Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 10 Smartest Hockey Players All Time Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  15:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=345319

Wow, just wow!

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore

Ottawa Oilers
Rookie

150 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  15:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus, as I am only 13 and have only watched Mario Lemieux, Ray Bourque and Nik Lidstrom play please describe the "wow" to me. Wow it's a bad list? Wow it's way off the mark? Wow it's my exact list? Please explain.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  16:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Bobby Orr. That is insane, especially because he at least deserves to be in the top 10.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  16:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ottawa Oilers

Willus, as I am only 13 and have only watched Mario Lemieux, Ray Bourque and Nik Lidstrom play please describe the "wow" to me. Wow it's a bad list? Wow it's way off the mark? Wow it's my exact list? Please explain.

It's actually a really good list. It just has one very glaring omission. It's argued by many (including me) that Orr is the best player ever. You don't get to be considered the best player ever without the best brain. The reasoning he used is flawed logic.

"Orr's not on my list because his skating and shooting skills overwhelmed his intellectual contribution just as they overwhelmed every other player in the League. I've never seen a player dominate NHL players the way Orr did in his prime – not even Gretzky, probably because “The Great One” wasn't as strong."

His physical gifts overshadowed his mental ability? Clearly he wasn't paying attention. His mental gift is what allowed his physical gifts to be so evident. There are countless guys with all the physical talent in the world and no brain that do absolutely nothing.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Ottawa Oilers
Rookie

150 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  16:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see thanks for the clarification.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4619
( )

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  16:33:33  Reply with Quote
i may not agree with every ranking, i think this is the best list I have ever seen..I'm very impressed with how much you did your homework and how much you went into depth..
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  03:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not quite star category but I always thought Dave Poulin was an exceptionally smart hockey player.

And I'm glad Ratelle got mentioned. To me he is somewhere up there on this list, fairly high up there on a "most underrated ever" list, and very high up there on a "classiest ever" list.

I'm in Japan right now by the way. I'll take this question to the streets tomorrow and see what I come back with for you. My guess is that of the twenty million Japanese people who I`ll put the question to, 19,999,999 will say, with a slightly bewildered smile on their face, "What the FFFF are you talking about" [rough translation/interpretation of very polite Japanese] and one will say "Kariya-san".
Go to Top of Page

Guest7007
( )

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  04:54:41  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3
His physical gifts overshadowed his mental ability? Clearly he wasn't paying attention. His mental gift is what allowed his physical gifts to be so evident. There are countless guys with all the physical talent in the world and no brain that do absolutely nothing.

But at least Orr was in the top 20 of all time. That's pretty good isn't it. Isn't that what you said about Gretz not being in your top 10 as greatest of all time?
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  14:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Yzerman deserves a spot on the list. Keon? I'd rather have Yzerman.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  15:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

I think Yzerman deserves a spot on the list. Keon? I'd rather have Yzerman.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Why?

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  08:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yzerman was a very smart player.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all the NHL players should take an IQ test, and that should answer the question for us...

I remember "Night Court", (some of you may be too young) when they all took an IQ test.

The Judge (Harry Anderson), DA (John Larroquette), and defending lawyer (Markie Post) thought that they would all be the smartest. It turned out to be Bull Shannon (Richard Moll) the Baliff.

He had his paper in front of him, and read it out loud "181", the judge said you are reading it upside down, he turned the paper around, and read "181"...

Just like Bull, Chara, Boogaard, and Bealk are the smartest...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page