Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2008 Northwest Divison Title Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4713
( )

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  16:20:12  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
As usual the NHL's Northwest Divison is as tight as ever. Who will take the title?

Choices:

Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Minnesota Wild
Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/17/2008 20:38:12

Datsyuk 1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
333 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  18:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not spelling bee champ but all those teams are spelt wrong and by the way Vancouver will win it.

Good defense is good offense!

Edited by - Datsyuk 1 on 03/17/2008 18:38:31
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  20:26:44  Reply with Quote
Im not a XXXX so I don't care he has a couple spelling mistakes...
Anyways, I think this is Colorado's year. Since acquiring Foote and Forsberg the Avs have went 8-3 which is pretty solid for down the stretch. Also they have a great mix of youth and experience which has helped them greatly and they are my pick to take the toughest division in hockey.

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/17/2008 20:47:03
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  20:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cleaned up the spelling. And although you may not care, part of the forum rules is to check your spelling on what you post.

Also, I added the Oilers. Although it is an outside shot, the Oilers still have a chance. They sit currently 9 points out with 9 games to play. The Oil are 8-2-0 in their last 10. If they play near that for the final 9, they will pick up about 16 more points. Colorado is the only other team that is over .500 in the past 10 games in the division.

If one of the teams in the NW slip in the last 9 games and Edmonton says hot, they might squeek in at 8th.

Not saying it's likely, but it is possible.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:05:44  Reply with Quote
I see there are a few Oiler fans on this site. So sorry about that. I believe the poll was for who would win the division, not who will make the playoffs. Just kidding Oily boys!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2788
( )

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:27:59  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6916

I see there are a few Oiler fans on this site. So sorry about that. I believe the poll was for who would win the division, not who will make the playoffs. Just kidding Oily boys!

Yeah c'mon folks stay on topic...and no the oilers won't make the playoffs... for at least another five years!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although the Flames have more road games than the rest of the teams I have to stick with my boys. Flames will take top spot.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2788

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6916

Yeah c'mon folks stay on topic...and no the oilers won't make the playoffs... for at least another five years!

This is just awesome. I love people that make posts without thinking. These same Oilers that are 8-2-0 in the last ten games. The same Oilers who have won 20 of 32 games since Jan 1. And doing this without 3 of their top 6 forwards and one of their top 3 defensemen??? And how about 16 of their starting 22 players are 25 years old or younger??

5 years?? They have an outside shot at this year, and if this team stays together, they will not only make the playoffs for the next 5 years, but they will have a team that will contend for the NW division title for years to come.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  15:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the votes are about as tight as the division. Very interesting!

Votes as of Mar 20:
Flames: 75
Avalanche: 55
Wild: 77
Canucks: 81
Oilers: 22

Go to Top of Page

Oil
Top Prospect

28 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  12:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel that they Oilers will quite possibly make the playoffs this year. They just have to beat the flames and hope that Vancouver wins the rest of it's games. The Oilers are going to make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  14:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NHL.com interestingly followed up the poll 'which race will mean the most to the playoff picture' in which the NorthWest division race ran away with the win, with a poll 'How many NorthWest teams will make the playoffs?' choices being 1-5.

If you think about it, it really doesnt matter who wins the division, it will only be by a couple points. Any team in the West is a contender, and that is no secret. The guy on ESPN, I forget his name, said the exact same thing last week.

Now, the teams we can assume are in:
Detroit
San Jose
Anaheim
Dallas

One team from the NorthWest will go home the loser, and though I doubt it, possibly two, if Nashville gets things going. I do not think that Edmonton can reach Dallas at this point.

When it comes down to it, the division is the tightest, but the title bears the least meaning come playoff time.

Looking at the divisions, the east races seem to mean the most:
SouthEast -- undoubtedly the most important divsion title in the league. Usually it is win the title or miss the post season

Atlantic / NorthEast - if you dont win you basically lose your chances at playing a low seeded team. Also, you pretty much lose home ice advantage

Western divisions: Who is going to have the hardest playoff team to play? Arguably, Detroit. The team that wins the final spot will need to be playing playoff hockey a month before the playoffs. Realistically, divisons mean nothing other than home ice advantage, as every team is hard in the West.

Take two minutes to join the PickUpHockey Cyber Cup!
http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3820#51395

Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  15:04:51  Reply with Quote
possibly the best division race there has ever been?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page