Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Great Debate- Comments Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  09:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will feature some great matchups. When is this starting up?

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 03/23/2008 15:55:50
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  09:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it should maybe start up when everybody reports and says that they are ready.

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  09:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ready!

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 03/23/2008 14:15:14
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  10:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wish Shinny the most luck. If you can get past Beans, it would just be amazing.

And if there is any drop outs I'll be happy to step in. If not that's ok. I wish I would have took the time to read through this but no big deal. I'll be more then happy to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  11:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ready to go

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  11:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Paintrain but you will have to be on the waiting list. To bad Pain, it would have been nice to have you on board.

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  14:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anytime.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  03:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

I really wish Shinny the most luck. If you can get past Beans, it would just be amazing.

And if there is any drop outs I'll be happy to step in. If not that's ok. I wish I would have took the time to read through this but no big deal. I'll be more then happy to watch.

I need a little luck here too...I'm up against Andyhack!! Can I tag you in, paintrain??
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  04:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:

I need a little luck here too...I'm up against Andyhack!! Can I tag you in, paintrain??

Im not sure if you are serious pickles but if you would like, we can maybe make an exception for you and paintrain to be together. So this would work so that you make 2 statements and Pain can make your third one.

Thats only if you werent joking.

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 03/23/2008 04:53:06
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  14:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa, if anyone gets the tag-in it's me! I was the lucky one who drew beans out of the hat!

Perhaps we can rock-paper-scissors for Paintrain's help.

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  17:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha Ha I dont know Shinny. Maybe we should just forget about this tag team stuff. No offense to Pain.

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  18:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
99pcikles and Shinny here's my advice. You're going against two of the most respected forum members on this site. If you guys follow the elections, you see how negative they are to the opposition. DO THAT!!!! Don't do it in a disrespectful way but be a little negative about it!

And no tag teaming, the only way I'll go in is if someone drops out, either then that I'll just be reading these debates.

Good Luck to both of you!! It's like AndyHack is the 1st seed in the East and 99pickles is the 8th and Beans is the 1st place in the West and Shinny is the 8th. (Notice how I did that, AndyHack=Boston Bruins and Beans=Edmonton) PainTrain smart!!!! Wow I would do horrible in these debates. Anyways, good luck!!!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  18:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to be a good sport Pain.

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  18:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanna get this rolling. I think we could start tommorrow, with 99Pickles vs. Andyhack.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  18:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that could be a good idea. If Andyhack is around then it will happen.

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  18:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys - tomorrow is not so good for me actually - can we go from Tuesday or Wednesday?
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  19:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ready! and looking forward to this!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  19:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Hi guys - tomorrow is not so good for me actually - can we go from Tuesday or Wednesday?

Tuesday sounds good.

Good luck to everybody.

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  21:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if you mentioned this already..but how exactly will the topics be decided?

~~Go Leafs Go~~

Edited by - Patchy on 03/24/2008 00:09:31
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  23:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be ready either tomorrow evening or Wednesday. Tuesday might not be so great for me. But I am ready.

And I do appreciate the people who were give me and Andyhack the props!!

On a serious note, remember this. This is not about reputation or knowledge. Lord know if it was, Andy and Willus would wipe the floor with us all. Here the thing, it about this specific topic and this specific debate. Nothing more. Remember:

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! Use fact to support what you are supporting or clearly state that it is your opinion. Don't try to lay out bullsh*t because it won't work.

Let's dance Ladies!!!
Go to Top of Page

GoOilGo
Top Prospect

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  00:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha I was reading this and I'll be happy to route for the underdogs (like my Oilers) otherwise no disrespect to the overdogs (Beans, Andyhack) and others I don't know of because I'm new.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  05:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I will be ready either tomorrow evening or Wednesday. Tuesday might not be so great for me. But I am ready.

And I do appreciate the people who were give me and Andyhack the props!!

On a serious note, remember this. This is not about reputation or knowledge. Lord know if it was, Andy and Willus would wipe the floor with us all. Here the thing, it about this specific topic and this specific debate. Nothing more. Remember:

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! Use fact to support what you are supporting or clearly state that it is your opinion. Don't try to lay out bullsh*t because it won't work.

Let's dance Ladies!!!

Also I would like to add, that when you are voting for who you think one a round, try not to look at the members name when deciding a winner and try to look at who really did have the better hockey facts.

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  06:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I forgot to mention that I was off to a Track & Field Camp until Friday, If you end up waiting on me, let PT go. But if it works out that you can leave me untill last that would be great.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  06:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shinnyafterschool

Hey guys, I forgot to mention that I was off to a Track & Field Camp until Friday, If you end up waiting on me, let PT go. But if it works out that you can leave me untill last that would be great.

Ok Shinny.

If so then we will try and leave you and Beans untill the very end of the first round.

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  05:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey LRP - just read your post in the thread you created for the actual debate. What is the timing like for this? I've actually woken up to a very busy day workwise, and possibly busy week. Other than the odd late night post, I'm not sure how available I might be for this (this week anyway). I don't want to hold you up but if that presents a problem, maybe you should let Pain Train go for me.

It's an interesting topic though. It's just unfortunate timing. My work is project-oriented. When I have them, I grow a beard, don't sleep and sort of turn into Jack Nicholson from the Shining. When I don't have them, I am a happy-go-lucky bum googling quotes from Gump Worsley.

Edit - anyway, today is definitely out for me

Edited by - andyhack on 03/25/2008 06:00:50
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  12:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Hey LRP - just read your post in the thread you created for the actual debate. What is the timing like for this? I've actually woken up to a very busy day workwise, and possibly busy week. Other than the odd late night post, I'm not sure how available I might be for this (this week anyway). I don't want to hold you up but if that presents a problem, maybe you should let Pain Train go for me.

It's an interesting topic though. It's just unfortunate timing. My work is project-oriented. When I have them, I grow a beard, don't sleep and sort of turn into Jack Nicholson from the Shining. When I don't have them, I am a happy-go-lucky bum googling quotes from Gump Worsley.

Edit - anyway, today is definitely out for me

I was willing to let someone take my place altogether. I am not sure how it would work to do it in mid-debate. But it looks as though Paintrain will be my opponent.

Again, I will post my initial arguments during tonight's NHL action, but it won't be until 11-ish (EDT). Sorry about the lateness of it, but I have much running around to do tonight.

Could I also get an official ruling on who my opponent will be? It llooks like the Train is coming, but I just want a confirmation. Thanx.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  12:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still in, guess I'm up against LRP.

Did we ever decide on how we're picking the topics?

LRP, are you waiting for me to post? or do we let Pickles/Andyhack go first?

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  14:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pickles and PAINTRAIN will be the first match up. No rush Pickles.

I understand Andy. You know that I have nothing against you and I respect you tremensouly, but the timing is a bit off for everybody so I think we should let Paintrain take your spot.

It would have been great to have you on though.

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  14:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is only if Paintrain is still interested?

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  15:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you not deciding who gets to argue each side of the issue? What if they both agree? Sorry, but I don't think, given the choice, too many of us would argue that no-touch icing is a bad idea.

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  21:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I humbly submit to my esteemed fellow poster, Paintrain, and all other respected participants of these here hockey forums, the following....

No Touch Icing and the NHL's 'Fast' Response

A recurring issue has once again been brought to the forefront in light of another on-ice injury: Kurtis Foster suffers a broken femur on, of all things, an icing chase-down. A mostly benign and fringe event amongst all the goings-on of a hockey game has once again resulted in a season-ending injury. And it's not even the first time this season! Others include Alexei Ponikarovsky, Maxime Talbot and Mark Eaton (not the first time for him either).
So why doesn't the league just institute no-touch icing and be done with it? Al MacInnis suffered a dislocated hip back in the nineties, Mark Tinordi suffered a badly broken leg in the late eighties that ultimately ended his career after several attempts at a restart. This has been going on a LONG time; love him or hate him, Don Cherry has been championing this issue on Coach's Corner since the eighties!! So why the delay?
I'll tell you why...simply because the GM's vote against it every time the issue comes up at the annual summer meetings. Their sole reasoning being that it is an exciting moment in hockey. Strangely, however, in a recent poll of players , they voted in favour of the no-touch style. After all, THEY are the ones in danger of suffering career-ending injuries. And this coming from the group that still wants visors (and in some cases, helmets) to be optional !! If the players want certain protective elements to be optional, it's pretty stunning that they prefer protection on this issue.
And as for it being an exciting play in hockey... the vast majority of these chase-downs result in the predictable: whistle blown. So why not just save those few seconds wasted on the usual result of a done play, and use them on post-faceoff play BACK IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE. Isn't offensive pressure more exciting than than a race to a whistle?To use no-touch icing actually puts game-play time back on the clock for real game-play.
I consider international hockey to be VERY exciting - more-so than most NHL hockey - therefore no-touch icing isn't reducing any excitement level as far as I can see. That is a mistaken argument.
It's actually not stunning that the GM's have dragged their collective feet on this concern for so long. Up until the massive rule changes following this most recent lock-out, the league has always been slow to implement change: re-instituting regular season O/T after about 40 years when it was just a war-time restriction... switching to 6-man hockey years after the Pacific Coast league only because it meant paying for less players... only allowing forward passing in all three zones nearly 30 years after the league formed... just look at that track record.
Well what are they waiting for this time? Ludek Cajka already died in a European game due to an icing chase-down. So the NHL doesn't even have to wait for something to happen to one of their own. They already have their guinea pig.
This one's such a no-brainer, that I am stunned it wasn't put in a long time ago.

Statement #1

edited to fix this grammatically incorrect line: "This one's such a no-brainer, that I am stunned it wasn't been put in a long time ago."

Edited by - 99pickles on 03/25/2008 21:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  04:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

Are you not deciding who gets to argue each side of the issue? What if they both agree? Sorry, but I don't think, given the choice, too many of us would argue that no-touch icing is a bad idea.

Haha Pickles you posted your statment in the comments zone not the debate thread.Its ok.

And Oil, the way I see it is that its 50/50. You can choose no-touch, or touch icing. If each debater is on the same side, then they will battle it out based on facts.

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  07:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]

And Oil, the way I see it is that its 50/50. You can choose no-touch, or touch icing. If each debater is on the same side, then they will battle it out based on facts.

I'm just saying that the likelihood of finding anyone on this comittee to willfully take the opposing side to this debate is very slim, indeed. Having people debate from the same side of an issue makes for some pretty lame back-and-forth. Sorry, but it sounds a little like a circle-jerk to me.

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  08:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Son of a gun

Obviously I just noticed that !
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  09:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just realized I'm debating so give me some time to plan this all out. I'm gonna go on a limb and try to go against it. This could either work in my favour or destroy me!! My post will be tonight.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  10:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just realized I'm debating so give me some time to plan this all out. I'm gonna go on a limb and try to go against it. This could either work in my favour or destroy me!! My post will be tonight.

I think you have no choice but to go against it because I chose to go for it. There would be no debate otherwise
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  12:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if both people went for it then it would be based on who presented and executed their facts the best.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  12:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

I think if both people went for it then it would be based on who presented and executed their facts the best.

And that is exactly what I am trying to get at.

Also remember that every topic might not be as lobsided or one sided as this one.

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 03/26/2008 13:16:30
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  13:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Webster's New World Dictionary:

debate
1) to discuss opposing reasons; argue
2) to take part in a formal discussion or a contest in which opposing sides of a question are argued

Doesn't make sense otherwise.

Please remember that I am absolutely NOT trying to be a d***. I'm excited about this thread, and hope that it doesn't trail off the way so many others have.

One other consideration has to be the seeding after the second round of debates, when the winner of each of the three pools has been established. Do we vote on one to get a bye? Will there be a 3-way debate? Just troubleshooting. NOT being a d***.

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 03/26/2008 14:22:11
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  16:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

According to Webster's New World Dictionary:

debate
1) to discuss opposing reasons; argue
2) to take part in a formal discussion or a contest in which opposing sides of a question are argued

Doesn't make sense otherwise.

Please remember that I am absolutely NOT trying to be a d***. I'm excited about this thread, and hope that it doesn't trail off the way so many others have.

One other consideration has to be the seeding after the second round of debates, when the winner of each of the three pools has been established. Do we vote on one to get a bye? Will there be a 3-way debate? Just troubleshooting. NOT being a d***.

I was also thinking about the 3 pool problem which is why I originally wanted 16 people. There is always the oppurtunity of having a 3 person debate. Not sure how that would work though.

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page