Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Jordan Staal vs. Jeff Carter Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  09:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
this is not so much a poll as who is the better player or who you would rather on your team, more so i would like to know do you believe these players development is being stifled by their current role on their current club? And who's development has been more stifled?

Pasty

Choices:

Carter
Staal
neither of them are being stifled

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  09:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe both these young men have the potential for art ross trophies and even the hart one day both young big strong power centermen with loads of skill and a good sense for the game in both ends of the rink. They both play on the 3rd line on their respective teams and i feel their offensive upside is being stifled by their teams desire to turn these players into defensive forwards. I see no reason why either of these guys couldn;t be first line players and score 80 plus points a year except for how their teams have decided to use their skills.

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  11:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

I believe both these young men have the potential for art ross trophies and even the hart one day both young big strong power centermen with loads of skill and a good sense for the game in both ends of the rink. They both play on the 3rd line on their respective teams and i feel their offensive upside is being stifled by their teams desire to turn these players into defensive forwards. I see no reason why either of these guys couldn;t be first line players and score 80 plus points a year except for how their teams have decided to use their skills.

Pasty

Wow. Again Wow. I don't think either of these players has shown anthing anywhere enough to be put into the same category as a Kovalchuk/ Gaborik/ Heatley/ Getzlaf/ E.Staal quite yet (and these are just the 80-90 pts guys).

Carter Stifled? I certainly dont think so. Carter is 2nd in ice-time for Philadelphia forwards in the playoffs, and is a respectable 5th in points and this pretty well aligns with what happened in the regular season (where he had basically equal ice-time to Briere and Knuble. Only Richards had significantly more ice-time. He also had 18 PP points and 2 SHGs which aint too shabby). I think they are giving him ample time and opportunity to prove his worth. Carter is still relatively young and may yet become an elite player, but *I* certainly don't believe that his progress is being hampered.

J.Staal Stifled? Well.. I think there is a better argument for this here, even thou I still don't agree. He's certainly not going to be given Crosby/Malkin type ice-time or opportunities, but I would say that he has still been given a good opportunity to show what he can do - he even gets to play with Crosby or Malkin sometimes! Those are the times to prove you can do it. If you do, you stay on the line, if you don't, you don't. Staal is still deemed important enought to be given tons of ice-time (4th on the Pens!) but he hasnt contributed in that time as well as he did last year.

In my personal opinion, Jeff is a more talented player and has a better chance of becoming a 1st line player. Both are relatively young, and are still developing.. but I dont see neither being stifeled by their respective teams... they are getting ample time to prove their worth, and it's up to them to show what they can do.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6727
( )

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  11:34:31  Reply with Quote
Couldnt have said it better myself. I totally agree.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6677
( )

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  22:16:42  Reply with Quote
Jordan Staal is definitely being stifled, 3 line checker??? Come on!! I mean he plays the role well but I think it is pretty obvious he offensive skills are not given the best opportunity to be displayed.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  07:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jordan Staal has been given PLENTY of opportunities, guests! Was given ample chances during the regular season to stick on a line with Crosby or Malkin . . . let's face it, if Staal had had another monster year like his first, instead of getting Hossa, the Pens might have gone for a Campbell or Foote at the deadline! At any rate, Staal is where he deserves to play right now, as it could be argued that, based on play/results, he is being given too much ice-time . . .

Carter is playing well, right where he should be in terms of ice-time, I think. Certainly far from stifled.

I'd take Carter over Staal right now, but who knows in a couple of years . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  10:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Jordan Staal has been given PLENTY of opportunities, guests! Was given ample chances during the regular season to stick on a line with Crosby or Malkin . . . let's face it, if Staal had had another monster year like his first, instead of getting Hossa, the Pens might have gone for a Campbell or Foote at the deadline! At any rate, Staal is where he deserves to play right now, as it could be argued that, based on play/results, he is being given too much ice-time . . .

Carter is playing well, right where he should be in terms of ice-time, I think. Certainly far from stifled.

I'd take Carter over Staal right now, but who knows in a couple of years . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

uhhh staal sees little to no time with malkin and crosby?? they see time on the pp together other then that the three players don;t play together,, espcially staal,, and the question is not ice time in either case,, a guy like kris draper gets loads of ice time in detroit with guys like zet and dat, i'm talking about the role they have been asked to play. Staal will often spend the full pk on the ice and he is good at it but when you play 5 on 5 on the 3rd line and both 1 and 2 have malkin and crosby geared for goals don't tell me therrien isn;t telling jordan to play a chacking role against the other teams top lines? Carter is the same,, i know briere and he are both centers and then there is richards too which bumps carter down to the third line center but he is a big enough boy convert him to the wing and play him on the top line! or get rid of briere you'e better off with carter anyway!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest4416
( )

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  13:32:48  Reply with Quote
Players *earn* their spots and where they play. If they get the ice-time, it's up to them to prove where they should be, Even if it's on the 3rd line. Both Carter and Staal are given much more opportunties than any regular 3rd liner.. they play in most situations and get to play on the top lines as well. They are where they are because they *deserve* to be there. With the amount of ice-time they get, if they showed more, they would bump others ahead of them... battle of the fittest.
They are definately not being stifled... but they are young, and are still developing. This is normal progression if you ask me. You cannot take your young inexperienced and *flawed* players and just put them on the 1st line because they may (or may not) have the potential to be 1st line players... that's just dumb unless you have such a bad team that you have no choice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page