Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Avery's Antics Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  13:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Well, I've come this far so I'll go one further. And I know it is a far far off analogy (and that it can be distinguished in many ways) and I really do not mean to offend anyone, but I'll throw out the next comment just to emphasize the point about the hypocrisy of the "shaking hands" thing. For those of you who think Avery's actions were okay on the basis that you "do anything" to win a hockey game", and then go on to think that Marty should have shaken his hand and just said "Nice series, good luck", it almost seems to me like you would be for a concentration camp survivor shaking hands with his captor who taunted him for years at the end of a war, and saying "Nice war, good luck"

WOW!!! Nice analogy, good luck. Concentration camp survivor? WOW!!!

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  14:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know Oil. The analogy is far off. But so too is the equation of the sport of hockey to "war". My point. You can't have it both ways. If hockey equals war, which I think is a ridiculous analogy, but if it does, and there is no line as to "sportsmanlike conduct", then having the players shake hands at centre ice at the end of a series is a silly hypocritical practice with no meaning (maybe I shouldn't have used the analogy as the rest of my post may have been adequate for the point I was trying to make)

Don't get me wrong. I love that they shake hands. But when a guy crosses that "line", I'll forgive a player for not shaking that guy's hand.

Edited by - andyhack on 04/19/2008 14:27:22
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  18:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my take on the events that happened during this series. Avery's a d***. Brodeur isn't much better, but his defensemen don't hsve any respect for his legacy, or his importance for the team. The "Fatso" quote was out of line, but absolutely priceless. Regardless, the Rangers will be out in the 2nd round.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  15:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not one of the people saying that it's ok to do anything to win the game. In fact, I completely disagree. Do I think Avery crossed the line?? Yeah, I guess. He didn't really break any rules but I can appreciate the view of his actions not being part of the game. However, does that mean that gives Brodeur to be a meatball now?? Seriously, it's like Junior High. Avery crossed the line first, so now I can cross the line???

Crap. Both actions, one could say, were lacking class. Can anyone else out there think of a single time where a player shook hands were the entire opposing team except one player???

Regardless of the reasons as to why, you shake hands at the end of the series if you have class. What Brodeur did is childish, classless, and the guy lost respect that day.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  17:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xte-Vtxg-m8

Watch the famous Hunter-Turgeon thing above. Now if Turgeon wouldn't have been as badly injured as he ended up being, and would have been there for the handshake ceremony at the end of the series, would you have expected him to shake Dale Hunter's hand after a cheapshot like that?

Beans - in my opinion you are dead wrong on this one. Hockey is a tough game and the line is hard to see sometimes, yes, but when it is crossed the handshake thing becomes unnecessary. It's not a question of "he did something bad, so I am going to do something bad too". It's simply that any guy who does something beyond the "line" actually isn't even worthy of participating in the very classy custom of the shaking hands after a tough battle. So if a victim of a player's "line crossing" decides not to shake that player's hand, that is absolutely not a reflection on the player's class in my book.

Edit - Gerry Cheevers and Billy Smith did not believe in shaking hands at the end of a series (and didn't) - now I don't agree with that, BUT, if the idea is that a guy's hand should be shaken NO MATTER WHAT, then I start thinking that maybe Smith and Cheevers were onto something

Edited by - andyhack on 04/20/2008 17:35:20
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  22:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockey is played with emotion. I don't fault Brodeur in the least. If it were me I probably would have shook his hand and simultaneously cracked Avery in the beak with my free hand.
Shaking hands with him is akin to saying what he did was ok. What he did was not ok. People who don't understand this have no comprehension of what sportsmanship is. These are the same types of people who have helped the game degrade to it's current state. Zero respect for anyone or anything. It's sad.
But what are ya gonna do eh?

Edited by - willus3 on 04/20/2008 22:27:29
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  01:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all fairness, I didn't see Avery shake Brodeur's hand either. He must have been feeling some shame or embarrassment over something.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9060
( )

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  06:52:50  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5769

i think everyone that thinks that was a good move by avery is stupid! HOW IS THAT A GOOD MOVE? it is like steriods and baseball! it kills the sport of hockey and makes hockey look horrible!!!!!! avery is a jerK!!!

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  07:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old and dead topic, but it's the first I've seen of it. Here's what I'd like to know....do you really think that the rangers coach put Avery out there on a 5-3 powerplay in a playoff game without any clue that he was going to go out there and do that? I highly doubt it. If I was a betting man this wasn't Averys idea at all. I don't know the numbers but I'd be curious to see how much playing time he actually got on PP's. Also, if Avery did this out of his own perogative and the coach had no clue he was going to do it don't you think he would have put a quick end to it?

Everyone's pretty quick to lynch Avery when he might not be the only fox in the henhouse...

Go to Top of Page

LuonGod
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  09:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont get me wrong, I think Avery is a huge goofball that is disrespectful and thinks of only himself, but with that said, I think the stick waiving incident was appropriate in a sense. I think this because of the complexity of the game. A PRO goalie, or anyone on an NHL ice surface should be able to deal with instigation. I dont agree at all with his words spoken off ice. As long as its within the rules and not harmful physically I think a player should have every right to get under the skin of an opponent, even verbally.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page