Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Do the Oil have a legitimate chance to playoffs? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GoOilGo
Top Prospect

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  14:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the Oil have a legitimate chance to playoffs? They 8-2 there last 10 and also there last 8 or so games are against there divivison and also there whole division are fighting for there lives. My opinion is that they will and they have been on fire and they just have to go to a shootout and they win everygame in that situation. So will they?

Edited by - willus3 on 03/20/2008 12:39:07

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  14:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loving the anology, the Oil is on fire? Haha.

Honestly though, I think this team is a lot like the one that took that cup run in 06. They are young underdogs that are passionate throughout, and are peaking at just the right time. I see no reason they can not get in.

All aboard the Price bandwagon

EDIT: Can all the members who look at this join the PickUpHockey Cyber Cup? It only will take two minutes, I am trying to get participation from all the active members. All you need to do for now is read the intro and tell me you will join. Time is of the essence. Thanks guys, I know I can count on you
This is the link:
http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3820#51395

Edited by - Alex on 03/24/2008 11:28:31
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  14:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is certainly getting quite interesting. Roloson has kicked ass in his last two starts, and the youngsters are picking up the slack offensively in the absence of Horcoff, Moreau, and Souray. Van seems to be losing steam, and can't cope with its injury situation, but the Flames are getting stronger all around, and Colorado dealt with its problems at the deadline. If it was just a matter of outplaying Nashville and one of these other teams, I'd give the Oil a 65% shot at 'The Game'. Unfortunately, with Calgary, the Avs, and the Nucks in the fold, It's pretty much all or none from here on in. I hope I'm wrong.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  21:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I can say is that it will be exciting!!

If the Oilers can win the 6 of their last 8 games and any of the other teams slip, it will happen.

What are their chances?? Still pretty low but a guy can dream.
Go to Top of Page

Datsyuk 1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
333 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  22:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya they have a unlikely chance but they could pull it off, in my mind.

Good defense is good offense!
Go to Top of Page

Nash14
Top Prospect

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  23:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The oils won't the Phoenix Coyotes have a better chance.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  03:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nash14

The oils won't the Phoenix Coyotes have a better chance.

hmmm, interesting

Phoenix is 4-6-0 in their last 10 while the Oil are 8-2. The Oilers are also 2 points ahead of Phoenix, and did I mention that Phoenix just had their a$$es handed to them 8-4, by which team again??? Oh ya, it was the Oilers.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7699
( )

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  06:42:21  Reply with Quote
No.

They've already pushed hard to get where they are now. There is no conceivable way that they can maintain that pace for the balance of the season AND have the teams just above them not play well enough to stay just a few points ahead.

According to the FAN 590 this morning when they were talking to Nick Kipreos (sp), they said some stats guru at a University went through the numbers and calculated that the Oil have just over a 13% chance to make the playoffs.

The Leafs... just over 2%. ;)

Have a nice day. Go Habs, or Sens, or Flames, of Canucks!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  08:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a story that would be, if they made it.

The Oil have really snuck up on a lot of teams the last twelve games or so . . . can they continue that torrid pace against the very tight, very good Northwest division? Probably not, but stranger things have happened.

Perspective - The Oilers' record against the teams they play from here on in, playing each twice, once home, once away:
vs VAN - 3wins, 5 losses
vs CGY - 5 wins, 3 losses
vs COL - 1 win, 4 losses, 1 otl
vs MIN - 2 wins, 3 losses, 1 otl

Only one winning record there, and of course, all those teams will have something to play for, probably until the very last game. It'll be the hard way, or no way . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  08:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think they will come out kinda like the Avs did last year. Make an amazing run at the end of the season (like they are doing now) but will come out a few points short. But here's hoping the get in instead of Vancouver! Vancouver is the most boring team to watch in the playoffs!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

Edited by - ThorntonisTHEMAN on 03/20/2008 08:14:08
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  08:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Oilers are currently 5 points out of a playoff spot.

They have 8 remaining games. Breaking down the games, they’ll be playing each of the 4 teams in their division twice.

I think if they have a shot, they need to win at least 6 of the 8 games. Also, each of the games will have to be won in regulation, as they can’t afford to give up a “loser point” to teams ahead of them in the standings.

Can they make it? Sure they can, as anything is possible in the NHL.

Will the make it? Probably not, it’s too little too late, especially since the team seems to have a hard time winning in regulation.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  09:38:26  Reply with Quote
vancouver plays boring hockey? did you see the last edm vs van game? possibly the most entertaining game of the year
Go to Top of Page

Guest6555
( )

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:07:34  Reply with Quote
No.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No but i watched Vancouver in the playoffs last year. ANd personally, i absolutely hate watching them play. They bore me. The only good thing about watching them is watching Luongo make huge saves.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

vancouver plays boring hockey? did you see the last edm vs van game? possibly the most entertaining game of the year

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  14:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

What a story that would be, if they made it.

The Oil have really snuck up on a lot of teams the last twelve games or so . . . can they continue that torrid pace against the very tight, very good Northwest division? Probably not, but stranger things have happened.

Perspective - The Oilers' record against the teams they play from here on in, playing each twice, once home, once away:
vs VAN - 3wins, 5 losses
vs CGY - 5 wins, 3 losses
vs COL - 1 win, 4 losses, 1 otl
vs MIN - 2 wins, 3 losses, 1 otl

Only one winning record there, and of course, all those teams will have something to play for, probably until the very last game. It'll be the hard way, or no way . . .

Think your math is a little off.
vs. Van 3w - 3l
vs. Cal 3w - 3l
vs. Col 1w - 4l - 1 otl
vs. Min 2w - 3l - 1 otl

So, combined the Oilers are 9-13-2. Not a great record, I will agree. However, they are .500 in their last 10 games against the NW.

I still am not convinced they will make it, but they will be close.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  15:46:28  Reply with Quote
one thing to conisder though is that there 3 wins against the canucks and im sure a few against the other have all came in a SO. Its not like they have been playing amazing hockey against the Division, and with games in the div only remaining i doubt they will do any better then 9th
Go to Top of Page

Ovie08
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  16:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya they will make the playoffs in my mind. They do got young talent so in the years to come they will be like Pittsburgh.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9916
( )

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  16:36:21  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ovie08

Ya they will make the playoffs in my mind.

If only the playoffs were held in your mind........
Go to Top of Page

Guest6679
( )

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  20:43:42  Reply with Quote
Final Score: Vancouver 4 Edmonton 1

Does that help make the realstic picture more clear?

Sounds like the same crap that we heard in Toronto about the Leafs' "playoff drive" was being spewed in Edmonton too.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  22:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not being spewed in Edmonton?? I live here and most if not all the people think that it is too late. But still, a fan that has a chance will always believe.

Still 7 games, if they win 6 of them, there is still a chance.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  18:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well.. judging how much better the western conference is than the eastern conference. id say my leafs have a better chance than the oilers. and lets say even though the leafs have been playing good its not looking to bright, so edmonton has as much as a chance at making the playoffs as oprah winfrey turning down a bucket of chicken

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  10:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Edmonton loses today, there is no coming back. They have to win at least 6 of the last 7 games and other teams still need to lose.

And I would put the Oilers against Toronto without question and have my money on the Oilers. That's not a fan talking, that is a gambler.
Go to Top of Page

GoOilGo
Top Prospect

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  20:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They just beat Colorado 7-5 and Colorado is the team to beat.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  21:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what'dya know theey may still have a chance.. but so do my leafs, just beat sens 5-4 and even though boston the current 8th place holder who lost to the habs today has a game in hand on toronto if the leafs beat them in their next 2 meetings both times and washington and buffalo keep losing(and ovie stops scoring) looks whos got 8th place

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  08:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right in your correction, Beans - I had been going through and looking at the actual games the Oil played against their division rivals, and my counting was a bit off.

Solid win last night . . . man they are on some kind of scoring tear, here's hoping they can keep it up. My thinking is, the upcoming games against Colorado and Vancouver are must wins, with them needing at least, say, 3 points from the one Minne and two Calgary games.

The way they've been playing it seems doable; but the Colorado and Vancouver games will be real tough.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page