Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Great Debate- Comments Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  16:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was pondering ideas for a new topic when this came across me and I thought that we could give it a shot if people are interested.

My game/topic/whatever you want to call it is called The Great Debate.

The platform is that I am thinking that we have 16 forum members similar to LF_94's platform for his trivia game.

RULES:

- A strictly hockey topic is submitted, after a topic is chosen, 2 members will debate upon this topic.
- A vote will be taken by other members of the game to decide the winner of each round.
- The format that is included will be the same as that of the NHL Playoffs. So winner goes on to the next round and so forth.
- Every vote must be casted based on facts by the member and not seigneurity of the Member.

This is surely a work in progress. I am open to all suggestions of how to make this better and how it will be set up. But for now, I would also like to see who would be interested in doing this. I have some members in mind that I would for sure like to join. If this means not letting some people, then I am very sorry. But anyone is welcome to give some feedback and comments.

Members:
Leafs Rock Planet
Alex
99Pickles
Leafsfan_101
Beans15
Ethan
Bradthebaddad
Shinnyafterschool
OILINONTARIO
Paintrain
Patchy

Waiting List:

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 04/16/2008 16:03:52

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  18:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any feedback Alex, comments and/or suggestions?

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  03:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in simply for the fact that this is a new, creative and interesting way to stir more activity on the boards. I am also not short on opinions either !!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  03:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this idea. Unlike other topics that have found its waay onto the forums, this one is thought provoking and very interesting. I'm in.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  04:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Guys, so once we get enough people to join and the ideas start flowing, we will get this thing going.

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  05:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, i'm not very opinionated (that was sarcasm). I'm definitly in.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  10:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in.

Who picks the topics?

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im glad we are getting some people.

Im sorry Thorntonistheman and Hkalirah, but im gonna have to put you 2 on the waiting list for now but if there are not enough spots then you guys can surely join.

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 03/18/2008 13:28:00
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got only four out of the sixteen that you need, and already put two others on the backburner? Wow! Are you trying to humiliate these people, or are you just dead set on ensuring that this thread doesn't go anywhere?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be interested if I am worthy.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

You've got only four out of the sixteen that you need, and already put two others on the backburner? Wow! Are you trying to humiliate these people, or are you just dead set on ensuring that this thread doesn't go anywhere?

Yup thats what im trying to do Oilinontario. I just wanna throw this one right down the toilet and hope it never goes anywhere.

I hope Thorntonistheman and Hkalirah understand that this is nothing against them as I respect them tremensouly but as an attempt to get the most highly ranked and known members on this topic.

I explained in my last post(which you obviously didnt read) that if there are not enough people, then they would surely be included.

As I am not a man that holds grudges, I would definetely like for you to be in it OILINONTARIO. I know that you are oppiniated and this is my invite out to you.

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 03/18/2008 14:04:38
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  13:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I would be interested if I am worthy.

Of coarse Beans. But I hope you understand what I am trying to do and this is nothing against any member on these boards.

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  14:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty interesting idea. I have a few questions.
How do you determine what you are debating? What I mean is that I wouldn't want to have to argue the side I didn't agree with. Do the participants choose which side they argue?
And the point of this is to determine a Master Debater? Chuckling at my play on words there.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  14:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Pretty interesting idea. I have a few questions.
How do you determine what you are debating? What I mean is that I wouldn't want to have to argue the side I didn't agree with. Do the participants choose which side they argue?
And the point of this is to determine a Master Debater? Chuckling at my play on words there.

Im still trying to figure out the minor details on how the debating will work but any suggestions would be welcomed.

If you are interested I would love to have you in it Willus.

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  14:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the "Master Debater" (Thanks for pointing out the pun there Willus, LOL) Should be able to debate on any topic, whether they agree with it or not? That's my two cents.

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  14:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shinnyafterschool

Perhaps the "Master Debater" (Thanks for pointing out the pun there Willus, LOL) Should be able to debate on any topic, whether they agree with it or not? That's my two cents.

Would you be interested Shinny as I know that you like to get in on things?

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  14:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, how would this sound.

Format is that of a NCAA Tournament. So its basically you win or you are out. LRP will chose a topic and you claim what side of the discussion you want. If both people want the same side the creator, LRP, and the jury have to decide. The Jury can consist of the people on the waiting list. If there is a tie in the jury LRP makes the final call.

Debating goes like this. 5 posts to make your case, can be as long as you need. You cannot post consecutively. So it will be like a courtroom discussion in a way....opening statements, 3 posts of any length to plead your case, and closing statements.

I don't really like the idea of the other members playing the game voting, I would prefer if the jury did this. That way everyone is included, and the voting is definitely better and more legitimized. And if there is a tie I can only think of 1 person to break the tie....ADMIN (if he is okay with that).

How does this sound? Any questions/comments/concerns?

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  15:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll give it a whirl.
Don't like the idea of having to argue a side I don't agree with though.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  15:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Okay, how would this sound.

Format is that of a NCAA Tournament. So its basically you win or you are out. LRP will chose a topic and you claim what side of the discussion you want. If both people want the same side the creator, LRP, and the jury have to decide. The Jury can consist of the people on the waiting list. If there is a tie in the jury LRP makes the final call.

Debating goes like this. 5 posts to make your case, can be as long as you need. You cannot post consecutively. So it will be like a courtroom discussion in a way....opening statements, 3 posts of any length to plead your case, and closing statements.

I don't really like the idea of the other members playing the game voting, I would prefer if the jury did this. That way everyone is included, and the voting is definitely better and more legitimized. And if there is a tie I can only think of 1 person to break the tie....ADMIN (if he is okay with that).

How does this sound? Any questions/comments/concerns?

Im not sure LF_101. This idea seems somewhat confusing and possibly time consuming.

My idea is this. 2 members square off against eachother. Each member is allowed 3 statements(one opening, regular, and closing). You may choose to argue a point against your opponent or you may choose to agree. If the two members were to agree on something, the voting would be based on the person with the better hockey facts. Also if the two members were to disagree, voting would be based on which side had the more compelling argument.

I would like some input on which idea seems better.

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  15:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sincerely apologize if I came off judgemental. I wouldn't have been concerned if I didn't beleive that this is a fantastic idea. It's just, and I think many will agree with me, similar committee-based threads have been attempted recently, and most, if not all, have fallen short of the number of members designed to make the thread ideal. To half-snub these enthusiastic and committed individuals, I beleive, may bite you in the ass down the line. Having said that, I accept your invitation, and hope that this thread is 100% successful.

It kinda' ruins the point of a debate if there is no argument. If, by your idea, the two debaters who agree on the subject would be judged on knowledge, I tend to beleive that the greater hockey mind would make an even better 'devil's advocate' having that he has knowledge on both sides of the issue. Could make for some pretty compelling stuff!

Also, if you don't reach your quota of 16, you may consider each committe member submit an issue to which he feels strongly, and have all the others debate the point against him. This process of mass-debating has proven very therapeutic in psychological studies (especially for the youngsters). I am laughing out loud.

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 03/18/2008 15:59:23
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  16:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

I sincerely apologize if I came off judgemental. I wouldn't have been concerned if I didn't beleive that this is a fantastic idea. It's just, and I think many will agree with me, similar committee-based threads have been attempted recently, and most, if not all, have fallen short of the number of members designed to make the thread ideal. To half-snub these enthusiastic and committed individuals, I beleive, may bite you in the ass down the line. Having said that, I accept your invitation, and hope that this thread is 100% successful.

It kinda' ruins the point of a debate if there is no argument. If, by your idea, the two debaters who agree on the subject would be judged on knowledge, I tend to beleive that the greater hockey mind would make an even better 'devil's advocate' having that he has knowledge on both sides of the issue. Could make for some pretty compelling stuff!

Also, if you don't reach your quota of 16, you may consider each committe member submit an issue to which he feels strongly, and have all the others debate the point against him. This process of mass-debating has proven very therapeutic in psychological studies (especially for the youngsters). I am laughing out loud.

Glad to know that we have you on board.

I like your idea. I am still hoping that we reach the goal of 16 members so that we can have a playoff style format. Your idea will definetely be considered if we do not in fact reach our goal.

We should just play it by year for now though and try to spread the word of what I think could be a great success here.

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  17:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll give this a try, though I'm still not entirely sure what it is I am agreeing to be part of (as I recall, that's what my wife said when she agreed to marry me).
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  18:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear Andy.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  18:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of a bracket, win and you move on, lose and your are out. I think what you need to do it take the 8 different topics and have the members choose which side of the arguement they want. Make them current or old, common or obscure. Then, you can match up people based on their views of each topic.

I would also suggest trimming down the number of posts. I would suggest that you do a random draw to see who the home and away person is. Home guy posts first. Then away. Then one more each. 2 post from each personThen, the rest of the members vote on WHO PUT FORTH THE BEST ARGUEMENT. Not who they agree with or not, but who supported their point the best.

This repeats until there are two debaters left, and the winner is the supreme hockey prognostocator.

I would also suggest this. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If you use information that is not accurate to prove your point, you will get eaten alive.

Might as well etch in my name on the cup now, save yourself the time later.
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  20:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'll go in.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  04:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I like the idea of a bracket, win and you move on, lose and your are out. I think what you need to do it take the 8 different topics and have the members choose which side of the arguement they want. Make them current or old, common or obscure. Then, you can match up people based on their views of each topic.

I would also suggest trimming down the number of posts. I would suggest that you do a random draw to see who the home and away person is. Home guy posts first. Then away. Then one more each. 2 post from each personThen, the rest of the members vote on WHO PUT FORTH THE BEST ARGUEMENT. Not who they agree with or not, but who supported their point the best.

This repeats until there are two debaters left, and the winner is the supreme hockey prognostocator.

I would also suggest this. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If you use information that is not accurate to prove your point, you will get eaten alive.

Might as well etch in my name on the cup now, save yourself the time later.

I like that confidence Beans.

I am 100% for your idea as I think it is the one that makes the most sense and could be the most successfull.

Once we get enough people we'll take this baby and go.

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  13:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So am I in now or am I still on the waiting list?

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  13:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Thorntonistheman. I realized the mistake I was making so yes you are in now.

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  13:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok :) cool. And i understand what you were trying to do. no hard feelings!

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  13:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry again for that but its all been sorted out.

I am thinking that we shorten the amount of people that we need down to 12. This still gives us a nice even number that we can use.

We just need one more person now.

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 03/19/2008 16:28:48
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  18:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the "commissioner" should just pick one debater to be the home team (just like Beans suggested) and that combatant gets to pick the side of the argument that he/she so choses. The road team simply has to argue the other side...just like playing "Devil's Advocate" as previously mentioned. Also, just like Parliamentary Debate in college (although you typically know your side in advance, but nonetheless), it isn't necessarily about arguing your favourite side that pushes you to victory, it's your overall knowledge of the material, regardless of personal opinion, that gives you victory.

I am also glad that it was mentioned for voters to choose the side best argued, not to just vote for their own personal view on the topic.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9916
( )

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  16:43:38  Reply with Quote
Should there not also be a time limit established before we start this?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  16:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9916

I am not sure who this is as you are posting as a guest but yes there will most likely be a time limit.

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  16:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9916

Sorry, that were me.

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  14:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more member is all we need. Lets go guys!

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  19:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets get this thing going. Come on guys!!! 1 more member.

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  21:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there's space, I'd be happy to join :)

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  05:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definetely Patchy.

You are our 12th and final member of The Great Debate.

Once I know that everybody is still on board we will get this thing rolling.

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  06:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that everyone is still in this because most of the members are the most active. What are the matchups for Round 1?

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  08:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

I'm pretty sure that everyone is still in this because most of the members are the most active. What are the matchups for Round 1?

I will be doing a random draw to select the round one matchups. They will be in some time today.

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  08:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well sometime today was quicker than I thought. I was able to download this on a friends PC. It is a random draw software program. I matched up based on whos name were beside each other.

MEMBERS:
99Pickles
Andyhack
Hkalirah
Leafs Rock Planet
Leafsfan_101
Alex
Willus3
OILINONTARIO
Shinnyafterschool
Beans15
Patchy
ThorntonisTHEMAN

Pool 1:
99Pickles vs. Andyhack
Hkalirah vs. Leafs Rock Planet

Pool 2:
Leafsfan_101 vs. Alex
Willus3 vs. OILINONTARIO

Pool 3:
Shinnyafterschool vs. Beans15
Patchy vs. ThorntonisTHEMAN

If anybody has any problems with the matchups please let me know.

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page