Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Worst Trades Ever! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  10:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the trade deadline fast approaching, I got to thinking about trades made in years past.

I realized that while most trades make sense for all parties involved, however there have been some pretty lopsided ones over the years.

The first one that comes to mind is Ottawa trading Alexei Yashin to the Islanders for Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt, & their 2001 1st round pick (Jason Spezza).

Imagine where the Islanders would be with both Chara and Spezza in their lineup?

Go Wings Go!

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  10:26:11  Reply with Quote
obviously, its the thornton trade that sent Sturm, Stuart and Wayne Primeau. 2 of the players that Boston picked up dont even play there anymore and Thornton has picked up an Art Ross, Hart, two seasons with 90+ assists and 2 straight entrances into the NHL playoffs.

WORST trade in history
Go to Top of Page

Guest8372
( )

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  11:46:42  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4912

obviously, its the thornton trade that sent Sturm, Stuart and Wayne Primeau. 2 of the players that Boston picked up dont even play there anymore and Thornton has picked up an Art Ross, Hart, two seasons with 90+ assists and 2 straight entrances into the NHL playoffs.

WORST trade in history

That was a bad trade but worst trade in history??? Slight exaggeration considering the Lindros trade, the Guy Lafleur trade, the Luongo trade.

Boston has been making some terrible trades of late. I mean Boyes for Widerman? Not to mention Jumbo Joe's trade.

How about Tkachuk or Forsberg trade last year? Terrible price to pay for these rentals.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6727
( )

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  12:27:46  Reply with Quote
Leafs send their first round pick (Scott Neidermayer) for Tom Kurvers
or sending the pick that ending up being Mike Cammaleri to LA for AKi Berg
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  14:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the old days, Boston made same good trades.

Here's one:

After the 1977-1978 season they traded away one of their goalies, Ron Grahame, to the L.A. Kings for a first round pick in the '79 draft.

After the trade Ron Grahame played parts of four more NHL seasons with a goals against average ranging from 4.19 to 5.47.

The guy Boston got - well, I'd say he did more than okay!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  15:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who did Boston get?

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  15:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex they got Ray Bourque.

A good trade for Toronto would be getting Mats Sundin and Garth Butcher for Wendel Clark, Todd Warriner and Slyvain Lefebre.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On March 13 1996 Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider, and D.J. Smith from the NY Islanders for Kenny Jonsson, Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggarty, and the Leafs’ 1st round selection in 1997 (Roberto Luongo)...

Of coarse you know that this means war!
- - Bugs Bunny

http://www.maldesigns.ca/top50since1967.htm

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are so many factors that one might considered when evaluating a trade. Only time will tell. Sometimes the trade works out great, others don't work so well. Hindsight is always 20/20

Here's another to consider. Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch, and Jeff Woywitka for Chris Pronger. Good Trade???

Then, consider Pronger for Lupul, Smid, 2-1st round picks, and a 2nd round pick. Is that a good Trade?

Then, look at Lupul and Smith for Pitkanen and Sanderson. Good Trade??

Then look at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks for Penner in an offer sheet.

In the end, if you look through all of this, it's hard to see if any of these are a good trade. However, consider this:

From the Oilers:
Smith
Brewer
2 Weak Prospects
3rd round draft pick

To the Oilers:
Penner
Smid
PItkanen
Sanderson
1st round draft pick

If that was the way it played out in one trade, Lowe would look like a God.

My point, rarely if ever is one trade stand alone. It is normally part of a plan of a GM.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCM/is_7_30/ai_84394817

Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  07:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about back in 1989 when the Leafs traded Russ Courtnall for John Kordic?

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  08:02:45  Reply with Quote
(Trades as of late)
1.Thornton
2.Luongo
3.Pronger-Lupul trade
Go to Top of Page

Guest7693
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  09:02:34  Reply with Quote
Toronto sending Russ Courtnall to the Habs for John Kordic would be the worst trade I can think of for the Leafs anyhow.

I don't like getting into trading draft picks for players however because hindsight is ...
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  10:07:55  Reply with Quote
i know he didint do that good with the oilers but i think they should of hang on to conklin a little longer with his resent victories its pretty obvious hes ready to play
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  13:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Conklin?? Seriously?? The same Conklin who had 30 wins in the previous 5 seasons combined?? The same guy who has play more games in the AHL than the NHL in those 5 years?? The same guy who given up on by 3 other teams before he gets hot with the Pens??

Conklin was a complete waste in Edmonton. It was a good day when he left the Oilers.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  14:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barry Pederson from Boston to Vancouver for Cam Heely...OUCH!!!

Edited by - Antroman on 01/17/2008 14:26:05
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  14:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the most interesting trades that have occurred in the recent past was the one that sent Joe Nieuwendyk to the Dallas Stars. They made the decision that short-term gain was at least equal to long-term potential. And it worked! They won the cup that year! Was it worth it, though,for what they gave up?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  14:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Short term I'd say yes, long term you're right, no....How many more cups would they have won with #12?

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  15:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys do me a favour and stop with the codes. I'm ignorant, sue me!

Who is number 12?

Go to Top of Page

Guest9722
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  15:11:39  Reply with Quote
Vancouver has made some noteworthy lopsided trades as mentioned above (Luongo-Bertuzzi, and Pederson-Neely) but also the following doozy:

From Pittsburgh, Markus Naslund for Alek Stojanov
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  16:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Guys do me a favour and stop with the codes. I'm ignorant, sue me!

Who is number 12?

Ja Rome is the boy we're talking about.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  16:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as much as I hate to say it, Dallas did the right thing. They might have had some better teams, no question, but from a hockey sense, they haven't been bad since 2000.

And I dont think we realize how much it does to win a cup in Texas where there is not such a big market. You should hear Ron Francis speak on the aftermath of their (Carolina) cup run in 03 versus that of the cup in 06.

Going far and not winning it all does not come close to winning it all. It is a whole new level.

Sure, the Stars may have won two times by now. But they wanted to cash in then, they wanted to keep the market fresh, and they did. I think it was smart in every way other than from a hindsight perspective which GMs do not have.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  18:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

Barry Pederson from Boston to Vancouver for Cam Heely...OUCH!!!

The thing about this trade that makes it so smart is that Barry Pederson actually was a VERY GOOD player.

Guys, read this, particularly the part about Pederson being on par with those HHOFers in the early part of his career. He's a pretty interesting story actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Pederson

Back to my point. You have to give Sinden A LOT of credit on this one. Bs fans actually weren't too happy about this trade. I remember, as a big Bs fans myself (did you know that about me?), a lot of us were hoping Barry could refind his pre-illness form, and we were actually not so keen on Neely after his so-so start in Vancouver. I don't know if it is the most lopsided trade ever, but it ranks very high in terms of both smarts and guts.

Edited by - andyhack on 01/17/2008 18:23:30
Go to Top of Page

Guest8541
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  19:15:25  Reply with Quote
correction. barry pederson for cam neely and a draft pick- glen wesley
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  21:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, forgot about the draft pick that turned into Wesley. I had Barry Pederson on my pool team at one time. Yes, he was avery good player at one time but the wheels definitely fell off and I think Harry Sinden must have had a cyrstal ball or something? His real interest was probably the draft pick and low and behold Cam Neely turned into a Hall Of Famer!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

cannella10
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  09:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New York Islanders traded Olli Jokien and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha. i think thats one of the more lop sided trades......even though luongo is in vancouver at that time he was a highly rated goalie and right now oli is the captain and has had numerous strong seasons.....i say thats one of the worst trades ....for new york lol
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:50:55  Reply with Quote
i know it was a great day when he left i celebrated more than anyone but im just saying maybe the media shouldnt of made such a big deal about it then he wasent that old he was pretty new yet he just had to find his legs i think
Go to Top of Page

Guest9925
( )

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  13:31:06  Reply with Quote
1. Desjardins, LeClair and Dionne (Montreal) for Recchi and a 3rd
Round pick (Philly)
2. Hasek (Chicago) for minor league goalie and late pick (Buffalo)
3. Thornton (Boston) to San Jose for Sturm, Primeau and Stuart (San
Jose)

But the shrewdest of them all....Sam Pollock trading Ralph Backstrom to LA to ensure LA would not finish last overall, and assuring the Habs they would get Guy Lafleur with Oakland's first pick.
Go to Top of Page

Devils Fanatic
Top Prospect

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  16:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jagr to the Ranger for Anson Carter.

Though Jagr really didn't want to stay in Washinton.

Devils fan since the 85-86 season
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  12:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Ottawa getting Christpher Olsson when they traded away Pavel Demitra.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  10:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought of another one. In 1993, the Winnipeg Jets traded Kris Draper to Detroit for $1. Yes, One dollar.

A couple more years and Draper will have played 1000 games, won an olympic gold medal, and became one of the best penalty killers in the league.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  12:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you kidding, 1 dollar?

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  14:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick Roy's trade to Colorado has to be one of the most lopsided trades ever.

And just to put it out there, what does everyone think of the Great One's original trade back in 1989?

TO LA:
Gretzky
McSorley
Krushelnyski

To the Oil:

Jimmy Carson
Martin Gélinas
three first round draft picks
1989 - Jason Soules
1991 - Tyler Wright / Martin Rucinsky
1993 - Jason Arnott / Nick Stajduhar
and cash (15$ million)

* two names for 91 and 93 since I'm not sure which pick was originally LA's.

Edited by - spade632 on 01/26/2008 14:08:37
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  15:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkalirah

I just thought of another one. In 1993, the Winnipeg Jets traded Kris Draper to Detroit for $1. Yes, One dollar.

A couple more years and Draper will have played 1000 games, won an olympic gold medal, and became one of the best penalty killers in the league.

Go Wings Go!

You have to give me the link to that story! Guys I don't know why that is so surprising considering Manhattan was handed over from the Natives for a couple of bracelets...

Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  16:05:08  Reply with Quote
Also Cy Young, To all you baseball fans. Was traded for a SUIT! Arguably the best pitcher ever to pitch was trade for a measly suit.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  10:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find that really insulting, who in their right mind would be happy to be traded for a dollar or a suit?

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  11:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I remember reading about Draper a few years ago, can't remember where. But the story is also on his Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Draper

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  11:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't find the story ... maybe want to copy and paste it? It could be that I am a sped. reader

Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  09:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drafted 62nd overall in the 1989 Draft by the Winnipeg Jets, Draper did not see much action in his early years. He is a rarity in that he played in the AHL and NHL before playing junior in the Ontario Hockey League. After playing just 20 games in the 4 seasons since he was drafted, he was traded to Detroit in 1993 for a dollar. Draper would quickly become a valuable fixture in Detroit's rotation.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  05:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one to think about:

The 1975-1976 season has ended. The Bruins trade once high scoring winger, Ken Hodge, to the Rangers for the then underperforming Rick Middleton.

From 1976 on Middleton put up a couple of 100 point seasons, three ninety point seasons and some other good seasons, and Cherry even got him to play well defensively.

Hodge? Well here's what they say at Legends of Hockey,

"That trade proved to be one of the most lopsided in NHL history. Hodge played just 96 more games in the NHL, while the Bruins received a young Rick Middleton, who would star with the team for over a decade to come."

Here are the 96 games:

1976-77 New York Rangers NHL 78 21 41 62
1977-78 New York Rangers NHL 18 2 4 6

Say what you will about Harry Sinden later on (and there is room for criticism), he has three or four absolutely brilliant moves on his resume.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  23:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about that 10 player deal between Calgary and Toronto back in the early nineties. Toronto got Gilmour, Macoun, Godynuk, Walmsley, and Manderville (I think) for Leeman, Reese, Petit and that's all I can remember. I couldn't believe it. It was as bad a trade as you would see in fantasy hockey where one guy is giving up.

Many of those other terrible trades involved draft picks that developed into major stars, or prospects that weren't figuring into their current teams' plans. But this one was outright egregious the minute it was revealed. I will never forget it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page