Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Dustin Penner Worth It? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  21:31:18  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Simple question, Is Dustin Penner worth the 4.25M he is getting paid this year and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks the Oielrs had to give up which could have potentially turned into a great rookie such as Stamkos or Doughty?

Choices:

Yes
No
Other (Not Sure Waht, But Hey Can''t Hurt To Have)

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  21:37:01  Reply with Quote
Perosnally I say no he isn't, Althoguh he is a good young player who could potnetially become a great power forward in this league. I do not think paying him 4.25M is the right price and since the Oilers are in the rebuilding phase (Leafs pay attention ) I think getting a cream of the crop rookie like Stamkos or Doughty give em a year or 2 and the Oielrs would be back in the palyoff hunt. With Horcoff and Hemsky stepping up there game and lots of young talent in the process in Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Schremp, Gilbert, Smid and others this team is set for the future, make that near future.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  07:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of right now i would agree he is overpaid. By the time his contract is up he will be well worth the money he is getting. If the Oil have sucess in the near future i think he will be a huge reason why. 75% of their PP goals are because the goalie cant see past him. Hes going to be a 20-30 goal scorrer for years (maybe more) and will put up 50+ points every year. He is also not a big liability on D unlike some of their other players.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  09:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dead on Tbar(we usually don't agree). Penner, by the end of the contract will not be overpaid. And if he throws 20-30 in the net this year and next, then throws 30-40 in afterwards, he will be a steal.

And don't forget, the 1st round pick they gave Anaheim in the deal is the pick they gave the Oilers in the Pronger deal. So they didn't lose a pick, what the might have lost is how high the pick is. But that's all a risk as well. Stamkos and Doughty could turn into the next Daigle and Berard!! Then what?? Will it be a good deal then?

You have to remember that this was an RFA deal, not a UFA deal. It had to be big enough dollars so that Anaheim wouldn't or couldn't match it. Overpaid for this season and maybe next?? Yes. As a contract end to end, I don't think so.

And Guest 8815 said it well, look that the youth in the Oilers system?? Cogliano, Gagner, Gilbert, Nilsson, Smid, Penner, Hemsky, Torres, Stoll, Brodziak, Thorenson, Glencross, Greene, and Grebeshkov are all 25 or younger. That's 14 of their 23ish regular NHLer's today. That does not include guys like Shremp, Pouliot, Jacques, Spurgeon, Roy, Young, Rourke, Droin-Deslauries, Mihkinov, Setito, O'Marra, Basaillon, Plante, Syvret, and Dubnyk on the farm.

Not saying all those players will be stars, but they have TONS of young developing talent already. Risking a chance at a high draft pick for a Penner type player was a solid hockey move.

The funniest thing about this is that if the Oilers were in the playoffs, the 1st round draft pick would not be that great and this signing would have looked great.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  10:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Dead on Tbar(we usually don't agree). Penner, by the end of the contract will not be overpaid. And if he throws 20-30 in the net this year and next, then throws 30-40 in afterwards, he will be a steal.

And don't forget, the 1st round pick they gave Anaheim in the deal is the pick they gave the Oilers in the Pronger deal. So they didn't lose a pick, what the might have lost is how high the pick is. But that's all a risk as well. Stamkos and Doughty could turn into the next Daigle and Berard!! Then what?? Will it be a good deal then?

You have to remember that this was an RFA deal, not a UFA deal. It had to be big enough dollars so that Anaheim wouldn't or couldn't match it. Overpaid for this season and maybe next?? Yes. As a contract end to end, I don't think so.

And Guest 8815 said it well, look that the youth in the Oilers system?? Cogliano, Gagner, Gilbert, Nilsson, Smid, Penner, Hemsky, Torres, Stoll, Brodziak, Thorenson, Glencross, Greene, and Grebeshkov are all 25 or younger. That's 14 of their 23ish regular NHLer's today. That does not include guys like Shremp, Pouliot, Jacques, Spurgeon, Roy, Young, Rourke, Droin-Deslauries, Mihkinov, Setito, O'Marra, Basaillon, Plante, Syvret, and Dubnyk on the farm.

Not saying all those players will be stars, but they have TONS of young developing talent already. Risking a chance at a high draft pick for a Penner type player was a solid hockey move.

The funniest thing about this is that if the Oilers were in the playoffs, the 1st round draft pick would not be that great and this signing would have looked great.

quick question beans because i'm from the east and unfortunatly don't see enough oil games,,, of all those young guys are any of them 6ft 4 and 240lbs?? it seems to me not and that makes penner all the more valuable not only can he score he wil bring power to the lines up front in a pretty physical division?? also on a side penner is youn g its not like the went out a gave all these picks up for an old washed up super star.... its almost a lock barring injury that penner has a very good career ahead of him

Pasty

Edited by - Pasty7 on 02/06/2008 10:10:28
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  15:02:18  Reply with Quote
Wait so the Oilers are giving back the Ducks 1st rounder for the Pronger deal? So essencially we got Penner, Smid, Lupul, conditional 1st round pick, 2nd round and then Ducks got Pronger and a, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick and the first round pick back?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page