Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Would you want to see a movie about this player? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  17:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What hockey player's life and times do you think would make the most interesting movie?

I didn't include the Rocket because they already made one about him. Same goes for Brian Spinner Spencer.

I put in the big 4, but I actually think there probably are a lot of other guys whose stories may be more interesting. If you don't know about Harvey for instance, you should read up on him and his relationship with the owners of the Habs, amongst other things.

Some not on the list below who come to mind for instance are:

Ken Dryden
Bobby Clarke (like him or hate him, he was/is interesting)
King Clancy
Eddie Shore
Toe Blake
Derek Sanderson (there was a book in the '70s called "I've got to be me" about him which was fascinating)

I'm sure there are many more. Some might say Fogarty and/or Kordic might make a good movie for example - sort of along the lines of the tragic Spencer story.

Choices:

Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Bobby Orr
Gordie Howe
Doug Harvey
Jacque Plante
Red Kelly
Other (please name)

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  17:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

What hockey player's life and times do you think would make the most interesting movie?

I didn't include the Rocket because they already made one about him. Same goes for Brian Spinner Spencer.

I put in the big 4, but I actually think there probably are a lot of other guys whose stories may be more interesting. If you don't know about Harvey for instance, you should read up on him and his relationship with the owners of the Habs, amongst other things.

Some not on the list below who come to mind for instance are:

Ken Dryden
Bobby Clarke (like him or hate him, he was/is interesting)
King Clancy
Eddie Shore
Toe Blake
Derek Sanderson (there was a book in the '70s called "I've got to be me" about him which was fascinating)

I'm sure there are many more. Some might say Fogarty and/or Kordic might make a good movie for example - sort of along the lines of the tragic Spencer story.

I read the book on Harvey - thats a movie for sure.

I am Ogopogo
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  17:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the movie doesn't necessarily have to be about a retired player. They'd certainly be interesting subjects for films, but some current players would be too. Personally I think Malkin would make a cool movie. The clandestine disappearance from Russia, the NHL vs. Metallurg hunt for him where no one knew where he was, the Penguins lawsuit, and him playing so well in the NHL tying the 1917 rookie record when he can't even speak the same language as his teammates. That would be cool.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  17:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many I would like to see movies about: Willie O'Ree; Phil Esposito; Bobby Baun; Alfie Moore; Lanny McDonald; ... but my'vote went to 'other' as I would really be interested in the different perspectives flushed out by a movie on Igor Larionov and what he endured through his career and then breaking into the NHL in his later years.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  17:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy this poll is incredible! I'd love to feature it on the home page but it's too long. Because you always put great polls together can i ask a favour? Can you put your comments and personal insight into a post below the poll itself? This way I can fit it on the home page. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  20:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordie Howe for sure...he played over such a long period of time...that movied be long as hell man haha

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  03:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some were such amazing characters (King Clancy, any old-time goalie, the Gas-House Gang Maple Leafs etc.) and some historical importance (Willie O'Ree - good suggestion tctitans). It is so difficult to pick, but I was thinking how interesting it would be to see one on King Clancy.

An entertaining, but painful, one would be Harold Ballard.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  06:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually heard a rumour they were making a Bobby Orr movie. Matt Damon playing him. Probably just a rumour.

Goalies seem to have interesting stories. Or at least stories that would make good movies.
Johnny Bower has the life story of the classic feel good movie. He seemed destined to spend his career in the minors as he played his first 14 seasons there with the exception of one year with the Rangers. Then he gets called up by the Leafs in 58 and won 3 Cups in a row with them from 62-64 and one more in 67 and when he was 43 years old. Pretty great stuff there.

Terry Sawchuk would be another good movie but not the feel good variety. An amazing goalie but a very troubled person who had an unfortunate incident that took his life at 40.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

Edited by - willus3 on 05/24/2007 06:32:59
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  07:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin - thanks, and I'll put the comments elsewhere in the future.

Some great suggestions here. I suppose it depends a bit on what kind of movies you like as well as what aspect of hockey you want reflected in the movie.

A troubled guy like Sawchuk, or another guy with some depression battles like Frank Mahovlich for instance, probably has more than enough to full a movie (Sawchuk in particular cause of the ending Willus is refering to). On the other hand, guys like Dryden and Kelly made it into politics - that's pretty unusual and very interesting in a documentary form, but does it make for a good story for a movie - maybe not.

Willie O'Ree's story is fascinating but overall, the one that just jumps out to me as movie material, covering the widest spectrum of "hockey stories" as well as "societal issues" is the story of Doug Harvey. The story would include his pioneering the player's association, the wrath he took from his owners for that, his battle with alcoholism, bi-polar disorder, and the story could be told in a kind of "controversial star to struggling retiree" way. The guy was the best defenceman in the game at his time - one of the greatest players ever, and yet there is this kind of tragic aura to his story. That's a movie!

The "big 4" guys - they all have interesting aspects, but if I had to pick one of them, it would be Orr cause of the Al Eagleson aspect to his story. I still love the fact that the day that press conference where Brewer, Park and a whole bunch of other famous players joyfully gave their thoughts on Eagleson getting what was due to him, a quiet guy stood in the back of the jam-packed room, out of the spotlight saying nothing. He was none other than Al Eagleson's Number 1 victim, Bobby Orr.

Edit: Another thing I like about the Harvey story is the crossover aspect between the two eras of hockey - the golden age of the 50s into the expansion years of the late 60s

Edited by - andyhack on 05/24/2007 07:26:11
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  07:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harvey would be a fantastic movie Andy.
Another that you reminded me of with your comments about Harvey is "Terrible" Ted Lindsay who worked hand in hand with Harvey to start the players union. He retired one of the best in the game and went on to be a successful GM for Detroit.
Maybe not quite as drama filled as the Harvey story as there wasn't the depression and alcoholism, but still a good story there I think.

Go to Top of Page

bonfire420
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  08:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about Theo Fleury? Lots of drama there. Probert would also be a good one.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  11:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bonfire420

I totally agree, I think Theo would be a great hockey movie. Super small guy 5'6" who wasn't supposed to make it. Comes in and dominates a big man's game. Wins the Cup in his first year and contributes to the win! Olympic gold medalist. World Junior Gold. Canada Cup Gold. He owns several Junior, NHL, and club records. Rarely less than 100 minutes in penalties per season. Substance abuse issues. Crohn's Disease. A big thorn in everyone's side including his own teammates. Love him or hate him, the guy wore his heart on his sleeve! A movie of his life would be incredibly entertaining! But he is only 38 years old and there is likely a lot more drama to come (although I hope he finally has his life straightened away because I've always been a fan)

Edited by - leigh on 05/24/2007 11:42:38
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  11:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

I totally agree, I think Theo would be a great hockey movie. Super small guy 5'6" who wasn't supposed to make it. Comes in and dominates a big man's game. Wins the Cup in his first year and contributes to the win! Olympic gold medalist. World Junior Gold. Canada Cup Gold. He owns several Junior, NHL, and club records. Rarely less than 100 minutes in penalties per season. Substance abuse issues. Crohn's Disease. A big thorn in everyone's side including his own teammates. Love him or hate him, the guy wore his heart on his sleeve! A movie of his life would be incredibly entertaining! But he is only 38 years old and there is likely a lot more drama to come (although I hope he finally has his life straightened away because I've always been a fan)

Gawd I hate Fleury. They could make a movie of all the times he cheap-shotted someone and then turtled.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  13:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below is from detroitredwings.com:

"If there were a Hall of Fame for nice guys, Leonard (Red) Kelly would be a first-ballot inductee. Red Kelly is the greatest man I've ever met," longtime Detroit and Toronto teammate Marcel Pronovost said. "He's the most honest, most dedicated and possibly the most intelligent."

Hmmm, snoozer of a movie perhaps? I do think that there are interesting things about the guy though - was a boxer, was Mr. Clean, never drinking or smoking, was an MP, etc. I guess I feel sorry for him cause he is getting no votes.

As mentioned, a documentary would be cool. He has two very interesting unique things to his credit - 1) he was great as both a forward and as a defenceman, and 2) no other player in history won more Cups than him without playing on the Habs. Man, if only they could dig up something dirty on him, maybe they could have a movie! Hold it, the guy almost sounds too nice to be a human being. Hmmm, "Close Encounters of a Hockey Kind"

As for those who are voting Gretzky, I have one question. Are you assuming the poolboy-Janet scenario may be more than just our creative minds at work?!!! I mean, barring that, I would find that movie relatively boring compared to some of these other stories. The Pocklington/McNall stuff would be a little bit interesting, yes, but I don't know, after that I think unless the plot shifts to Janet and the poolboy doing something more than just placing bets together, you're going to have the audiences leaving mid-way and running over to the next theatre to catch Rocky 77.

Edited by - andyhack on 05/24/2007 13:07:08
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  14:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[Are you assuming the poolboy-Janet scenario may be more than just our creative minds at work?!!!

I change my vote to Gretzky.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  14:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:
[Are you assuming the poolboy-Janet scenario may be more than just our creative minds at work?!!!

I change my vote to Gretzky.

Cue the bon-chikaa-wowow music.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  14:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TC - I personally think she is THE GREATEST ACTRESS EVER, so I was quite surprised to hear that Janet failed her screen test for the role of Janet Gretzky in this movie. That's gotta hurt!

Oh, and by the way, many don't know this but Stallone approached Ray Bourque to appear in Rocky 77, but he declined saying he wanted to spend time with his family. Many in Philly hold that against Ray...

Let it go Andy, let it go

Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  14:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and by the way, many don't know this but Stallone approached Ray Bourque to appear in Rocky 77, but he declined saying he wanted to spend time with his family. Many in Philly hold that against Ray...Let it go Andy, let it go

Priceless Andy. Priceless!
Go to Top of Page

bonfire420
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  15:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got another idea... how about a movie based on a hockey team in Alaska??? There could be an amateur hockey team in Alaska that accepts a challenge to play against an NHL team (the Rangers??!). The entire town population must put their petty differences aside and pull together as their small town becomes the center of a nationally televised event!!! I think it's gold.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  16:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I got another idea... how about a movie based on a hockey team in Alaska??? There could be an amateur hockey team in Alaska that accepts a challenge to play against an NHL team (the Rangers??!). The entire town population must put their petty differences aside and pull together as their small town becomes the center of a nationally televised event!!! I think it's gold.

It's crap. Unless of course we can get some famous actors who can't even skate...like maybe Russel Crowe...then it might have a chance.

Edited by - leigh on 05/24/2007 17:37:17
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  18:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always thought of adding another team in Alaska, but one, there's probably not enough population, and two, it's so far out of the way that travel would be an inconvenience. Too bad though, they like hockey up there.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  14:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It occurred to me when we were debating Lindros a couple of weeks ago that his story might make a good movie. His various controversies have some interesting story lines and raise questions which challenge our conventional ways of thinking about NHL players having to play for the team that drafts them.

I also think Bobby Clarke's story, and the Broad Street Bullie's story in general, might make an excellent movie. I mean that was a really crazy time and, no matter how much that era may disgust us, it WAS an interesting time and those crazy Flyers did put hockey on the cover of Time Magazine. In fact, they can use the same heading for the title of the movie, "War on Ice".

It would have Clarke's making his way up from Flin Flon and battling diabetes along the way (pretty incredible actually) as well as the whole '70s aura thing going on (which you know I would love!). It would also have the infamous '72 Clarke-Kharlamov fiasco, the memorable Red Army "They're going home" incident, Parent's heroics against Orr and the Bruins, the "Fog" series with Buffalo, characters named "Hammer", "Hound Dog" and "Big Bird", the rising of the great Hab dynasty and so on.

What do you think? Could Scorcese do something with this?

Here is a clip from that Red Army game by the way. What a great call from the play-by-play guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_jFoB3RQM

Chalk up another one to the '70s!

Edited by - andyhack on 11/26/2007 14:46:32
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  15:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about Barilko? The movie theme song is already there, with the Hip's, "Fifty Mission Cap".

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  15:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Oil, I have seen a mostly black and white documentary on Bill Barilko. It was very interesting but I do not think apart from the main storyline there is enough substance to make a big screen movie. His life, apart from the winning Cup goal and the diappearing on a fishing trip right after, was pretty normal and reserved. Everyone already knows what happened already.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  03:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

Not sure if this is true or not, but a guy I know from Calgary said he met Fleury the other day, said he owns some type of company. (lawn company perhaps, I forget now.)

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  10:15:12  Reply with Quote
Gordie would make a great movie, they could show his decision on his retirement and when he made it to the all star game at 50 and they could do a clip on all of his sick fights, goals and most importantly the old Gordie Howe elbows
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  08:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don Cherry...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

juice32
Rookie

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  09:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'd personally like to see a movie on Mark Bell. Think about it. you know it would be intresting.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  11:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Craig McTavish story might be interesting.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

bluengold85
Top Prospect

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  12:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irvine...yeah ur right Theo and his wife Jen own a concrete business that they run out in Calgary. Apparently its pretty successful. I must say a movie about someone like lindros, or possibly messier would be great. lindros for obvious reasons and messier just cause i dont know many ppl that dont like the guy. who wouldnt sit and watch "In the life of the Moose"
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  11:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne Gretzky is simply unbelievable. The thing is, do people really want to watch an hour and something of broken records and amazing achievements? Doesn't it get old? Maybe not for diehards...

Personally, you just have to take Super Mario out of this question. He is SUCH a story I can't see why anyone wouldn't chose him. Hodgkinds, heart, back... and yet back to back stanley cups, coming out of retirement, gold medal olympics

This guy was Hollywood on ice. And off.

Kipper for Lundqvist?
Go to Top of Page

Guest7170
( )

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  23:52:23  Reply with Quote
How about Lindros. Refusing to sign with the Nordiques, rising to the top, keeping his head down, getting concussions, almost dying in a bathtub, having the GM hate you, being outcasted and finally making it to the team he wanted to play for in the beginning. It would make a good drama.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  05:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good poll! My first thoughts went to Bill Barilko, and Theo Fleury . . . if Lindros was a nicer guy, he would get stronger consideration. If only he hadn't been such a pompous ass who wanted to go a round with me and my buddy, a bouncer at the Lyric nightclub.

But after some thought, I think a movie about TWO players would be the best - a movie with international flair, great hockey, starting off in a new country, the glory of winning the cup, the tragedy of a horrible car accident soon afterward - and, of course, redemption at the end, big finish.

I'm talking Viacheslav Fetisov, and Vlad ("the impaler") Konstantinov.

btw, I am a sad-sack Leafs fan, so you know how hard this must be for me to promote a hockey movie with the Detroit Red Wings front and center . . . but really, I see HOLLYWOOD written all over this one!

I could be dreaming.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  05:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's very sad with Lindros. His parents were a big part of his atitude. They force fed him the ideas they had for him. Do a little research. A movie that would cover that would definitely be worth watching.

On the other hand: what about watching a movie about, say, the Sutters, or, the Staals? Now there is a good one! I would love to watch that! Ken Dryden is also enticing. Re-scheduling the law exams so he can play in the playoffs - whoo!

Kipper for Lundqvist?
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  12:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 hours of why Lindros didn't want to play for the Nourdiques?

I'd rather watch the wind blow.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 12/03/2007 12:48:57
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  15:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only that! Everyone saying he was the next Gretzky, his junior years, his amazing years followed by injury-plagued seasons... The guy had drama following him like a dog with a bone.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  15:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby has that already, the guy isn;'t even 25. Maybe he should be the next hockey movie.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  16:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Good poll! My first thoughts went to Bill Barilko, and Theo Fleury . . .
Careful, there, slozo. I already got bitch-slapped once for suggesting Barilko. Maybe a more intriguing hockey figure from the Leafs. There are plenty of underacheiving, scrawny hacks, who will never come close to the cup on that team. It may be a great fantasy movie to see several of them perish in a plane crash.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4011
( )

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  18:57:08  Reply with Quote
Jordin Too Too would make a good story first Inuit to make the NHL. A real underdog story.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  19:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A movie about Fred Saskamoose would be good.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4619
( )

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  16:36:01  Reply with Quote
LORD STANLEY
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page