Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Where Is Everybody? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dallasj
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  17:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What? Canada loses and nobody is around to discuss it? Nevermind all the other games today.

I only saw the first period before I had to go to work and from what I saw and heard, the game went like this: Martin Gerber had an outstanding game while the Swiss played as a team and Canada played as individuals. I'm just glad that I now have a week of holidays to not miss any more games and enjoy the rest of the tournament.

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  19:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya not a good day eh? I was too lazy to get up at 6:30am and missed it. I was going to catch the replay but heard the score. Could this be the start of a new world hockey power in the making? Probably not - Canada just needs a good kick in the ass. Looking forward to tommorow and a nice 2pm time slot.

Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  20:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After about half way through the 3rd period, after I resigned myself to our collective fate, I started to smile. Canada (and the Czechs) getting beat by the Swiss could be one of the best things to happen to the international game of hockey. I could picture all the little Swiss boys and girls running out into the streets with their hockey sticks claiming to be Gerber, Della Rossa, Pluss and Dipietro (what the?). A new crop of youngsters have the bug now. That's awesome!
Go to Top of Page

dallasj
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  20:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Hughson and Greg Millen (I'm pretty sure it was him) were talking during the game that in Switzerland hockey is actually more popular than football (soccer), and they were expecting about 2-3 million of the 7 million population to be watching the game. With the quality of their league, one of the better ones in Europe, and the wealth of the country, it would never surprise me if Switzerland turned into a contendor in major international tournaments.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  20:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not positive but I thought they said there were only 10,000 hockey players in the country. That's not many when you consider there are 60,000 female players in Canada alone. It's good a testament to the Swiss program!!!

I got to see the swiss jr's play ate the word Juniors and other than the worst reffing I had ever seen the game was very entertaining and the Canadians did not have a chance to run away with it. It was a great game to watch. I think it ended 5-3 or something like that.

The Swiss are my new favourite "underdogs". LOL!
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  19:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ummmmmmm.......2-0 to the Fins? 2-0 to the Swiss? Are we nervous yet? We should be. The biggest game of the tournament is on Tuesday the team better get up for it. Quinn should stop pissing with the lines and let them settle into a groove.
Go to Top of Page

dallasj
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  19:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This team badly needs a kick in the ass. I thought that after the interview he gave with CBC at the 1st intermission that Kris Draper was going to go into the dressing room and remodel the place with his stick. This team needs anything to get it motivated. Too bad a Sutter can't be standing by to take over the reins from Quinn. I wonder if anybody will have a mysterious injury from today's game and we will see a member of the taxi squad in his place on Tuesday?
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  20:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PUT SPEZZA WITH HEATLEY AND THORNTON!!!!!

I must be the only one who thinks this would work... Why the hell would any GM want to keep Spezza and Heatley apart, I just don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  07:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure Spezza being on the taxi squad means he can only play if someone gets hurt - so him and Heatley together is a nice idea but is not going to happen. If anything, Staal's ability to score would be a boost to the weak offense of Canada.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  08:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, the Swiss game was all about Gerber but going two games without a gaol - what the hell? I'm not trying to down play the skill of the Fins but Canada needs to pick it up soon or they will be out of this tournament.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  11:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm pretty sure it would be easy for any player to say he "tweaked his groin" in practice or something and let Spezza play in his place. I think Spezza would be better than Staal because Canada's problem is that they aren't playing as a team and Spezza is an unselfish, extremely talented playmaker which I think could spark some scoring. Staal is not much different than Iginla or Sakic in terms of the way they play.

Regardless, I know it won't happen but what does Canada have to lose at this point?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page