Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Brandon Sutter - Can he live up to the hype? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2015 :  12:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The Canucks picked up two-way player Brandon Sutter on July 28th from the Penguins. They traded Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening and a second round pick...then had to sign a $22 million dollar 5 year extension. Can he live up to the cost?

Choices:

Yes, Canucks got a deal!
Yes, nailed it!
No, he is not worth THAT much!
No, overpaid by a long shot!
Who is Brandon Sutter?

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2015 :  14:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It certainly seems like a gamble in a way, as I don't know a whole lot about the player. Benning has probably seen more of the guy than most of us on the West Coast.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2015 :  16:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never like trading for a player and then signing to a long term contract, before they've played a single game with their new team. All kinds of things can go wrong with this...

As for living up to the hype, its possible that he will live up to it or even exceed it - depending on what the team does at centre. Everyone has penciled Horvat into the #2 centre role, but with the acquisition of Sutter and the long term extension, I wonder if they're already thinking that Horvat could fill the #1 role in a couple of years (or less) when the Sedin's retire... if so, could Sutter be a good fit as second line centre behind Horvat?

No matter what way you slice it, 4.something is too much to pay for a 3rd line centre - so either Benning is on drugs, or he has a longer term plan for Sutter that doesn't involve him being a 3rd line centre.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  09:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen him play, I'd classify him as a 3rd line Center with pretty decent skill. I just found bennings comment so stupid ... Saying he brought in sutter at Center to kind of replace the sedins soon.... Diffrent types of centres all together. Sutter is a good player, not the Canucks saviour by no means BUT still a hard working good player. His contract can be debated , as they all can. In the end the Canucks get a good ole hard nosed Canadian boy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Leafs fan, this SO looks like Clarkson 2.0

Pittsburgh made out like a bandit on this one!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  07:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

As a Leafs fan, this SO looks like Clarkson 2.0

Pittsburgh made out like a bandit on this one!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!

Well, I'm not so sure about making out like bandits. Bonino's numbers are a bit misleading, he was great in the first half but tailed off badly in the second half. He proved to be mediocre in the faceoff circle, and did not provide the 2-way play that we thought we were getting. I think Sutter provides a significant upgrade in defensive responsibility, which is something that the Canucks found themselves missing last year after losing Kesler.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2015 :  14:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's def not comparable to the Clarkson swindle in my opinion, but I do think the Canucks overpaid. I would have been much more pleased with Bonino and the pick OR Bonino and Clendening, but not all 3!

As for the contract, he def needs to go out and improve. Sure, he's a good 2 way player, but for that kind of cash, he needs to improve his offensive numbers for sure!

Overpayment on both fronts, the trade AND the contract.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  10:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if "live up to the hype" fits this trade, but if Benning said he was trading for Sutter to slot him into the top center role right now above the Sedins, I think Vancouver has more troubles than this one trade, mainly Benning is on crack. But to defend the trade, neither Bonino or Clendening were that legit top 6 players Sutter will likely be in Vancouver. I don't see this as a steal for Pittsburgh or a huge upgrade in Vancouver, but both filled needs both teams had.

I think the signing was very poor, too long and too much, but if he ends up better than the .5 ppg I figure him for and continues to provide a strong 2 way game, it might end up being a great move.

Sutter is a known commodity and was a great replacement for Stall in Pittsburgh with a similar skill set. He is not going to light the league on fire with his .5ppg potential, but should be good for the second line center role in Vancouver, giving some relief to the first line, possible giving them an opportunity to move Vrbata off the top line, reuniting Burrows with the Sedins and giving them 2 legit lines of scoring. Who knows where Prust slots in Vancouver, but imagine a line of Sutter, Vrbata, Prust crease blocking the goalie and another with the Sedins and Burrows filling the same role as Prust on the top line. Both lines should be productive, aggravating to play against, hard to line match and decent defensively.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2015 :  15:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua......i didn't see anywhere that Benning said Sutter would be their 1C ahead of the Sedins? If he did, and i highly doubt it, then he def is on crack!

I agree the contract seems rich, but isn't it interesting how 95% of deals these days seem that way? Maybe us PUHers aren't quite the capologists we think we are?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  12:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the signing was very poor, too long and too much, but if he ends up better than the .5 ppg I figure him for and continues to provide a strong 2 way game, it might end up being a great move.

So, what is the going rate for solid 2 way players that get ~40 points a season and are going into their prime production years? In the larger scheme of things, 4.25 doesn't seem like much of an overpayment.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2015 :  17:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Joshua......i didn't see anywhere that Benning said Sutter would be their 1C ahead of the Sedins? If he did, and i highly doubt it, then he def is on crack!

I agree the contract seems rich, but isn't it interesting how 95% of deals these days seem that way? Maybe us PUHers aren't quite the capologists we think we are?

Just a response to Duke claiming Benning brought him into replace the Sedins on the top line from above. Nuxfan, I don't think $4.25 is necessarily an overpayment if Sutter can accomplish/maintain a .5 ppg in the top 6 for Vancouver. Just thinking that's his max top end potential, which I personally think is too high or absolute max for his skill set, yet he does have that potential. I really think the term is too long, but then again I don't like terms longer than 3 years for any player, unless he is a marquee player. Too much risk, especially when your betting on potential.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page