Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2008 Playoffs - Who's taking it? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  09:50:20  Show Profile
Poll Question:
All the teams are set for the NHL's 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The question is simple - who will win it all?

Choices:

Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Detroit Red Wings
San Jose Sharks
Minnesota Wild
Other (and why??)

Edited by - Beans15 on 08/29/2008 17:59:00

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  09:59:10  Show Profile
i an going to say detroit its just there number 1 in the nhl. so that gives them the best chance right. but then san jose is doing really well too. but the only downsides i see in detroit winning is their goaltending, and that there always first on the nhl and they always come up short

maybe this is the year

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  10:07:34  Show Profile
Posted - 07/03/2007 : 09:39:08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously the Rangers did the most to improve their team. They were already a East Conf. 1/4 finalist and had the skills to knock off the Sabres. Now, they lost Nylander(who is a very good player) but pick up Gomez and Drury. They are building themselves to be a play off team. They might not sweep through the reg season very well, but come play-off time, they should be awesome. I still think they are a d-man away from the cup, but that might still come.

2nd place goes to Colorado. They were 19-2-3 in the last 24 games of the season. They had 2-7 game losing streaks and and 8 games losing streak last year. Add Smyth to the mix with an eager Joe Sakic to go out on top. Couple that will Hedjuk, Wolski, Stastny, Brunette and Arnason up front. Then throw Hannan on the back with Skrastins, Leopold, and Liles. Plus, they are losing only 6 player to UFA and still will have around $10 million left under the cap. If they can keep some of that magic from the end of last year, they will be a very dangerous team. On paper they have the tools to compete with the Ducks, Sharks, and Wings

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??

Take a look at the date I posted this!! Wow, am I ever good.

And yes, I am going other and saying that the Rangers will take the Cup this year.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  15:23:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Posted - 07/03/2007 : 09:39:08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously the Rangers did the most to improve their team. They were already a East Conf. 1/4 finalist and had the skills to knock off the Sabres. Now, they lost Nylander(who is a very good player) but pick up Gomez and Drury. They are building themselves to be a play off team. They might not sweep through the reg season very well, but come play-off time, they should be awesome. I still think they are a d-man away from the cup, but that might still come.

2nd place goes to Colorado. They were 19-2-3 in the last 24 games of the season. They had 2-7 game losing streaks and and 8 games losing streak last year. Add Smyth to the mix with an eager Joe Sakic to go out on top. Couple that will Hedjuk, Wolski, Stastny, Brunette and Arnason up front. Then throw Hannan on the back with Skrastins, Leopold, and Liles. Plus, they are losing only 6 player to UFA and still will have around $10 million left under the cap. If they can keep some of that magic from the end of last year, they will be a very dangerous team. On paper they have the tools to compete with the Ducks, Sharks, and Wings

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??

Take a look at the date I posted this!! Wow, am I ever good.

And yes, I am going other and saying that the Rangers will take the Cup this year.

haha i had to edit my post i finaly saw the dates you meant..... well i think you called it long before me,,
i agree i posted a thread a couple weeks back calling the rangers,, for at least winning the east but now i'm thinking washington,,, its deffinetly going to be one of the two

Pasty

Edited by - Pasty7 on 04/06/2008 15:26:35
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  14:44:39  Show Profile
Call me crazy but I think there are two team that can take home the Cup, San Jose and ...... Ottawa. Why Ottawa? Well, the choice here is quite simple actually.

1). Ottawa has defeated Pittsburgh last year. Who's to say they can't do it again.

2). Ottawa has added leadership to their team with the acquisitions of Mike Commodore and Cory Stillman. These two players are clutch playoff performers and will definitely help. Add to the fact that Pittsburgh is still relatively inexperienced and don't have much playoff experience.

3). Ottawa went to the Finals before, and know how to win in the playoffs. No doubt that the experience last year is going to pay off this year.

4). Despite the bad play of Ottawa's goaltenders this year, they are goalies capable to step it up when it matters most. They have forwards that can score and have a good defence. If they can raise their play to the level of last year, the Cup is theirs.

I think, if the players believe they can win, they will. I can really see them winning, and it makes sense to me. Remember, I'm calling this over Bob Mckenzie and Pierre McGuire. So I get all the praise when they win. One thing that will hurt the Sens is lack of home ice advantage. But if they can keep a god head on their shoulders they should be able to win. It just makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  15:31:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Call me crazy but I think there are two team that can take home the Cup, San Jose and ...... Ottawa. Why Ottawa? Well, the choice here is quite simple actually.

1). Ottawa has defeated Pittsburgh last year. Who's to say they can't do it again.

2). Ottawa has added leadership to their team with the acquisitions of Mike Commodore and Cory Stillman. These two players are clutch playoff performers and will definitely help. Add to the fact that Pittsburgh is still relatively inexperienced and don't have much playoff experience.

3). Ottawa went to the Finals before, and know how to win in the playoffs. No doubt that the experience last year is going to pay off this year.

4). Despite the bad play of Ottawa's goaltenders this year, they are goalies capable to step it up when it matters most. They have forwards that can score and have a good defence. If they can raise their play to the level of last year, the Cup is theirs.

I think, if the players believe they can win, they will. I can really see them winning, and it makes sense to me. Remember, I'm calling this over Bob Mckenzie and Pierre McGuire. So I get all the praise when they win. One thing that will hurt the Sens is lack of home ice advantage. But if they can keep a god head on their shoulders they should be able to win. It just makes sense.

HAHAHAHA ....OTTAWA???
Yes I am calling you crazy!!

1) Yes Ottawa defeated Pittsburgh last year. Pittsburgh is a year older and also a year wiser.

2)Pittsburgh has also added some great additions in Marian Hossa and Hal Gill. How can you call Cory Stillman and Mike Comodore clutch playoff performers? They have never proven themsleves to be standouts during the post-season. Yes they've been there, that meens squat. Yes Stillman has played decently but far from standout. And, yes he has scored 2 series clinching goals but but but but....ITS CORY STILLMAN. We are not talking about a guy of Ovechkin or Crosbys playing ability.

3)OK Ottawa went to the finals. I obviously cant argue about that.

4)Their goalies are capable. But, are not consistent by any stretch of the word. Gerber in my opinion, is a backup and Emery, in my opinion is a Sh** disturber in the locker room. Their defence is ya capable but, yes inconsistent. There is no chance they will raise their game to that of last year and there is no way the cup is theirs.

I really cant see them winning. And you dont have to worry about Bob Mckenzie and Pierre Mcguire calling it after you, because it will never happen.

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  15:53:46  Show Profile
Cory Stilman is good in the post-season what are you talking about. He has been on 2 Cup winners in 3 years and has played well in the playoffs. Commodore won a Cup as well, with Carolina (and made the finals with Calgary). These are 2 guys that know how to win, and thier experience is something that can't be measured on paper.

Emery led the Sens to the finals last year, and he would love to do it again. Also Martin Gerber has had a chance to be a starter and has missed out on being the go-to-guy in the postseason. He knows that this is his time, and I believe that he will run with it.

The playoffs are a new season, and regular season accomplishment mean nothing. Anything can happen. and anything will happen. But the most valuable thing to posses is to have players that know how to handle playoff pressure and help the young players shine. Experience is key, and th Sens are loaded with it. Thats not a bad thing.

**EDIT** I looked at the Ottawa/Pittsburgh season series. Ottawa won 3 of the 4 games, and lost the other one 6-5 in OT.

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 04/07/2008 19:00:06
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  22:28:04  Show Profile
I would say that both of the past two posts have very valid points. Which I why I think either team could win that series and why that I the only first round series I would not put money on.
Go to Top of Page

Dizzle
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  02:16:09  Show Profile
I noticed that Anaheim wasn't listed as an option which I found quite surprising. The only difference between last years team and this years is the loss of McDonald and Penner, and the additions of Bertuzzi, Schneider, and Bobby Ryan. Getzlaf just seems to keep getting better and Selanne had turned it on as of late as well. There is no question the Ducks have the best back-end in the league with 3 premier defensmen in Pronger, Niedermayer, and Schneider. They also have the best 3rd line in Moen, Pahlsson (great on face offs too), and R. Niedermayer. Giguere has proven that he can get the job done in the playoffs twice now, and there isn't any reason to think that this year will be any different. For these reasons I think they'll do it again.

As you can tell by the Iginla picture I got, I'm a Flames fan; however, I find it hard to see the boys taking out San Jose (although I will be cheering for them though!). Thornton seems to have an intensity to him this year that I haven't seen before (getting kicked out of the game last night... who'd a thunk it). It's amazing what one player can do... since the addition of Campbell, the team has been practically unbeatable. The power play is crazy, and the key players are all starting to pick up their play (Marleau, Michalek, Pavelski).

The team from the east will be Pittsburgh. Sometimes you just get a feeling, and this year I got a feeling that Fleury is going to come through down the stretch. With the fire power of Crosby, Malkin, Sykora, Malone, Hossa, Gonchar, Whitney, and gritty guys like Larouque, Ruutu, and Roberts... they will be a force.

If You Don't Like It, Learn To Like It!
Dizzlicious
Go to Top of Page

Dizzle
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  02:27:59  Show Profile
In case anyone is doing a pool and you think I have some valid points above, here are some predictions:

First Round:
Montreal vs Boston - Montreal
Pittsburgh vs Ottawa - Pittsburgh
Washington vs Philadelphia - Philadelphia
New Jersey vs NY Rangers - NY Rangers
Detroit vs Nashville - Detroit
San Jose vs Calgary - San Jose :(
Minnesota vs Colorado - Colorado
Anaheim vs Dallas - Anaheim

Second Round:
Montreal vs Philadelphia - Philadelphia
Pittsburgh vs NY Rangers - Pittsburgh
Detroit vs Colorado - Colorado
Anaheim vs San Jose - Anaheim (toughest series to predict, so a good team to hedge your pool on... 'cause whoever wins this one is going all the way. I'm still sticking with Anaheim though)

Third Round:
Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia - Pittsburgh
Anaheim vs Colorado - Anaheim (although if SJ, they would win)

Finals:
Anaheim vs Pittsburgh - Anaheim Repeats!!!

Dizzlicious
Go to Top of Page

Dizzle
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  13:12:40  Show Profile
Just watched the tsn and sportsnet predictions and everyone is on the washington bandwagon. Sure Huet has been hot in the past 10 games. but why is everyone writing off Biron. Last year him and Miller were fighting it out for starting rights in Buffalo and he seems to be turning it up a notch at the right time (two shutouts to end the year). If he keeps it up you can call the goalies a wash. As for forwards, the caps have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Fedorov (experienced), and Semin. Basically one line (a very good one). Philly has Briere (experienced) , Richards, Timonen (experienced), Carter, Knuble, Lupul (experienced), Umberger, Hartnell (experienced), Hatcher (experienced), Upshall, Coburn. With that many solid players, the favorite has got to be Philly.

Dizzlicious
Go to Top of Page

fanatic1
Top Prospect

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  22:35:23  Show Profile
The winner will be the NY Rangers. This team was inconsistent throughout the year but when the games mattered their level of play was at its best. This team was built for playoff hockey. The MVP will be Lundqvist.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  04:44:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dizzle

Just watched the tsn and sportsnet predictions and everyone is on the washington bandwagon. Sure Huet has been hot in the past 10 games. but why is everyone writing off Biron. Last year him and Miller were fighting it out for starting rights in Buffalo and he seems to be turning it up a notch at the right time (two shutouts to end the year). If he keeps it up you can call the goalies a wash. As for forwards, the caps have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Fedorov (experienced), and Semin. Basically one line (a very good one). Philly has Briere (experienced) , Richards, Timonen (experienced), Carter, Knuble, Lupul (experienced), Umberger, Hartnell (experienced), Hatcher (experienced), Upshall, Coburn. With that many solid players, the favorite has got to be Philly.

Dizzlicious

Yes, Philly has the experience. But Washington has the heart and the momentum! They have been unbeatable as of late and they are rolling! Philly, on the other hand, has talent coming out of its ears yet they have been inconsistent all year. You can have all the experience in the world but it comes down to who wants to win more. And Washington has been fighting since January. Ovechkin is the most clutch player in the league and i don't think it starts now. Caps in 6.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Dizzle
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:20:34  Show Profile
Yes, Philly has the experience. But Washington has the heart and the momentum! They have been unbeatable as of late and they are rolling! Philly, on the other hand, has talent coming out of its ears yet they have been inconsistent all year. You can have all the experience in the world but it comes down to who wants to win more. And Washington has been fighting since January. Ovechkin is the most clutch player in the league and i don't think it starts now. Caps in 6.

Brett Hull.

True Washington is hot like fire going into the playoffs, but a lot of people didn't notice that Philly went 7-2-1 in their last 10 games as well (only 4 teams did better). I didn't realize it, but the Flyers also have seven 20 goal scorers. 7 of them! I'll be cheering for Ovechkin, but if I had to make a bet, I'd still have to go with Philadelphia.

Dizzlicious
Go to Top of Page

MarkhamMax
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:29:23  Show Profile
San Jose. They have all the ingredients. I won't get philosophical - just my hunch based on watching the season unfold. It's all a crap shoot.

"Take two pucks to the head and call me in the morning".
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:31:25  Show Profile
Without a doubt, I think the winner is coming from the West.

I'd like to be a homer and say that Detroit is going to take it, however I'm smart enough to realize that both San Jose & Anaheim are going to be tough as well.

Whichever one of these three teams gets better goaltending and can stay the healthiest is going to win.

GO WINGS GO!

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

bigwitzy
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:37:16  Show Profile
Anaheim.... Quite simple, one of the top three playoff goalies playing right now. At almost all times either Pronger or Neidermeyer are on the ice, Getzlaf is having his best season ever and the Finnish Flash is back!! Not to mention Anaheims 3rd and 4th D are Schneider and Beauchemin. Lets not forgot about Perry and the experience Weight brings to the mix.
LOOK OUT!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:56:36  Show Profile
yes, the Flyers have been hot lately. yet this entire season they have have a lot of ups and downs. Washington, on the other hand, was absolutely terrible in the frist half of the season. In fact, going into the new year, they were last place in the league!!!! In the second half of the season, they have been practically unbeatable. They have been playing playoff style hockey for the past 4 months. plus, with their acquisitions at the trade deadline, they got even better. Watch out for these guys! they will be tough to beat. i'm still predicting them in 6 games.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  19:16:37  Show Profile
HAHAHA...you guys are funny....Montreal to win the cup....theres no chance that any eastern team let alone the habs with the price is wrong, have of winning the cup this year. There's no weak oiler team to beat for a weak east team to win. The west will prevail.

Can't go...The Roads Are Dirty
Go to Top of Page

Guest8808
( )

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  11:18:20
I picked otehr therres one team you didnt pick which is going all the way and winning it it is the colorado avalanche it will be the colorado avalanche or the caps
Go to Top of Page

lastlineofd
Top Prospect

13 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  12:26:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wyntyre

let alone the habs with the price is wrong

Give the kid a freakin break, his numbers are impeccable. 1.57 GAA and a .943 Save Percentage. Both 4th in the Playoffs, third really, highly doubt Cujo will play much if at all the rest of the way.

The guy won the World Junior Championships with Canada. Then went on to win the Calder Cup and the Butterfield Trophy as playoff MVP at the age of 19.

Pretty impressive resume for someone who is 20 years old.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  16:58:20  Show Profile
I have to disagree, Price is definitely settling down, but he's giving up quite a few juicy rebounds. He has been outstanding throughout the season, he hasn't played half badly in the playoffs. But I can pick out a few other goalies behind himin stas that have outplayed him. Numbers don't tell the story, the story does.

I'm not doubting Price's abilities, he has been the best rookie goalie by far (Maybe the only rookie starter) but he has buckled a bit under pressure, unlike Ellis

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 04/15/2008 17:21:41
Go to Top of Page

lastlineofd
Top Prospect

13 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  17:07:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

I ahve to disagree, Price is definitely settling down, but he's giving up quite a few juicy rebounds. He has been outstanding throughout the season, he hasn't played half badly in the playoffs. But I can pick out a few other goalies behind himin stas that have outplayed him. Numbers don't tell the story, the story does.

I'm not doubting Price's abilities, he has been the best rookie goalie by far (Maybe the only rookie starter) but he has buckled a bit under pressure, unlike Ellis

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Fair enough, I'll take a conservative approach and say that he has played well enough for them to win.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:02:49
its the flyers year
Go to Top of Page

KeithQuinn
Top Prospect

41 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  15:11:48  Show Profile
come on people go pens

Go to Top of Page

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  21:56:47
I know this is an old post but I have to say that I was suprosed that the Pens went so easily. I expected a bit more of a fight from them. Next year they should be pretty good. I like the team they have now, plus one more year of experience. looks good.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  22:09:15  Show Profile
Hey LF101 what happened to your prediction of Ottawa.

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  18:17:11  Show Profile
yay detroit wins i was right. but i was wrong about their goaltending. chris osggood was outstanding throughout the playoffs.

quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

i an going to say detroit its just there number 1 in the nhl. so that gives them the best chance right. but then san jose is doing really well too. but the only downsides i see in detroit winning is their goaltending, and that there always first on the nhl and they always come up short

maybe this is the year

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  07:35:00  Show Profile
quote:

yay detroit wins i was right. but i was wrong about their goaltending. chris osggood was outstanding throughout the playoffs.

maybe this is the year

"They always come up short....maybe this is the year" hardly constitutes a correct prediction and the claim of "I was right". If anything you predicted them to come up short but threw in a disclaimer of 'I could be wrong though'.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  10:50:13  Show Profile
Locking this up!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page