Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 which canadian team has best chance to win cup? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4167
( )

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  21:08:49  Reply with Quote
looking at rosters, pre-season stats and what not, which canadian team has the best chance at a cup this year? many say montreal cause they did good last year and all the young guns are maturing. why not vancouver? unbeaten in preseason and team is really getting good chemistry. ohh and include top scorer for the team(s)!

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  01:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gods of hockey have decided that destiny is in favour of the Montreal Canadiens this season. Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa all have good teams, but hardly championship-worthy. Vancouver is fine, but they certainly lack scoring depth. Sure they had a solid preseason but the Leafs used to always have great preseasons...in the 80's, so forgive me if I don't put much value in that. Speaking of Leafs, they have no chance of doing anything this year.

So basically I think Montreal has the best chance of the Great White North's representatives, while I can only rule out the Leafs altogether.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7224
( )

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  10:40:19  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree. Montreal is by far the best Canadian team. Calgary is up there as well. But if anyone asked me who I predicted winning the cup this year of all the teams (never mind Canadian teams) I would say Montreal.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a Montreal - Calgary final. That probably wont happen but it would be nice...

Leading scorer for Montreal: Andrei Kostistyn - 80 pts but thats hard to say since 7 other players (Kovalev, Koivu, Tangay, S. Kostistyn, Hingins, Plekanec and Lang) are likely to collect between 60 and 80 points.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4910
( )

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  15:34:55  Reply with Quote
Im from Montreal, and I've been a Habs'fan for years....I just dont see Montreal winning the cup. Montreal finished first in East last year, but they didnt have any injuries to their key players all year. Kovalev had his best season ever and I dont think he can repeat. But Mtl is still Canada's best chance for the cup because the Eastern conference is weaker and all teams are about the same strenght except the 3-4 bottom teams.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  20:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4910

Kovalev had his best season ever and I dont think he can repeat.

Second best season, actually.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  05:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hop off the bandwagon Habs fans, here's my Canadian picks in order for most likely to bring the Cup back where it belongs.

1. Calgary
Not the sexy pick, I know - but they are a very good team built for the playoffs, with experienced coaching to boot (I know, I know, but - he gets results). Kipper and Iginla are the keys as always.

2. Montreal
Somewhat behind Calgary, IMO - soft on defence, and they can't expect all the good years from the same crew for a second year in a row. And the sophomore year for a goalie is a tough one . . . I smell big time failure this year for the Habs, but I'll put them in second on last year's performance for now.

3. Ottawa
Goalie controversy gone, this is a team that only needs their three big guns shooting bullets and the defence to play solid. And the goalie needs to be huge . . . still - if they played their asses off to beat one of the better teams in the east (Pittsburgh, the Rangers et al), then maaaaybeee . . .

4. Edmonton
Following Ottawa's pipe dream is the Oilers, who have a fast skating, young team with lots of promise. With all of the depth and toughness and experience in the west, it would seem to be improbable, and it would be - except that, they made the final a few years ago in a very similar situation. Who knows?

5. Toronto
Probably the only unanimous pick for everyone to finish last, but they could surprise the occasional team with youngsters Schenn and Grabovski looking good in the preseason. Surprise enough to make the playoffs, and ride Toskala to the promised land? Fat chance.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  08:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So ou think Toronto has a better chance than Vancouver? Considering they didn't even make your list.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  01:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

So ou think Toronto has a better chance than Vancouver? Considering they didn't even make your list.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

LOL!!! Ouch, I guess so!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  06:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rofl . . . holy s*** . . . yeah.
So Sorry, Canuck fans - no slight intended there, an honest mistake.

I'd put the Canucks above the Leafs at:

5. Vancouver
It's team Luongo, with even fewer offensive pieces than before, and that hurts for a team with so few goals. I know they did great in pre-season, but when the real games start, I can't see them getting in the playoffs - not with other improved teams vying to get in as well (Chicago, Phoenix). Dream on, or better yet - hope Sundin comes to town.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  06:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Hop off the bandwagon Habs fans, here's my Canadian picks in order for most likely to bring the Cup back where it belongs.

1. Calgary
Not the sexy pick, I know - but they are a very good team built for the playoffs, with experienced coaching to boot (I know, I know, but - he gets results). Kipper and Iginla are the keys as always.

2. Montreal
Somewhat behind Calgary, IMO - soft on defence, and they can't expect all the good years from the same crew for a second year in a row. And the sophomore year for a goalie is a tough one . . . I smell big time failure this year for the Habs, but I'll put them in second on last year's performance for now.

3. Ottawa
Goalie controversy gone, this is a team that only needs their three big guns shooting bullets and the defence to play solid. And the goalie needs to be huge . . . still - if they played their asses off to beat one of the better teams in the east (Pittsburgh, the Rangers et al), then maaaaybeee . . .

4. Edmonton
Following Ottawa's pipe dream is the Oilers, who have a fast skating, young team with lots of promise. With all of the depth and toughness and experience in the west, it would seem to be improbable, and it would be - except that, they made the final a few years ago in a very similar situation. Who knows?

5. Toronto
Probably the only unanimous pick for everyone to finish last, but they could surprise the occasional team with youngsters Schenn and Grabovski looking good in the preseason. Surprise enough to make the playoffs, and ride Toskala to the promised land? Fat chance.

i'm a habs fan i ve lived all my life in the city that bleeds for the habs and i can agree with you list but i have to disagree on one point and add another,,, our D is the best in the east... Mike Komisarek is the best Defensive D man in the conference Roman Hamirlik is a horse and as constant as they get josh Georges will have another tremendous year Yannick weaber is proved he will be a blue chipper and he we be back from the farm sooner than later,,, and Markov is a points machine.... no there is no soft spot on our D but the ginx will be upon us price has his second year ahead and he has a lot to prove despite what most habs fans think he is no god and hes not even a number one calibre goalie yet it takes more than 20 games to prove you got what it takes.... (before you jump all over me i know he played more than 20 games but he was sent down to the farm because he wasn't cutting it... he played 20 games as a number 1)

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

LuonGod
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  09:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say Vancouver at this point. I know I know, many think the Canucks are great after the pre-season and the romping of the flames. I think this team needs just a bit more push and they could make the playoffs. I know its early in the season, but I am impressed with their speed and control. I have both Sedins in my pool so Im hoping they can do it up this year
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page