Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Why Do People Not Like The Leafs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LeafsFan4Life
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  23:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The leafs have been around forever sure they have made some bad decisions but they still have a quality team may not always finish first or even in the middle of the pack but they are one of the two Canadian teams that started it all give em a little respect and some fans that don't always boo them and they may make some better decisions and not always put band aid on the team to get better now, and eventually they are gonna have to get some young talent and will get better i know its been 40 years since they have seen a cup but sooner or later they gotta win lol

drunk 24/7

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  07:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think people dislike the Leafs for many reasons. One is their die-hard fans lack of acknowledgement of the rest of the hockey world.

For example, the Montreal Canadiens, the Montreal Wanderers, the Toronto Arenas and Ottawa Senators were technically the teams that "started it all" in 1917. In fact, before they were the Leafs, they were the St. Patricks. They became the Leafs in 1927.

But I digress.
Go to Top of Page

LeafsFan4Life
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  12:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
true enough i guess the first team that started it all was the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association who was first given the cup in 1893 and the Kenora Thistles, where the smallest town to ever win the cup.

I guess to I still wear my old St Pats jersey when i watch the leafs games, kinda fun to reminisce about the old days of hockey, when it was played on the ponds and when the game was about fun..I still like the leafs because i always have win lose or draw i may get frustrated with them and their decisions but still gotta stick with your fav team

Long Live HOCKEY
Go to Top of Page

Azeman
Top Prospect

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  13:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 words

They suck

GO WINGS GO!!!!
Go to Top of Page

habshockey
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is coming from my habs background, and from my heart. THE LEAFS SUCK. A couple main reasons:

1) Their old players, other than Sundin are terrible. Their younger players, so so. They're all slow and boring to watch. Stralman is exciting, but where uis he right now? Yes that's right in the minors.

2) They pick up a couple of good players every year and make them look terrible playing for them. Blake isn't playing that well. And Toskala, don't get me started.

3) Living in Toronto for about 5 years I can easily say that I hate leafs fans (not all but most) All they care about is the leafs and don't give a crap about other teams and the rest of the NHL.

4) I don't think anybody, even leafs fans like JF jr.

losers since 67 will have to wait another year

Edited by - habshockey on 11/11/2007 15:51:17
Go to Top of Page

Guest5284
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  16:02:23  Reply with Quote
As a Hab's fan, I've had to endure forty years of watching mediocre to crappy Leaf hockey on t.v. I know the Canadiens don't have the best team in the league this year, but the Leafs just drive me nuts because everybody just assumes it's ok to cheer for a team that always fails to deliver. I laugh every time the television camera zooms in on a Leaf fan with the "we're number 1" sign flashing after a goal. GET A LIFE!!!Believe me, the Habs will win the cup again before the Leafs acheive that goal.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  17:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe part of it is exemplified in the half-dozen or so threads from Leafs' fans titled, "Why does everybody hate us?". Take a look at all of these, and the comments made by these "fans", and I think you will find your answer.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Scudworth
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  17:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel sad for Leaf fans, for having to continually watch mediocre teams. Seriously, they break the hearts of fans over, and over, and over again, and yet they sell out almost all season long. It also, in the past decade has seemed to be the deathbed of goaltenders that seem to be semi decent when coming in to the team. How many goalies have the Leafs been through in a ten year period?

I won't deny the team's heritage, and how impressive it was. But seriously, Montreal in comparison has at least continued to thrive in the NHL. And though they did have a stretch of bad years (I'm not a Habs or Leafs fan, btw), they're currently in the longest stretch since their last cup win in team history.

I think in order for the team to start turning into the one they were when our Parents and Grandparents were watching them on new color tvs, fans need to stop selling out the Air Canada center. Show your team that you're sick of the mediocrity in comparison to another team in the same province. It works in Alberta, why can't it work in Ontario?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2919
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:15:45  Reply with Quote
i hate the leafs because they could have 1 win an entire season and they would still get all of the HNIC and tsn coverage when at the same time i could be watching a team that is actually in contention like the canadiens or sens
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scudworth

I think in order for the team to start turning into the one they were when our Parents and Grandparents were watching them on new color tvs, fans need to stop selling out the Air Canada center. Show your team that you're sick of the mediocrity in comparison to another team in the same province. It works in Alberta, why can't it work in Ontario?

You seem to posess the frame of mind that is often lacking east of the prairies. Never lose that. It's called common sense.

Go to Top of Page

Scudworth
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  13:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm more of a fan of the Western teams. Maybe it's because as an old Jets fan, I still like the "Smythe Division" teams, or something. Seriously though, I love the Edmonton/Calgary rivalry in the NHL. Even when neither team is stellar, it doesn't matter. There's always trash talk between the two cities for their respective teams. And I can understand why each team sells out, because even in some mediocrity, they've shown some fantastic brilliance.

On the other side of the card, I haven't been impressed with the Leafs in, well, I can't remember. They seemed to have possessed that thing the Jets used to have: make your fans believe in you, and then let them down at the best moment available. They'll be angry but they'll keep coming back for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9591
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  16:05:03  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeafsFan4Life

The leafs have been around forever sure they have made some bad decisions but they still have a quality team may not always finish first or even in the middle of the pack but they are one of the two Canadian teams that started it all give em a little respect and some fans that don't always boo them and they may make some better decisions and not always put band aid on the team to get better now, and eventually they are gonna have to get some young talent and will get better i know its been 40 years since they have seen a cup but sooner or later they gotta win lol

drunk 24/7

biggest run on sentence ever- you lost me half way man
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  20:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azeman

2 words

They suck

GO WINGS GO!!!!

WOW. OH MY GOD!!!! Thank you for that incredible insight!!! How does anyone expect the quality of our forums to up when we get these amazing posts??? Man, like we haven't heard that one before. At least come up with something new if those are the type of posts you are going to write.

Here is my take on things...

I am a leaf fan. I do occasionally get upset with the management that the leafs have. Reason being? The management doesn't seem to care for the team. And the reason for that? It does not actually have a one man owning the franchise. The teachers board owns the leafs. So as long as the leafs keeping selling the ACC out every game why get better players?? Better players cost more money. Money that the teachers board will be losing with better players. That is the part that pisses me off. On the other hand. The leafs have some of the most dedicated fans in the NHL. They could be first or last and the ACC is pretty much sold out either way. And why is that? The leafs are pretty much(yes I'm going to say it) the center of the NHL. They have the most fans(and enemies...it comes with the territory of having the most fans), are worth the most money. 413 million. They pretty much keep another franchise from going bankrupt. I was at the leaf game in Buffalo last friday and the arena was 60% leaf fans. Take the leafs out of the NHL and you are losing two teams. See the influence the leafs and their fans have? And so if you combine that with not winning a cup in 40 years BUT still having all those fans and all that influence....that seems to piss other fans off. That's what I think.
Go to Top of Page

Scudworth
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, right. I forgot that the NHL revolves around a less than stellar team. That's why the league sucks in ratings compared to NASCAR, NFL, NBA, PGA, and even the CFL. They do wonders for the league.
Go to Top of Page

Kovie
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion alot of it has to do with the fact that out here in the west the early CBC game on Saturdays is always the leafs. If I could occasionally catch a Montreal game or a Senators game on a Saturday at 5:00Pm MST it might be more exciting to catch the occasional Leafs game. But it is just the CBC's way of trying to convince all of us that the Leafs are the greatest team in Hockey. Unfortunatley for them their record speaks for them.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  14:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only speak for myself and the people I know, but the biggest reason that people dislike TO is that the media drives the Leafs down your throat.

Every single Saturday Night?? Remember before HNIC had double headers and the Leafs were a horrible team. There were many seasons where Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary all had great teams but hockey fans were forced to watch the Leafs. Now, the best teams in Canada (Ottawa and Montreal) get 2nd rate coverage behind the Leafs. Thank Heavens they are in the same division so you will at least get TO against Montreal or Ottawa. Personally, I think CBC should do like Sunday Night Football does. They promote the best games they can. They will change their originally scheduled game for the best game possible. Not saying take the Leafs away complete, but if there is a Detroit/Ottawa game or a Toronto/Phoenix game, what one do you want to watch??

I have nothing against the team or the management. I think they have a bad management team there, but that is again the media's fault. The management team are forced into band-aid solutions to appease the media masses. I seriously think that you could put Scottie Bowman behind the bench and Brian Murray as GM and they still wouldn't be able to produce a winner.

Why to people dislike the Leafs. Two word, the Media.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  15:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Why to people dislike the Leafs. Two word, the Media.

I can understand what you are saying about people hating the Leafs because of the media but if you really think about it, it doesnt make sense.

The Leafs are not a person they are a hockey team. I dont understand how you can hate a hockey team because of how different people portray them.

I dont think there has been a post in this thread that says why somebody hates the Leafs because of some reason other then the media other then the occasional guest post saying its because the Leafs suck.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  15:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not how the media portrays them at all in my opinion. It's the fact that they are crammed down the hockey world's throat. Regardless of the rest of the hockey world.

Perfect example is this Avery incident of Saturday Night. Any other City in the League and it's brought up that day, then maybe again if there is action taken. Because it's in TO, it's the topic all over the TV for days.

Go to Top of Page

Guest7680
( )

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  15:48:17  Reply with Quote
Alot of the "hatred" naturally comes from ancient rivalries.

True HABs fans must by definition hate the Bruins, the Leafs, and the Nordiques. Although Colorado by sheer distance has been spared a certain amount of the Nordique hostility. Where does that come from? Does it even have anything to do with hockey? Yes and no. Leaving Boston out of it, Montreal and Toronto has a rich tradition of hating each other. Not just the hockey teams mind you but the cities too.

The media coverage certainly doesn't help. As Beans15 said, it is most frustrating when your team plays second string to another one in the media coverage - TSN being the worst offender. While granted it's not terribly logical to take that out on the Leafs, I'm sure they aren't complaining about it. And since when does team loyalty have to be logical?

On a more personal note I don't like the Leafs because I find them a boring team with Thug tendancies. They make ugly hockey. I don't like Philly for the same reason. I don't like NJ because they introduced the trap. I don't like the Rangers because they buy their team every year. I could go on. But I digress.

Go HABs. I'll love you even if you don't win the cup for the next 40 years.

Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right, right. I forgot that the NHL revolves around a less than stellar team. That's why the league sucks in ratings compared to NASCAR, NFL, NBA, PGA, and even the CFL. They do wonders for the league.

CFL? I don't think so bud. Hey I have no problem with you hating the Leafs. But please give me a good reason other then that they haven't won a cup in 40 years as to why you hate them. And don't use Beans' point because that is the only point so far that actually makes sense. The Blackhawks haven't won since '61. Do you hate them as much???
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't hate the Blackhawk because I don't have to watch them every Saturday Night.

One more point about people Hating the Leafs was brought up and that was original rivalries. I don't think it has to be Habs fans that only get to hate the Leafs.

This may go further than hockey. Rightly or wrongly, Toronto has a negative reputation outside of the GTA. There is a perception of an arrogant, centre of the universe attitude. Very much like NY and LA in the States. It's the David vs Goliath, big guy vs the little guy mentality.

I think this filters down to Hockey. It's the rest of the Cities in Canada shouting out, "You ain't so great TO!"

Just like the battle of Alberta, but on a National Scale. Most people outside of TO are against them.

Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure it's entirely fair to blame CBC or TSN for this.

They are driven by ratings, and I'm sure they've done test audiences, etc, that show more people (like me, fool that I am) will watch the Leafs vs anybody on a Saturday night than, say, NYR vs Carolina.

Even the Sens, as good as they are, are not as popular anywhere in Canada as the Leafs. Many of us might dislike the Leafs, but every guy on here, no matter where he lives in this great nation of ours, can name some buddies that are die-hard Leaf fans. And they watch every Saturday. Until people turn the channel, this won't change.

I'm as guilty as anybody, because I complain... "Ah, crap, another Leafs game?"

And then I watch it.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fly, I can honestly say that not one of my friends is a Leafs Fan. In fact, few people I meet are Leafs Fans. The Majority is the opposite.

And I understand that it's a ratings thing with TSN, but the CBC is government funded is it not?? Alberta puts more money into the Government through transfer payments than any other province. Does that mean we should get Calgary early and Edmonton late every Saturday??

I agree the TSN might be to blame, but CBC is a government funded organization. Therefore, my opinion is that they should have equal coverage of any sport they are showing on a national scale. CFL gets pretty even coverage from CBC, why not hockey??

Finally, I am not one of those guys that watches the Leaf game on Saturday. Rarely, if ever do I tune in for the game. I will, however, flip over there during intermissions as I find Cherry and what ever other guests they have on during the intermissions of the early game far more entertaining than the Leafs vs. anyone.

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct, Beans. The biggest cause of hatred towards the Leafs is the media that constantly suround them. I hate hearing about them. And I'm not alone. One poster recently blamed the teachers' union for not allowing enough money for the Leafs to sign better players. I may be wrong, but I believe that the Leafs are as close to the salary cap as they could be. Living in Ontario, I hear this all the time, that the ownership is to blame for their woes, but I think it's pretty obvious that the management may have some influence in the team's failures.

Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly, I have about 50 dudes I would call close friends. I would guess that about 20 of them are Leaf fans, another 10 are Habs fans, 10 are Oiler fans, and the rest are floaters like me.

Of course, I live in a land where allegiances are based not on geography, but who you grew up watching the most. Guess who that was???
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  17:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the main reason I hate the Leafs is because growing up my whole family hated the Leafs, thats my reason I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KariyaSelanne

Well the main reason I hate the Leafs is because growing up my whole family hated the Leafs, thats my reason I guess.

Ya but is there a reason that you were brought up hating the Leafs? Just a question I am just curious why everybody seems to have some sort of vendetta against the Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Scudworth
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ED11

quote:

CFL? I don't think so bud. Hey I have no problem with you hating the Leafs. But please give me a good reason other then that they haven't won a cup in 40 years as to why you hate them. And don't use Beans' point because that is the only point so far that actually makes sense. The Blackhawks haven't won since '61. Do you hate them as much???

If you scroll up to my first post, I think I left a fine list of reasons why I hate the Leafs. And as for your Hawks comment, at least they're bringing in new, young talent, no?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2047
( )

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:13:20  Reply with Quote
Is this a trick question?
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's basic psychology 101 that when someone or some institution is dearly beloved, the next step in the evolution of humanity is to start to hate that thing with a burning passion of a thousand suns.

Think about it...some of the most loved players and teams of all time are also the most hated...and that goes beyond the sports world. Celebrities, whatever...same thing. Ikea, for example. Some people love Ikea, and want to spend every Sunday there. That means people hate Ikea. Obscure reference, but am I wrong?

A fan should probably take it as a compliment. I should do the same for all the criticism I take for my man-crushes on Crosby, Gretzky, and Lindros. People HATE those guys as much as I love them.

Orr seems to be the only one who is bulletproof. If you meet someone who hates Orr, let me know. That would be a first.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

It's basic psychology 101 that when someone or some institution is dearly beloved, the next step in the evolution of humanity is to start to hate that thing with a burning passion of a thousand suns.

Think about it...some of the most loved players and teams of all time are also the most hated...and that goes beyond the sports world. Celebrities, whatever...same thing. Ikea, for example. Some people love Ikea, and want to spend every Sunday there. That means people hate Ikea. Obscure reference, but am I wrong?

A fan should probably take it as a compliment. I should do the same for all the criticism I take for my man-crushes on Crosby, Gretzky, and Lindros. People HATE those guys as much as I love them.

Orr seems to be the only one who is bulletproof. If you meet someone who hates Orr, let me know. That would be a first.

Interesting but a good way of putting things as always Fly.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  19:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I do what I can.
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  23:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Thank you fly. I can't stress enough how much I say that the reason why people hate the leafs is because they have the most people who like them as well. I said it in my first post in this thread. And you are right. I do take it as a compliment.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  06:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there are a lot of jealous people out there. They think that their team should get all the attention, and not Toronto.

Well one day your favourite team will be at the center of attention, and guess what everyone else will hate your team then...

When the Leafs win the Cup one day there will be so many of those fans that said they hated the Leafs waiving a flag from their car, and they are going to totally deny ever hating them...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  06:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

This may go further than hockey. Rightly or wrongly, Toronto has a negative reputation outside of the GTA. There is a perception of an arrogant, centre of the universe attitude. Very much like NY and LA in the States. It's the David vs Goliath, big guy vs the little guy mentality.

I think this filters down to Hockey. It's the rest of the Cities in Canada shouting out, "You ain't so great TO!"

I think the above really gets at the answer to this question the most. If we're just focusing on hockey, one would think that the reason for the anti-Leaf thing HAS to do more than just the "hating succeessful guys" thing, as the Leafs haven't won since before Pierre Elliot Trudeau rode into Ottawa and before Tricky d***y began planting wire devices throughout the White House.

That's why I don't get the venom coming out of Leaf haters! Who are you knocking and hating when you say, "Leafs suck!"? It especially puzzles me when a Montreal fan does it. That's like a guy wearing a Hugo Boss suit and a Rolex watch grabbing some penniless bum on the street corner and screaming "You suck!". I don't get that.

Now, Bruin fans feeling venom towards Montreal (especially their fans of 40 or over), THAT is understandable!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7680
( )

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  09:25:20  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure that's a fair analogy. Rivalries go both ways. Toronto and Montreal both have rich hockey histories. This use of this analogy is a classic of exactly why Toronto fans seem to grate on other fans nerves. Toronto fans give as good as they get.

At the end of last years season my few friends who are Toronto fans just couldn't seem to let the glee of "we eliminated Montreal from the play-offs" out of their system. So please don't play the victim card, it doesn't wash.

That being said, noone should have to apologize for being a die-hard fan and loving their team. More power to you. I much prefer people who are loyal to their team than Stanley cup followers who only cheer when a team does well.

I also enjoy arguing with you that my team is better than yours. That is part of what makes hockey fun. The rivalries, even the fights, the nail-biting battles to make the playoffs. Even the disappointing losses, it only makes the re-matches all the sweeter to watch.

So kudos to all you die-hard fans out there who fill the cheap seats, and cheer til you are hoarse. I may not agree with you, but you make hockey what it is.

And to the Leafs, the team we all love to hate, I'll probably cheer for you when you are the only Canadian team left in the playoffs. But no guarantees :)
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest 7680 - I don't disagree that Leafs fans can be jerks. I think Habs fans can be jerks too though. As can Bruin fans...

And the analogy does have some holes in it, sure. For one thing, the Leafs are more like a wealthy bum on the street who just is constantly wasting all his resources.

Some of this is half-kidding, BUT as a fan of a team that hasn't won forever (often due to your team), I just find it strange when fans of a team as successful as Montreal has been find it necessary to bash a team that hasn't won in forty years.

Actually, I don't think you, and other Habs fans of your generation can really relate at all to what I am talking about. We're coming at this from totally different perspectives (that part I am more than half serious I guess). I guarantee that if the Bruins ever win ONE cup, let alone multiple ones, I'll never get that pissed off about a Bruin loss again. I certainly won't bash other teams that have gone on years and years without the same success. I suppose all this losing has given a bit of a gift to me.

Anyway, call it "playing the victim card" if you want, but I don't think a Montreal fan really understands the "hockey fan" mind of a Toronto or Boston fan who has been around for the full ride since those Cups so many moons ago (which I was too young for).

Last point - I'm not asking you to apologize (Edit - at least the apology doesn't have to be in writing!). I just can't stand seeing you get upset when they lose though. I have Hab friends who have experienced close to TEN cup victories in their lives and they get SUPER upset when the Habs lose today. It's kind of silly I guess, but that bugs me.

Edit 2 - I thought of this on the way walking down here. Beating a team out of the playoffs, as the Leafs did to Montreal last year (or even in the playoffs, as the Bruins did to the Habs for a period there) is very nice, BUT, it doesn't mean that much overall. Maybe you should give your Leaf fan buddies some slack there - last year's final game and a goal by Lanny in '78 and one or two good playoffs in the Gilmour years - that, my Hab Rival, is about all they have had in forty years.

You and I both know that what really matters is Cups and in that regard Montreal fans have won many many many times over. Victim card? Maybe, but yes, when I see a Montreal fan knocking the Leafs for not winning in forty years, the word "ARROGANT" does come to mind.

Edited by - andyhack on 11/14/2007 11:33:41
Go to Top of Page

Guest7680
( )

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:34:27  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. I appreciate your comments. I'm sure every team has fans that are jerks. In our exuberance for our team sensitivity tends to fly out the window.

I have enought friends who are Toronto and Boston fans. We have an enormous amount of fun ribbing each other about our various teams. Most of it is in good fun. We ultimately respect each other.

It is terrible when the insults and the comments cross the line and cause hard feelings. And I can definitely understand that coming from a Montreal fan it might be harder to take.

There are always going to be teams that we like more, and some we love to hate, for who knows what kind of ridiculous reasons. I never particularly liked Pittsburgh, but I love the fact that they have pulled themselves out of the basement and are making a run for it.

It's good for the game. Ultimately having a competitive league with compelling rivalries is good for everyone. Preferably not at my team's expense. But hey.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  16:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The popularity of the Leafs probably has been enriched across the country because of the tradition going back to the 30's and Foster Hewitt doing the games on Saturday nights on the wireless (radio). Back in those days people would gather together in who ever's house had a radio with good reception and listen to the games together and cheering on the Leafs because they were the only Canadian team at that time with the exception of the Habs. My Dad was from Sask and he told on many occasions that it was the highlight of the week for them all. You have to understand that CBC radio was their only connection to hockey and the outside world. As the years went by and the Saturday night Leaf games turned into black and white television viewing everyone was still inundated with the Hewitts and the Leafs and their popularity with people from coast to coast had grown immensely up until expansion in 1967. Once the western teams came in then allot of those western people switched allegiances to those teams but there were and still is a real fondness across the country for the Leafs and the traditional Saturday night games. When watching the games from Calgary and Edmonton I still see allot of Leaf jersey's in the crowds. Most of this support is a direct result of that history as the older generations have passed it down to their youngsters who have passed it down again etc. It is changing of course with the successes of the western teams and the advent of the Satelite dish (more options). The tradition of the Leafs on HNIC is a national institution and as long as the TV ratings stay high it will continue but nothing lasts forever.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  17:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

My Dad was from Sask and he told on many occasions that it was the highlight of the week for them all.

I do not know your father, but he sounds like a great man.

Being from Saskatchewan myself, I'm sure it was the higlight of the week. Things are a little more hip here now, though. Just last Saturday, Streetheart was in town.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  18:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, Dad was from down around Weyburn or Pangman. Their family were your original dirt farmers and my dad was one of thirteen kids. He is in his eighties now and still sits and curses the Habs when they play the Leafs. He always brings up the fact that they heard the very first Leaf broadcast with Foster Hewitt and claims it was such an event for them that he remembers it like it was yesterday. I'm afraid to call since Saturday night as I am going to get an earful about the those same stinkin' Habs beating us in OT.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page