devils, and in turn has been hired as the new GM of the Leafs.

Let's hear everyone's thoughts.

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  09:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its a great move for Toronto. they get a guy with tons of experience, success, and one who's well known around the league. he built the Devils into a cup champion, so he knows what a re-build is all about.
plus, he can not only serve as a great GM in the present time, but can also help mentor guys like Hunter and Dubas to potentially take over for him when he retires.

excellent hire by Shanahan and the rest of MLSE.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  10:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't see this coming, but think it was a great hire and an absolute steal for Toronto to hire him. One of the most respected GM's in hockey. Toronto now looks on paper to have a very strong organization. All credit to Shanahan here, he has now got rid of most of the cancer in the dressing room, most of the overpaid players or difficult contract players, stocked the organization with draft picks, secured the best coach and GM available.

The only pieces left to deal with is the decisions about what to do with Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak, Kadri and Bernier. For the record I think they need to keep Phaneuf, but give him less work. I think they need to see if Bozak can succeed without Kessel to at least get his value up enough for a decent return come trade deadline next year. I hope for a healthy season for Lupul, but this is the most difficult of the remaining contracts. Kadri has already agreed on a 1 year bridge contract with a chance for him to redeem himself for next year or be trade bait come the trade deadline, so the only real pressing issue is signing or replacing Bernier. I hope they sign him for the record.

Not a bad summer for Toronto.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  14:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to be that guy but I don't see this as such a great move by the Leafs. Lou Lamoriello is one of my favourite GM's of all time and part of what I love about him is he breaks the mold as a 'non-hockey' guy who really knows a ton about the game. But I have to ask, when was the last time that Lamorillo iced a decent team since a salary cap was introduced?? He was pretty brilliant when he could pay what ever he wanted for players and had the best goalie of all time in his prime. But since the salary cap has been introduced and Brodeur got old, he has one team to have made the playoffs and fortunately made a bit of a Cinderella run to the finals as a 4th seed. Looking at New Jersey today they are a pretty weak team with not too many prospects in the cupboard.

Sadly, I think Lou is not a salary cap GM and I think he is a fish out of water when he can't use the checkbook to build a team. The successful teams these days draft and develop incredibly well and that hasn't ever really been Lou's MO.

I think this is a name hire for the Leafs and, in time, will be proven to be the wrong move. But I have been known to be wrong about these things too.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  10:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read a few posts for why Lou might not be the guy for Toronto and a few of why he might be great for Toronto. Shanahan is obviously the big man on campus with final say, but is less of the day to day guy, controlling the travel and practice that Lou is. Lou doesn't like media coverage in the locker room, practice or post game. He doesn't like superstars and prefers to promote the team. People love to be the hero and the media loves to promote the heroes, but Lou give them the team line every time. When Parise's head got to be to big contract wise, Lou let him go, same with most of the pick me, pick me players. Lou doesn't like early arrival on out of town games and is on record discouraging non hockey distractions for the team. He is there to get rid of the country club atmosphere in Toronto and build a winning team by committee. the only knock on him as he has had bad luck signing sought after free agents and losing them due to injury or retirement.

Think of the recent wins by Lou. Jagr, Schneider and Cammalleri. Most people only remember the Kovalchuk, Ryder and Clowe deals, who were all highly sought after players, but the ending to there stories were not so great. I think Lou will do great in Toronto. Wish my team had the foresight to bring a guy in like him for when Murray is no longer around as GM.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 07/24/2015 10:28:32
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  12:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think lou was brought in to show dubas the do`s and dont`s as an NHL GM...u learn a lot in 28 years and make a lot of mistakes.
it will certainly be a great help for dubas to get these GM lessons from lou.
i believe that hunter and dubas will do the bulk of the leafs work when it comes to bringing in ( drafting ) young talent, lou will just keep a watchful eye and be a mentor / advisor to the duo.
i know that most of the decisions i make in my life are based on mistakes ive made in the past, im sure Lou has made many mistakes too in the past 28 years and these wrong decisions will be be passed onto dubas and hunter so they wont repeat lou`s former screw ups.
Lou has a wealth of knowledge to pass onto dubas and this knowledge will certainly make dubas a better man / GM...good hiring i think
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page