Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Montreal
 Carey Price- over or under rated? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest4381
( )

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  04:59:08  Reply with Quote
leafs fan94, all your posts are rediculous. you have quite a mouth for a 14 year old. where's pogge this season? oh yeah, in the minors. where will pogge be next season? oh yeah, in the minors!
Go to Top of Page

bmasella
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  19:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are many pics of him on the internet smoking and partying

he would b twice the player if he was disciplined

Eat, Sleep, Play Hockey
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  20:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmasella

there are many pics of him on the internet smoking and partying

he would b twice the player if he was disciplined

Eat, Sleep, Play Hockey

I agree, he has to get his focus back and forget about the non-sense and stop being so hard on himself.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  20:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Price has proven this year that he is very overrated.. Alot like Toskala, Price gives up to easily, doesn't try and allows way too many easy goals... Halak was the better Habs goalie by far. I think Halak is underrated and Price is OVERRATED
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  10:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, that whole Montreal team was overhyped, not Just Price. Was it a mistake to get rid of Huet, Yes. Should have signed him to a journeyman contract and peddled Halak. If I was going to pick a player underrated on that team I would say it was Halak. Now they wont get what they could have for Halak after that horrible second half of the season.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 05/27/2009 16:09:02
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  15:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One word: Inconsistent

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0192
( )

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  10:16:06  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Actually, that whole Montreal team was overhyped, not Just Price. Was it a mistake to get rid of Huet, Yes. Should have signed him to a journeyman contract and peddled Halak. If I was going to pick a player underrated on that team I would say it was Halak. Now they wont get what they could have for Halak after that horrible second half of the season.

It was no mistake getting rid of Huet, a UFA, who the Habs would have lost for nothing anyway. There is no way in the world they match what Chicago overpaid for him to be an insanely expensive backup. People seem to forget that he himself could be pretty inconsistent and was prone to the garbage goal. He has never won a playoff series.

Price was 16-4-5 with a 2.30 GAA before he injured his ankle. I think he came back too soon to take part in the allstar festivities, even in the young-guns game he didn't look right. You don't become crap overnight.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8143
( )

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  10:35:41  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think he came back too soon to take part in the allstar festivities, even in the young-guns game he didn't look right. You don't become crap overnight.

How else could Luke Schenn dangle his ass in the youngstars game lol
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  10:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't become crap overnight? Ask any Red Sox fan how they feel about David Ortiz right now.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  06:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

You don't become crap overnight? Ask any Red Sox fan how they feel about David Ortiz right now.

You can become crap overnight...for proof, look at the entire Habs team, 1st place to barely, barely making the playoffs. Went from good, to crap :)

As for Price, overrated, no way in hell he should have been the all-star starter.

MSC, I'll only say one thing about Papi, another prime example of becoming crap overnight, but funny that he has one of his worst starts once the "Manny steriod fiasco" comes up? wink-wink... lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Guest2622
( )

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  10:56:18  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

quote:
Originally posted by MSC

You can become crap overnight...for proof, look at the entire Habs team, 1st place to barely, barely making the playoffs. Went from good, to crap :)

As for Price, overrated, no way in hell he should have been the all-star starter.

MSC, I'll only say one thing about Papi, another prime example of becoming crap overnight, but funny that he has one of his worst starts once the "Manny steriod fiasco" comes up? wink-wink... lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford

Umm, Rambo, that wasn't overnight, that was over a season. And they still did better than your Leafs. As for Price, at that point he had some of the best numbers, so he absolutely deserved to be the starter. Goddam people have extremely short and selective memories!

Oh right! Sorry! Leafs fans, I guess you have no choice.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  13:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Price did have good numbers at the all star break but they weren't better than guys like Henrik Lundqvist or Tim Thomas.

In the hockey world, going from first to BARLEY a playoff team in 1 season is pretty much overnight.. same thing happened to Ottawa the year before. And Buffalo as well lol.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Seventy7Fifty2
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  08:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Price did have good numbers at the all star break but they weren't better than guys like Henrik Lundqvist or Tim Thomas.

In the hockey world, going from first to BARLEY a playoff team in 1 season is pretty much overnight.. same thing happened to Ottawa the year before. And Buffalo as well lol.

Agree - Henrik and Tim's numbers were good too... but they are not 20 years old carrying these numbers, are they. They're veterans putting up numbers expected of them.
So "" YES "" Price was #1 at the all star break and NOT overrated at that time either.
Where are Tim and Henrik now? AND I'm sure their defence is much stronger the Price's was.
So "" YES "" Price is NOT over-rated at this point of time either!
Why don't we compare Price to other 20 year-olds currently in the NHL as #1 on their team?
Wait ... I don't think there are any.... so Price is under-rated???

Of course Price is the future, he's only starting. Look at Fleury - he started very young and was questionable as Pens "future"... where is HE now?
Finally - I cann't leave without a shot at leafs:
Poggie is a young goalie too...? where is HE???
I guess this helps confirm again that Price is NOT over-rated.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  20:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seventy7Fifty2

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Agree - Henrik and Tim's numbers were good too... but they are not 20 years old carrying these numbers, are they. They're veterans putting up numbers expected of them.
So "" YES "" Price was #1 at the all star break and NOT overrated at that time either.
Where are Tim and Henrik now? AND I'm sure their defence is much stronger the Price's was.
So "" YES "" Price is NOT over-rated at this point of time either!
Why don't we compare Price to other 20 year-olds currently in the NHL as #1 on their team?
Wait ... I don't think there are any.... so Price is under-rated???

Of course Price is the future, he's only starting. Look at Fleury - he started very young and was questionable as Pens "future"... where is HE now?
Finally - I cann't leave without a shot at leafs:
Poggie is a young goalie too...? where is HE???
I guess this helps confirm again that Price is NOT over-rated.

Ever heard of a guy named Steve Mason? Jw. He seems to be doing just fine, with the pressure of taking his team to the playoffs for the first time ever (granted they got swept and the pressure there is no where near Montreal's in the 100th year). Hopefully Price can bounce back from this season, he is a promising young goalie for sure. Price was over-rated last season, i dont understand how anyone can deny that. However, one day he may live up to the hype.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  04:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets not forget the pressure on a goaltender in a market like Montreal. There was a ton of pressure for Price to back up his stellar play last year and take the Habs to the cup in their centennial year. I think that may have been too much for him especially in Montreal, the fans there are probably harder on their players then anywhere else.
I remember a goaltender who played in Montreal and finally the pressure got to him, he was pretty good too. I am trying to remember......oh ya it was a guy by the name of Patrick Roy or ST. Patrick as he was known in Montreal.
Have some patience with the kid, Price should turn out fine.

Edited by - Porkchop73 on 06/02/2009 04:51:20
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  16:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you watch the final game where Roy threw his stick and sat on the bench in the middle of the game. He was boo'd by the crowd the whole game and his team gave up on him. It was embarrasing, especially in hindsight knowing he carried on to his second franchise and continued his winning ways becoming 1 - 3rd all time goalie ever.

Price is a good goalie who will be wasted in this Montreal market. They gotta move him or put a solid team on the ice or they will embarras this kid.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2622
( )

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:22:54  Reply with Quote
there is now talk that the Habs are going after Francois Allaire as their new goaltending coach. If they land him, that is the best thing that could happen to Price.
Go to Top of Page

Seventy7Fifty2
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  10:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Ever heard of a guy named Steve Mason? Jw. He seems to be doing just fine, with the pressure of taking his team to the playoffs for the first time ever (granted they got swept and the pressure there is no where near Montreal's in the 100th year). Hopefully Price can bounce back from this season, he is a promising young goalie for sure. Price was over-rated last season, i dont understand how anyone can deny that. However, one day he may live up to the hype.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
[/quote]

Steve Mason did not start the season knowing he was #1 - he had nothing to loose when he was put in, and played amazingly.
Price started the season with a TON of pressure as almost a "controversial" #1, if not "the" #1.
Completely different situation than Mason's.
Wait and see if Mason will crack next year if he is slated as #1...?
So, NO - Price is not and was not over-rated.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  13:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
way over rated welcome to justin pogge land habs fans
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know. 53 saves the other night, matching a 100 year old clubs franchise record???

I think he has the skills, I think he has the head, but I think he might have been brought in too soon. A year or two in the AHL would have been gold.

I also think his team (much like any goalie playing for TO these days) does NOTHING to support him. I wonder if it's something in the dressing room?? The Hab seem to play well for Halak and then disappear for Price???
Go to Top of Page

Guest0212
( )

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  16:05:41  Reply with Quote
I agree, to post an odd comparison, it's like Halladay and the Jays... how does a pitcher throw 3+ complete game losses a year, that's ridiculous. No run support those days...
Go to Top of Page

Guest0212
( )

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  16:06:34  Reply with Quote
one qualifier to the last statement I'm not comparing Halak's ability as a goalie to Halladay's as a pitcher, just the situation.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  00:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I refuse to write this kid off just yet. It wasn't so long ago, he was in the conversation for Canada's goalie of the future. Those throwing words like that around aren't exactly "green" when it comes to evaluating talent.

I agree with Beans, too much too soon for the kid, especially in a market like Montreal!

Overrated, underrated? Tough call, he's obviously not yet lived up to the hype, but i'm one who would not give up on him just yet?
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  09:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I refuse to write this kid off just yet. It wasn't so long ago, he was in the conversation for Canada's goalie of the future. Those throwing words like that around aren't exactly "green" when it comes to evaluating talent.

I agree with Beans, too much too soon for the kid, especially in a market like Montreal!

Overrated, underrated? Tough call, he's obviously not yet lived up to the hype, but i'm one who would not give up on him just yet?

Alex,

you are right to not write off a 22 year old goalie yet. And considering that this is a position notorious for their late bloomers, that makes your choice even better.

Price has what? 5 or 6 40+ save games this year?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  12:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odin, yeah, he's had some nice games thus far. The thing with him is this. There're some goalies who can thrive in a market like Montreal. Others struggle, especially at that young age. I'd like to think they'd stick with him and he'd mature into the goalie they expected him to be but who knows? It's possible that a change of scenery is what he needs? Maybe playing in a city where there's less pressure would help? Maybe he matures and grows into the role in the pressure cooker that Montreal represents?

Regardless, i certainly think he's got a lot of good hockey left in him!
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  12:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget, he is only going into his 3rd season. From what I have seen, he has his confidence back, and outside of the amped up media coverage there (they never blow anything out of proportion), he will fine as long as he keeps working. I hope he doesn't read the papers!

Halak scares me a little. He is good, but seems to have a short shelf-life. Whenever he goes into his 4th or 5th game, he has a meltdown.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page