Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Farewell Ferguson! An Opinion Poll Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LeafsFanForLife
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  12:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Huge news in leafs country today, as of course many know they've fired GM John Ferguson Jr.
What do you think of the move?

.:
Don't talk about hockey if you don't know hockey.
:.

Choices:

Best Decision they could have made for a suffering leafs team.
He wasn''t really the problem (Specify what was).
Should''ve done it a long time ago.
Should''ve fired him over Quinn after the lockout. Long Over Due.
Too little too late.
More needs to be done (Specify What).

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  12:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's he's out and they've got Trader Cliff in, they've gotta start dismatling this horrible team.

That means trading away players for cap space, and young talent.

It may be harder to move some guys as compared to others. Sundin will be first, and if needed the leafs should look into trading Kaberle as well.

Guys like Kubina, McCabe, and Blake are going to be hard to move, but the right taker may be out there, I mean someone picked up Samsonov didn't they?

Other guys who can go are Tucker, Ponikarovsky and Antropov. These guys are making in or around $2 million if I'm not mistaken. Someone may want to add some depth to their team.

Last but not least, there are too many grinders on the team, e.g. Deveraux, Moore, Kilger.

Keepers include Stajan, White, Coliacovo (if he can stay healthy), Wellwood, Steen, Strallman. This may be the future of the Leafs, give them time, otherwise they may flourish in other cities. They've given up on too many young guys, e.g. Boyes, Sullivan, etc.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

LeafsFanForLife
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  12:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's exactly whats on everyones mind in Toronto, getting rid of the out-of-prime players that make up 80% of the team and 95% of the payroll- this also means getting back our draft picks which we threw away for useless players. If the leafs are going to improve, it has to start from the ground up, not the other way around.

.:
Don't talk about hockey if you don't know hockey.
:.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7191
( )

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  14:17:55  Reply with Quote
like it matters who the gm is, Leafs blow and will keep blowing, I don't think a 73 year old senior citizen is gonna do much for the team, is he gonna sign Syl Apps and Gordie Howe, those are his last clear memories!!!!have fun without a cup for another 40 years Leaf nation
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  14:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesnt matter who is the GM in Toronto because their not allowed to do their job the way they want to. You cant honestly tell me Ferguson put that team together and thought he had a chance to keep his job. The front office makes all the calls at the end of the day. The Leafs hire a GM just so they have someone to point at when things go South. Worst job in the show...GM of the Leafs.

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  16:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, enough already. Let us try to deal with facts instead of all this inuendo. Cliff Fletcher is the interim GM. He is only here to look after the team until a new GM is hired in the off season. Secondly, the team is not as bad as you people make it out to be. The fact is their are ten teams within six or seven points of each other in the Eastern Conference. Toronto is right in that mix. If you were to swap "one" star such as Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin or Backstrom over to Toronto then I am sure with the extra production and all the games they lost by a single goal that this team would be eight or ten points higher in the standings. This team like most others is capable of beating or losing to any of these others on any given night. I believe Fergie made some errors in judgement, especially with Raycroft but was not as bad a GM as he has been made out to be. You have to give him credit for some of the good things he has done like bringing Toskala into the fold for a relatively cheap price. The team is on the right track even though the standings do not show it at this juncture. We have several excellent prospects on the way up and our first round pick this year, plus who knows how the Sundin sweepstakes is going to turn out. The worst case senario is that he will sign on for another year here and that ain't no bad thing brothers. This club is only going to get better if left well enough alone and that is what scares me with Trader Cliff coming in without really knowing the team. There are a few things that need to be done but the younger nucleus needs to stay the course. I have my fingers crossed for sure. We got burned pretty bad with the forming of the New NHL and it has cost us a little these last two years but I'm confident if Fletch doesn't sell the farm the future looks very good.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  16:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey hkalirah: I would be more worried about your Red Wings right now. You couldn't trade Wellwood for a bag of hockey pucks at the moment. As for Boyes anyone would have traded him. A perfect example was the fact that Boston gave up on him after the Leafs did. How long are you supposed to wait for a guy to grow up. This is a one dimensional hockey player. Sometimes when you are trying to make a run for the Cup and are dealing from strength it is prudent to trade a smallish asset like Sullivan for something you need. The NHL is littered with players that have been traded for one reason or another. Only a Leaf basher could dredge up old crap like that now and use it to make a point. Every team in the league has made trades and cuts they regret. It is just the nature of the business.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  16:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antroman, well put, however please read my post again.

I said that Wellwood is one of the players the leafs should keep. I strongly believe the way to make the leafs better is through prospects, young established talent and the draft.

As for Brad Boyes, Boston make the same mistake the Leafs did. Boyes had an amazing rookie year, which was overshadowed by the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin. He slumped a little last year, but still had decent numbers for a softmore. I'd bet that the there isn't one team in the league that wouldn't like this guy on their squad.

Sullivan was let go on waivers, because Pat Quinn gave up on him.

My point to all of this is that the Leafs need to be a little more patient with their young talent. If they do that, the future looks bright.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  18:14:12  Reply with Quote
No offense LeafsFanForLife but this poll is terrible! It is completely one sided. You've offered 5 "fire" options that are essentially the same thing and one little reprieve for Ferguson. Next time put some thought into your poll and offer 2 or 4 well thought options with opposing choices. I am abstaining because the pool offers NO VALUE! In fact if I were the admin or a moderator I would shut it down. THINK!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrens gpa
Top Prospect

14 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  18:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ferguson was part of the problem but only because he did not bring the Cup to TO and that was a rather unachievable mandate but Sundin didn't bring the cup home either, nor did any other high profile person associated with the Maple Laffs. What is the saying, you cannot fire the whole team....... I say sell, sell, sell, to Bailsile move to Hamilton and get a nice and refreshing start...........
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  18:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think they should have done it a long time ago, he just came into the leafs team got rid of there good players and made bad moves, and descicions. he got rid of gary roberts who was the heart of the team, all roberts wanted was to be with niewndyk(not spelled right) and it would have costed more moeny for both but in exchange you would get two good hockey players. he also turned down offers for guys like pronger and smyth. and in the offseason this year. toskala was a good aquirment but blake, he is really good but they should have gone after defenseman. thats what kills the leafs, there defence

i also think they should get rid of maurice to. he makes bad lines and what i really dont like(being a pogge fan) is how he holds back pogge. he is the future of the team and deserves a bit of nhl miniutes in the net

so pretty much dump there whole management

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<

Wings 4 Da Cup

[IMG][IMG][IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/D_X_94/TOR.gif[/IMG] [/IMG][/IMG]

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  19:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe that the Leafs didn't sign that Organ Grinding Monkey down on Young Street for the GM job. That's all that position is. They grind the organ as fast or as slow as the Board of Directors asks them to.

I am serious about that, it's not meant to be a joke.

In the end, the Leafs have who as prospects?? Seriously, I would love to see a list so I can research them since I have not heard of any great Leaf prospects(again, not a joke.)

Hopefully the Sundin Sweepstakes gets the Leafs a few more picks, and hopefully the new GM has a decent scouting team to get some quality youngsters in. Hopefully the Board will lay off and let the new GM do their job and hopefully the Leafs improve.

I mean that honestly. As a huge anti-Leafs guy, I seriously want them to improve. It seems that Toronto fans are far better at bragging then they are about defending their team. Plus, if I was a Leaf fan, I would be sick of cheering for a mediocre team.

Have a nice day!!!!!!!

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  19:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<

Wings 4 Da Cup

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/shahir29/justinpoggecopy.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/shahir29/sundin500apwm6br2.gif[/IMG]

Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  19:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkalirah

My point to all of this is that the Leafs need to be a little more patient with their young talent. If they do that, the future looks bright.

I have to disagree with this statement...Sure we made some mistakes earlier, but with Boyes and Sullivan, we did what WAS best for the team at the time, having a fairly competitive team. How can you hold onto a guy for that long without doubting his abilities just a bit?? As for our young players now (White, Steen, Stajan, Stralman) I think we're being extremely patient with them, for the first half of the season, it was simply Mats and Nik doing all the scoring...sure Kubina was scoring as well
But, as the deal with Fletcher goes, I was glad to see him come back and I think it was the right move for this club. Hopefully we'll see some good moving around before the end of the season. Players that we should build around however are: Sundin, Kaberle, Stralman, White, Steen, Stajan, Antropov and Ponikarovsky (among others).

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  20:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patchy

hey Patchy, we're waiting for you here http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3235&whichpage=6
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  21:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hkalirah - I did read your post and what I was saying is that I would trade Wellwood in a heartbeat if I could find someone to take him? I agree with your other choices. Antropov and Poni stay. Antro is only 27 and Poni would make as fine a left wing third liner as there is in the league. Maurice has been just mis-using him. You forgot Kulemin and Tlusty and Kabbie on your keeper list.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  21:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Beans, the monkey thing might not of been meant to be funny but I laughed like a bastard at it for some reason. The reality of it is the fact it isn't true. I watched all the press conferences from start to finish today and was quite surprised by quite a bit of what I heard. It seems the board has a lot less say in the goings on regarding the team than the average person thinks.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  22:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know how much money I threw into that Monkey's cup...

I hope it all goes to a good player some day...

Of coarse you know that this means war!
- - Bugs Bunny

http://www.maldesigns.ca/top50since1967.htm

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  04:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First - I actually don't think this is "big news". An interim GM with very little space to manouever was brought in to possibly make a trade or two, thus making the next GM's job even more difficult. But despite JFJ's protestations to the contrary, he was a handcuffed guy, and whoever rules the roost will be under a similar situation.

This, to me, is more of a public relations move.

Big news would be the the teachers union giving full autonomy (in writing!) to the new GM. Big news would be getting rid of one of the bloated salaries (or two), in exchange for some decent picks. Big news would be . . . the Leafs making the playoffs?!?

A man has to dream.

Now, the wishlist - listen up, Fletch:
Keep Wellwood, trade Steen (career third liner who might get a second liner in return). Keep Sundin, trade Antropov (my prediction: no one will want him in one year's time - sell HIGH). Trade Raycroft to a desperate team with back-up needs at the deadline (for prospects).

Then, pray that someone of at least Scotty Bowman's stature can come in here and convince the union to let go of the reins. Another year out of the playoffs would go a long way to convince them of this.

Now, the prediction:
Fletcher trades Sundin (waiving the clause is a way for the player to choose where he wants to go - a quote!), gets two good picks, a young'un in the line-up, and a utility player. He tries to unload Raycroft, but there are no takers. That's it - fade to black.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  08:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Slozo, What is with this Wellwood thing? This guy is so soft I don't think he could skate through a Kimerly-Clark bathroom tissue. He can't even tie up Steen's skate laces. I'm sorry but I don't think this guy is going anywhere. I hope I am wrong but if you watch him real close you can understand where I'm coming from. Maurice already benched him and used this not in shape excuse for it. I know he is a neat little fellow and all that with quick hands and an offensive flair but he refuses to get dirty in both ends of the ice. I have also questioned his motivation on many occasions. On the otherhand Steen is a very good player who is starting to find his stride and is more than a third liner. Why trade him as he is not hurting the cap and he's young? By the way, if Steen was our starting third liner could you imagine how good the rest of the team would be? Third liners are part of a good team too. I would hope Antropov is going nowhere. He is a guy that excels in all aspects, killing penalties, checking, power play, physical and next to no one is better along the wall. It still amazes me how people still sell him short. All you have to do is focus on him game in and game out and you would realize how good he really is and he is only 27!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page