Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Retired Jerseys Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  12:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I for one, do not like the idea of retiring Jerseys numbers. I think we should honour jersey numbers but to retire them is stupid. Look at the Montreal Canadiens. I think they only have 1 or 2 single digit jerseys left. In another 100 years players will be forced to wear three digit numbers. And retiring #99 throughout the whole league is ridiculous.

No cup for Dino, what a shame

Guest9168
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  12:54:54  Reply with Quote
right on,,,especially the 99 thing..
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  13:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9168

right on,,,especially the 99 thing..

Hold your horses boys. Gretzky, for all what we say ''if so and so had been healthy'' was above and beyond the next best by 1000 or so points. He is the sole possessor or is tied for 56 NHL records. He put the Oilers on the map. He really is the ''Great One'' and the NHL should honour his almost unbelievable and unfathomalbe career in any way they can.

Bet we would have an influx of players donning 99 if this rule weren't implemented. There are 98 more digits to choose from, a little diversity never hurt anyone.

Habs get number 25 this year

Edited by - Alex on 02/12/2008 13:45:21
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  13:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no problem with the numbers being retired, but some teams like Montreal are going to retire all the low numbers, but so what.

I do like how my team Toronto does it. Honour the numbers of the greats, to allow others to wear them, and retire the few...

As for Gretzky, they really did not have to retire his number 99 throughout the league, who would have the nerve to wear it...I do not think that there has been another player wear the #66 has there, and it was not retired...

[img]http://www.maldesigns.ca/top%2050%20since%201967%20banner.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  14:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Either way PuckNuts, not many players nowadays get their jersey's retired. The Leafs, in the forseeable future at least, have only to worry about number 13. If a player is that good, retire his number, no questions asked.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  14:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think numbers should be retired throughtought the whole leaugue
but if 99 wasnt retired, it would almost be sacreligous to wear it, becuase you would not compare to the previous person to wear thtat number

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  14:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

I dont think numbers should be retired throughtought the whole leaugue
but if 99 wasnt retired, it would almost be sacreligous to wear it, becuase you would not compare to the previous person to wear thtat number

~~~GO STARS~~~

Depends how you look at it. Some view it as paying tribute or acknowledging a hero. Check out how many defensemen still wear the number 4.

"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get 7 years of bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me 5."
-- Steven Wright
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  15:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most players wear numbers because of a great player that they loved. #4, #19, #21, #16, I think most of us can say the best players who wore those numbers and other players like to wear those because they liked that player. I think the idea of retiring a number is good. It acknowledges a player who did something spectacular for their team. But I think it should stay as that, a team. It's hard to have a discussion without a Gretzky debate in it LOL. But to that point. I don't think they should have league retired that number. He was a great player but what did he do for the Dallas Stars or the Buffalo Sabres? And as other members stated, I don't think anyone would have the guts to wear that number again anyways.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  16:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teams Retiring Numbers

I don't mind a team retiring a number in some very limited situations. In my view, we have for the most part already covered the guys for which such an honor should be given on our list (plus Howe and maybe 2 or 3 other oldies - the Rocket maybe). I'd prefer if they reserved it to these type of guys because that gives the honor much more meaning. Other great guys can have their numbers honored and a ceremony, etc.

The Bruins have been almost as guilty as the Habs of overdoing it. I love Neely and O'Reilly, but I totally disagree with retiring their numbers. Even Ray may be 50-50 with me, though I understand that one more.

The League Retiring Numbers

In addition to PainTrain's good point on this, I find it unfortunate that the league chose to treat Wayne and his number in an extra-special way. It's one thing to give an award, even one such as a "Greatest Player Ever" Award (though I'd disagree with choice), but it is another thing to be telling teams that this player is special and we "forbid" you to let your players use that number. Perhaps most guys wouldn't want the number, BUT if by chance an up and coming superstar in Dallas, New Jersey, Anaheim etc really wanted to wear 99, and the team really wanted him to do so, I don't think it's right that he is being told by the league that he can't wear it. Forget where you stand on Gretzky being the best ever on this for a second - is there not something wrong in principle with that?

And Alex, I don't care if the player scores 9999 points and breaks 99 records. Gretzky was more than honored enough both during his career (with Harts, All-Star selections...) and after his career before the league decided to throw this at him too. Look at it this way, if the league wouldn't have done this, could anyone say that Wayne has somehow been disrespected by the league. I don't think so. It wasn't necessary.

Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  09:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if in the future a player breaks all or most of Gretzky's records and that player wears #15. Should the league retire #15 for good too?

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  12:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you better hope that they do not retire the number 15.

Did you know that more players have worn the # 15 in the NHL than any other number...

[img]http://www.maldesigns.ca/top%2050%20since%201967%20banner.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page