Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Avery's shenanigans Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  13:19:01  Show Profile
Many of you no doubt saw Sean Avery's shenanigans on Sunday when he sat in front of Brodeur with his back to the play and waved his stick in Brodeur's face.

In my mind there are two goals to this action.

1) Distract Brodeur leading to potential scoring chances / goals.

2) Instigate a Devils player into putting Avery in his place thus earning the Rangers a power play opportunity.

While there's nothing wrong with camping out in front of a goalie to block his vision I think Avery's shenanigans crossed the line. I think that an easy way to prevent the same sort of thing from becoming a regular occurence that the enxt time Avery (or anyone else) pulls that stick-waving, back-to-the-play schtick that they should be assessed a 10 minute misconduct. This would send a clear message that those type of antics aren't permitted. At the same time, it would not unduly hinder the penalized team because there would be no power-play opportunity.

Avery's actions clearly fall under Rule 75.4 (iii):

75.4 Misconduct penalties shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(iii) Any player or goalkeeper who, after warning by the Referee, persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusive language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty.

What do you think?

(I can't claim credit for this idea though, that goes to Ron McLean).

Edited by - spade632 on 04/14/2008 13:20:34

OvertimeMark11
Top Prospect

16 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  09:25:09  Show Profile
hmm yes very well put
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  10:41:15  Show Profile
Hi guys, this topic is well under way at this post, check it out: http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3978
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page