Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Gilbert = 24m ? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:11:03  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=360127

Oilers rookie defenseman, Tom Gilbert recently signed a 6 year deal worth 24m. Now the questions is, Is he worth it?

Choices:

Worth It
Worth More
Worth Less
Other (Not Sure What But Oh Well)

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:14:02  Reply with Quote
To me I think he is worth less. Yes he broke Coffey's goals for a defenseman in rookie season record, which is outstanding but to me that doesn't make it 4m / year quality. I think he is a superb player and I am delighted to have him on the team for this long because he will soon be a premier defenseman, atleast in my books. I'd say he's worht maybe 2.5m or something around there, but 4m is a stretch. Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  12:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Kevin Lowe has adopted the theory that you pay a player for not only current but potential in the future.

This appears to be the second contract that he offered with this theory. The first was Dustin Penner. Is Penner worth $4.25 million today?? More than likely not. However, in 3-4 years, the cap will more than likely be in an around $60+ million and a player who throws in 30 goals a year will be more than likely in the $5+ million range. If Penner is doing that, he is a steal at $4.25 million. What if Penner is scoring 40+ per year?? He is so much more than a steal at $4.25 million.

Same thing with Gilbert. The kid had a wicked season this year and proved to get better and better. Again, is he worth $4 million today?? More than likely not. In 3 year, he has the potential to be an elite, top 20 defenseman in the league. Will he be worth $4 million at that point? No, he will be worth far more than that. And Lowe will have him locked in for another 3 years at $4 million.

It's a risk, and Lowe will look like either a hero or a goat. If these players reach their potential, he will have highly skilled, productive players who are worth far more than what he is paying them.

It's either brilliant money management in a cap system or it's completely foolish. Only time will tell.

That's my take on it.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  19:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think he is worth that much THIS year but I say he will be and like beans said earlier it will turn into a bit of a steal
Go to Top of Page

Guest8808
( )

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  11:14:43  Reply with Quote
No more like a top fifteen defenseman But other than that beans said it perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

lastlineofd
Top Prospect

13 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  12:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bad deal, Beans hit the nail on the head. If he continues to pan out overtime it will be a great deal. If it doesn't its only 4 mil a year. In terms of other moves out there its really not that risky.

Edited by - lastlineofd on 04/15/2008 12:04:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page