Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 increase in fighting Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  14:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This year in the NHL there has been a big increase in fighting. TSN took a survey on the fighting increase. They asked about 50 players. About 10 players said it was neutral and 40 said it was good but none of them said the increase was bad! Another interesting fact, Derek Boogard spoke on TV the other day. He anounced his opening of his new hockey school teaching kids how to fight! When will the NHL draw the line.

GO PREDATORS GO

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  17:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also saw that Derek Boogard hockey fighting school on TV. I am not saying that it is bad to fight in hockey, its apart of the game, but teaching 11-15 year olds how to fight, I find is pointless. I can see if it was 16 and up. But I heard that alot of kids signed up for it, so i dunno.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  18:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That hockey school was held close to where I live, and from what I know it was blown out of proportion by the media. Big surprise. I believe Derek and his brother gave a demo to the kids on how to fight properly and safely. To me that is smart.

The reason NHL guys don't want to ban fighting is because most of them know and adhere to "the code". If you don't know "the code", there is no use trying to explain it. You need to be a player to understand.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  18:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that it was smart. With so many injuries already caused by fighting if Boogard teaches how to fight properly then maybe later in a few years we will see some nice scraps.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  20:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that getting young kids in that school might be a bad idea, but I think that players need to know what to do in a fight, not unlike learning who to take and give a hit.

Most players will have at least one fight in their careers (even WG fought once, and it was UGLY). For a player's safety, I think they would be stupid to not at least be prepared and some what trained on how to not get hurt.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  06:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is pretty dumb to teach young kids how to fight, even if he's teaching them how to fight safely as well.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  10:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Derek Boogard fighting clinic is at PuckMasters in Regina. I was asked to go to that clinic but I passed on it, I have 2 older brothers who fought, they can teach me.

And it's not necessarily teaching kids how to fight it's how to protect yourself when you're in a fight. Witch isn't a bad idea at all. Wayne Gretzky said that he though it was a good idea.

There teaching these kids in Bantam. Last year in Hockey Regina there was only about 2 fights(One was a goalie fight) in Bantam. I don't think they need to start teaching these kids how to protect to fight this young. Because in my mind the kids that start fighting in Bantam won't be playing for a real long time. In Midget the fighting happens a lot more. But by that time they have there own players who go out and fight every once in a while. And I don't see the point in fighting in the Hockey Regina league. If you fight once you get a 2 game suspension, your second fight you get a 5 game suspension and if you fight for the third time you are suspended for 30 days.

It's a little different in this town that rhymes with fun.

But the reason in my mind that there is more fighting is because a lot of fans like to watch fights. It gets people to watch more hockey. If they can get fights,goals and young superstars a lot of people will start watching hockey more.

Eat,Sleep,Watch Hockey,Play Hockey
The Perfect Life!

Edited by - PainTrain on 10/20/2007 10:02:18
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  13:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Most players will have at least one fight in their careers (even WG fought once, and it was UGLY). For a player's safety, I think they would be stupid to not at least be prepared and some what trained on how to not get hurt.

Gretzky received three fighting majors in his career. That said, there was only one that you could charitably call a fight (Gretzky vs. Broten).

And you`re right, they were ugly.

Cheers.

Edited by - spade632 on 10/20/2007 13:46:09
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  15:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying that young kids should learn how to fight, but I'm thinking any kid that is going to play Junior B and up should at least learn what could and normally does happen in a fight.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  16:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing the Boogyman's thought behind it is that there are a few kids out there (and let's face it, there are) that maybe won't make the NHL on talent alone, much like himself. They need a physical edge. Between playing hockey and being an enforcer making a million or so a year, and working at some store making minimum wage, it's an option that is fairly attractive to some kids who may be good, but not great hockey players.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  15:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well with the new NHL, the focus is more on playing ability and not so much on fighting anymore, so you'd have to be a good player as well as an enforcer.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  18:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like alone in this belief, but I think the idea of the "New NHL" is highly overstated. Yes, they call the hooking closer, and the holding. Good stuff. But it's harldy what you'd call "New".

Some things can't be changed....

- players are bigger, faster and in better shape. No summer beer bellies anymore. (Grant Fuhr, where have you gone?)
- equipment is lighter and less likely to hold ten pounds of water.
- goalies are more agile, and have far better equipment than even 10 years ago.
- coaches are no longer 50% motivator, 50% innovator. It's more like 25/75. The game is analyzed to the hilt.

These are the factors that can not be controlled by any rule change. They can make goalie pads smaller, but they can't make them suck again.

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  16:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It isn't new at all. They call a few more penalties and the teams average like .25 more goals per game. Just sounds like the 1990's to me.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Guest9248
( )

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  18:04:53  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

This year in the NHL there has been a big increase in fighting. TSN took a survey on the fighting increase. They asked about 50 players. About 10 players said it was neutral and 40 said it was good but none of them said the increase was bad! Another interesting fact, Derek Boogard spoke on TV the other day. He anounced his opening of his new hockey school teaching kids how to fight! When will the NHL draw the line.

GO PREDATORS GO

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page