Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Web site comments only
 Stats Updates Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  11:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STATS UPDATE - Still waiting for the batch run to finish calculating for Saturday's games. Still trying to figure out what is causing the stats to take so long on some nights to run. I wish I had an answer for everyone but nothing yet.

Guest7181
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  11:44:05  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  11:45:29  Reply with Quote
Well it is really annoying when the stats aren't updated by 2pm
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  12:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, and I can tell you with certainty that no one is more annoyed than I am.

The batch started calculating at 12:05 am PST last night. The longest it has ever taken was 12.5 hours, so hopefully we're close to it being done now. For some reason Saturday nights (Sunday mornings) seem to be the longest. We're hoping that is a clue, but as of now we don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7583
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  12:19:48  Reply with Quote
the anticipation will make it just that much sweeter when i "officially" take the lead in my pool!! :D
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  14:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you need a faster server for processing? :P

I'm in the hosting business, let me know if you need any assistance or information.

- Irvine A. Eatmon, CEO Telix Communications.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  14:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA! Nice plug.

Nah, the server speed is fine, it's actually a database processing thing we think. With any issues in the past we have nailed them down and fixed within hours, but this one is elusive because it is sporadic. We may end up rebuilding the batch system.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5526
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  14:29:33  Reply with Quote
office pools never had this problem
i personally feel it is a better pool all around
Go to Top of Page

Guest5451
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  14:32:21  Reply with Quote
You guys need some healthy vegetables
Go to Top of Page

butch33
Top Prospect

35 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  14:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you guys need to add that second mouse to work nightshift on the spinning wheel

only the good die young
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  14:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Office pools has a mirror site and they charge $20+ per pool so they can afford it. We have offered this site for free since 2003 and have donated thousands of hours of our personal time. This is our first year with any issues and perhaps we can chalk them up to growing pains. I am confident that we will overcome this issue soon.

yes guest 5451 I need to eat more vegetables too.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7181
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  14:59:43  Reply with Quote
can you define soon ;P
Go to Top of Page

Guest4415
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:22:56  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Agreed, and I can tell you with certainty that no one is more annoyed than I am.

The batch started calculating at 12:05 am PST last night. The longest it has ever taken was 12.5 hours, so hopefully we're close to it being done now. For some reason Saturday nights (Sunday mornings) seem to be the longest. We're hoping that is a clue, but as of now we don't know.

It looks like a new record has been established
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no I can not define soon. and yes we have a new record.
Go to Top of Page

habshockey
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  15:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow its taking a while. Are the stats almost set?

losers since 67 will have to wait another year
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  17:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patience is a virtue, folks. Admin said he as just as frustrated as you are, if not, more. It won't come any quicker if you keep asking. And we will all live to post another day. Peace.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9103
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  17:39:13  Reply with Quote
Why is it that in my pool Lubomir Visnovski has 0 points from last night but he had 2pts last night...apparently waiting nearly 24hours doesn't always mean the points will be right.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6251
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  17:40:01  Reply with Quote
I noticed the stats are up now, though Dallas points appear to be missing.

Many thanks for this great *free* service
Go to Top of Page

Guest9642
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  17:42:03  Reply with Quote
Hey I have Visnovsky from LA in my pool and its showing 0 points for him last night? Whats the deal?
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  17:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK that was extremely painful. The stats completed updating at 5:30 this afternoon. 17.5 hours!!! As I've said in many posts, this is not a daily occurence, it seems to be very sporadic. Most nights are done quickly within a couple hours, but some (like last night) seem to go on forever. Thanks for everyone's patience. I don't know what to say except that we will try to continue to uncover and resolve the problem.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  17:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes after all that it looks like the LA / DAL game did not get run in the batch calculation. AAARGH!!!!! We've corrected it and it will be bundled in tonight's stats run (Which I hope will not take as long to process!!!)

When it rains, it pours!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:25:12  Reply with Quote
ADMIN & the Pickuphockey team,

Listen guys thanks for the hard work you guys do. I have been at this site since it started and I know that the minor update problems you guys have had this year are the first time ever and i know you'll iron them out soon. I still get my stats updates daily so i'm good! It's not only a great FREE pool manager, it is a great pool manager system by even pay standards!

Keep up the great work and keep the free pools alive!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7675
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:33:56  Reply with Quote
pickuphockey.com is a joke this is my fisrt year here and its garbage compared to other sites.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4055
( )

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  18:55:47  Reply with Quote
This is the best site on this planet! Where else will you get free serice which if almost 99% up!!

Well done Pickuphockey!
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  23:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only problem they have ever had in the years I've been here is the long updates this year. and those have only happened half a dozen times or so this season. let them get the problem fixed. The software has lots of features and it gets better every year so chill out.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9964
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  01:19:17  Reply with Quote
No offence intended to everyone who is saying to chill out. I too have been here since the inception of pickuphockey pools.

Being late with points is one thing that my poolies and I can deal with, but being wrong with points is a completely different thing.

Come on you guys, get your act together. If you dont know how to fix the system then find someone who does. I appreciate that this is a free site for us users but the banners running all around the website arent free and its not like all the hours you are putting into this are going unrewarded. You have had it smooth sailing for many years now. Clearly something has changed, or the system wouldnt be so screwed up.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0596
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  04:56:11  Reply with Quote
still no update 8 am eastern and only 2 games last night, clearly something wrong now. Hopefully you guys figure this out cause its gonna get harder to keep people happy.

Loved the banner comment b4 me, so true.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4124
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:47:10  Reply with Quote
Could it have something to do with the fact that the nhl itself seems to have changed things up on their own web site? if they also changed the way they encrypt information or something this could be affecting things on this end?
Go to Top of Page

Guest7675
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  07:29:16  Reply with Quote
Everyone in my pool is angry , better get your act together.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  09:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think some of you guys really need to lay of the caffeine or something. Ask yourself how much this is costing you, and then go to the store and try and get something for that price.

Admin guys, your efforts are appreciated. As long as the points are calculated correctly at the end of the year (and I win of course), I have no complaints.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  09:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4124

Could it have something to do with the fact that the nhl itself seems to have changed things up on their own web site? if they also changed the way they encrypt information or something this could be affecting things on this end?

No not related at all.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  09:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9964

No offence intended to everyone who is saying to chill out. I too have been here since the inception of pickuphockey pools.

Being late with points is one thing that my poolies and I can deal with, but being wrong with points is a completely different thing.

Come on you guys, get your act together. If you dont know how to fix the system then find someone who does. I appreciate that this is a free site for us users but the banners running all around the website arent free and its not like all the hours you are putting into this are going unrewarded. You have had it smooth sailing for many years now. Clearly something has changed, or the system wouldnt be so screwed up.

Ok these two problems are connected. What I mean is that we were aware that the LAK and DAL game was not run in the batch the previous night. BUT we could not add it or stop because the batch would have to start all over again...and since we know the batch would take a long time we could not afford to do that. Rather we needed to just let it roll into the next one. So the fact that the LAK/DAL game points not being in was a symptom of the batch run problem.

The accuracy of our stats is very excellent, you may not know this but the NHL changes its stats all the time due to assists being changed around and plus minus being corrected on their end etc. So for this reason we do a rolling reconciliation of our stats where we constantly compare our stats and keep it up to date. Usually weekly we do a complete roll through all the teams and update any changes (which are mostly just +/- and the odd PIM or assist change)

As you can see we are waiting for Sunday's stats to update Monday morning too.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  09:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

[quote][i]I appreciate that this is a free site for us users but the banners running all around the website aren't free and its not like all the hours you are putting into this are going unrewarded.

The banners do not even come close to paying for the site, let alone the time we invest. This is a labour of love my friend. And on a stat holiday long weekend I can tell you I have not seen much of my family. This is not a complaint...just a matter of fact.

Regardless, we keep trying to find the problem and fix it. The stats will be updated today (as they do every day!!!) but the time at which they will finish is not yet known.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2144
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  09:53:24  Reply with Quote
Every one shoulod chill the ef out... who cares if the stats take a little longer, If peple in your pool are freaking out then the are losers. its just a hockey pool. Thanks pickuphockey don't let the freaks get you down!!! peace
Go to Top of Page

Guest9208
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  10:30:46  Reply with Quote
You haters and complainers really really need to get a life. Are you kidding me ragging on these guys ? It is FREE...SO RELAX ! Big deal the stats are delayed a day or two. It is a free service. Just be happy someone is doing all this work for you. If you really can't stand it, sign up to another site where you pay for it and leave the rest of us alone.

Thanks pickuphockey. Keep up the great work.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6816
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  10:54:04  Reply with Quote
I'd like to make a suggestion to the Admin/developers of the site:

Can you add a notification banner (maybe above the last updated timestamp) when a batch update is running late, or a generic issue affecting all users?. I believe this will alleviate 95% of the concerns of the pool users, and will reduce the number of forum posts.

The following information would be great:

- Current Status
- Expected Time of Resolution

If you don't know when the issue will be resolved, you could say for example: Resolution time unknown, next update in 1 hour.

As long as the users have a current visible status indicator, then I believe most will be patient and understand.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7583
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  11:09:26  Reply with Quote
I do feel a bit for the first-year poolies at this site because they wouldn't have known any better but as a veteran of both pickuphockey and officepools, i still say this site wins hands down. It's got better and more accessible information, easier on the eyes, and the price is right.

As for the updates, its like I've said before. If your day physically can't begin until you see your updated stats first thing in the morning then there's not much anyone can do for you. Get well soon.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4457
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  11:35:17  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9964

Well said.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  13:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6816

I'd like to make a suggestion to the Admin/developers of the site:

Can you add a notification banner (maybe above the last updated timestamp) when a batch update is running late, or a generic issue affecting all users?. I believe this will alleviate 95% of the concerns of the pool users, and will reduce the number of forum posts.

The following information would be great:

- Current Status
- Expected Time of Resolution

If you don't know when the issue will be resolved, you could say for example: Resolution time unknown, next update in 1 hour.

As long as the users have a current visible status indicator, then I believe most will be patient and understand.

Thanks!

Hi guest 6816. That is a great suggestion and if fact it already exists. When you first log into your pool the admin message board pops up with system wide info and updates for our users as well as a message board for your personal pool administrator to reach their entire pool. I suspect that you may have pop ups blocked. Please set your browser to allow pop ups from us (we won't spam you)

Thank you for your very constructive feedback. When we do a face lift for the site we will improve this feature and likely remove it from being a pop up to improve its effectiveness.

This week we will also add to the last update timestamp so it says something like "stats update in progress".
Go to Top of Page

Guest4965
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  13:35:25  Reply with Quote
now im beginning to worry,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

Guest0596
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  13:41:31  Reply with Quote
Just run 2 simultaneous pools one here and one on another website, thats what i do.

So at least when one isnt too par, not saying this one since my other pool also had some mistakes in it, you have a backup.

And for everyone saying to chill out, you have to understand that if your the pool admin you get it from the people in your pool so you wright a comment on the forum to see whats going on.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page