Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Comeback of the Year - who would win? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest2291
( )

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:04:11  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who would win a' Comeback Player Of The Year' award this season in the NHL?

Choices:

Alex Kovalev
Nikolai Zherdev
Jose Theodore
Other(Tell Who)

Edited by - willus3 on 03/11/2008 11:37:21

Guest9840
( )

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:13:11  Reply with Quote
All good choices, Kovalev has to be the best answer though. Zherdev hasn't ever been good enough or has had a long enough career to "comeback", I'd say it's more like his breakthrough season. Theodore's definately comeback, but he sucked in the first half just as bad as Budaj, so I'd have to give it to Kovalev who's had a great year all round (Top 15 in scoring).
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, this looks a lot like the poll on tsn.ca/nhl.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  14:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I must admit I do not follow Zherdev at all, and Thoedore not so much, I would have to say Kovalev anyways. I think that last year he really did not step up to his call of duty and took that seriously this year.

I read it, I think on NHL.com, that he is very serious about playing well this year. He took his off-season training intensively and is a very big part of Montreal's premature success this season.

Kovalev is hitting point marks I never expected to see him reach in Montreal, and it benefits everyone. He is helping the youngsters gain confidence, and is a bonifide leader in the dressing room.

Kudos Kovie!

All aboard the Price bandwagon
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  14:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9840

All good choices, Kovalev has to be the best answer though. Zherdev hasn't ever been good enough or has had a long enough career to "comeback", I'd say it's more like his breakthrough season. Theodore's definately comeback, but he sucked in the first half just as bad as Budaj, so I'd have to give it to Kovalev who's had a great year all round (Top 15 in scoring).

I hate to say it, but Budaj didn't 'suck' at the start of the year. I'm pretty sure he had close to 15 wins by the end of december, and he had a sp of over .900. Theodore didn't get the starting job because of Budaj's poor play, it was because Jose outplayed him, and he still is.

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

Guest0937
( )

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  16:09:35  Reply with Quote
(Guest9840) True enough, Budaj was doing pretty good until the rotation and then Theodore's ultimate succesion. I'm just biased because he was a key pick in my pool and it didn't work out... either way Theodore's comeback didn't start until halfway through the season so I'd still give the nod to Kovalev
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  16:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, sounds good, just thought I would back my team up. Kovalev is my choice also by the way.

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  17:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Owen Nolan?

I know he's not doing as well as Kovalev, but this is a guy who was out of the league for two years, then on Phoenix, and now finally playing like his former self on Calgary.

I think he has something like 15 goals.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  09:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, It is not much of a comeback when Kovalev dogged it all last year. When it is your personnal choice to suck crap and loll around collecting your massive pay while letting the fans and your team mates down then you should be nominated for nothing but a one way bobsled ride down a Russian mountain into a bottomless chasm. How can you exalt anybody for coming back to the standard that they should have been playing at all along and their departure from the norm was totally self predicated. The guy is a useless, self centered, pouty, work when I feel like it individual and deserves no mention in this thread whatsoever!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  09:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, Antroman, your description of Kovalev reminded me a lot of the entire Leaf's team actually. THey are playing great now! As good as almost anyone in the League! Where was this effort in December and January? I find it interesting that you dislike Kovalev because he "dogs it" while "letting the fans down while collecting his massive pay" yet you are a hard core Leafs fan. Because the Leafs are the exact same way.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

juice32
Rookie

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  10:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm shocked Beylak didn't make this poll. Does anyone remember that he did score a goal this year!!!!!!

Just like the Leafs to trade a palyer on the upswing!!!........lol
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  10:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are gonna dis a player then at least spell his name right. it's Belak. other than that, hilarious post!

quote:
Originally posted by juice32

I'm shocked Beylak didn't make this poll. Does anyone remember that he did score a goal this year!!!!!!

Just like the Leafs to trade a palyer on the upswing!!!........lol

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4021
( )

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  12:51:57  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

Hmm, Antroman, your description of Kovalev reminded me a lot of the entire Leaf's team actually. THey are playing great now! As good as almost anyone in the League! Where was this effort in December and January? I find it interesting that you dislike Kovalev because he "dogs it" while "letting the fans down while collecting his massive pay" yet you are a hard core Leafs fan. Because the Leafs are the exact same way.

Brett Hull.

-------------------

Hahahaha excellent post!!...Hey antro, try playing with someone who could care less and wanting out of an organziation like Samsonov...Thornton, I love it!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9840
( )

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  13:09:35  Reply with Quote
Antroman... so what, he dogged it last year, which resulted in his playing badly and having a poor year overall, stats and reputation. This year, he's trying hard, he's doing well and that's been reflected in his stats and reputation. In relation to his recent past, Kovalev has had one of the biggest turn arounds of the year.

Tell us what would qualify as a comeback if this is not it?

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  20:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are missing the point completely. Why would you reward someone who comes back to form when they chose themselves not be up to form the previous year. It's like saying to yourself, maybe I'll just take the year off and maybe if I feel like it I will play hard next year. Hey, I might even win the comeback player of the year award? I realize he is an awesome player and probably has the purest most accurate wrist shot in the league. It just bothers me when someone only plays when they feel like it. I think the comeback award should go to a player who was recovering from an injury or illness and through hard work and dedication re-invents himself and his career the following year......not someone who lollygags around like Kovalev did last season. Now Alex, which part of this do you not understand? Also, what part of this comeback player thing has anything to do with the Leafs? Just wondering!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  05:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antroman, i am not disagreeing with you on this! I can understand where you are coming from and i actually agree with it! But how can you prove that he was dogging it? THere are a lot of factors that we do not know. For example, perhaps he had a nagging injury last year that was bugging him. He chose to play through it but he couldn't play 100%. Now, i don't think this is accurate for Kovalev because i do think he is a lazy player!
Now, how we got onto the Leafs? Well, you were saying that it bothers you when players play only when they feel like it. You said you don't like Kovelev because (and i quote) "Kovalev dogged it all last year. When it is your personnal choice to suck crap and loll around collecting your massive pay while letting the fans and your team mates down then you should be nominated for nothing but a one way bobsled ride down a Russian mountain into a bottomless chasm." ( I love the bobsled thing btw! pure genius). Well my question is why you like the Leafs if this bugs you so much! Because in December and January, the Leafs were dogging it! They couldn't win and often looked like they really didn't care. Now it is almost playoff time and they start winning? They will come up short again because once again, they started caring just a little too late.
So my question is if you hate Kovelev so much because he is a lazy player and only plays when he feels like it, why are you such a huge Leafs fan?

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9840
( )

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  06:52:18  Reply with Quote
Antro - You're making huge assumptions about Kovalev, do you know him personally? Do you have some special insight into his life, personality, work ethic? Do you know anything about the guy other than what you see on the ice? What you're saying is that you know for sure he had his worst professional career last year on purpose. To paraphrase you "He chose to not to be up to form", how do you know this?

He has said that he didn't enjoy last year, he didn't like the way he played. No professional of any caliber tanks a season on purpose to win an award the next season.

I have no personal investment in the guy, and I'm not a Habs fan, but your argument does not dissuade me from the fact he's turned it around this season. You might not like him but you can't deny last year for reasons fully only known to him and his team he performed badly, this year he's "looked in the mirror" and done a 180 in performance and attitude.

So again I ask you, if this is not a comeback player, name one.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  06:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well put, Guest. Excellent post!

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  15:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have watched Kovalev bounce back and forth like this over the course of his career. It was not just last year and this year. Why, you only have to go back to last season and everyone was calling him a lazy piece of work and the fans were booing the s*** out of him. Please don't insult my intelligence with this garbage about not knowing him personally. He is known for being a floater.....period. Now that the toilet seats are having one of their marvelous seasons as Gallivan used to put it, the guy can do no wrong and you Habbers got him in line for all the awards. What a joke. Hey Guest 9840, He didn't enjoy last season? Did he rebate the club half his salary? Ah, poor baby, how can we make the multi million dollar player feel better about his surroundings? What am I supposed to do, go around the league with a box of baby soothers while introducing myself and asking all the players how they feel before we pass judgement on them. Poor Kovikins, here is your sucky, go home and relax and we will see how you feel next year. What a freakin' joke.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  15:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well put Antroman. Excellent post!
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  15:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha Antroman, that's hillarious.
Great Post!

Edited by - pensfan17 on 03/13/2008 15:49:20
Go to Top of Page

Guest0567
( )

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  18:23:15  Reply with Quote
Guest0940 here.

First of all I don't see what this has to do with money. This has to do with making a comeback in the game. There are tons of players who haven't produced what their paychecks dictate they should, Kovalev's 4+ million is not even the greatest example of that. The question of whether any and all professional athletes are worth the millions they make is a topic for another post. My point in bringing up his thoughts on last season were strictly to display his thought process in leading to his turn around.

Kovalev has had bad seasons since 2002, he's basically been on the Samsonov highway since (who now is also a comeback candidate, of course you'll argue he didn't try, and he makes millions so he shouldn't be recognized either for playing better since moving to Carolina), this year he's having a good year, Hence the comeback.

I don't care about the guy or the habs, but you seem to like bringing up the fact that he was lazy, a floater, useless... that only strengthens my point more, that is going from a lazy useless good for nothing floater to a productive, active, energetic team leader.

So for the last time, what defines a comeback for you??? And give me an example. You don't have to like Kovalev but you have to acknowledge he's turned it around.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0567
( )

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  18:23:47  Reply with Quote
I meant 9840
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  19:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For crying out loud, Kovalev is a better than average player with probably one of the best wrist shots ever......hard and accurate. The fact remains, he only plays when he wants to. What I am saying is because it was his personal choice to dog it last year then I don't see how he deserves to win the comeback player of the year nomination. I do not know how much clearer I can put this? The malaize he is coming back from was self imposed. I don't like him because of this and I don't like other players who do this either. They can't be relied on. Antropov was injured last season and jeered and booed for being too slow among other things. He has gotten over his injuries and fought through the adversity and come back with his best season ever and second best totals on a so-so club. He is much more deserving than a guy who lolly gagged around last year because he didn't feel like playing. Now do you understand my point?
Go to Top of Page

Guest7011
( )

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  19:49:01  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

For crying out loud, Kovalev is a better than average player with probably one of the best wrist shots ever......hard and accurate. The fact remains, he only plays when he wants to. What I am saying is because it was his personal choice to dog it last year then I don't see how he deserves to win the comeback player of the year nomination. I do not know how much clearer I can put this? The malaize he is coming back from was self imposed. I don't like him because of this and I don't like other players who do this either. They can't be relied on. Antropov was injured last season and jeered and booed for being too slow among other things. He has gotten over his injuries and fought through the adversity and come back with his best season ever and second best totals on a so-so club. He is much more deserving than a guy who lolly gagged around last year because he didn't feel like playing. Now do you understand my point?

Ah yes. Now I get it. Kovalev is not a Leaf.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  20:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I was afraid someone would say something stupid if I used Antro as an example. That is why I didn't mention it through my earlier posts but I was getting grilled for an example and had to use it to make my point. I knew some retarded dew worm would respond in this manner and I have to say that 7011, you are the slippery squirm away winner. Have a nice life!!!!!

Edited by - Antroman on 03/13/2008 20:06:40
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  20:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to throw a name out there that I think deserves. He goes by the name of Patrik Sharp.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  05:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Antroman, you are on fire! awesome posts! they made for some really hilarious reading too! especially loved the dew worm! priceless!
ANd I have to admit that i do agree with you. I honestly think that Kovalev is a very lazy player, with the abilities to be consistently one of the best players in the league. I don't like selfish, "it's all about me" players and Kovelev is one of those players.
BUT He has turned it around this year! No doubt about it! He is putting up one of his best seasons and he's actually playing hard. To me, that shows a comeback! Not to mention, I don't think the NHL could say, "you know what? you were dogging it last year so this year you don't get the comeback player" They would have no proof of that (even tho to me its obvious) so they could not use that as an excuse.
As for ANtropov, I am not a fan of the guy but I do agree that he has had a great season this year and quite honestly, would be deserving of the comeback player!

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9840
( )

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  09:16:24  Reply with Quote
Antroman, thank you... Antropov is actually a great example, definately a Bill Masterson candidate and a great comeback, though a comeback also implies he was good at one point, and with Antropov, he's unfortunately always been to injury riddled to show he was good to begin with.

But on Kovalev we will have to agree to disagree. As we're just going to continue going in circles on this.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9840
( )

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  09:22:38  Reply with Quote
As a side note, anyone who has had the injuries and taken the booing and bad press Antropov has in his time as a leaf deserves a trophy for perserverance and dedication to the game. Either that or he's a serious masochist.

As for Sharp I say its more like a break through season then a comeback...
Go to Top of Page

Guest4221
( )

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  14:27:37  Reply with Quote
Another guy who deserves it is Mark Recchi, the guy got sent down to the minors,and will probably still get 50 points.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7011
( )

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  19:14:37  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

You know, I was afraid someone would say something stupid if I used Antro as an example. That is why I didn't mention it through my earlier posts but I was getting grilled for an example and had to use it to make my point. I knew some retarded dew worm would respond in this manner and I have to say that 7011, you are the slippery squirm away winner. Have a nice life!!!!!

Speaking of someone saying something stupid, I haven't heard any on this site, but writing something stupid well, thank you clear example Antro.

Who is stupid? I think it is the one that sets themself up for a snide remark, then defends themself by going LEAF NATION on the web(I'd say postal, but this seems more appropriate on this hockey site). Nice deflection by the way, insult and ridicule rather than an intelligent response. Hey maybe you can show some more of that wit and intelligence with another insulting and derogatory response. That'll show everyone not to mess with ya.

BTW, you still have not responded to Thornton about your slacking Leafs that only play when they feel like it (just like your assumption of Kovalev).

In any case, my vote would be for Brenden Morrow.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  21:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Boo Hoo 7011 - This thread is about comeback player of the year and not about slagging the Leafs. Kovalev is a superior player and once again I think he has one of the best wrist shots in the world of hockey. Are you elated with that response? This is not the point. Last year, of his own volition he chose not to be the superior player that he is. My opinion is that he doesn't deserve to be comeback player of the year when his own rotten season was predicated by himself. I need not explain this again. Please retire back to your little hole in the earth. I am finished with this thread.
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  13:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made this poll.But I was a guest then.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  13:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, sorry. I guess I wasn't active at the time.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

mytor4
Rookie

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  15:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

Brett Hull.

i really think your are the best poster on this board. what a comeback.
you have a legit answer every time he trolls about the habs and there players. good to have you around.

57 career losses,46 shutouts and 5 vezina trophys.6 Stanley Cup rings in 8 yrs
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  15:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Alex Kovalev should get the comeback layer of the year award season
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  20:17:46  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

I'm going to throw a name out there that I think deserves. He goes by the name of Patrik Sharp.

I would call Sharps year more of a Breakout year than a comeback, he had no real expectations to live up to last year so he didn't really disappoint and now this year he's had a sensational year.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  07:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with guest 8815 on sharp.... kovalev gets the award hands down ... i dont care what the leaf dweller has to say .. antro is always taking shots at the habs its sad really ... especially even if they beat us tn ... were still in the playoffs ..well at least they will have something talk about something at the golf course together while the habs are marching to the cup
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  19:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think Zherdev or Theodore should get it.They haven't really that much been a comeback player.So thats why I said I picked Kovalev.Hes a comeback player.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page