Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Which would make the best story? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  11:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Bias aside, which of these potential occurences would make the best story in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Choices:

Re-united, Colorado wins a cup
Montreal brings the cup back to Canada
Ducks repeat champs for the first time since Wings
Last four winners Tampa, Carolina, Anaheim and San Jose
Alfredsson gets to hoist hockey''''s holy grail
Crosby wins in first year as captain
Toronto makes it in on a miracle, and knocks out Habs and Sens
Other (what)?

Edited by - Alex on 03/19/2008 11:39:33

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  12:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as a Thornton fan, i voted for the story where the SHarks win the cup. But i have to say that if the Leafs would make the playoffs and then knock out the Sens and the Habs, that would definitly be the best story of the playoffs, even tho i'm not a Leaf fan! that would be pretty incredible tho!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  13:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it would be nice to see toronto make the playoffs knock out habs and sens....and win the cup.... eh a guy can dream can he. but if they were against montreal they would have a good chance of beating them considering of who MTL has in net. two young and unexperienced goaltenders. and against the sens. they did good last years. but wither way the SENS ALWAYS CHOKE, and the leafs have beat them in their last 3 games(two were shutouts 3-0 and 5-0) and the leafs have been good in the playoffs anyway.

so yes

that would be nice to see

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  13:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol its kinda funny. i can completely see the Leafs knock off the Habs and the Sens, yet they will not make the playoffs. funny how stuff happens!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  15:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

it would be nice to see toronto make the playoffs knock out habs and sens....and win the cup.... eh a guy can dream can he. but if they were against montreal they would have a good chance of beating them considering of who MTL has in net. two young and unexperienced goaltenders. and against the sens. they did good last years. but wither way the SENS ALWAYS CHOKE, and the leafs have beat them in their last 3 games(two were shutouts 3-0 and 5-0) and the leafs have been good in the playoffs anyway.

so yes

that would be nice to see

Leafsfan_94

you know why the leafs beat the habs guranteed in a 7 game series,,, the leafs are big and when you play a big team 4 games in a row they wear on you and slow you down. The habs have trouble against big look how poorly they have played toronto washington and the sharks this year... big wins in a 7 game series the leafs could be dangerous in the playoffs,,,, and this is coming from a leaf hater and a hab lover!!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  15:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question, if big wins, and the Leafs are as big as you say, and can take on any team come playoff time, why can they not do that in the regular season?

All aboard the Price bandwagon
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  15:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really, really, really, want the "re-untied" Avs to win, but I think the Canadiens winning a cup and keeping the cup-a-decade run alive would make the best story, I went for that.

I actually have a gut feeling Price will play awesome.

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  06:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there are a lot better stories out there than the Habs winning yet another Cup. If you are into a Canadian team winning it, there are some very good potential stories with other teams, such as,

- after such a crazy season Ottawa finds their form and becomes a champion for the first time in over 80 years
- With Iggy leading, and Keenan masterminding, the Flames bring the Cup back to Calgary - would be only their second Cup, the last one being 19 years ago
- Luongo stops just about everything thrown at him and the Canucks win their first Cup ever
- an absolute miracle takes place and the Oilers or Leafs win every game left in the regular season, sneak into the Playoffs on the last night, and go on to win their first Cup in many a year (okay this one ain't happening - BUT, it sure would make a better story than the boring story of the Habs, Ho Hum, winning a Cup AGAIN!

Some other stories not involving Canadian teams:

- Joey T finally finds his form in the playoffs and leads the Sharks to their first Cup
- Buffalo charges late, and brings the city of Buffalo their first championship
- THE BOSTON BRUINS SCRATCH, CLAW AND EVEN MAKE USE OF THEIR LUNCH PAILS TO CAPTURE THEIR FIRST CUP IN OVER 35 YEARS - okay, barring a miracle, this one ain't happening either, but it would be a tremendous story, far more interesting the the Habs story which we have seen as many times as the Godfather has been shown on TV - too many!

Notice the things in bold above. These teams have either not won EVER or have not won a lot or have not won in many a year. The Habs - as we all know they have won, and have won A LOT, and the last one was only 15 years ago, which is nothing compared to Chicago, Boston, St. Louis, Vancouver, Buffalo...

Call me in 25 years! Then it becomes a semi-interesting story.

The Habs MAY very well win the Cup this year.

It is NOT a good story (except for the sadists out there, that is).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  08:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree wholeheartedly with Andyhack on this one!

I think it's bad enough (as a Leafs fan) that my team has disappointed once again, and that miraculously, Montreal is fighting for top spot, as opposed to a playoff spot.

A couple of possible great stories missed:
1. Washington, under the league's best player Ovechkin, get into the playoffs and make some noise.

2. Carolina makes the final, wins in an upset, and recaptures the cup for their second win in three years, sandwhiched around a year where they missed the playoffs - first time in history!

3. None of the favourites from the west make it to the final, instead it's Minnesota/Dallas/Colorado

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  12:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

I think there are a lot better stories out there than the Habs winning yet another Cup. If you are into a Canadian team winning it, there are some very good potential stories with other teams, such as,

- after such a crazy season Ottawa finds their form and becomes a champion for the first time in over 80 years
- With Iggy leading, and Keenan masterminding, the Flames bring the Cup back to Calgary - would be only their second Cup, the last one being 19 years ago
- Luongo stops just about everything thrown at him and the Canucks win their first Cup ever
- an absolute miracle takes place and the Oilers or Leafs win every game left in the regular season, sneak into the Playoffs on the last night, and go on to win their first Cup in many a year (okay this one ain't happening - BUT, it sure would make a better story than the boring story of the Habs, Ho Hum, winning a Cup AGAIN!

Some other stories not involving Canadian teams:

- Joey T finally finds his form in the playoffs and leads the Sharks to their first Cup
- Buffalo charges late, and brings the city of Buffalo their first championship
- THE BOSTON BRUINS SCRATCH, CLAW AND EVEN MAKE USE OF THEIR LUNCH PAILS TO CAPTURE THEIR FIRST CUP IN OVER 35 YEARS - okay, barring a miracle, this one ain't happening either, but it would be a tremendous story, far more interesting the the Habs story which we have seen as many times as the Godfather has been shown on TV - too many!

Notice the things in bold above. These teams have either not won EVER or have not won a lot or have not won in many a year. The Habs - as we all know they have won, and have won A LOT, and the last one was only 15 years ago, which is nothing compared to Chicago, Boston, St. Louis, Vancouver, Buffalo...

Call me in 25 years! Then it becomes a semi-interesting story.

The Habs MAY very well win the Cup this year.

It is NOT a good story (except for the sadists out there, that is).

I disagree. I was one year old when the Habs won their last cup, how could them winning not be exciting for me! I have only read and watched the habs of the 70's, and so on and before, and it would be amazing if this storied franchise could make their record stand. Why is this success not a great story? Anaheim won their first cup last year, are you saying you want San Jose, Atlanta, Nashville, and Phoenix to win the next four cups. Personnally, I would like it to go to a Canadian team, this year or next. I would also like that team to be the Canadiens.

At least one Cup every decade, what a great record! Why are against seeing this stand?

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  14:22:29  Reply with Quote
after toronto doesnt make the playoffs and cbc sets records for audience size watching the playoffs they realize toronto isnt the center of the Hockey world and decide not to show any toronto games on HNIC in the 08-09 season.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  14:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Question, if big wins, and the Leafs are as big as you say, and can take on any team come playoff time, why can they not do that in the regular season?

All aboard the Price bandwagon

like i said,, when playing the same guys every night for potentially 7 games they wear on you,, slow you down tire you out,, they also know how to hurt you, they have been running you into the boards for 3 games now,,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  15:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shinnyafterschool

quote:

I think there are a lot better stories out there than the Habs winning yet another Cup.

I disagree. I was one year old when the Habs won their last cup, how could them winning not be exciting for me!
At least one Cup every decade, what a great record! Why are against seeing this stand?

Shinny - From your point of view (that being of a 16 year old - and I assume a Habs fan), sure, I can understand your excitement about the possibility of the Habs winning the cup this year. But from my point of view (as a LONG-time Bruins fan) I naturally hope it doesn't happen (though, on the bright side, it will be very financially rewarding for me this time, as I won't come away from yet another Habs victory empty-handed ever again!).

BUT, this question was supposed to be answered without bias and, despite my admitted subjective slant (which I probably can't avoid bringing to the table when anything about the Habs come up), I really did try to answer this question as objectively as possible actually. And after thinking about the question, I came to the conclusion that, objectively, the Habs winning another Cup really isn't that good a story compared to the other potential stories out there. I think if a Habs fan really puts aside their bias about it, they too would agree that, even if it's required that a Canadian team wins for a story to be considered great, any one of the Canadian team stories mentioned in my post would make a far more fascinating story than the Habs winning yet another Cup.
Go to Top of Page

mytor4
Rookie

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  17:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Bias aside, which of these potential occurences would make the best story in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs?

what do you mean by this option

i don't think i'm getting that part.Tampa, Carolina, Anaheim have all won the cup but not San Jose

57 career losses,46 shutouts and 5 vezina trophys.6 Stanley Cup rings in 8 yrs
Go to Top of Page

mytor4
Rookie

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  17:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by shinnyafterschool

quote:

I think there are a lot better stories out there than the Habs winning yet another Cup.

I disagree. I was one year old when the Habs won their last cup, how could them winning not be exciting for me!

Shinny - From your point of view (that being of a 16 year old - and I assume a Habs fan), sure, I can understand your excitement about the possibility of the Habs winning the cup this year. But from my point of view (as a LONG-time Bruins fan) I naturally hope it doesn't happen (though, on the bright side, it will be very financially rewarding for me this time, as I won't come away from yet another Habs victory empty-handed ever again!).

BUT, this question was supposed to be answered without bias and, despite my admitted subjective slant (which I probably can't avoid bringing to the table when anything about the Habs come up), I really did try to answer this question as objectively as possible actually. And after thinking about the question, I came to the conclusion that, objectively, the Habs winning another Cup really isn't that good a story compared to the other potential stories out there. I think if a Habs fan really puts aside their bias about it, they too would agree that, even if it's required that a Canadian team wins for a story to be considered great, any one of the Canadian team stories mentioned in my post would make a far more fascinating story than the Habs winning yet another Cup.

taht is just your opinion.i am a hab fan and winning the cup this yr would be one of the great storys, why because they weren't even suppose to make the playoffs. so from going from a nonplayoff team to winning the cup=great story. no bias just a straight fact.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  18:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mytor - I really think that whole "they weren't even supposed to make the playoffs" angle is greatly overplayed. They had a great first few months last year and then something happened (I'm not sure what) and they JUST missed the playoffs on the last day. The year before that, they lost to the eventual champs in the quarters, and may very well have won but for the Koivu eye injury. The year before that they lost to the eventual champs in the quarters too. This has been a good core of guys for a number of years.

Of course, it is just my opinion that Montreal winning the Cup is not a good story compared to the others I mentioned. What can I give you other than my opinion?

But it really was an objective opinion. I think the Habs winning their 25th Cup this year is not as interesting a story as Ottawa finally breaking through and celebrating their first championship in eighty years. I admit though, that I think better stories are ones which involve teams winning for the first time in their history, or for the first time in a very long time. Those stories are certainly more heartening anyway (in my opinion).

Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  11:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Chicago sneaking in and winning their first cup since 1960-61

Edited by - pensfan17 on 03/24/2008 11:51:27
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  11:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Habs who were projected to place 13th in the East, finish first in the East and go on to win a cup, marking the 3rd time in history the team went with a rookie goalie (who also played the Pens in his first game) and won the cup. Also with members of the last winning team behind the bench (Carbs and Muller) and with Bob as GM .... you've got to be kidding me, that one hell of a story for me.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  12:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

after toronto doesnt make the playoffs and cbc sets records for audience size watching the playoffs they realize toronto isnt the center of the Hockey world and decide not to show any toronto games on HNIC in the 08-09 season.

this is my dream.. im sick of the leafs on there
Go to Top of Page

MarkhamMax
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  19:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mytor4

what do you mean by this option

i don't think i'm getting that part.Tampa, Carolina, Anaheim have all won the cup but not San Jose

He was eluding to how the headline would read if San Jose wins.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  21:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-I don't think there would be anything special about San Jose winning the cup, it would merely be a 'geographical coincidence'...They are a favourite to win the cup as well..
-I would like to see Sid win as captain, but it's not like he's been with them for the whole season, being the main contributor. Unless he comes up HUGE in the playoffs, that doesn't seem to special to me, they are also the #2 seed in their respective conference.
-Alfredsson hoisting the cup? Is he about to retire? There's been no anticipation of HIM winning the cup...It certainly would not be a Ray Bourque type story.
-Many people are favouring the Habs to win, that would be pretty special, one of (if not the most) historical teams in NHL history. Bringing Stanley back to Canada would be very special.
-Me being a Leafs fan, this would be incredible! And this is a big if, but if they do squeek into the playoffs, this could happen most definatly. If they then go on to win the cup, that would be bringing it back to Canada too...just in better fashion

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  05:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

The Habs who were projected to place 13th in the East, finish first in the East and go on to win a cup, marking the 3rd time in history the team went with a rookie goalie (who also played the Pens in his first game) and won the cup. Also with members of the last winning team behind the bench (Carbs and Muller) and with Bob as GM .... you've got to be kidding me, that one hell of a story for me.

I think anyone at the start of the year who predicted the Habs would be 13th in the East was simply not thinking very clearly. And I would have said that then! It's not just talking in retrospect. I don't care what "expert(s)" said it, if it is true that they were picked 13th, then, for reasons I have mentioned before, it was just a very very poor prediction in my mind. I honestly do not think the Habs making the playoffs is a surprise at all, zero, nada, bagel... - ABSOLUTELY 0% story on that level in my mind.

Okay, now if they finish Number 1 (a good possibility) that would defintely be a surprise (and they deserve credit for that of course), BUT I don't think them finishing anywhere between 3rd and 6th should be called anything more than a mild surprise - again, really nothing earth-shattering there in terms of a story line.

To me, if you are answering the question in this thread objectively, there has to be more to the Montreal story than the over-played "Noone picked this team" angle that is being spouted here, and that we going to hear more of (unfortunately) in the weeks to come. So what else is there? Carbs, Gainey, Muller winning YET AGAIN? The Habs having a rookie goalie lead them to a Cup YET AGAIN? Well if you think seeing multiple Cup winners take home YET ANOTHER Cup, or the Habs repeating what they have already done with a rookie goalie a couple of times in the last 40 years is a better, more touching or more heartwarming story than examples of teams winning for the first time in their long histories or for the first time in a long while (some 60 year old Vancouver fan who has gone to every Vancouver game since their inception finally getting to celebrate a Cup, for just one example, or the City of Ottawa, having to watch all those nearby Montreal celebrations over the years, finally having a celebration of their own for another example), than that is your choice I guess. But I do question your storytelling abilities!

Go to Top of Page

mytor4
Rookie

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the biggest [for me not the best] story would be the leafs winning the cup. bigger than the habs winning,bigger than a 1st time franchise winning and yes even bigger than crosby whinning opps i mean winning.this is my opinioin . there are many valid reasons made for other teams but unless you have been watching hockey for the last forty yrs you probably won't understand the significants of the leafs winning to the nhl and viewers.
all this comming from a habs fan me.nothing would be talked about more than the leafs winning. it compares to the red soxs winning the world series. half the nhl world dreds the leafs winning while the other half waits for the miracle to happen. it would be love and hated by both sides.what other team could bring in that kind of talks,debates,arguments.as for tv viewing the rates would go through the roof , again with the lovers vrs the haters.sorry but the biggest story that could happen in the nhl world would be seeing sundin lift the cup. the perfect story for me would be koivu lifting the cup.
ps for me i would hate to see the leafs win the cup more than to see the habs lose it and i bet that would go for most non-leaf fans.

Edited by - mytor4 on 03/27/2008 14:48:37
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  18:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Axey

I think anyone at the start of the year who predicted the Habs would be 13th in the East was simply not thinking very clearly. And I would have said that then! It's not just talking in retrospect. I don't care what "expert(s)" said it, if it is true that they were picked 13th, then, for reasons I have mentioned before, it was just a very very poor prediction in my mind. I honestly do not think the Habs making the playoffs is a surprise at all, zero, nada, bagel... - ABSOLUTELY 0% story on that level in my mind.

Okay, now if they finish Number 1 (a good possibility) that would defintely be a surprise (and they deserve credit for that of course), BUT I don't think them finishing anywhere between 3rd and 6th should be called anything more than a mild surprise - again, really nothing earth-shattering there in terms of a story line.

To me, if you are answering the question in this thread objectively, there has to be more to the Montreal story than the over-played "Noone picked this team" angle that is being spouted here, and that we going to hear more of (unfortunately) in the weeks to come. So what else is there? Carbs, Gainey, Muller winning YET AGAIN? The Habs having a rookie goalie lead them to a Cup YET AGAIN? Well if you think seeing multiple Cup winners take home YET ANOTHER Cup, or the Habs repeating what they have already done with a rookie goalie a couple of times in the last 40 years is a better, more touching or more heartwarming story than examples of teams winning for the first time in their long histories or for the first time in a long while (some 60 year old Vancouver fan who has gone to every Vancouver game since their inception finally getting to celebrate a Cup, for just one example, or the City of Ottawa, having to watch all those nearby Montreal celebrations over the years, finally having a celebration of their own for another example), than that is your choice I guess. But I do question your storytelling abilities!

Yes and i said nothing about making the playoffs i included the finishing first.... and i just dont care about ne other teams and the fact that they cant get the job done like the canadiens have over their time in the league ... also it would be saku koivu's first cup (he deserves it) and this drought is a HUGE drought for the canadiens ..i know not for ne other teams but for a team of greatness it is ... especially after having a BRUTAL 15 years with nothing to show for it ...but i think the whole story would awesome thats my opinion and u have yours... i will seriously consider suicide if the pens win just bc ...even if malkin gets 45346345 points and fleury doesn't let in a single goal... the headlines will still read "Crosby's return leads the Pens to their 3rd Cup in franchise history"
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  18:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by the look of the results alot of ppl do! ;p
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  20:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a GREAT story for you!

The Boston Bruins, a team that couldn't win any of their games against the Habs during the regular season, somehow figure out a way to pull off a major upset in the first round and knock off the heavily favoured Habs.

Why is this a great story?

1. BECAUSE I AM A BRUIN FAN! (lets get the obvious subjectivity part on the table right away).

2. It would be a great lesson to kids not to get despondent even when you are continually getting your ass kicked.

3. It would revitalize what was once a much more interesting rivalry.

4. The Bruins have lost sooooooo much to the Habs over the years. A Hab victory over the Bruins is not much of a story. A Bruin victory over the Habs is not only a HUGE story, it is a nice story of a down on their luck team and their struggling fans who have countless times been knocked this way and that way by hockey's 24 time Champs over the years, somehow, improbably, overcoming them this year of all years (24 time Champs! How many yachts do you greedy Hab fans need to ski behind?!).

You have to be pretty cold hearted not to see the heartening aspects of this story.

Sunday Morning Edit - think of it this way, even if a Boston fan is over 45 and therefore enjoyed the Bobby Orr days, there is not one single age group of Bruin fan out there that has not at some point suffered through a severe loss to the Gordon Gekko-like Habs and their "We are the chosen one" fans. Even the Bruin fans blessed to see Orr had to endure the '71 heartbreak. And though you young Hab fans are better than the older ones, you too have it way up on younger Bruin fans with those victories in 2002 and 2004 (and in 2002, the Bs looked like they had some chances in the East, kind of like Montreal this year). Seeing a young Bruin fan overjoyed by an astonishing turn the tables victory this year - now that is a terrific, wonderful, beautiful... story.

Edited by - andyhack on 04/06/2008 04:59:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page