Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Oilers flying! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  08:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! That3rd period and the entire OT was insane last night! I said to my wife while watching the 3rd period, it's inevitable that the Oilers are going to tie this game up. Sharks fans must have been sitting on the edge of their seat the entire time, watching their team dump the puck out time after time. This is the most frustrating time for a fan of a team to have to watch. Up 1 goal in the 3rd period of a playoff game! The Sharks mounted pretty much ZERO attack from the start of the 3rd on, aside from one shift in OT. I was actually surprised to see the Oilers only outshot the Sharks 8-7 in the 3rd period. It seemed more like 18-3! OT was 14-2 in favor of Edmonton which was definitely indicative of the flow of play! It was all Oilers and their youth really showed. Thornton, Pavelski, etc looked like they were skating as 60 year olds! Lol. This Sharks team, even after the 7-0 home blowout, looks tired. I wonder if they can go home and force a game 7? The way it's gone, I can't say I'd be shocked but these "kids" from Edmonton may just have too much speed, energy, etc.

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  02:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive series win by the Oilers. The Ducks will be a great test for the young Oilers in round 2. As good as the Ducks are, I wouldn't bet against McDavid and the boys.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  02:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, it'll be an interesting off season for the Sharks and their aging core. What will happen with their 2 star 37 year old UFAS, Joe Thornton & Patrick Marleau?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  14:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was fortunate enough to be at the game on Thursday and it was insane. The NHL does seem to have evolved to be a speed game and, although SJ is still a very skilled team, they couldn't compete with the Oilers speed.

Both Marleau and Thornton (more so Jumbo Joe) have value but not as core pieces of a team. Both will find new homes and/or retire. I see SJ going in a completely different direction this off-season.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  14:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes great series . All cdn teams series are great . No luck at all for Calgary though , that 4-1 blown lead killed them. deserved a closer series.
Even the leafs could be up 3 game to 2 on the caps, overtime anyones game. Cant wait for next season when they hopefully upgrade their defense , gonna be interesting.....an Edm vs Tor cup final in soon coming in a year or 2......mark my words.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  14:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Thorthon seems very out of place , prob be added very cheaply , if anyone wants him . Marleau is still playing dam good hockey though.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  13:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Yeah Thorthon seems very out of place , prob be added very cheaply , if anyone wants him . Marleau is still playing dam good hockey though.

Its been reported that Thorton was playing thru a MCL / ACL tear. So there was a reason he looked worse than usual. If he doesn't retire he will not be a cheap add for another team. He will sign an Alfredsson / Jagr / Selanne type contract if he returns. The big question is does he retire. That should be a poll on this site.

https://www.nhl.com/news/sharks-thornton-played-through-playoffs-with-torn-mcl-acl/c-289067354?tid=287339198

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 04/24/2017 13:26:16
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  16:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see him retiring, I remember reading in an article recently that he plans on playing for a while yet. Now whether his knee injuries impacts his decision or not, who knows. He still has a lot to give. Marleau is coming off a solid season, but I don't see the Sharks resigning him either.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  17:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see him retiring, I remember reading in an article recently that he plans on playing for a while yet. Now whether his knee injuries impacts his decision or not, who knows. He still has a lot to give. Marleau is coming off a solid season, but I don't see the Sharks resigning him either.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  10:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Very impressive series win by the Oilers. The Ducks will be a great test for the young Oilers in round 2. As good as the Ducks are, I wouldn't bet against McDavid and the boys.

Sharks did a really good job on McDavid. Vlasic is such an underrated dman, especially defensively. McDavid had better be prepared to have Kesler in his face for the next week or two. Should be fun to watch!

quote:

Also, it'll be an interesting off season for the Sharks and their aging core. What will happen with their 2 star 37 year old UFAS, Joe Thornton & Patrick Marleau?

I read an article that predicted Marleau to the Ducks (or possibly LA). Ducks may make more sense as the Getzlaf/Perry led "window" will begin to close and another veteran wouldn't hurt a playoff run. Speculated it'd be a pretty cheap deal as Marleau likely would play for less to have a legitimate shot at a cup? Anaheim's decision could be based on how the rest of this playoffs go?

Thornton was speculated to go to Ottawa for 2 years at 6 per in the same article? Seems steep to me?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  10:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

yes great series . All cdn teams series are great . No luck at all for Calgary though , that 4-1 blown lead killed them. deserved a closer series.
Even the leafs could be up 3 game to 2 on the caps, overtime anyones game. Cant wait for next season when they hopefully upgrade their defense , gonna be interesting.....an Edm vs Tor cup final in soon coming in a year or 2......mark my words.

Really expected that series to go back to Anaheim at 2-2. That blown lead in game 3 really was a killer.

Toronto could have just as easily won that series! OT games are a crapshoot and could have gone the other way. IF they could have stolen game 4, it would have likely been lights out for Washington!

Edmonton / Toronto final is definitely a likely scenario, though I'd venture to guess 3 or 4 years down the road. Both should be strong contenders for the big prize for years to come, but Pittsburgh, Washington, etc still have strong enough teams to have a say in who goes deep. It's going to happen though eventually and as much as Bettman won't like it, it will sure be good for Canadian hockey fans!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  10:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last season when he was rumored to be on the trade block, wasn't the 3 teams he was willing to waive his NTC for Anaheim, LA, and NYR? So I'd say there would be a pretty good chance of the Ducks/Kings rumor panning out if he does hit the market. Can't see NYR making a play but who knows.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  22:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Sharks did a really good job on McDavid. Vlasic is such an underrated dman, especially defensively. McDavid had better be prepared to have Kesler in his face for the next week or two. Should be fun to watch!

quote:

I read an article that predicted Marleau to the Ducks (or possibly LA). Ducks may make more sense as the Getzlaf/Perry led "window" will begin to close and another veteran wouldn't hurt a playoff run. Speculated it'd be a pretty cheap deal as Marleau likely would play for less to have a legitimate shot at a cup? Anaheim's decision could be based on how the rest of this playoffs go?

Thornton was speculated to go to Ottawa for 2 years at 6 per in the same article? Seems steep to me?

Not saying I never thought about Thorton playing for Ottawa, but at this point in his career, I just can't see my team freeing the cap needed, only to spend it on Thorton at almost 40. Or Marleau. Cap space and real dollars, is going to be tight for my team in the next few years with contracts needing to be signed. It was why my team traded Zibanejad for Brassard, real dollars Brassard was cheaper, even though the cap hit was higher and our owner has had a cash crunch lately. Plus they have 3 or 4 Centerman in the pipeline with 6-7 playing on the team now, some as wingers because they are not enough spots for centers.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  22:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it sad that Larsson now has more playoff goals than Hall for the Oilers? I know, I know, Hall never played in the playoffs, but that's kinda the point isn't it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page