Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Curious?? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  08:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just looking at nhl.com and Washington is sitting in 3rd with 92 points with one game left and Carolina is sitting in 9th with 92 points and no games left. It doesnt show that washington has the spot clinched. They have more wins than Carolina so dont they allreadu have a playoff berth clinched?

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  09:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked as well. Carolina has 43 wins and 92 points while Washington as 42 wins and 92 points. So no, Washington has not clinched yet. They need at least one point. Here is the breakdown:

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won.
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

So Washington is only in 3rd because they have the same number of points as Carolina and have played fewer games.

The math is simple for tonight. One game matters.

Win or Overtime for Washington and we get at least 4 more games of Ovechkin's magic.

A Washington Loss and we get Carolina!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page