Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Malkin does Western Canada Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  08:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How bout that Malkin, eh? He's in his second year in the show. He is in the top ten in scoring. He's strong on his feet. He has great moves. He may very well be "the Next one"!!!!!

So why is it that the penguins Western Canada trip is being dubbed Route 87? Why is that specific player getting press conferences, while I haven't seen Malkin in an interview....

Moreover, I wonder if the next time Tampa Bay comes to Vancouver, nose-bleed tickets sell for $250. All I can say is BAAAAAAAAAAAAH to all of you people out there who give into the hype.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  09:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Malkin could do an interview but you'd have to learn the Russian language to understand it.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  09:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simple, because of the following:

- Crosby is in his third year and is currently 2nd in scoring.
- Crosby won the Art Ross & Hart trophies in his second year.
- Crosby is Canadian. Considering that he’s on his first trip of western Canada, they’re playing the good ol’ Canadian boy card.
- Crosby is easier to understand.
- Crosby is more marketable.
- Crosby is the better player as of right now.

I’m sure the same thing happened when Gretzky started in the league. I bet you never heard anything about Messier coming to town, because it was overshadowed by Gretz.

I read an interesting article the other day. In short it stated that Gretzky put Hockey on the map in the U.S. Crosby is doing the same thing for the internet. He’s the first Cyber star of the NHL.

Lets face it, you’re not going to see the end of him anytime soon, so stop complaining. As long as he keeps producing at the rate he is, he’ll be around for a long time.

Excellent marketing on the part of the NHL. One of the few things they should be proud of from a marketing standpoint.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  10:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The third point of this last post is exactly why. If Malkin was Canadian, you would hear comparisons to the late 80's with Gretzky and Lemieux.

And I disagree with the marketing being good. I think the NHL has success with Gretzky and are trying it again with Crosby. If you look at the other big 4 sports in North America, they market all of their superstars. The only guy that was a marketed a little more was Jordan. Look at the marketing of every other sport and they talk about all the superstars, not just one.

I think the NHL could learn a thing or two about marketing from the other sports. The way they are doing it now, they are only marketing a small number of games that Crosby is involved in. If they took the top players from each team and push it properly, you are hyping a who lot more games. The Lecavalier vs. Ovechkin, Jokinen vs. Staal, Sundin vs. Alfie, Luongo vs. Broduer. Thornton vs. Iginla, Kopitar vs. Getzlaf. There are tons and tons on tons of possible marketing angles that the NHL doesn't use. Hence the big gate numbers when Sid is in town and lower numbers the other games in those smaller market US Cities.

The NHL is doing a horrible marketing job, not an excellent one.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  11:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I should clarify.

You’re right, in general, the NHL is doing a horrible job of marketing. However, this part of it I like. They are marketing the hell out of Crosby, because people seem to like him.

Should they be marketing other guys? Yes, of course they should. I loved the My NHL commercials. I thought that would be a start, but apparently it was a one year thing. Still can’t forget the Swedish twins commercial. Too funny.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  11:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not the NHL that is building up the Crosby swing in the west, it is the media...

I have not seen an NHL sponsored commercial, or advertisement, if any of you have, post it I would like to see it...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  11:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Its not the NHL that is building up the Crosby swing in the west, it is the media...

I have not seen an NHL sponsored commercial, or advertisement, if any of you have, post it I would like to see it...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Does that not make the marketing still by the NHL but indirectly. You have to assume that when a TV station signes an agreement with the NHL to cover games that there are not marketing agreements in place as well??

Go to Top of Page

Greg Smith
Rookie

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  12:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkalirah

I guess I should clarify.

You’re right, in general, the NHL is doing a horrible job of marketing. However, this part of it I like. They are marketing the hell out of Crosby, because people seem to like him.

Go Wings Go!

I think the Crosby angle is way better than there, fighting in hockey makes US viewers interested. I think the NHl is going to milk Crosby until he's dry. Both him and ovechkin draw a crowd in the US as well.

Edited by - Greg Smith on 12/07/2007 12:48:05
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  15:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another thing....Tonight, I hope we all get to see who is the REAL mvp of the league (bobby-loo!!!)...No one seems to be mentioning that the Penguins are going up against the best goalie in thge league.

Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  15:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

And another thing....Tonight, I hope we all get to see who is the REAL mvp of the league (bobby-loo!!!)...No one seems to be mentioning that the Penguins are going up against the best goalie in thge league.

They are mentioning that he is. In fact, Crosby himself did.

At a press conference this morning, one of 6 in 5 days (or vice versa,) he mentioned he is in fact facing Luongo, the best goaltender in the league (well, Brodeur is there also,) and he also mentioned he does not believe Luongo has weaknesses.

Seems almost like he complimented him, in my opinion.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest7173
( )

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  08:14:25  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The third point of this last post is exactly why. If Malkin was Canadian, you would hear comparisons to the late 80's with Gretzky and Lemieux.

And I disagree with the marketing being good. I think the NHL has success with Gretzky and are trying it again with Crosby. If you look at the other big 4 sports in North America, they market all of their superstars. The only guy that was a marketed a little more was Jordan. Look at the marketing of every other sport and they talk about all the superstars, not just one.

I think the NHL could learn a thing or two about marketing from the other sports. The way they are doing it now, they are only marketing a small number of games that Crosby is involved in. If they took the top players from each team and push it properly, you are hyping a who lot more games. The Lecavalier vs. Ovechkin, Jokinen vs. Staal, Sundin vs. Alfie, Luongo vs. Broduer. Thornton vs. Iginla, Kopitar vs. Getzlaf. There are tons and tons on tons of possible marketing angles that the NHL doesn't use. Hence the big gate numbers when Sid is in town and lower numbers the other games in those smaller market US Cities.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9656
( )

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  11:46:17  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Hey what about the commercial with Martin St. Louis and Joe Thornton for Vector Cereal? That is one of cheesiest commercials I've ever seen. Just goes to show that they will never do hockey player commercials well. Even look at the one with Tony the Tiger. What is up with all of that stupid nonsense with guys flicking the puck in the air over the other player's back and then another comes and smacks it out of the air....just plain old cheese
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page