Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Philadelphia Captain? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  03:09:30  Show Profile
Poll Question:
who do you should be Philadelphia's Captain??

Choices:

Daniel Briere
Simon Gagne
Jason Smith
Jeff Carter
Mike Richards
Joffrey Lupul
Mike Knuble
Kimmo Timonen
Scott Hartnell
Other(who?)

Edited by - PhillyFan12 on 10/28/2008 14:40:01

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  12:30:49
After being an Oilers fan all 14 years of my life I can say without a doubt in my mind that Jason Smith is there man. This guy is a living definition of heart when it comes to hockey. He is a relentless checker, fearless shot blocker and an overall great leader.
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  15:16:04  Show Profile
I think Simon Gagne should be the captain.
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  15:28:20  Show Profile
Richards should be. He has stepped up this year and had a better year then there Big Free Agent Signing Briere and Phillyfan how do you give it to Gagne he already has turned down the C and after all his concussions does he even know what team he plays for?

Go Stars
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  16:07:22  Show Profile
Just because a player is skilled doesn't mean that they should be awarded the C. Crosby shouldn't be a C, Richards, Gagne or Briere shouldn't have a C.

A captain should be someone who has been there and done that and knows how to handle key situations in a season or game. They have to be able to have the influence in their locker room to make their team better then how their team looks on paper. And the only people who can do this are vetrens, the ones who know how to handle these situations because thy've arised before.

Because of this my vote goes to Jason Smith.

Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  04:07:25  Show Profile
leafsfan_101 is right.It dont have to be the most skilled player on the team.
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  12:56:45  Show Profile
Richards is my pick tho.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2300
( )

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  12:33:35
I think Philadelphia's captain should be smith.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  23:55:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Just because a player is skilled doesn't mean that they should be awarded the C. Crosby shouldn't be a C, Richards, Gagne or Briere shouldn't have a C.

A captain should be someone who has been there and done that and knows how to handle key situations in a season or game. They have to be able to have the influence in their locker room to make their team better then how their team looks on paper. And the only people who can do this are vetrens, the ones who know how to handle these situations because thy've arised before.

Crosby without the C? I think he rightfully deserves the Captain status. He changed the whole look of that team. He is mature way beyond his years and never thinks about individual accomplishments. He is a born leader and I don't care if he's 20 or 40, he deserves the C.

Edit- Jason Smith is their Captain for the next couple years. Then it will be Mike Richards.

Edited by - PainTrain on 04/12/2008 23:56:44
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  08:54:05  Show Profile
Richards has great leadership but I think its a year or two too early for him, my vote goes to Smith for now
Go to Top of Page

Guest2381
( )

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  09:40:21
Phillys coach thought Richards was that good he wanted him on the team for a couple of years.But he might be bad next year.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  11:57:12
Gagne since hes been through the thick and the thin not to mention he was the Captain until he got hurt so I think they should stick with not only the goal scoring leader but the captain as well
Go to Top of Page

Guest4133
( )

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  09:09:08
Kimmo Timonen AND Jason Smith had been longtime captains before signing with Philly. Either would be my pick.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2253
( )

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  11:22:56
kimmo timonen
Go to Top of Page

lastlineofd
Top Prospect

13 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  12:18:22  Show Profile
Watching Smith captain the Oilers is all I needed to make this decision. Although not the most skilled, he was the heart of that team. Always gave 100% in a gritty workmanlike fashion. Although not my team (Oilers), always had the greatest respect for Jason Smith. Its Torres that pisses me off
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  03:10:17  Show Profile
well Timmonen is a bit a team leader but not good enough to be the C.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8808
( )

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  11:49:39
sid the kid should be a captain he has so much heart that is my response to this

Posted - 04/04/2008 : 16:07:22
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Guest2047
( )

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  15:47:30
agreed.. It's not supposed to be the most skilled player... offensive player... or best player... it's about character, determination,and leadership. That said, Richards is the PERFECT captain for the flyers. He was given the C long before this breakout year of his, so obviously it was given to him for the right reasons. The fact that he has raised his game and is an offensive force now is just a plus. Noone better deserving than Richards, who the people in the Philly organization compare to Bobby Clarke the 'player'. How's that for a compliment.
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  16:02:42  Show Profile
Smith is a good C
Go to Top of Page

Guest6646
( )

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  01:26:33
I bet if you asked this question before game 3 less people would have picked Richards.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6646
( )

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  01:33:12
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4912

Gagne since hes been through the thick and the thin not to mention he was the Captain until he got hurt so I think they should stick with not only the goal scoring leader but the captain as well

Gagne was never captain this year.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  13:43:57
not EVERYBODY can be a captain........Lupul, Knubel, no these guys dont know the first thing about it, it takes heart,courage, determination, leadership, all the aspects of teh game rolled into one. And no I'm not saying all of your choices are bad but at least slim it down to who might deserve it. (smith, HATCHER)
Go to Top of Page

Guest2914
( )

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  10:11:06
I think Smith
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  10:46:15  Show Profile
smith might have the most experience but gagne has been there since his rookie year and has shined and led the team every year.

gagne is my pic

second would be smith then richards..

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  11:26:59  Show Profile
Not sure if anyone else read about Jason Smith, but the guy played with not one but two dislocated shoulders in the playoffs.

When you look at a captain, it doesn't matter if they are offensively skilled or not, if they have been there before or not, or anything else. There is only one question to ask:

Can this guy be the role model of everything we want our hockey team to be???

That's it. It's different for each team.

I don't know about any of you, but if I am in a dressing room with a guy getting suited up with two separated shoulders, I would go through a brick wall with him.

That is a captain
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  11:38:05  Show Profile
I watched Richards play in Kitchener and he was a great captain for the Rangers. However, I think when you got a guy like Jason SMith on your team, you have to make him captain! Richards will be Phili's captain in a few years but not yet. With that being said, none of us know the dressing room situation and such so we only know how the teams react to players and their leadership through the media. The coaches can see who the players respect the most and who is the most deserving of the "C" and will make their decision based on that.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  11:49:30  Show Profile
I've often wondered why the coach and management are the ones making that decision. For a captain, I would think you want the player that the team will play for. I had a few coaches eons ago when I used to play at the tier 1 level who tried that, had the players vote for who they thought should be captain. Worked pretty well back then.
It gave me...oops, the captain, the ability to be able to speak up when needed, and usually, the team responded.
Kinda takes the whole stats thing out of the equation that way, the players know who is their leader.

Just a thought.

Edited by - fat_elvis_rocked on 07/02/2008 11:50:48
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  12:27:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

I've often wondered why the coach and management are the ones making that decision. For a captain, I would think you want the player that the team will play for. I had a few coaches eons ago when I used to play at the tier 1 level who tried that, had the players vote for who they thought should be captain. Worked pretty well back then.
It gave me...oops, the captain, the ability to be able to speak up when needed, and usually, the team responded.
Kinda takes the whole stats thing out of the equation that way, the players know who is their leader.

Just a thought.

This is the way my team's did it too...every single one of them. Works the way it should, the right guy is picked, it is way more of an honour this way (when it is your peers that voted you the C). It's actually better for management this way too. If they want to send a message to the locker room through the guy THEY picked, he might not be as comfortable communicating it, but if it's the guy that the TEAM picked, he feels the responsibility of running straight to that dressing room to communicate it.
The team vote is the only way to do this.

Oh yeah, I voted Smith on this for obvious reasons, and Richards isn't the guy just yet, but will be soon.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:48:03  Show Profile
Just as a side note, Jason Smith is a UFA. He is also coming off a fairly decent injury.

The rumor I heard is that he might end up in Calgary as a #5 or #6 d-man. Smith has his main residence just outside of Calgary, so it kind of makes sense for him on a personal level.

As an Oil fan, that would be hard to stomach!
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  22:07:42  Show Profile
Until recent events one may have thought that he might show back up in Edmonton. I'm not so sure now...
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  22:20:11  Show Profile
I would say Gagne or Timmonen (he was captain in Nashville)

Edited by - pensfan17 on 07/05/2008 22:20:26
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  12:30:50  Show Profile
yeah
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:08:11  Show Profile
Richards turns out to be the captain eh,, not bad

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  17:31:51  Show Profile
i heard richards is the new captain for philly.
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  03:17:43  Show Profile
I thought Breire was going to be the new captain for philly,but it was richards.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2253
( )

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  11:47:14
Briere should be the capatain for philly.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  12:57:25  Show Profile
Richards is the best choice for captain his obvious leadership skills, his on ice skills. It was a very good choice for philly to name him captain.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  10:55:09  Show Profile
Briere and Richards are good choices but richards got more leadership skills what Canucks Man said.He is a good choice for philly but briere has more fancy tricks but that dont mean alot.It just means hes a good player and talented.Smith is also a good choice to,good leadership skills like richards.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  01:39:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PhillyFan12

Smith is also a good choice to,good leadership skills like richards.

Smith is now a Senator, he signed as a free agent there.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  14:14:09  Show Profile
Yeah i know,i heard smith went to ottawa,man,why did he have to go ottawa.i mad.he was a good defenceman.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2220
( )

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  06:27:36
briere is my pick.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page